From: Aol...@Aoli.com (Aoli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Newline
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2021 00:07:32 -0700
 by: Aoli - Tue, 27 Apr 2021 07:07 UTC

My Android Samsung J3 voice to text question.
How or what do I say to get a newline when I am texting or ditto for
other app inputs ?
I say . (period) newline and I get only .

Re: Newline

<1bogntp3nbne9.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15238&group=comp.mobile.android#15238

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Newline
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2021 13:39:23 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Tue, 27 Apr 2021 18:39 UTC

Aoli <Aoli@Aoli.com> wrote:

> My Android Samsung J3 voice to text question.
> How or what do I say to get a newline when I am texting or ditto for
> other app inputs ?
> I say . (period) newline and I get only .

Have to tried saying "Enter", just like you hitting the Enter key for a
new line? Are you pronouncing "new line" as 2 words, or as one word?
Do you have a heavy cant to your voice rather than Midwestern, so you
must pronounce better? For example, Bostonians say "ca" for "car" and
"brawr" for "bra". "Enter" is probably harder to mispronounce then
"newline" or "new (pause) line".

You didn't mention whose keyboard you are using. The following:

https://support.google.com/gboard/answer/2781851?co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid&hl=en

shows "new line" (as 2 words, not 1) is acceptable. So, it could be you
saying it as one word, or your pronunciation. See if adding a short
pause (don't jumble words together to delineate them) and try
over-pronouncing "new line" (animate your lips more, no slurring).

I've read where some folks say "period new paragraph" (which might
insert 2 newlines, so you get a blank line between the paragraphs) or
"period return" instead of "period new line". If you cannot get voice
recognition to work on your phone to reliably insert a newline, and
instead of wasting time battling a defect in voice recognition, just tap
the the Enter/Return key on the keyboard and move on.

Note: I gave up on voice recognition long ago. I spent more time
correcting the mistakes using my fingers to edit the voice-to-text
results than if I had started with using my fingers on the keyboard in
the first place to type it all in. Voice recogition has improved over
many years, but it still sucks and slows me down. I doubt voice
recognition on a smartphone due to hardware and processor limitations of
smartphones will ever approach the quality of, say, Dragon Naturally
Speaking ($200 for Home, $500 for Pro) running on a far more robust
hardware platform of a desktop PC.

Other: If you do a lot of keyboarding on your phone, you might want to
instead mirror it to your computer where you have a decent keyboard for
typing fast and accurate (assuming you aren't an exscrutiatingly slow
hunt-and-pecker typist). I can type faster than my usual speak speed,
and still a bit faster than when I talk fast. Talking fast into voice
recognition often results in a jarbled mess of guesses and mistakes.
Even with slow speaking, you still end up correcting a lot of mistakes
with voice recognition.

Oh, someone else to consider, how fast (or how slow) is your Internet
connection from your phone? Speed matter since Google's voice
recognition is cloud based. If you don't have a fast Internet
connection, interpretation will get slowed. If you have no Internet
connection, you get the inaccurate local interpreter.

https://cloud.google.com/speech-to-text
According to https://nordicapis.com/5-best-speech-to-text-apis/:
The Google Speech-To-Text API isn’t free, however. ... Make sure you
factor that into your pricing models when developing applications and
web services.
So voice recognition can be local only (and on a smartphone it will be a
poor performer), or add cloud-based analysis, but there are limitiations
based on economy of implementation.

https://cloud.google.com/blog/products/ai-machine-learning/samsung-bixby-training-gets-speed-boost-with-cloud-tpu
So, Samsung improved their Bixby voice assistant in their Galaxy phones.
Your phone is not listed as having Bixby at:

https://www.samsung.com/global/galaxy/what-is/bixby/

I don't have your phone, so I didn't bother researching what VR engine
it uses, and it limitations. The J3 was released over 5 years ago (and
discontinued 3 years ago), and there have likely been VR improvements
since then. The VR performance probably also depends on which version
of Android you have, and your J3 might still have Android 5.1.1 that the
phone first came with.

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: Newline