Newsgroups: sci.lang
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2022 12:10:31 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Paleo-etymology
From: daud.de...@gmail.com (Daud Deden)
 by: Daud Deden - Mon, 26 Sep 2022 19:10 UTC

scan (v.)
late 14c., scannen, "to mark off verse in metric feet, analyze verse according to its meter," from Late Latin scandere "to scan verse," originally, in classical Latin, "to climb, rise, mount" (the connecting notion is of the rising and falling rhythm of poetry), from PIE *skand- "to spring, leap, climb" (source also of Sanskrit skandati "hastens, leaps, jumps;" Greek skandalon "stumbling block;" Middle Irish sescaind "he sprang, jumped," sceinm "a bound, jump").

English lost the classical -d- probably by confusion with suffix -ed (compare lawn (n.1)). Intransitive meaning "follow or agree with the rules of meter" is by 1857. The sense of "look at point by point, examine minutely (as one does when counting metrical feet in poetry)" is recorded by 1540s. New technology brought the meaning "systematically pass over with a scanner," especially to convert into a sequence of signals (1928). The (opposite) sense of "look over quickly, skim" is attested by 1926.
Cf ascent descent scale lean/cline/climb?
Naik @Mly: asc. turun desc.
Cant.or slant

cant (n.1)
"pretentious or insincere talk, ostentatious conventionality in speech," 1709. The earliest use is as a slang word for "the whining speech of beggars asking for alms" (1640s), from the verb in this sense (1560s), from Old North French canter (Old French chanter) "to sing, chant," from Latin cantare, frequentative of canere "to sing" (from PIE root *kan- "to sing"

cant (n.2)
slope, slant," late 14c., first in Scottish writing and apparently meaning "edge, brink," a word of uncertain origin. "words identical in form and corresponding in sense are found in many languages, Teutonic, Slavonic, Romanic, Celtic" [OED]. It was rare in English before c. 1600. Meaning "slope, slanting or tilting position" is from 1847

Linked to lifting/lowering domeshield, tilt on edge, ground-hinged leverage, cant-hook
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cant_hook originally a spearbutt, then tomahawk?, then canthook or peavy for tilting logs to cut

Perhaps via Old North French cant "corner" (itself perhaps via Middle Low German kante or Middle Dutch kant), from Vulgar Latin *canthus, from Latin cantus "iron tire of a wheel," which is possibly from a Celtic word meaning "rim of wheel, edge, brim" (compare Welsh cant "bordering of a circle, tire, edge," Breton cant "circle"). The ultimate connections of these are uncertain. Greek kanthos "corner of the eye," and Russian kutu "corner" sometimes are suggested, but there are difficulties (see Beekes)

Re: Paleo-etymology

<8d11b7b4-1e21-41b3-b023-cd5c66ed013fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=15272&group=sci.lang#15272

Newsgroups: sci.lang
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2022 20:37:59 -0700 (PDT)
From: daud.de...@gmail.com (Daud Deden)
 by: Daud Deden - Wed, 28 Sep 2022 03:37 UTC

On Monday, September 26, 2022 at 3:10:32 PM UTC-4, Daud Deden wrote:
> scan (v.)
> late 14c., scannen, "to mark off verse in metric feet, analyze verse according to its meter," from Late Latin scandere "to scan verse," originally, in classical Latin, "to climb, rise, mount" (the connecting notion is of the rising and falling rhythm of poetry), from PIE *skand- "to spring, leap, climb" (source also of Sanskrit skandati "hastens, leaps, jumps;" Greek skandalon "stumbling block;" Middle Irish sescaind "he sprang, jumped," sceinm "a bound, jump").
>
> English lost the classical -d- probably by confusion with suffix -ed (compare lawn (n.1)). Intransitive meaning "follow or agree with the rules of meter" is by 1857. The sense of "look at point by point, examine minutely (as one does when counting metrical feet in poetry)" is recorded by 1540s. New technology brought the meaning "systematically pass over with a scanner," especially to convert into a sequence of signals (1928). The (opposite) sense of "look over quickly, skim" is attested by 1926.
> Cf ascent descent scale lean/cline/climb?
> Naik @Mly: asc. turun desc.
> Cant.or slant
>
> cant (n.1)
> "pretentious or insincere talk, ostentatious conventionality in speech," 1709. The earliest use is as a slang word for "the whining speech of beggars asking for alms" (1640s), from the verb in this sense (1560s), from Old North French canter (Old French chanter) "to sing, chant," from Latin cantare, frequentative of canere "to sing" (from PIE root *kan- "to sing"
>
> cant (n.2)
> slope, slant," late 14c., first in Scottish writing and apparently meaning "edge, brink," a word of uncertain origin. "words identical in form and corresponding in sense are found in many languages, Teutonic, Slavonic, Romanic, Celtic" [OED]. It was rare in English before c. 1600. Meaning "slope, slanting or tilting position" is from 1847
>
> Linked to lifting/lowering domeshield, tilt on edge, ground-hinged leverage, cant-hook
> https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cant_hook originally a spearbutt, then tomahawk?, then canthook or peavy for tilting logs to cut
>
> Perhaps via Old North French cant "corner" (itself perhaps via Middle Low German kante or Middle Dutch kant), from Vulgar Latin *canthus, from Latin cantus "iron tire of a wheel," which is possibly from a Celtic word meaning "rim of wheel, edge, brim" (compare Welsh cant "bordering of a circle, tire, edge," Breton cant "circle"). The ultimate connections of these are uncertain. Greek kanthos "corner of the eye," and Russian kutu "corner" sometimes are suggested, but there are difficulties (see Beekes)

Cf cantilever
---
Form morphe?
form (n.)
c. 1200, forme, fourme, "semblance, image, likeness," from Old French forme, fourme, "physical form, appearance; pleasing looks; shape, image; way, manner" (12c.), from Latin forma "form, contour, figure, shape; appearance, looks; a fine form, beauty; an outline, a model, pattern, design; sort, kind condition," a word of unknown origin. One theory holds that it is from or cognate with Greek morphe "form, beauty, outward appearance" (see Morpheus) via Etruscan [Klein].

Form ~ born buatl, morph ~ m(b)uatl

Re: Paleo-etymology

<641a433f-f5d2-4ba9-851f-6fe561299a60n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=15278&group=sci.lang#15278

Newsgroups: sci.lang
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2022 23:09:24 -0700 (PDT)
From: daud.de...@gmail.com (Daud Deden)
 by: Daud Deden - Wed, 28 Sep 2022 06:09 UTC

On Tuesday, September 27, 2022 at 11:38:01 PM UTC-4, Daud Deden wrote:
> [...]
> Cf cantilever
> ---
> Form morphe?
> form (n.)
> c. 1200, forme, fourme, "semblance, image, likeness," from Old French forme, fourme, "physical form, appearance; pleasing looks; shape, image; way, manner" (12c.), from Latin forma "form, contour, figure, shape; appearance, looks; a fine form, beauty; an outline, a model, pattern, design; sort, kind condition," a word of unknown origin. One theory holds that it is from or cognate with Greek morphe "form, beauty, outward appearance" (see Morpheus) via Etruscan [Klein].

Body embody

Form, shape bentuk @Mly. Buatluach?

Re: Paleo-etymology

<816f5dba-62a5-4777-abd7-a1dade35954cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=15285&group=sci.lang#15285

Newsgroups: sci.lang
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2022 08:14:07 -0700 (PDT)
From: daud.de...@gmail.com (Daud Deden)
 by: Daud Deden - Wed, 28 Sep 2022 15:14 UTC

On Wednesday, September 28, 2022 at 2:09:26 AM UTC-4, Daud Deden wrote:
> [...]
> > Cf cantilever
> > ---
> > Form morphe?
> > form (n.)
> > c. 1200, forme, fourme, "semblance, image, likeness," from Old French forme, fourme, "physical form, appearance; pleasing looks; shape, image; way, manner" (12c.), from Latin forma "form, contour, figure, shape; appearance, looks; a fine form, beauty; an outline, a model, pattern, design; sort, kind condition," a word of unknown origin. One theory holds that it is from or cognate with Greek morphe "form, beauty, outward appearance" (see Morpheus) via Etruscan [Klein].

Bentuk ~ bend, bent, belle curve
Binti daughter of
Bini wife of
- Skape shape landscape escarpment? Rift scar.ify

Re: Paleo-etymology

<5fa29305-f423-40f0-9755-e09f280f8b40n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=15304&group=sci.lang#15304

Newsgroups: sci.lang
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2022 05:23:47 -0700 (PDT)
From: daud.de...@gmail.com (Daud Deden)
 by: Daud Deden - Mon, 3 Oct 2022 12:23 UTC

On Monday, September 26, 2022 at 3:10:32 PM UTC-4, Daud Deden wrote:
> scan (v.)
> late 14c., scannen, "to mark off verse in metric feet, analyze verse according to its meter," from Late Latin scandere "to scan verse," originally, in classical Latin, "to climb, rise, mount" (the connecting notion is of the rising and falling rhythm of poetry), from PIE *skand- "to spring, leap, climb" (source also of Sanskrit skandati "hastens, leaps, jumps;" Greek skandalon "stumbling block;" Middle Irish sescaind "he sprang, jumped," sceinm "a bound, jump").
>
> English lost the classical -d- probably by confusion with suffix -ed (compare lawn (n.1)). Intransitive meaning "follow or agree with the rules of meter" is by 1857. The sense of "look at point by point, examine minutely (as one does when counting metrical feet in poetry)" is recorded by 1540s. New technology brought the meaning "systematically pass over with a scanner," especially to convert into a sequence of signals (1928). The (opposite) sense of "look over quickly, skim" is attested by 1926.
> Cf ascent descent scale lean/cline/climb?
> Naik @Mly: asc. turun desc.
> Cant.or slant
>
> cant (n.1)
> "pretentious or insincere talk, ostentatious conventionality in speech," 1709. The earliest use is as a slang word for "the whining speech of beggars asking for alms" (1640s), from the verb in this sense (1560s), from Old North French canter (Old French chanter) "to sing, chant," from Latin cantare, frequentative of canere "to sing" (from PIE root *kan- "to sing"
>
> cant (n.2)
> slope, slant," late 14c., first in Scottish writing and apparently meaning "edge, brink," a word of uncertain origin. "words identical in form and corresponding in sense are found in many languages, Teutonic, Slavonic, Romanic, Celtic" [OED]. It was rare in English before c. 1600. Meaning "slope, slanting or tilting position" is from 1847
>
> Linked to lifting/lowering domeshield, tilt on edge, ground-hinged leverage, cant-hook
> https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cant_hook originally a spearbutt, then tomahawk?, then canthook or peavy for tilting logs to cut
>
> Perhaps via Old North French cant "corner" (itself perhaps via Middle Low German kante or Middle Dutch kant), from Vulgar Latin *canthus, from Latin cantus "iron tire of a wheel," which is possibly from a Celtic word meaning "rim of wheel, edge, brim" (compare Welsh cant "bordering of a circle, tire, edge," Breton cant "circle"). The ultimate connections of these are uncertain. Greek kanthos "corner of the eye," and Russian kutu "corner" sometimes are suggested, but there are difficulties (see Beekes)

Cantilever
Decant: decant (v.)
1630s, "pour off gently the clear liquid from a solution by tipping the vessel," originally an alchemical term, from French décanter, perhaps from Medieval Latin decanthare "to pour from the edge of a vessel," from de- "off, away" (see de-) + Medieval Latin canthus "corner, lip of a jug," from Latin cantus, canthus "iron rim around a carriage wheel" (see cant (n.2)). Related: Decanted