Research is to see what everybody else has seen, and think what nobody else has thought.

tech / rec.audio.pro / Re: Mistaken ideas about audio equipment

SubjectAuthor
* Mistaken ideas about audio equipmentpalli...@gmail.com
+* Re: Mistaken ideas about audio equipmentTobiah
|`- Re: Mistaken ideas about audio equipmentpalli...@gmail.com
+* Re: Mistaken ideas about audio equipmentDon Pearce
|+- Re: Mistaken ideas about audio equipmentDon Pearce
|`- Re: Mistaken ideas about audio equipmentpalli...@gmail.com
`* Re: Mistaken ideas about audio equipmentpalli...@gmail.com
 `* Re: Mistaken ideas about audio equipmentgeoff
  `* Re: Mistaken ideas about audio equipmentpalli...@gmail.com
   `- Re: Mistaken ideas about audio equipmentgeoff

1
Mistaken ideas about audio equipment

<f1426e4a-e6b8-4edb-8a02-077f33dc6151n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1486&group=rec.audio.pro#1486

Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2021 11:25:05 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Mistaken ideas about audio equipment
From: palliso...@gmail.com (palli...@gmail.com)
 by: palli...@gmail.com - Mon, 20 Dec 2021 19:25 UTC

Hi,

working as a repair tech, I often get strange fault reports from customers.
Along the lines of my xxxxx is "doing funny things" followed by a condition that sounds impossible to me.
Examples:

1. DJ complains that the bass keeps audibly dropping out when he uses the crossfader on his desk. " Please fix crossfader ".

2. The headphone output on a large desk is "leaking into the FOH". The owner insists that when he hits the PFL button on a channel with the fader fully down - signal from the associated mic pops up audibly in the FOH mix.

Both these complaints are nonsense - but can you say why?

...... Phil

Re: Mistaken ideas about audio equipment

<spr7va$2r2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1489&group=rec.audio.pro#1489

From: tob...@tobiah.org (Tobiah)
Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
Subject: Re: Mistaken ideas about audio equipment
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2021 16:43:22 -0800
 by: Tobiah - Tue, 21 Dec 2021 00:43 UTC

On 12/20/2021 11:25 AM, palli...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> working as a repair tech, I often get strange fault reports from customers.
> Along the lines of my xxxxx is "doing funny things" followed by a condition that sounds impossible to me.
> Examples:
>
> 1. DJ complains that the bass keeps audibly dropping out when he uses the crossfader on his desk. " Please fix crossfader ".
>
> 2. The headphone output on a large desk is "leaking into the FOH". The owner insists that when he hits the PFL button on a channel with the fader fully down - signal from the associated mic pops up audibly in the FOH mix.
>
> Both these complaints are nonsense - but can you say why?
>
> ..... Phil

Obviously neither claim is valid because both customers
are fucking morons. :)

Re: Mistaken ideas about audio equipment

<c6ff7451-7a33-4b40-bd16-714c53a4ac13n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1490&group=rec.audio.pro#1490

Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2021 17:08:29 -0800 (PST)
From: palliso...@gmail.com (palli...@gmail.com)
 by: palli...@gmail.com - Tue, 21 Dec 2021 01:08 UTC

Tobiah wrote:
==========

> > Both these complaints are nonsense - but can you say why?
> >

> Obviously neither claim is valid because both customers
> are fucking morons. :)

** Nope - but you are.

Both reported what the heard quite accurately.

...... Phil

Re: Mistaken ideas about audio equipment

<61c1af00.7473937@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1491&group=rec.audio.pro#1491

From: spa...@spam.com (Don Pearce)
Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 10:43:11 GMT
 by: Don Pearce - Tue, 21 Dec 2021 10:43 UTC

On Mon, 20 Dec 2021 11:25:05 -0800 (PST), "palli...@gmail.com"
<pallison49@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>working as a repair tech, I often get strange fault reports from customers.
>Along the lines of my xxxxx is "doing funny things" followed by a condition that sounds impossible to me.
>Examples:
>
>1. DJ complains that the bass keeps audibly dropping out when he uses the crossfader on his desk. " Please fix crossfader ".
>
>2. The headphone output on a large desk is "leaking into the FOH". The owner insists that when he hits the PFL button on a channel with the fader fully down - signal from the associated mic pops up audibly in the FOH mix.
>
> Both these complaints are nonsense - but can you say why?
>
>..... Phil

Symptom 1. is ill defined. If he meant when the cross-fade was
somewhere near centre, I would be looking for an incorrectly phased
balanced connection on one source.

Number 2 - again poor diagnostic info. If it is just one channel, my
first check for number 2 would be a missing or poor ground on the
fader.

Re: Mistaken ideas about audio equipment

<61c1dd66.19352687@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1492&group=rec.audio.pro#1492

From: spa...@spam.com (Don Pearce)
Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 13:59:05 GMT
 by: Don Pearce - Tue, 21 Dec 2021 13:59 UTC

On Tue, 21 Dec 2021 10:43:11 GMT, spam@spam.com (Don Pearce) wrote:

>On Mon, 20 Dec 2021 11:25:05 -0800 (PST), "palli...@gmail.com"
><pallison49@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>working as a repair tech, I often get strange fault reports from customers.
>>Along the lines of my xxxxx is "doing funny things" followed by a condition that sounds impossible to me.
>>Examples:
>>
>>1. DJ complains that the bass keeps audibly dropping out when he uses the crossfader on his desk. " Please fix crossfader ".
>>
>>2. The headphone output on a large desk is "leaking into the FOH". The owner insists that when he hits the PFL button on a channel with the fader fully down - signal from the associated mic pops up audibly in the FOH mix.
>>
>> Both these complaints are nonsense - but can you say why?
>>
>>..... Phil
>>

>Symptom 1. is ill defined. If he meant when the cross-fade was
>somewhere near centre, I would be looking for an incorrectly phased
>balanced connection on one source.
>
>Number 2 - again poor diagnostic info. If it is just one channel, my
>first check for number 2 would be a missing or poor ground on the
>fader.

Moral of the story - you don't try to diagnose from second hand
reports of symptoms. You need the thing on your bench.

Re: Mistaken ideas about audio equipment

<732d3637-4f27-4e5b-97ba-06bb3e69dbf8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1495&group=rec.audio.pro#1495

Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 13:55:14 -0800 (PST)
From: palliso...@gmail.com (palli...@gmail.com)
 by: palli...@gmail.com - Tue, 21 Dec 2021 21:55 UTC

Don Pearce need to Read Carefully:
==================

> >1. DJ complains that the bass keeps audibly dropping out when he uses the crossfader
> > on his desk. " Please fix crossfader ".
> >
> >2. The headphone output on a large desk is "leaking into the FOH". The owner insists that
> >when he hits the PFL button on a channel with the fader fully down - signal from the associated
> > mic pops up audibly in the FOH mix.
> >
> > Both these complaints are nonsense - but can you say why?
> >

> Symptom 1. is ill defined. If he meant when the cross-fade was
> somewhere near centre, I would be looking for an incorrectly phased
> balanced connection on one source.
>
> Number 2 - again poor diagnostic info. If it is just one channel, my
> first check for number 2 would be a missing or poor ground on the
> fader.

** Just to be clear, there were NO faults with either piece of gear NOR any wrong connections or settings.

The reports were correct but spurious.

....... Phil

Re: Mistaken ideas about audio equipment

<29a96d5b-7e21-473e-9138-ed6e893671b6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1498&group=rec.audio.pro#1498

Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 20:22:25 -0800 (PST)
From: palliso...@gmail.com (palli...@gmail.com)
 by: palli...@gmail.com - Wed, 22 Dec 2021 04:22 UTC

On Tuesday, December 21, 2021 at 6:25:08 AM UTC+11, palli...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> working as a repair tech, I often get strange fault reports from customers.
> Along the lines of my xxxxx is "doing funny things" followed by a condition that sounds impossible to me.
> Examples:
>
> 1. DJ complains that the bass keeps audibly dropping out when he uses the crossfader on his desk. " Please fix crossfader ".
>
> 2. The headphone output on a large desk is "leaking into the FOH". The owner insists that when he hits the PFL button on a channel with the fader fully down - signal from the associated mic pops up audibly in the FOH mix.
>
> Both these complaints are nonsense - but can you say why?

** OK - Complaint 1 was dopey.
DJs like to run 2 turntables and crossfade between them.
However, before they do that they try to "synch" the beat so the changeover is seamless.
Most Disco and rave dance music has steady 120 bpm or so rate.
So, the speed controls of both TTs are tweaked to get a match as heard in their headphones first.

Then they move the crossfader from TT1 to TT2 over a few seconds, while listening to the room speakers.
On many occasions, with fader around mid position, phase cancellation occurs ( at their listening position) temporarily removing the "thump" from the beat.

Complaint 2 is a lot more technical and bizarre.
My customer was listening to the FOH sound with the headphones turned up loud and *resting* on the desk in front of him.
But he could hear them faintly and a bit squeaky.

The crucial fact is that sound arrived at his ears from the phones 30 to 50 mS *before" that from the FOH system.
Human ears react more strongly to the first arrival of a sound in preference to a delayed version or "echo".
This allows our brain to locate the direction of the source instantly, it might be a predator sneaking up.

The phenomenon is called the "Hass effect".
I soon figured this out after clearing the desk of any issue.

My customer was initially very reluctant to believe me.
Till he did as told and dropped the headphones on the floor instead.
Whence the false illusion disappeared.

Audio is simple - right ?

....... Phil

Re: Mistaken ideas about audio equipment

<bNWdnQSbDcA0N1_8nZ2dnUU7-XOdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1499&group=rec.audio.pro#1499

Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2021 17:33:45 +1300
Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
From: geo...@nospamgeoffwood.org (geoff)
 by: geoff - Wed, 22 Dec 2021 04:33 UTC

On 22/12/2021 5:22 pm, palli...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Tuesday, December 21, 2021 at 6:25:08 AM UTC+11, palli...@gmail.com wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> working as a repair tech, I often get strange fault reports from customers.
>> Along the lines of my xxxxx is "doing funny things" followed by a condition that sounds impossible to me.
>> Examples:
>>
>> 1. DJ complains that the bass keeps audibly dropping out when he uses the crossfader on his desk. " Please fix crossfader ".
>>
>> 2. The headphone output on a large desk is "leaking into the FOH". The owner insists that when he hits the PFL button on a channel with the fader fully down - signal from the associated mic pops up audibly in the FOH mix.
>>
>> Both these complaints are nonsense - but can you say why?
>>

> ** OK - Complaint 1 was dopey.
> DJs like to run 2 turntables and crossfade between them.
> However, before they do that they try to "synch" the beat so the changeover is seamless.
> Most Disco and rave dance music has steady 120 bpm or so rate.
> So, the speed controls of both TTs are tweaked to get a match as heard in their headphones first.
>
> Then they move the crossfader from TT1 to TT2 over a few seconds, while listening to the room speakers.
> On many occasions, with fader around mid position, phase cancellation occurs ( at their listening position) temporarily removing the "thump" from the beat.
>

> Complaint 2 is a lot more technical and bizarre.
> My customer was listening to the FOH sound with the headphones turned up loud and *resting* on the desk in front of him.
> But he could hear them faintly and a bit squeaky.
>
> The crucial fact is that sound arrived at his ears from the phones 30 to 50 mS *before" that from the FOH system.
> Human ears react more strongly to the first arrival of a sound in preference to a delayed version or "echo".
> This allows our brain to locate the direction of the source instantly, it might be a predator sneaking up.
>
> The phenomenon is called the "Hass effect".
> I soon figured this out after clearing the desk of any issue.
>
> My customer was initially very reluctant to believe me.
> Till he did as told and dropped the headphones on the floor instead.
> Whence the false illusion disappeared.
>
> Audio is simple - right ?
>

> ...... Phil

Surprised he hadn't blown his headphones long before ....

geoff

Re: Mistaken ideas about audio equipment

<3103d69f-5021-48df-8e3c-b414d9c1b304n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1500&group=rec.audio.pro#1500

Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 21:12:16 -0800 (PST)
From: palliso...@gmail.com (palli...@gmail.com)
 by: palli...@gmail.com - Wed, 22 Dec 2021 05:12 UTC

geoff the prick wrote:
============

> Surprised he hadn't blown his headphones long before ....

** Bet you're surprised whenever poo comes out your arse.

Re: Mistaken ideas about audio equipment

<XLadnUn2KOl7JF_8nZ2dnUU7-VmdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1501&group=rec.audio.pro#1501

Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2021 18:38:45 +1300
Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
From: geo...@nospamgeoffwood.org (geoff)
 by: geoff - Wed, 22 Dec 2021 05:38 UTC

On 22/12/2021 6:12 pm, palli...@gmail.com wrote:
> geoff the prick wrote:
>>
>> Surprised he hadn't blown his headphones long before ....
>>

> ** Bet you're surprised whenever poo comes out your arse.

Not surprised when poo comes out your mouth.

geoff