From: jaketb...@steak.com (Jake T)
Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
Subject: homemade deadcat and parabolic
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2021 08:46:54 -0500
 by: Jake T - Sat, 18 Dec 2021 13:46 UTC

What I made and have been using:

https://imgur.com/a/jglDdWy

With the H2 being isolated and on a post at the remote set up, the
deadcat has been effective for up to about 15 mph winds. Beyond that,
wind noise starts to show up. Of course, the umbrella stays indoors for
anything but the mildest breezes.

Re: homemade deadcat and parabolic

<61bdf1b2.17676000@news.eternal-september.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1472&group=rec.audio.pro#1472

From: spa...@spam.com (Don Pearce)
Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
Subject: Re: homemade deadcat and parabolic
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2021 14:35:48 GMT
 by: Don Pearce - Sat, 18 Dec 2021 14:35 UTC

On Sat, 18 Dec 2021 08:46:54 -0500, Jake T <jaketbone@steak.com>
wrote:

>What I made and have been using:
>
>https://imgur.com/a/jglDdWy
>
>With the H2 being isolated and on a post at the remote set up, the
>deadcat has been effective for up to about 15 mph winds. Beyond that,
>wind noise starts to show up. Of course, the umbrella stays indoors for
>anything but the mildest breezes.

That will do. How did you go about locating the focal point?

Re: homemade deadcat and parabolic

<spksgc$odt$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1473&group=rec.audio.pro#1473

From: jaketb...@steak.com (Jake T)
Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2021 09:50:52 -0500
 by: Jake T - Sat, 18 Dec 2021 14:50 UTC

On 12/18/21 9:35 AM, Don Pearce wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Dec 2021 08:46:54 -0500, Jake T <jaketbone@steak.com>
> wrote:
>
>> What I made and have been using:
>>
>> https://imgur.com/a/jglDdWy
>>
>> With the H2 being isolated and on a post at the remote set up, the
>> deadcat has been effective for up to about 15 mph winds. Beyond that,
>> wind noise starts to show up. Of course, the umbrella stays indoors for
>> anything but the mildest breezes.
>
> That will do. How did you go about locating the focal point?

Mainly trial and error. I also used specific frequency dones to hone in
on while moving the H2 back and forth until the signal was strongest.

Re: homemade deadcat and parabolic

<61bdf5f8.18770796@news.eternal-september.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1474&group=rec.audio.pro#1474

From: spa...@spam.com (Don Pearce)
Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2021 14:54:59 GMT
 by: Don Pearce - Sat, 18 Dec 2021 14:54 UTC

On Sat, 18 Dec 2021 09:50:52 -0500, Jake T <jaketbone@steak.com>
wrote:

>On 12/18/21 9:35 AM, Don Pearce wrote:
>> On Sat, 18 Dec 2021 08:46:54 -0500, Jake T <jaketbone@steak.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> What I made and have been using:
>>>
>>> https://imgur.com/a/jglDdWy
>>>
>>> With the H2 being isolated and on a post at the remote set up, the
>>> deadcat has been effective for up to about 15 mph winds. Beyond that,
>>> wind noise starts to show up. Of course, the umbrella stays indoors for
>>> anything but the mildest breezes.
>>
>> That will do. How did you go about locating the focal point?

>Mainly trial and error. I also used specific frequency dones to hone in
>on while moving the H2 back and forth until the signal was strongest.

Well, easy now you have the foil. Point it at the sun and see where
your hand burns quickest! Seriously, hold a piece of paper in front
and you will find the right spot in a moment.

Re: homemade deadcat and parabolic

<spl10l$mtn$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1476&group=rec.audio.pro#1476

From: jaketb...@steak.com (Jake T)
Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2021 11:07:48 -0500
 by: Jake T - Sat, 18 Dec 2021 16:07 UTC

On 12/18/21 9:54 AM, Don Pearce wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Dec 2021 09:50:52 -0500, Jake T <jaketbone@steak.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 12/18/21 9:35 AM, Don Pearce wrote:

>>> That will do. How did you go about locating the focal point?

>> Mainly trial and error. I also used specific frequency dones to hone in
>> on while moving the H2 back and forth until the signal was strongest.
>
> Well, easy now you have the foil. Point it at the sun and see where
> your hand burns quickest! Seriously, hold a piece of paper in front
> and you will find the right spot in a moment.

Never thought of that, lol. Actually, I really do have a 9 square foot
fresnel lens that I was going to use for a solar cooker one time, but
the project never materialized. My initial tests showed temps of 3300 F
at the focal point!