From: NotR...@NoSpam.com (NotReal)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: App to Set System Time from an NTP Server without root Privileges ?????
Date: Sat, 1 May 2021 15:22:17 -0000 (UTC)
 by: NotReal - Sat, 1 May 2021 15:22 UTC

Is there an app available that will allow an Android tablet to
synchronise its system time with an NTP time server on the LAN (no
Internet access) that does not require root privileges?

Everything I have found so far seems to require root privileges, yet as
an ordinary user you can manually set the date and time. Based on
that you would think an app could obtain the time from a specified
timer server and set the time without requiring root privileges.

Re: App to Set System Time from an NTP Server without root Privileges ?????

<6om0mh-7lb.ln1@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15315&group=comp.mobile.android#15315

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
?????
Date: Sat, 1 May 2021 21:28:38 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Sat, 1 May 2021 19:28 UTC

On 01/05/2021 17.22, NotReal wrote:
> Is there an app available that will allow an Android tablet to
> synchronise its system time with an NTP time server on the LAN (no
> Internet access) that does not require root privileges?
>
> Everything I have found so far seems to require root privileges, yet as
> an ordinary user you can manually set the date and time. Based on
> that you would think an app could obtain the time from a specified
> timer server and set the time without requiring root privileges.

I had one tool that explained why this could not be done. IIRC, google
changed the permissions.

ClockSync version 1.2.6 by Sergey Baranov (CrazyCoder)
It was on http://bit.ly/clocksync

It is no longer there on the store, and that link is dead now. I can
read the FAQ because I still have the app installed in my first Android
phone (version 2).

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: App to Set System Time from an NTP Server without root Privileges ?????

<4k149g90efe1jtdcbmpo3e7fasdndggv2p@dim53.demon.nl>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15358&group=comp.mobile.android#15358

From: k.n...@nospam.demon.nl (Kees Nuyt)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 05 May 2021 04:48:03 +0200
 by: Kees Nuyt - Wed, 5 May 2021 02:48 UTC

On Sat, 1 May 2021 15:22:17 -0000 (UTC), "NotReal"
<NotReal@NoSpam.com> wrote:

> Is there an app available that will allow an Android tablet to
> synchronise its system time with an NTP time server on the LAN (no
> Internet access) that does not require root privileges?
>
> Everything I have found so far seems to require root privileges, yet as
> an ordinary user you can manually set the date and time. Based on
> that you would think an app could obtain the time from a specified
> timer server and set the time without requiring root privileges.

I don't know af any app.

A way of approaching this would be to make the DNS server on
your LAN translate the name of the NTP server Android wants to
access to the IP address of the NTP server on your LAN.

You'll have to do some research with tcpdump / wireshark to
discover what Android does to get to its preferred NTP server.
--
Kees Nuyt

computers / comp.mobile.android / App to Set System Time from an NTP Server without root Privileges ?????