From: inva...@invalid.invalid (Primum Sapienti)
Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Subject: The role of the large nose in saiga vocalizations and heat exchange
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2022 20:50:17 -0700
 by: Primum Sapienti - Wed, 9 Nov 2022 03:50 UTC

A nose that roars: anatomical specializations and behavioural
features of rutting male saiga

Abstract
The involvement of the unique saiga nose in vocal production has
been neglected so far. Rutting male saigas produce loud nasal roars.
Prior to roaring, they tense and extend their noses in a highly
stereotypic manner. This change of nose configuration includes
dorsal folding and convex curving of the nasal vestibulum and is
maintained until the roar ends. Red and fallow deer males that
orally roar achieve a temporary increase of vocal tract length (vtl) by
larynx retraction. Saiga males attain a similar effect by pulling their
flexible nasal vestibulum rostrally, allowing for a temporary elongation
of the nasal vocal tract by about 20%. Decrease of formant frequencies
and formant dispersion, as acoustic effects of an increase of vtl, are
assumed to convey important information on the quality of a dominant
male to conspecifics, e.g. on body size and fighting ability. Nasal roaring
in saiga may equally serve to deter rival males and to attract females.
Anatomical constraints might have set a limit to the rostral pulling of
the nasal vestibulum. It seems likely that the sexual dimorphism of the
saiga nose was induced by sexual selection. Adult males of many
mammalian species, after sniffing or licking female urine or genital
secretions, raise their head and strongly retract their upper lip and
small nasal vestibulum while inhalating orally. This flehmen behaviour
is assumed to promote transport of non-volatile substances via the
incisive ducts into the vomeronasal organs for pheromone detection.
The flehmen aspect in saiga involves the extensive flexible walls of the
greatly enlarged nasal vestibulum and is characterized by a distinctly
concave configuration of the nose region, the reverse of that observed
in nasal roaring. A step-by-step model for the gradual evolution of the
saiga nose is presented here.

http://www.ultimateungulate.com/artiodactyla/saiga_tatarica.html
"The large nose is functional throughout the year, filtering out airborne
dust during the summer migrations and heating the air before it reaches
the lungs during the icy winters."

Re: The role of the large nose in saiga vocalizations and heat exchange

<87d97c7e-3924-442e-bc4f-440f4d3da109n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=15260&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#15260

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2022 04:05:35 -0800 (PST)
From: daud.de...@gmail.com (DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves)
 by: DD'eDeN aka not - Wed, 9 Nov 2022 12:05 UTC

On Tuesday, November 8, 2022 at 10:50:21 PM UTC-5, Primum Sapienti wrote:
> https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2375844/
> A nose that roars: anatomical specializations and behavioural
> features of rutting male saiga
>
> Abstract
> The involvement of the unique saiga nose in vocal production has
> been neglected so far. Rutting male saigas produce loud nasal roars.
> Prior to roaring, they tense and extend their noses in a highly
> stereotypic manner. This change of nose configuration includes
> dorsal folding and convex curving of the nasal vestibulum and is
> maintained until the roar ends. Red and fallow deer males that
> orally roar achieve a temporary increase of vocal tract length (vtl) by
> larynx retraction. Saiga males attain a similar effect by pulling their
> flexible nasal vestibulum rostrally, allowing for a temporary elongation
> of the nasal vocal tract by about 20%. Decrease of formant frequencies
> and formant dispersion, as acoustic effects of an increase of vtl, are
> assumed to convey important information on the quality of a dominant
> male to conspecifics, e.g. on body size and fighting ability. Nasal roaring
> in saiga may equally serve to deter rival males and to attract females.
> Anatomical constraints might have set a limit to the rostral pulling of
> the nasal vestibulum. It seems likely that the sexual dimorphism of the
> saiga nose was induced by sexual selection. Adult males of many
> mammalian species, after sniffing or licking female urine or genital
> secretions, raise their head and strongly retract their upper lip and
> small nasal vestibulum while inhalating orally. This flehmen behaviour
> is assumed to promote transport of non-volatile substances via the
> incisive ducts into the vomeronasal organs for pheromone detection.
> The flehmen aspect in saiga involves the extensive flexible walls of the
> greatly enlarged nasal vestibulum and is characterized by a distinctly
> concave configuration of the nose region, the reverse of that observed
> in nasal roaring. A step-by-step model for the gradual evolution of the
> saiga nose is presented here.
>

> http://www.ultimateungulate.com/artiodactyla/saiga_tatarica.html
> "The large nose is functional throughout the year, filtering out airborne
> dust during the summer migrations and heating the air before it reaches
> the lungs during the icy winters."

Nooo! They was aquamariners at the coasts, wading, swimming and diving!

Re: The role of the large nose in saiga vocalizations and heat exchange

<ef093dea-ba98-4dcb-b9c1-a48ad2980e33n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=15263&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#15263

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2022 06:00:19 -0800 (PST)
From: littoral...@gmail.com (littor...@gmail.com)
 by: littor...@gmail.com - Wed, 9 Nov 2022 14:00 UTC

> > https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2375844/
> > A nose that roars: anatomical specializations and behavioural
> > features of rutting male saiga
> > The involvement of the unique saiga nose in vocal production has
> > been neglected so far.

??
Not at all, see my new book:
"De Evolutie van de Mens - waarom wij rechtop lopen en kunnen spreken"
Academische uitgeverij - Utrecht NL 2022

> > Rutting male saigas produce loud nasal roars.
> > Prior to roaring, they tense & extend their noses in a highly
> > stereotypic manner. This change of nose configuration includes
> > dorsal folding & convex curving of the nasal vestibulum, and is
> > maintained until the roar ends. Red & fallow deer males that
> > orally roar achieve a temporary increase of vocal tract length (vtl) by
> > larynx retraction. Saiga males attain a similar effect by pulling their
> > flexible nasal vestibulum rostrally, allowing for a temporary elongation
> > of the nasal vocal tract by c 20 %. Decrease of formant frequencies
> > & formant dispersion, as acoustic effects of an increase of vtl, are
> > assumed to convey important information on the quality of a dominant
> > male to conspecifics, e.g. on body size & fighting ability. Nasal roaring
> > in saiga may equally serve to deter rival males, and to attract females.
> > Anatomical constraints might have set a limit to the rostral pulling of
> > the nasal vestibulum. It seems likely that the sex.dimorphism of the
> > saiga nose was induced by sex.selection. Adult males of many
> > mammalian spp, after sniffing or licking female urine or genital
> > secretions, raise their head, and strongly retract their upper lip &
> > small nasal vestibulum, while inhalating orally. This flehmen behaviour
> > is assumed to promote transport of non-volatile substances via the
> > incisive ducts into the vomero-nasal organs for pheromone detection.
> > The flehmen aspect in saiga involves the extensive flexible walls of the
> > greatly enlarged nasal vestibulum, and is characterized by a distinctly
> > concave configuration of the nose region, the reverse of that observed
> > in nasal roaring. A step-by-step model for the gradual evolution of the
> > saiga nose is presented here.
> > http://www.ultimateungulate.com/artiodactyla/saiga_tatarica.html
> > "The large nose is functional throughout the year, filtering out airborne
> > dust during the summer migrations and heating the air before it reaches
> > the lungs during the icy winters."

Beautiful article, but it should discern between primary & secondary functions.

Some netloon:

> Nooo! They was aquamariners at the coasts, wading, swimming and diving!

????
Why are such netloons so incredibly stupid??
Can't they google "saiga swim"??

Re: The role of the large nose in saiga vocalizations and heat exchange

<22f3d1aa-fa3d-467a-9246-f9c36868066en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=15274&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#15274

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2022 00:46:58 -0800 (PST)
From: daud.de...@gmail.com (DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves)
 by: DD'eDeN aka not - Thu, 10 Nov 2022 08:46 UTC

Backfloat snorkel??