From: inva...@invalid.invalid (Gronk)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: SIM card
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2021 14:10:35 -0600
 by: Gronk - Wed, 28 Apr 2021 20:10 UTC

Are all SIM cards the same?

Bought a new 5G phone direct from the cellular carrier.
Put the old SIM card into the new phone and it works right away.

They shipped it with a separate triple-sized punch out SIM card.
It says "For the best experience on our network, use this new SIM."

What's the difference between my year old SIM and this new SIM?
Any?

Re: SIM card

<280420211959063159%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15263&group=comp.mobile.android#15263

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: SIM card
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2021 19:59:06 -0400
 by: nospam - Wed, 28 Apr 2021 23:59 UTC

In article <s6cffk$r8q$1@news.mixmin.net>, Gronk
<invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> Are all SIM cards the same?

no.

> Bought a new 5G phone direct from the cellular carrier.
> Put the old SIM card into the new phone and it works right away.

that's what matters, assuming everything works properly, including full
5g capabilities.

> They shipped it with a separate triple-sized punch out SIM card.
> It says "For the best experience on our network, use this new SIM."
>
> What's the difference between my year old SIM and this new SIM?
> Any?

that depends what sim you currently have. if it's older, it may not
support 5g and if it's very old, possibly not 4g/lte.

some carriers, in particular sprint/usa, has/had a uicc, which is
slightly different than a standard sim and had different versions
depending on the phone (not just size). sprint & t-mobile have merged
so that's no longer an issue going forward.
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_integrated_circuit_card>

since you have a new sim that's guaranteed to support 5g, you might as
well switch to it.

computers / comp.mobile.android / SIM card