We are MicroSoft. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile. (Attributed to B.G., Gill Bates)

tech / rec.antiques.radio+phono / Re: Cynical Definitions

SubjectAuthor
* Cynical Definitionspf...@aol.com
+- Re: Cynical DefinitionsJohn Robertson
`* Re: Cynical DefinitionsMichael Trew
 `- Re: Cynical Definitionspf...@aol.com

1
Cynical Definitions

<ba8ed0d6-9dae-4d94-adee-aa2f99b0c1a7n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=136&group=rec.antiques.radio%2Bphono#136

Newsgroups: rec.antiques.radio+phono
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2022 09:24:32 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Cynical Definitions
From: pfj...@aol.com (pf...@aol.com)
 by: pf...@aol.com - Mon, 19 Sep 2022 16:24 UTC

I just spent most of Thursday, Friday and Saturday here:

https://www.dvhrc.com/kutztown.html

Some observations based on some eBay descriptions and terms, and how they translate into actuality:

Not working/For parts: Dead. Stone dead. Usually with a cut cord.
Untested: A less direct statement, but as above.
Lights up: Not stone-dead. But not much better.
Works: Definition a) Does not blow up immediately. Definition b) Makes noise - quality of noise undetermined.
Works well: Makes discernable noise, or stays cool. The noise may be wildly distorted, or the unit may not function at all - but it is not burning up.
Fully restored and working: Just enough was done to it that it works to minimal adequacy.
Working - Tested: At least at Kutztown, that generally means a fully functional device.

One of the reasons I run the Kutztown Klinic is so that buyers (and sellers, often enough) can do honest assessments of whatever it is they buy, or have to sell. And, as it happens, on Set-up Thursday, I am getting more and more items to look at and assess. Not only vintage radios but three examples:

Dynaco SCA80Q, late Blackwood version - all the mods and so a better-than-decent solid-state integrated amp. It had been heavily repaired at some point by a less than neat individual. The seller stated that 'it does not light up, and the fuse is good'. Onto the variac: Pulling 25 watts, steady, no heat -but no light either. I sent him down to another table for a NE-2 lamp, replaced it in the switch, replaced some bad wiring (not incorrect, but the wrong kind of wire for the purpose), checked the caps, checked output levels, all good. Cleaned the controls. Done. So, a simple $0.85 neon lamp became the difference between "not working" and "working - tested".

Different seller: Dynaco FM5 tuner - Jefferson Street version: Not passing signal. No 'stereo' or 'tuned' lights. I keep those, and replaced them for him. All of a sudden, a nice, effective, simple FM-only tuner. Cleaned the controls. Done.

Different seller: Cut-cord Zenith shortwave component tuner (S-120A) - jumped in a power-cord - watched the ammeter start to spike, just lagging the voltage, so not quite a dead-short. "For Parts". Done.

And so forth.

It should not be surprising that many sellers, even at a vintage electronics meet, have no clue as to the actual condition of what they are selling, and neither do the buyers. But as often as not, that item found at a garage sale, curbside rescue or similar got that way becomes something simple failed and the owner has no means to know that, or make the proper repairs. And, to find a tech that will charge less than US$75 to replace $0.95 worth of parts is unlikely to happen.

Did I charge the sellers for those repairs? Absolutely not! And why it is a hobby, not a business. Both did make a small contribution to the club, however.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Re: Cynical Definitions

<V5-dnbkWWre6P7D-nZ2dnZfqnPWdnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=137&group=rec.antiques.radio%2Bphono#137

Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2022 05:10:14 -0700
Subject: Re: Cynical Definitions
Newsgroups: rec.antiques.radio+phono
From: spa...@flippers.com (John Robertson)
 by: John Robertson - Fri, 23 Sep 2022 12:10 UTC

On 2022/09/19 9:24 a.m., pf...@aol.com wrote:
> I just spent most of Thursday, Friday and Saturday here:
>
> https://www.dvhrc.com/kutztown.html
>
> Some observations based on some eBay descriptions and terms, and how they translate into actuality:
>
> Not working/For parts: Dead. Stone dead. Usually with a cut cord.
> Untested: A less direct statement, but as above.
> Lights up: Not stone-dead. But not much better.
> Works: Definition a) Does not blow up immediately. Definition b) Makes noise - quality of noise undetermined.
> Works well: Makes discernable noise, or stays cool. The noise may be wildly distorted, or the unit may not function at all - but it is not burning up.
> Fully restored and working: Just enough was done to it that it works to minimal adequacy.
> Working - Tested: At least at Kutztown, that generally means a fully functional device.
>
> One of the reasons I run the Kutztown Klinic is so that buyers (and sellers, often enough) can do honest assessments of whatever it is they buy, or have to sell. And, as it happens, on Set-up Thursday, I am getting more and more items to look at and assess. Not only vintage radios but three examples:
>
> Dynaco SCA80Q, late Blackwood version - all the mods and so a better-than-decent solid-state integrated amp. It had been heavily repaired at some point by a less than neat individual. The seller stated that 'it does not light up, and the fuse is good'. Onto the variac: Pulling 25 watts, steady, no heat -but no light either. I sent him down to another table for a NE-2 lamp, replaced it in the switch, replaced some bad wiring (not incorrect, but the wrong kind of wire for the purpose), checked the caps, checked output levels, all good. Cleaned the controls. Done. So, a simple $0.85 neon lamp became the difference between "not working" and "working - tested".
>
> Different seller: Dynaco FM5 tuner - Jefferson Street version: Not passing signal. No 'stereo' or 'tuned' lights. I keep those, and replaced them for him. All of a sudden, a nice, effective, simple FM-only tuner. Cleaned the controls. Done.
>
> Different seller: Cut-cord Zenith shortwave component tuner (S-120A) - jumped in a power-cord - watched the ammeter start to spike, just lagging the voltage, so not quite a dead-short. "For Parts". Done.

Peter, you may want to show attendees how to make a Dim Bulb Tester for
old radios, etc. This is a great tool for powering up unknown condition
items as I am sure you know...

> And so forth.
>
> It should not be surprising that many sellers, even at a vintage electronics meet, have no clue as to the actual condition of what they are selling, and neither do the buyers. But as often as not, that item found at a garage sale, curbside rescue or similar got that way becomes something simple failed and the owner has no means to know that, or make the proper repairs. And, to find a tech that will charge less than US$75 to replace $0.95 worth of parts is unlikely to happen.
>
> Did I charge the sellers for those repairs? Absolutely not! And why it is a hobby, not a business. Both did make a small contribution to the club, however.
>
> Peter Wieck
> Melrose Park, PA

I appreciate what you say about not charging. Arcade game service is my
day job, but I can't stand to see something broken so have offered
advice gratis for a great many years...I ask for donations to Doctors
Without Borders if the person thinks they may want to tip me.

John :-#)#
John's Jukes Ltd.
(604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
www.flippers.com

Re: Cynical Definitions

<ZP6mM.6302$KtZc.676@fx08.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=151&group=rec.antiques.radio%2Bphono#151

From: michael....@att.net (Michael Trew)
Newsgroups: rec.antiques.radio+phono
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2023 22:35:47 -0400
 by: Michael Trew - Mon, 26 Jun 2023 02:35 UTC

On 9/19/2022 12:24 PM, pf...@aol.com wrote:
> I just spent most of Thursday, Friday and Saturday here:
>
> https://www.dvhrc.com/kutztown.html

Looks like it's coming up again this September... perhaps I'll make it.

Re: Cynical Definitions

<d12f37e0-be4b-4f5d-b22f-c7b8974dbb51n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=152&group=rec.antiques.radio%2Bphono#152

Newsgroups: rec.antiques.radio+phono
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2023 09:47:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: pfj...@aol.com (pf...@aol.com)
 by: pf...@aol.com - Mon, 26 Jun 2023 16:47 UTC

On Sunday, June 25, 2023 at 10:35:40 PM UTC-4, Michael Trew wrote:
> On 9/19/2022 12:24 PM, pf...@aol.com wrote:
> > I just spent most of Thursday, Friday and Saturday here:
> >
> > https://www.dvhrc.com/kutztown.html
> Looks like it's coming up again this September... perhaps I'll make it.

As it happens, I just made my Airbnb reservations this morning. And picked up the fireworks on Friday.
Look for me at the club table.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA