Newsgroups: sci.lang
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2022 08:35:50 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: ignorance of ling. & languages -- bei-bei-bei
From: henha...@gmail.com (henh...@gmail.com)
 by: henh...@gmail.com - Sat, 11 Jun 2022 15:35 UTC

i recently noticed 2 instances of PTD's betraying of his ignorance of linguistics and/or languages.

this one (below) is the MORE obvious one.

What are some other instances that you remember ?

___________________________

PTD fails to understand that this joke works particularly well
in German (the bei-bei-bei pattern).

>> (does this joke (linguistically, phrasally) work as well in French ? )

PTD's poor understanding of the whole situation
(why he fails to understand this simple question)
must come mainly from his poor French (... I'd guess).

___________________________

On 5/28/22, 'Peter T. Daniels' wrote:

>> Ein Araber, ein Deutscher und ein Franzose sitzen in Kairo
>> in einem Kaffeehaus.
>>
>> Kommt eine rassige Schönheit vorbeigetippelt.
>>
>> "Bei Allah", sagt der Araber.
>> "Bei Gott!" flüstert der Deutsche.
>> "Bei mir heute abend im Hotel", ruft der Franzose.
>>
>> ---------- This joke appears many times on the net,
>> always with exactly the same wording.
>> I failed to understand it fully, at first.
>>
>> I wrote: ( in Sci.Lang )
>
> Please do not multi-post. (But it does not appear in my sci.lang.)
>
>> 1. I understand the joke perfectly.
>> But it puzzles me because it's not very funny.
>> I wonder if the only reason it's not funny
>> to me is because I didn't get it fast enough.
>>
>> and i got enlightenment from an unexpected source.
>>
>> (does this joke (linguistically, phrasally) work as well in French ? )
>

> ? What does the language have to do with it? You can substitute
> any deity names and whichever group you want to insult and still
> have the same (minimal) effect.

tech / sci.lang / ignorance of ling. & languages -- bei-bei-bei