Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2023 08:10:39 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Unfalsifiable (Dead) Physics: Who Is to Blame?
From: b.karzed...@yahoo.com (bassam karzeddin)
 by: bassam karzeddin - Tue, 15 Aug 2023 15:10 UTC

On Friday, May 12, 2017 at 12:19:12 PM UTC+3, Pentcho Valev wrote:
> "A fudge factor is an ad hoc quantity introduced into a calculation, formula or model in order to make it fit observations or expectations. Examples include Einstein's Cosmological Constant..."
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fudge_factor
>
> "In 1916 Einstein found what he considered a glitch in his new theory of general relativity. His equations showed that the contents of the universe should be moving - either expanding or contracting. But at the time, the universe seemed the very definition of stasis. All the data, facts, and phenomena known in the early 1900s said that the Milky Way was the cosmos itself and that its stars moved slowly, if at all. Einstein had presented the definitive version of the general theory of relativity to the Prussian Academy of Sciences the previous year, and he was not inclined to retract it. So he invented a fudge factor, called lambda, that could function mathematically to hold the universe at a standstill. [...] Lambda, also known as the cosmological constant, has come in handy of late."
> http://discovermagazine.com/2004/sep/the-masters-mistakes/
>
> Ken Croswell, Magnificent Universe, p. 179: "Ever since, the cosmological constant has lived in infamy, a fudge factor concocted merely to make theory agree with observation." http://www.amazon.com/Magnificent-Universe-Ken-Croswell/dp/0684845946
>
> Can one introduce a fudge factor analogous to the cosmological constant in the Lorentz transformation equations? One cannot, and the reason is simple: Special relativity is DEDUCTIVE (even though a false postulate and an invalid argument spoiled it from the very beginning) and fudging is impossible by definition - one has no right to introduce anything that is not deducible from the postulates.
>
> Deduction is not the method in physics nowadays. The infinitely adjustable empirical concoction called "general relativity" has become theoretical paradigm:
>
> Sabine Hossenfelder: "Many of my colleagues believe this forest of theories will eventually be chopped down by data. But in the foundations of physics it has become extremely rare for any model to be ruled out. The accepted practice is instead to adjust the model so that it continues to agree with the lack of empirical support."
> http://www.nature.com.proxy.readcube.com/nphys/journal/v13/n4/full/nphys4079.html
>
> Pentcho Valev

Most likely yes, human corrupted minds are not only in politics, trade, industry, medicine, ..., etc, but they are there in every field of theoretical sciences, especially the mathematics, SURE

BKK 🔊

Re: Unfalsifiable (Dead) Physics: Who Is to Blame?

<7ba0c7a1-e888-4d88-9a41-8be9ba59f8dfn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=148995&group=sci.math#148995

Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2023 05:41:55 -0700 (PDT)
From: b.karzed...@yahoo.com (bassam karzeddin)
 by: bassam karzeddin - Fri, 22 Sep 2023 12:41 UTC

On Tuesday, August 15, 2023 at 6:10:47 PM UTC+3, bassam karzeddin wrote:
> On Friday, May 12, 2017 at 12:19:12 PM UTC+3, Pentcho Valev wrote:
> > "A fudge factor is an ad hoc quantity introduced into a calculation, formula or model in order to make it fit observations or expectations. Examples include Einstein's Cosmological Constant..."
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fudge_factor
> >
> > "In 1916 Einstein found what he considered a glitch in his new theory of general relativity. His equations showed that the contents of the universe should be moving - either expanding or contracting. But at the time, the universe seemed the very definition of stasis. All the data, facts, and phenomena known in the early 1900s said that the Milky Way was the cosmos itself and that its stars moved slowly, if at all. Einstein had presented the definitive version of the general theory of relativity to the Prussian Academy of Sciences the previous year, and he was not inclined to retract it. So he invented a fudge factor, called lambda, that could function mathematically to hold the universe at a standstill. [...] Lambda, also known as the cosmological constant, has come in handy of late."
> > http://discovermagazine.com/2004/sep/the-masters-mistakes/
> >
> > Ken Croswell, Magnificent Universe, p. 179: "Ever since, the cosmological constant has lived in infamy, a fudge factor concocted merely to make theory agree with observation." http://www.amazon.com/Magnificent-Universe-Ken-Croswell/dp/0684845946
> >
> > Can one introduce a fudge factor analogous to the cosmological constant in the Lorentz transformation equations? One cannot, and the reason is simple: Special relativity is DEDUCTIVE (even though a false postulate and an invalid argument spoiled it from the very beginning) and fudging is impossible by definition - one has no right to introduce anything that is not deducible from the postulates.
> >
> > Deduction is not the method in physics nowadays. The infinitely adjustable empirical concoction called "general relativity" has become theoretical paradigm:
> >
> > Sabine Hossenfelder: "Many of my colleagues believe this forest of theories will eventually be chopped down by data. But in the foundations of physics it has become extremely rare for any model to be ruled out. The accepted practice is instead to adjust the model so that it continues to agree with the lack of empirical support."
> > http://www.nature.com.proxy.readcube.com/nphys/journal/v13/n4/full/nphys4079.html
> >
> > Pentcho Valev
> Most likely yes, human corrupted minds are not only in politics, trade, industry, medicine, ..., etc, but they are there in every field of theoretical sciences, especially the mathematics, SURE
>
> BKK 🔊

Re: Unfalsifiable (Dead) Physics: Who Is to Blame?

<7bac8735-206b-43c2-ac43-8d6321016e52n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=149464&group=sci.math#149464

Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2023 15:03:42 -0700 (PDT)
From: b.karzed...@yahoo.com (bassam karzeddin)
 by: bassam karzeddin - Wed, 27 Sep 2023 22:03 UTC