Rocksolid Light

Welcome to novaBBS (click a section below)

mail  files  register  newsreader  groups  login

Message-ID:  

If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts. -- Albert Einstein


tech / rec.bicycles.misc / Detailed deraileur question

SubjectAuthor
* Detailed deraileur questionKenneth Litwak
`* Re: Detailed deraileur questionFrank Krygowski
 +* Re: Detailed deraileur questionKenneth Litwak
 |`* Re: Detailed deraileur questionJohn B.
 | `- Re: Detailed deraileur questionAntti Luode
 `- Re: Detailed deraileur questionJeff Liebermann

1
Detailed deraileur question

<9d59bfd6-dadb-489b-b769-f044b53903efn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=149&group=rec.bicycles.misc#149

  copy link   Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.misc
X-Received: by 2002:a05:622a:386:: with SMTP id j6mr8906305qtx.63.1641772478121;
Sun, 09 Jan 2022 15:54:38 -0800 (PST)
X-Received: by 2002:a25:b9cf:: with SMTP id y15mr92497843ybj.540.1641772477933;
Sun, 09 Jan 2022 15:54:37 -0800 (PST)
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!weretis.net!feeder6.news.weretis.net!news.misty.com!border2.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!news-out.google.com!nntp.google.com!postnews.google.com!google-groups.googlegroups.com!not-for-mail
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.misc
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2022 15:54:37 -0800 (PST)
Injection-Info: google-groups.googlegroups.com; posting-host=2600:6c51:793f:7f9f:b15d:8f3d:222b:f867;
posting-account=RZCeAQoAAACQdcpgx-l3qeHaGlURw7pm
NNTP-Posting-Host: 2600:6c51:793f:7f9f:b15d:8f3d:222b:f867
User-Agent: G2/1.0
MIME-Version: 1.0
Message-ID: <9d59bfd6-dadb-489b-b769-f044b53903efn@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Detailed deraileur question
From: kennethd...@gmail.com (Kenneth Litwak)
Injection-Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2022 23:54:38 +0000
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Lines: 12
 by: Kenneth Litwak - Sun, 9 Jan 2022 23:54 UTC

I have taken my wheel of my Trek Madone to replace tubes countless times. I have not had trouble with the derailleur going back to its normal p[position and working. Not this time. I am attempting to mount it on the skewer of an indoor trainer. I don't know what happed but it is sticking out sideways, not vertical. A;also, there seems to be some sort of "hook" hanging down. I've never seen that before, but it surely belongs around or through something. I believe it is an Ultegra d. I have never had this issue before and I have no idea what to do. I haven't found a Youtube video on the details of a derailleur. I'm not mechanically-inclined. I was a computer programmer for many years and my knowledge of the details of a derailleur is small.. Any suggestions? I can't lug he very heavy trainer and the bike to a shop to get help. I'd have to take the bike off the trainer before going back home. I don't know what to do. Thanks.

Re: Detailed deraileur question

<srhm57$6eb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=150&group=rec.bicycles.misc#150

  copy link   Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.misc rec.bicycles.tech
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!aioe.org!eternal-september.org!reader02.eternal-september.org!.POSTED!not-for-mail
From: frkry...@sbcglobal.net (Frank Krygowski)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Detailed deraileur question
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 11:16:38 -0500
Organization: A noiseless patient Spider
Lines: 21
Message-ID: <srhm57$6eb$1@dont-email.me>
References: <9d59bfd6-dadb-489b-b769-f044b53903efn@googlegroups.com>
Reply-To: frkrygowOMIT@gEEmail.com
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Injection-Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 16:16:39 -0000 (UTC)
Injection-Info: reader02.eternal-september.org; posting-host="3d7c51e779454813161d803613b109a2";
logging-data="6603"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@eternal-september.org"; posting-account="U2FsdGVkX19btvXgBPPsVBbalmOu+MQ0jB2lR8pGJDs="
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20100101
Thunderbird/91.4.1
Cancel-Lock: sha1:9nsQtx9RsMDSsw+iry4b1/h7RSc=
In-Reply-To: <9d59bfd6-dadb-489b-b769-f044b53903efn@googlegroups.com>
X-Antivirus-Status: Clean
Content-Language: en-US
X-Antivirus: Avast (VPS 220110-4, 1/10/2022), Outbound message
 by: Frank Krygowski - Mon, 10 Jan 2022 16:16 UTC

On 1/9/2022 6:54 PM, Kenneth Litwak wrote:
> I have taken my wheel of my Trek Madone to replace tubes countless times. I have not had trouble with the derailleur going back to its normal p[position and working. Not this time. I am attempting to mount it on the skewer of an indoor trainer. I don't know what happed but it is sticking out sideways, not vertical. A;also, there seems to be some sort of "hook" hanging down. I've never seen that before, but it surely belongs around or through something. I believe it is an Ultegra d. I have never had this issue before and I have no idea what to do. I haven't found a Youtube video on the details of a derailleur. I'm not mechanically-inclined. I was a computer programmer for many years and my knowledge of the details of a derailleur is small. Any suggestions? I can't lug he very heavy trainer and the bike to a shop to get help. I'd have to take the bike off the trainer before going back home. I don't know what to do. Thanks.

Your description isn't very clear to me, but I'll bet the "hook" hanging
down is your rear derailleur hanger. See https://tinyurl.com/2awwwtvu

Your derailleur should not be sticking out sideways. If the derailleur
hanger is bent or broken, it's easily replaced. If the carbon fiber
portions of the frame are broken, it's a more complicated repair.

I'd suggest either:

1) taking the bike into a competent shop (no need to take the trainer), or

2) taking a photo of the damage, posting it to a photo hosting site like
Flickr, then asking your question on rec.bicycles.tech

or both. (I'm copying to r.b.tech)

--
- Frank Krygowski

Re: Detailed deraileur question

<864f4866-ffc8-4cf4-a095-d08b5c0be809n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=151&group=rec.bicycles.misc#151

  copy link   Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.misc
X-Received: by 2002:a05:6214:2583:: with SMTP id fq3mr158248qvb.94.1641832039211;
Mon, 10 Jan 2022 08:27:19 -0800 (PST)
X-Received: by 2002:a25:1fc1:: with SMTP id f184mr402346ybf.687.1641832033692;
Mon, 10 Jan 2022 08:27:13 -0800 (PST)
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!weretis.net!feeder6.news.weretis.net!news.misty.com!border2.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!border1.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!news-out.google.com!nntp.google.com!postnews.google.com!google-groups.googlegroups.com!not-for-mail
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.misc
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 08:27:13 -0800 (PST)
In-Reply-To: <srhm57$6eb$1@dont-email.me>
Injection-Info: google-groups.googlegroups.com; posting-host=2600:6c51:793f:7f9f:491a:5bed:30c0:11a1;
posting-account=RZCeAQoAAACQdcpgx-l3qeHaGlURw7pm
NNTP-Posting-Host: 2600:6c51:793f:7f9f:491a:5bed:30c0:11a1
References: <9d59bfd6-dadb-489b-b769-f044b53903efn@googlegroups.com> <srhm57$6eb$1@dont-email.me>
User-Agent: G2/1.0
MIME-Version: 1.0
Message-ID: <864f4866-ffc8-4cf4-a095-d08b5c0be809n@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: Detailed deraileur question
From: kennethd...@gmail.com (Kenneth Litwak)
Injection-Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 16:27:19 +0000
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Lines: 43
 by: Kenneth Litwak - Mon, 10 Jan 2022 16:27 UTC

On Monday, January 10, 2022 at 8:16:41 AM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
> On 1/9/2022 6:54 PM, Kenneth Litwak wrote:
> > I have taken my wheel of my Trek Madone to replace tubes countless times. I have not had trouble with the derailleur going back to its normal p[position and working. Not this time. I am attempting to mount it on the skewer of an indoor trainer. I don't know what happed but it is sticking out sideways, not vertical. A;also, there seems to be some sort of "hook" hanging down. I've never seen that before, but it surely belongs around or through something. I believe it is an Ultegra d. I have never had this issue before and I have no idea what to do. I haven't found a Youtube video on the details of a derailleur. I'm not mechanically-inclined. I was a computer programmer for many years and my knowledge of the details of a derailleur is small. Any suggestions? I can't lug he very heavy trainer and the bike to a shop to get help. I'd have to take the bike off the trainer before going back home. I don't know what to do. Thanks.
> Your description isn't very clear to me, but I'll bet the "hook" hanging
> down is your rear derailleur hanger. See https://tinyurl.com/2awwwtvu
>
> Your derailleur should not be sticking out sideways. If the derailleur
> hanger is bent or broken, it's easily replaced. If the carbon fiber
> portions of the frame are broken, it's a more complicated repair.
>
> I'd suggest either:
>
> 1) taking the bike into a competent shop (no need to take the trainer), or
>
> 2) taking a photo of the damage, posting it to a photo hosting site like
> Flickr, then asking your question on rec.bicycles.tech
>
> or both. (I'm copying to r.b.tech)
>
> --
> - Frank Krygowski

Thanks for the advice, Frank. If the frame is bent or broken, that would be horrible. I can't afford to buy a new frame. I hope it's just the derailleur. I know it should not look like it odes but I haven't been able to figure out, after watching many videos on derailleur installation, what to do. I'll take it to a bike store. Since this has never happened before, and I've had this particular bike since 2012, I'm puzzled why trying to put the frame on the skewer of an indoor trainer I haven't used before would do this.

Re: Detailed deraileur question

<j91ptglm8l8euvikvo5k39j3qs4qq46uo6@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=152&group=rec.bicycles.misc#152

  copy link   Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.misc rec.bicycles.tech
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!weretis.net!feeder6.news.weretis.net!news.misty.com!border2.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!buffer2.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!nntp.supernews.com!news.supernews.com.POSTED!not-for-mail
NNTP-Posting-Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 13:24:30 -0600
From: jef...@cruzio.com (Jeff Liebermann)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Detailed deraileur question
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 11:24:31 -0800
Message-ID: <j91ptglm8l8euvikvo5k39j3qs4qq46uo6@4ax.com>
References: <9d59bfd6-dadb-489b-b769-f044b53903efn@googlegroups.com> <srhm57$6eb$1@dont-email.me>
User-Agent: ForteAgent/8.00.32.1272
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Lines: 33
X-Trace: sv3-xcVo/NsoX1vrcYzIVyvX/UxtI6wi8wz8NQwZ5nYhrwgN41c/GukAkAADIzFR6yaso/qMDz91/b2Bvio!1z6DUUjEbOuzBfZ4NGjgm1XzFPbXMz9yEiDZkqwO7Acctjp90n3O7WwaBtdugy+Az3EtyGqmgWH4!CDOxpXg=
X-Complaints-To: www.supernews.com/docs/abuse.html
X-DMCA-Complaints-To: www.supernews.com/docs/dmca.html
X-Abuse-and-DMCA-Info: Please be sure to forward a copy of ALL headers
X-Abuse-and-DMCA-Info: Otherwise we will be unable to process your complaint properly
X-Postfilter: 1.3.40
X-Original-Bytes: 2402
 by: Jeff Liebermann - Mon, 10 Jan 2022 19:24 UTC

On Mon, 10 Jan 2022 11:16:38 -0500, Frank Krygowski
<frkrygow@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>Your derailleur should not be sticking out sideways. If the derailleur
>hanger is bent or broken, it's easily replaced. If the carbon fiber
>portions of the frame are broken, it's a more complicated repair.

If the derailleur is sideways, I would take a very close look at the
hanger and the frame:
"Trek Madone Dropout and Seatstay Repair"
<https://ruckuscomp.com/news/featured-repair/2016/12/16/trek-madone-dropout-and-seatstay-repair/>
My guess(tm) is that the hanger or seat stay partially failed during a
previous ride. The trainer finished the job causing the partial break
to crack open.

>I'd suggest either:
>
>1) taking the bike into a competent shop (no need to take the trainer), or
>
>2) taking a photo of the damage, posting it to a photo hosting site like
>Flickr, then asking your question on rec.bicycles.tech
>
>or both. (I'm copying to r.b.tech)

3) Provide the rest of the Trek Madone model number and year, such as
"Trek Madone SLR 9 2021". Also, the maker and model number of the
trainer.

--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com
PO Box 272 http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Re: Detailed deraileur question

<m9optgdajs0rqo8surhdvkf3iibbccebek@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=153&group=rec.bicycles.misc#153

  copy link   Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.misc
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!aioe.org!eternal-september.org!reader02.eternal-september.org!.POSTED!not-for-mail
From: slocom...@gmail.com (John B.)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.misc
Subject: Re: Detailed deraileur question
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2022 08:47:09 +0700
Organization: A noiseless patient Spider
Lines: 35
Message-ID: <m9optgdajs0rqo8surhdvkf3iibbccebek@4ax.com>
References: <9d59bfd6-dadb-489b-b769-f044b53903efn@googlegroups.com> <srhm57$6eb$1@dont-email.me> <864f4866-ffc8-4cf4-a095-d08b5c0be809n@googlegroups.com>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Injection-Info: reader02.eternal-september.org; posting-host="672bdd7320bb806784c3515c45eb1d3a";
logging-data="21886"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@eternal-september.org"; posting-account="U2FsdGVkX1/s6YT1mXpRJlhmMx3PsQTWMilCl70W6z4="
User-Agent: ForteAgent/7.10.32.1212
Cancel-Lock: sha1:CwPcb69HgJoWX77wQY04PX2798A=
 by: John B. - Tue, 11 Jan 2022 01:47 UTC

On Mon, 10 Jan 2022 08:27:13 -0800 (PST), Kenneth Litwak
<kennethdlitwak@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Monday, January 10, 2022 at 8:16:41 AM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
>> On 1/9/2022 6:54 PM, Kenneth Litwak wrote:
>> > I have taken my wheel of my Trek Madone to replace tubes countless times. I have not had trouble with the derailleur going back to its normal p[position and working. Not this time. I am attempting to mount it on the skewer of an indoor trainer. I don't know what happed but it is sticking out sideways, not vertical. A;also, there seems to be some sort of "hook" hanging down. I've never seen that before, but it surely belongs around or through something. I believe it is an Ultegra d. I have never had this issue before and I have no idea what to do. I haven't found a Youtube video on the details of a derailleur. I'm not mechanically-inclined. I was a computer programmer for many years and my knowledge of the details of a derailleur is small. Any suggestions? I can't lug he very heavy trainer and the bike to a shop to get help. I'd have to take the bike off the trainer before going back home. I don't know what to do. Thanks.
>> Your description isn't very clear to me, but I'll bet the "hook" hanging
>> down is your rear derailleur hanger. See https://tinyurl.com/2awwwtvu
>>
>> Your derailleur should not be sticking out sideways. If the derailleur
>> hanger is bent or broken, it's easily replaced. If the carbon fiber
>> portions of the frame are broken, it's a more complicated repair.
>>
>> I'd suggest either:
>>
>> 1) taking the bike into a competent shop (no need to take the trainer), or
>>
>> 2) taking a photo of the damage, posting it to a photo hosting site like
>> Flickr, then asking your question on rec.bicycles.tech
>>
>> or both. (I'm copying to r.b.tech)
>>
>> --
>> - Frank Krygowski
>
>Thanks for the advice, Frank. If the frame is bent or broken, that would be horrible. I can't afford to buy a new frame. I hope it's just the derailleur. I know it should not look like it odes but I haven't been able to figure out, after watching many videos on derailleur installation, what to do. I'll take it to a bike store. Since this has never happened before, and I've had this particular bike since 2012, I'm puzzled why trying to put the frame on the skewer of an indoor trainer I haven't used before would do this.

You might look at
https://tinyurl.com/2p9499ua
for examples of bent rear derailers
--
Cheers,

John B.

Re: Detailed deraileur question

<7e52a148-c12a-4a29-88d2-2a7abcf8cdeen@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=160&group=rec.bicycles.misc#160

  copy link   Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.misc
X-Received: by 2002:a05:622a:1649:b0:2de:2dfd:8c89 with SMTP id y9-20020a05622a164900b002de2dfd8c89mr24138931qtj.267.1646239655370;
Wed, 02 Mar 2022 08:47:35 -0800 (PST)
X-Received: by 2002:a81:57c5:0:b0:2d6:eefb:a518 with SMTP id
l188-20020a8157c5000000b002d6eefba518mr31627828ywb.427.1646239655213; Wed, 02
Mar 2022 08:47:35 -0800 (PST)
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!weretis.net!feeder6.news.weretis.net!news.misty.com!border2.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!news-out.google.com!nntp.google.com!postnews.google.com!google-groups.googlegroups.com!not-for-mail
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.misc
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2022 08:47:34 -0800 (PST)
In-Reply-To: <m9optgdajs0rqo8surhdvkf3iibbccebek@4ax.com>
Injection-Info: google-groups.googlegroups.com; posting-host=91.159.196.64; posting-account=an8LogoAAACPfpJ9KdMabjJeqMGukCBs
NNTP-Posting-Host: 91.159.196.64
References: <9d59bfd6-dadb-489b-b769-f044b53903efn@googlegroups.com>
<srhm57$6eb$1@dont-email.me> <864f4866-ffc8-4cf4-a095-d08b5c0be809n@googlegroups.com>
<m9optgdajs0rqo8surhdvkf3iibbccebek@4ax.com>
User-Agent: G2/1.0
MIME-Version: 1.0
Message-ID: <7e52a148-c12a-4a29-88d2-2a7abcf8cdeen@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: Detailed deraileur question
From: luodean...@gmail.com (Antti Luode)
Injection-Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2022 16:47:35 +0000
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Lines: 71
 by: Antti Luode - Wed, 2 Mar 2022 16:47 UTC

On Tuesday, January 11, 2022 at 3:47:17 AM UTC+2, John B. wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Jan 2022 08:27:13 -0800 (PST), Kenneth Litwak
> <kenneth...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >On Monday, January 10, 2022 at 8:16:41 AM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
> >> On 1/9/2022 6:54 PM, Kenneth Litwak wrote:
> >> > I have taken my wheel of my Trek Madone to replace tubes countless times. I have not had trouble with the derailleur going back to its normal p[position and working. Not this time. I am attempting to mount it on the skewer of an indoor trainer. I don't know what happed but it is sticking out sideways, not vertical. A;also, there seems to be some sort of "hook" hanging down. I've never seen that before, but it surely belongs around or through something. I believe it is an Ultegra d. I have never had this issue before and I have no idea what to do. I haven't found a Youtube video on the details of a derailleur. I'm not mechanically-inclined. I was a computer programmer for many years and my knowledge of the details of a derailleur is small. Any suggestions? I can't lug he very heavy trainer and the bike to a shop to get help. I'd have to take the bike off the trainer before going back home. I don't know what to do. Thanks.
> >> Your description isn't very clear to me, but I'll bet the "hook" hanging
> >> down is your rear derailleur hanger. See https://tinyurl.com/2awwwtvu
> >>
> >> Your derailleur should not be sticking out sideways. If the derailleur
> >> hanger is bent or broken, it's easily replaced. If the carbon fiber
> >> portions of the frame are broken, it's a more complicated repair.
> >>
> >> I'd suggest either:
> >>
> >> 1) taking the bike into a competent shop (no need to take the trainer), or
> >>
> >> 2) taking a photo of the damage, posting it to a photo hosting site like
> >> Flickr, then asking your question on rec.bicycles.tech
> >>
> >> or both. (I'm copying to r.b.tech)
> >>
> >> --
> >> - Frank Krygowski
> >
> >Thanks for the advice, Frank. If the frame is bent or broken, that would be horrible. I can't afford to buy a new frame. I hope it's just the derailleur. I know it should not look like it odes but I haven't been able to figure out, after watching many videos on derailleur installation, what to do.. I'll take it to a bike store. Since this has never happened before, and I've had this particular bike since 2012, I'm puzzled why trying to put the frame on the skewer of an indoor trainer I haven't used before would do this.
> You might look at
> https://tinyurl.com/2p9499ua
> for examples of bent rear derailers
> --
> Cheers,
>
> John B.

Youtube has great tutorials on this sort of stuff.

Once you have it all figured out you should get a rear derrailleur adjustment tool to
adjust it. Park tools has a good video in that:

https://youtu.be/tXfvW0L3iLM

It is like a magic wand. I have found that most shifting problems are due
to badly adhusted rear derraileur.

Antti


tech / rec.bicycles.misc / Detailed deraileur question

1
server_pubkey.txt

rocksolid light 0.9.81
clearnet tor