To generalize is to be an idiot. -- William Blake

interests / sci.anthropology.paleo / Oldest known Homo sapiens, rib hide scraper, olive use

SubjectAuthor
* Oldest known Homo sapiens, rib hide scraper, olive useDD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves
+- Re: Oldest known Homo sapiens, rib hide scraper, olive useJTEM is so reasonable
`* Re: Oldest known Homo sapiens, rib hide scraper, olive uselittor...@gmail.com
 `- Re: Oldest known Homo sapiens, rib hide scraper, olive useDD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves

1
Oldest known Homo sapiens, rib hide scraper, olive use

<0184f94e-9aa3-40bc-b8dd-20f130fc0818n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=14984&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#14984

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2022 21:50:56 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Oldest known Homo sapiens, rib hide scraper, olive use
From: daud.de...@gmail.com (DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves)
 by: DD'eDeN aka not - Sun, 2 Oct 2022 04:50 UTC

Morocco site Jebel Irhoud, cave of oldest Hs. I note that the location is near a 600 m elevation next to a shallow stream, and the archaic Homo sapiens were there when the Sahara was green with lakes & rivers, undoubtedly full of trout. It isn't far to the Safi/Asfi seaport where sardines are harvested.

https://geohack.toolforge.org/geohack.php?pagename=Jebel_Irhoud&params=31_51_18_N_8_52_21_W_type:landmark
---

The article has a comment about lack of a chin, but NY Times photo shows a slight chin:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/07/science/human-fossils-morocco.html
---

Plausible human figurine 400ka Morocco:

1.3ma handaxe site Morocco:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jul/28/morocco-team-hails-stone-age-tool-site-dating-back-13m-years
---

90ka hide scraper in Morocco:

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/stone-age-bone-scraper-tools-animal-skin-leather-pelt-cave-morocco
Morocco: 90 to 120 kya bone tools used for leather and fur and other things
https://www.cell.com/iscience/fulltext/S2589-0042(21)00956-1

Highlights
- Bone tools from Contrebandiers Cave, Morocco, dated to 120,000 to 90,000
years ago
- Bone tools likely used for leather and fur working, and other activities
- Carnivore bones from cave show they were skinned for fur removal

Summary
The emergence of Homo sapiens in Pleistocene Africa is associated with a
profound reconfiguration of technology. Symbolic expression and personal
ornamentation, new tool forms, and regional technological traditions are
widely recognized as the earliest indicators of complex culture and cognition
in humans. Here we describe a bone tool tradition from Contrebandiers Cave
on the Atlantic coast of Morocco, dated between 120,000–90,000 years ago.
The bone tools were produced for different activities, including likely
leather
and fur working, and were found in association with carnivore remains that
were possibly skinned for fur. A cetacean tooth tip bears what is likely a
combination of anthropogenic and non-anthropogenic modification and shows
the use of a marine mammal tooth by early humans. The evidence from
Contrebandiers Cave demonstrates that the pan-African emergence of complex
culture included the use of multiple and diverse materials for specialized
tool
manufacture.

"Genetic studies of clothing lice suggest an origin for clothing as early
as 170 ka
ago with H. sapiens in Africa (Toups et al., 2011). In this article, we
present
evidence for fur removal found on carnivore bones dated to as early as 120 ka
ago at Contrebandiers Cave in Morocco. The combination of carnivore bones
with skinning marks and bone tools likely used for fur processing provide
highly
suggestive proxy evidence for the earliest clothing in the archaeological
record."
---

I also note that the oldest ostrich eggshell beads (also seashell beads) known are from the huge Lake Fezzan, Libya at ~200ka. These long precede the 70-30ka ostrich eggshell beads found in southern & eastern Africa and at Bhimbetka caves along Narmada river, central India, and also later in Gobi desert in Mongolia & in Siberia. These beads weren't tools, but symbolic, perhaps as ornament exchange. (I speculate they were in a sense water-use tokens).
Per Robt Bednarik article.
---

Published: 22 March 2022
The first use of olives in Africa around 100,000 years ago
L. Marquer, T. Otto, …R. Nespoulet Show authors
Nature Plants volume 8, pages204–208 (2022)Cite this article

Abstract
The olive tree was an iconic plant for most of the past Mediterranean civilizations, for which it had important economic value. Here we report the earliest use of fruits and wood from olive trees in Africa so far, around 100,000 years ago. These findings suggest the presence of olive trees on the Atlantic coast of Morocco during most of the last glacial period, and the use of olives by the early Homo sapiens for fuel management and most probably for consumption.
- Note: olives do not grow in saltwater or saline soil.

Re: Oldest known Homo sapiens, rib hide scraper, olive use

<0a9afe6a-877b-4f3e-99a4-893ff3898b3dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=14985&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#14985

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2022 23:02:48 -0700 (PDT)
From: jte...@gmail.com (JTEM is so reasonable)
 by: JTEM is so reasonabl - Sun, 2 Oct 2022 06:02 UTC

DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves wrote:

> Morocco site Jebel Irhoud, cave of oldest Hs. I note that the location is near a 600 m elevation next
> to a shallow stream, and the archaic Homo sapiens were there when the Sahara was green with lakes
> & rivers, undoubtedly full of trout. It isn't far to the Safi/Asfi seaport where sardines are harvested.

The only way this thing is a "Modern Human" is if Heidelberg Man was a "Modern Human."

There's actually an argument that EVERYTHING from erectus on was the same species. And,
yes, there is a very good argument that Chimps, though a different species, are better grouped
as "Homo" than their own genus....

But, going by the popular convention, these these aren't modern. Not by any stretch of the
imagination. The last few years the social program that is paleo anthropology has been
going mental, ramming the "Out of Africa" purity down everyone's throat...

-- --

https://jtem.tumblr.com/post/696954986676060160

Re: Oldest known Homo sapiens, rib hide scraper, olive use

<cd5f7f5f-a0dd-45db-9052-8b82075598a9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=14988&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#14988

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2022 05:02:07 -0700 (PDT)
From: littoral...@gmail.com (littor...@gmail.com)
 by: littor...@gmail.com - Sun, 2 Oct 2022 12:02 UTC

> [...]
> Per Robt Bednarik article.
> The first use of olives in Africa around 100,000 years ago
> L. Marquer, T. Otto, …R. Nespoulet 2022 Nature Plants 8:204-8
> The olive tree was an iconic plant for most of the past Mediterranean civilizations, for which it had important economic value. Here we report the earliest use of fruits & wood from olive trees in Africa so far, c 100 ka. These findings suggest the presence of olive trees on the Atlantic coast of Morocco during most of the last glacial period, and the use of olives by the early H.sapiens for fuel management and most probably for consumption.
> Note: olives do not grow in saltwater or saline soil.

:-) All this perfectly confirms our view that archaic Homo still frequently dived for shallow-aquatic foods, and that H.sapiens (chin, clothes etc.) was the first to stay mainly on land but stil used cetacean fur & teeth.
Only incredible imbeciles still believe their Pleistocene ancestors ran after antelopes.

Re: Oldest known Homo sapiens, rib hide scraper, olive use

<debc9f8e-0985-49a3-86d6-f25ca6fe8d56n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=14992&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#14992

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2022 16:56:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: daud.de...@gmail.com (DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves)
 by: DD'eDeN aka not - Sun, 2 Oct 2022 23:56 UTC

Pearls before swine.