Linux - Where do you want to fly today? -- Unknown source

tech / sci.lang / Long words

SubjectAuthor
* Long wordsJohn Smith
+* Re: Long wordsPeter T. Daniels
|`- Re: Long wordsJohn Smith
+* Re: Long wordsRuud Harmsen
|`* Re: Long wordsPeter T. Daniels
| +- Re: Long wordsChristian Weisgerber
| +- Re: Long wordsRuud Harmsen
| `* Re: Long wordsChristian Weisgerber
|  `- Re: Long wordsPeter T. Daniels
+* Re: Long wordswugi
|+- Re: Long wordswugi
|`* Re: Long wordsChristian Weisgerber
| `* Re: Long wordsHelmut Richter
|  +- Re: Long wordswugi
|  +* Re: Long wordsRuud Harmsen
|  |`- Re: Long wordsHelmut Richter
|  `- Re: Long wordsChristian Weisgerber
+* Re: Long wordsDaud Deden
|`* Re: Long wordsPeter T. Daniels
| +* Re: Long wordsDaud Deden
| |`* Re: Long wordsRuud Harmsen
| | `* Re: Long wordsDaud Deden
| |  +* Re: Long wordsDKleinecke
| |  |`* Re: Long wordsDaud Deden
| |  | `* Re: Long wordsDKleinecke
| |  |  `* Re: Long wordsDaud Deden
| |  |   `* Re: Long wordsDKleinecke
| |  |    `* Re: Long wordsDaud Deden
| |  |     `* Re: Long wordsPeter T. Daniels
| |  |      `- Re: Long wordsDaud Deden
| |  `* Re: Long wordsRuud Harmsen
| |   `* Re: Long wordswugi
| |    +- Re: Long wordswugi
| |    +* Re: Long wordsRuud Harmsen
| |    |`* Re: Long wordsPeter T. Daniels
| |    | `* Re: Long wordsRuud Harmsen
| |    |  +* Re: Long wordsRuud Harmsen via Google Groups
| |    |  |`* Re: Long wordsRuud Harmsen via Google Groups
| |    |  | +* Re: Long wordsRuud Harmsen via Google Groups
| |    |  | |`* Re: Long wordsPeter T. Daniels
| |    |  | | `* Re: Long wordsRoss Clark
| |    |  | |  +- Re: Long wordsRuud Harmsen via Google Groups
| |    |  | |  `- Re: Long wordsPeter T. Daniels
| |    |  | `* Re: Long wordsPeter T. Daniels
| |    |  |  `- Re: Long wordsRuud Harmsen
| |    |  `* Re: Long wordsPeter T. Daniels
| |    |   `* Re: Long wordsRuud Harmsen
| |    |    `* Re: Long wordsPeter T. Daniels
| |    |     `- Re: Long wordsRuud Harmsen
| |    `- Re: Long wordsPeter T. Daniels
| `- Re: Long wordsRuud Harmsen
`* Re: Long wordsChristian Weisgerber
 +* Re: Long wordswugi
 |`- Re: Long wordsDaud Deden
 `* Re: Long wordsRuud Harmsen
  +- Re: Long wordsRuud Harmsen
  `* Re: Long wordsPeter T. Daniels
   `- Re: Long wordsRuud Harmsen

Pages:123
Long words

<ti1n71$1gkf$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=15310&group=sci.lang#15310

From: 123...@whatismyemailaddress.xyz (John Smith)
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Subject: Long words
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2022 18:10:41 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Smith - Mon, 10 Oct 2022 18:10 UTC

What are the linguistic criteria to determine when a string of
characters is a word? The reason I am asking is because it is often said
that German has very long words, when in fact what seems to be the case
that it is several separate words run together, each word having a
meaning in isolation. This is not the same thing as in Finnish, where one
can also have very long words by adding suffixes to a root, the suffixes
having no meaning in isolation.

Are the German and Finnish instances described above in the same
class when it comes to the linguistic concept of a word?

Re: Long words

<1b34380f-2084-4e2e-b623-289b1b912165n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=15311&group=sci.lang#15311

Newsgroups: sci.lang
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2022 13:02:09 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Long words
From: gramma...@verizon.net (Peter T. Daniels)
 by: Peter T. Daniels - Mon, 10 Oct 2022 20:02 UTC

On Monday, October 10, 2022 at 2:10:48 PM UTC-4, John Smith wrote:

> What are the linguistic criteria to determine when a string of
> characters is a word? The reason I am asking is because it is often said
> that German has very long words, when in fact what seems to be the case
> that it is several separate words run together, each word having a
> meaning in isolation. This is not the same thing as in Finnish, where one
> can also have very long words by adding suffixes to a root, the suffixes
> having no meaning in isolation.
>
> Are the German and Finnish instances described above in the same
> class when it comes to the linguistic concept of a word?

"Word" is not a particularly useful concept in linguistics. For some
languages, you can draw up criteria, which will be agreed upon. For
some, it's not so easy.

The linguist Jerry Sadock, who studied the Greenlandic language, put it
informally as "A word is what when you make a mistake in the middle of
it, you have to go back to the start to say the corrected version.
There's a more formal version in an article on the language in the journal
*Language*.

Re: Long words

<ti265o$s36$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=15312&group=sci.lang#15312

From: 123...@whatismyemailaddress.xyz (John Smith)
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2022 22:26:00 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Smith - Mon, 10 Oct 2022 22:26 UTC

On Mon, 10 Oct 2022 13:02:09 -0700 (PDT), Peter T. Daniels wrote:

> On Monday, October 10, 2022 at 2:10:48 PM UTC-4, John Smith wrote:
>
>> What are the linguistic criteria to determine when a string of
>> characters is a word? The reason I am asking is because it is often
>> said that German has very long words, when in fact what seems to be the
>> case that it is several separate words run together, each word having a
>> meaning in isolation. This is not the same thing as in Finnish, where
>> one can also have very long words by adding suffixes to a root, the
>> suffixes having no meaning in isolation.
>>
>> Are the German and Finnish instances described above in the same class
>> when it comes to the linguistic concept of a word?
>
> "Word" is not a particularly useful concept in linguistics. For some
> languages, you can draw up criteria, which will be agreed upon. For
> some, it's not so easy.
>
> The linguist Jerry Sadock, who studied the Greenlandic language, put it
> informally as "A word is what when you make a mistake in the middle of
> it, you have to go back to the start to say the corrected version.
> There's a more formal version in an article on the language in the
> journal *Language*.

OK, thanks for the explanation. It does make sense that a "word"
is a concept that will be strongly language-dependent - I imagine it
might even be difficult to define at all for some languages. Which I
guess renders the notion of "long word" valid within a specific language
alone, not across languages.

Re: Long words

<k08akhd7jjhkj6e5gmtj36516e6apuka1n@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=15313&group=sci.lang#15313

From: rh...@rudhar.com (Ruud Harmsen)
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2022 09:52:23 +0200
 by: Ruud Harmsen - Tue, 11 Oct 2022 07:52 UTC

Mon, 10 Oct 2022 18:10:41 -0000 (UTC): John Smith
<12345@whatismyemailaddress.xyz> scribeva:

> What are the linguistic criteria to determine when a string of
>characters is a word?

None. It is a spelling convention, different in every language.

>The reason I am asking is because it is often said
>that German has very long words, when in fact what seems to be the case
>that it is several separate words run together, each word having a
>meaning in isolation.

Yes, writing composite words as one word. Dutch and German do, English
usually doesn't.

>This is not the same thing as in Finnish, where one
>can also have very long words by adding suffixes to a root, the suffixes
>having no meaning in isolation.
>
> Are the German and Finnish instances described above in the same
>class when it comes to the linguistic concept of a word?

German etc. also have suffixes, like in Machbarkeiten,
Mach-bar-keit-en, feasabilities.
--
Ruud Harmsen, http://rudhar.com

Re: Long words

<ti3ccd$kn0$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=15314&group=sci.lang#15314

From: wug...@scrlt.com (wugi)
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2022 11:18:05 +0200
 by: wugi - Tue, 11 Oct 2022 09:18 UTC

Op 10/10/2022 om 20:10 schreef John Smith:
> What are the linguistic criteria to determine when a string of
> characters is a word? The reason I am asking is because it is often said
> that German has very long words, when in fact what seems to be the case
> that it is several separate words run together, each word having a
> meaning in isolation. This is not the same thing as in Finnish, where one
> can also have very long words by adding suffixes to a root, the suffixes
> having no meaning in isolation.
>
> Are the German and Finnish instances described above in the same
> class when it comes to the linguistic concept of a word?

Dutch and occasionally German do complicate those compounds by inserting
adverbial or case particles/suffixes:

kind, kinderen + school: kinderschool
rund, runderen (cow bull ox) + vlees (meat): rundervlees/rundsvlees
hond,-en + dag, dagen: hondsdagen (dog days)
vrouw,-en (women) + persoon: vrouwspersoon
etc.

--
guido wugi

Re: Long words

<ti3cvu$tm6$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=15315&group=sci.lang#15315

From: wug...@scrlt.com (wugi)
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2022 11:28:30 +0200
 by: wugi - Tue, 11 Oct 2022 09:28 UTC

Op 11/10/2022 om 11:18 schreef wugi:
> Op 10/10/2022 om 20:10 schreef John Smith:
>>     What are the linguistic criteria to determine when a string of
>> characters is a word? The reason I am asking is because it is often said
>> that German has very long words, when in fact what seems to be the case
>> that it is several separate words run together, each word having a
>> meaning in isolation. This is not the same thing as in Finnish, where one
>> can also have very long words by adding suffixes to a root, the suffixes
>> having no meaning in isolation.
>>
>>     Are the German and Finnish instances described above in the same
>> class when it comes to the linguistic concept of a word?
>
> Dutch and occasionally German do complicate those compounds by inserting
> adverbial or case particles/suffixes:
>
> kind, kinderen + school: kinderschool
> rund, runderen (cow bull ox) + vlees (meat): rundervlees/rundsvlees
> hond,-en + dag, dagen: hondsdagen (dog days)
> vrouw,-en (women) + persoon: vrouwspersoon
> etc.

I forgot the (in)famous "tussen-n"
rug, ruggen (back) + graat ([fish]bone) : ruggegraat, now ruggengraat
(backbone)
hart,-en + beest,en: hartebeest, now presumably hartenbeest
I'm even not sure with harte()leed, harte()wens etc.

Personally I distinguish between
hartedief: sweetheart; and
hartendief: womaniser, ladykiller

--
guido wugi

Re: Long words

<951098fd-f366-4cbf-b7b6-bd76c54778ffn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=15316&group=sci.lang#15316

Newsgroups: sci.lang
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2022 06:55:30 -0700 (PDT)
From: gramma...@verizon.net (Peter T. Daniels)
 by: Peter T. Daniels - Tue, 11 Oct 2022 13:55 UTC

On Tuesday, October 11, 2022 at 3:52:25 AM UTC-4, Ruud Harmsen wrote:
> Mon, 10 Oct 2022 18:10:41 -0000 (UTC): John Smith
> <12...@whatismyemailaddress.xyz> scribeva:

> > What are the linguistic criteria to determine when a string of
> >characters is a word?
>
> None. It is a spelling convention, different in every language.

Well, that's not correct, either.

In Hungarian (I believe you've been discussing that language recently)
each stressed syllable begins a new word; in Polish, a new word begins
with the second syllable after a stress, etc. In French, word spaces
clearly do not correspond with the spoken language, with both prefixed
and suffixed clitics and pronouns and such.

In Latin and Turkish, almost every word has desinences added to its
end. In Greek, only a limited number of phonemes could end a word.

It's when you get to the polysynthetic languages that finding criteria
other than Sadock's for demarcating words is difficult.

Re: Long words

<ab1f4955-65e4-44e9-8eea-bc3676780a42n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=15319&group=sci.lang#15319

Newsgroups: sci.lang
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2022 00:34:02 -0700 (PDT)
From: daud.de...@gmail.com (Daud Deden)
 by: Daud Deden - Wed, 12 Oct 2022 07:34 UTC

On Monday, October 10, 2022 at 2:10:48 PM UTC-4, John Smith wrote:
> What are the linguistic criteria to determine when a string of
> characters is a word? The reason I am asking is because it is often said
> that German has very long words, when in fact what seems to be the case
> that it is several separate words run together, each word having a
> meaning in isolation. This is not the same thing as in Finnish, where one
> can also have very long words by adding suffixes to a root, the suffixes
> having no meaning in isolation.
>
> Are the German and Finnish instances described above in the same
> class when it comes to the linguistic concept of a word?

A word is merely an utterance with meaning, in Paleo-etymology, from before the era of written character symbols.
Although today suffixes might have no meaning, they probably did have in the past.

Re: Long words

<6cddff80-572b-485b-9e38-4c8937521024n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=15320&group=sci.lang#15320

Newsgroups: sci.lang
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2022 08:00:55 -0700 (PDT)
From: gramma...@verizon.net (Peter T. Daniels)
 by: Peter T. Daniels - Wed, 12 Oct 2022 15:00 UTC

On Wednesday, October 12, 2022 at 3:34:03 AM UTC-4, daud....@gmail.com wrote:
> On Monday, October 10, 2022 at 2:10:48 PM UTC-4, John Smith wrote:

> > What are the linguistic criteria to determine when a string of
> > characters is a word? The reason I am asking is because it is often said
> > that German has very long words, when in fact what seems to be the case
> > that it is several separate words run together, each word having a
> > meaning in isolation. This is not the same thing as in Finnish, where one
> > can also have very long words by adding suffixes to a root, the suffixes
> > having no meaning in isolation.
> >
> > Are the German and Finnish instances described above in the same
> > class when it comes to the linguistic concept of a word?
>
> A word is merely an utterance with meaning, in Paleo-etymology, from before the era of written character symbols.
> Although today suffixes might have no meaning, they probably did have in the past.

What is a suffix that "has no meaning"?

Do you know *any* language other than English?

NB for John Smith: "Paleo-etymology" is DD's own personal hobbyhorse,
which has nothing to do with linguistics or with facts about language.

Re: Long words

<001947eb-b150-4ff8-9cf7-7226c74b285en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=15321&group=sci.lang#15321

Newsgroups: sci.lang
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2022 10:01:36 -0700 (PDT)
From: daud.de...@gmail.com (Daud Deden)
 by: Daud Deden - Wed, 12 Oct 2022 17:01 UTC

On Wednesday, October 12, 2022 at 11:00:56 AM UTC-4, Peter T. Daniels wrote:
> On Wednesday, October 12, 2022 at 3:34:03 AM UTC-4, daud....@gmail.com wrote:
> > On Monday, October 10, 2022 at 2:10:48 PM UTC-4, John Smith wrote:
>
> > > What are the linguistic criteria to determine when a string of
> > > characters is a word? The reason I am asking is because it is often said
> > > that German has very long words, when in fact what seems to be the case
> > > that it is several separate words run together, each word having a
> > > meaning in isolation. This is not the same thing as in Finnish, where one
> > > can also have very long words by adding suffixes to a root, the suffixes
> > > having no meaning in isolation.
> > >
> > > Are the German and Finnish instances described above in the same
> > > class when it comes to the linguistic concept of a word?
> >
> > A word is merely an utterance with meaning, in Paleo-etymology, from before the era of written character symbols.
> > Although today suffixes might have no meaning, they probably did have in the past.
> What is a suffix that "has no meaning"?

"... the suffixes having no meaning in isolation".

> Do you know *any* language other than English?

What 'language' is *"English"*? A tempero-geopolitical dialect of the human language, no?

> NB for John Smith: "Paleo-etymology" is DD's own personal hobbyhorse,
> which has nothing to do with linguistics or with facts about language.

Rather, it is the study of word evolution, from the perspective of primate communication.
Whereas (many) "linguists" appear to prefer to remain focused upon armies & navies and other neo-political shenanigans.

Re: Long words

<td4ekhhrutv4l0mkrh5a8lhdd81dnggopr@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=15322&group=sci.lang#15322

From: rh...@rudhar.com (Ruud Harmsen)
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2022 21:14:08 +0200
 by: Ruud Harmsen - Wed, 12 Oct 2022 19:14 UTC

>On Wednesday, October 12, 2022 at 3:34:03 AM UTC-4, daud....@gmail.com wrote:
>> A word is merely an utterance with meaning, in Paleo-etymology, from before the era of written character symbols.
>> Although today suffixes might have no meaning, they probably did have in the past.

Wed, 12 Oct 2022 08:00:55 -0700 (PDT): "Peter T. Daniels"
<grammatim@verizon.net> scribeva:
>What is a suffix that "has no meaning"?
>
>Do you know *any* language other than English?

Malay.

https://rudhar.com/lingtics/intrlnga/toentcqu.htm
--
Ruud Harmsen, http://rudhar.com

Re: Long words

<jg4ekh5869e2i5int7hb2c52p545ast4hs@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=15323&group=sci.lang#15323

From: rh...@rudhar.com (Ruud Harmsen)
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2022 21:17:34 +0200
 by: Ruud Harmsen - Wed, 12 Oct 2022 19:17 UTC

>On Wednesday, October 12, 2022 at 11:00:56 AM UTC-4, Peter T. Daniels wrote:
>> Do you know *any* language other than English?

Wed, 12 Oct 2022 10:01:36 -0700 (PDT): Daud Deden
<daud.deden@gmail.com> scribeva:
>What 'language' is *"English"*?

Quote of the year.

>A tempero-geopolitical dialect of the human language, no?

No.

>> NB for John Smith: "Paleo-etymology" is DD's own personal hobbyhorse,
>> which has nothing to do with linguistics or with facts about language.
>
>Rather, it is the study of word evolution, from the perspective of primate communication.

No.

>Whereas (many) "linguists" appear to prefer to remain focused upon armies & navies and other neo-political shenanigans.

No.
--
Ruud Harmsen, http://rudhar.com

Re: Long words

<1d3e9888-2d21-44e4-9c48-d948dfa9a4f5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=15324&group=sci.lang#15324

Newsgroups: sci.lang
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2022 12:47:18 -0700 (PDT)
From: daud.de...@gmail.com (Daud Deden)
 by: Daud Deden - Wed, 12 Oct 2022 19:47 UTC

On Wednesday, October 12, 2022 at 3:17:36 PM UTC-4, Ruud Harmsen wrote:
> >On Wednesday, October 12, 2022 at 11:00:56 AM UTC-4, Peter T. Daniels wrote:
> >> Do you know *any* language other than English?
> Wed, 12 Oct 2022 10:01:36 -0700 (PDT): Daud Deden
> <daud....@gmail.com> scribeva:
> >What 'language' is *"English"*?
> Quote of the year.
> >A tempero-geopolitical dialect of the human language, no?
> No.
> >> NB for John Smith: "Paleo-etymology" is DD's own personal hobbyhorse,
> >> which has nothing to do with linguistics or with facts about language.
> >
> >Rather, it is the study of word evolution, from the perspective of primate communication.
> No.
> >Whereas (many) "linguists" appear to prefer to remain focused upon armies & navies and other neo-political shenanigans.
> No.
> --
> Ruud Harmsen, http://rudhar.com

Ruud, you no everything and know nothing about Paleo-etymology, since it is not mentioned in your bible, wikipedia.
Now just try to answer this question: "What are the linguistic criteria to determine when a string of
characters is a word?"

Re: Long words

<a027a959-f8aa-4069-9e49-2f15cb5ed082n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=15326&group=sci.lang#15326

Newsgroups: sci.lang
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2022 15:43:09 -0700 (PDT)
From: dkleine...@gmail.com (DKleinecke)
 by: DKleinecke - Wed, 12 Oct 2022 22:43 UTC

On Wednesday, October 12, 2022 at 12:47:20 PM UTC-7, daud....@gmail.com wrote:
> > Wed, 12 Oct 2022 10:01:36 -0700 (PDT): Daud Deden
> > <daud....@gmail.com> scribeva:
> > >What 'language' is *"English"*?
> > Quote of the year.
> > >A tempero-geopolitical dialect of the human language, no?
> > No.
> > >
> > >Rather, it is the study of word evolution, from the perspective of primate communication.
> > No.
> > >Whereas (many) "linguists" appear to prefer to remain focused upon armies & navies and other neo-political shenanigans.
> > No.
> > --
> > Ruud Harmsen, http://rudhar.com
> Ruud, you no everything and know nothing about Paleo-etymology, since it is not mentioned in your bible, wikipedia.
> Now just try to answer this question: "What are the linguistic criteria to determine when a string of
> characters is a word?"

Bad question. You need to first announce your definition of "character". That is,
your assumed universal phonology. Then you can define "word" within that
phonology. I see no reason for assuming a one-to-one correspondence between
phonological words and semantic objects.

Re: Long words

<a3b7ea4b-b492-4eac-904a-9b95fa0a9ff8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=15327&group=sci.lang#15327

Newsgroups: sci.lang
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2022 19:38:54 -0700 (PDT)
From: daud.de...@gmail.com (Daud Deden)
 by: Daud Deden - Thu, 13 Oct 2022 02:38 UTC

On Wednesday, October 12, 2022 at 6:43:11 PM UTC-4, DKleinecke wrote:
> > > Wed, 12 Oct 2022 10:01:36 -0700 (PDT): Daud Deden
> > > <daud....@gmail.com> scribeva:
> > > Quote of the year.
> > > No.

> > > No.
> > > No.
> > > --
> > > Ruud Harmsen, http://rudhar.com
> > Ruud, you no everything and know nothing about Paleo-etymology, since it is not mentioned in your bible, wikipedia.
> > Now just try to answer this question: "What are the linguistic criteria to determine when a string of
> > characters is a word?"
> >
> Bad question. You need to first announce your definition of "character". That is,
> your assumed universal phonology. Then you can define "word" within that
> phonology. I see no reason for assuming a one-to-one correspondence between
> phonological words and semantic objects.

The question was first posted/posed by John Smith, I pasted it for Ruud's benefit, to prevent him from going too far off track.

My earlier response seems adequate:
"A word is merely an utterance with meaning, in Paleo-etymology, from before the era of written character symbols."

Re: Long words

<8449cc80-c7cc-4925-a457-1b620d0a2814n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=15328&group=sci.lang#15328

Newsgroups: sci.lang
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2022 20:36:48 -0700 (PDT)
From: dkleine...@gmail.com (DKleinecke)
 by: DKleinecke - Thu, 13 Oct 2022 03:36 UTC

On Wednesday, October 12, 2022 at 7:38:56 PM UTC-7, daud....@gmail.com wrote:
> On Wednesday, October 12, 2022 at 6:43:11 PM UTC-4, DKleinecke wrote:

> > > Ruud, you no everything and know nothing about Paleo-etymology, since it is not mentioned in your bible, wikipedia.
> > > Now just try to answer this question: "What are the linguistic criteria to determine when a string of
> > > characters is a word?"
> > >
> > Bad question. You need to first announce your definition of "character". That is,
> > your assumed universal phonology. Then you can define "word" within that
> > phonology. I see no reason for assuming a one-to-one correspondence between
> > phonological words and semantic objects.
> The question was first posted/posed by John Smith, I pasted it for Ruud's benefit, to prevent him from going too far off track.
>
> My earlier response seems adequate:
> "A word is merely an utterance with meaning, in Paleo-etymology, from before the era of written character symbols."

I am beginning to suspect you don't know what phonology means. The
fact that you refer to characters rather than phonemes makes that
more likely. You can't discuss words without discussing phonemes and
the rest of the machinery of phonology. PTD suggests you don't know
any language except English - somebody adds Malay. You need to learn
some linguistics to avoid speaking silly things. Isn't all like English.

Re: Long words

<0eab5942-7296-460f-9d34-3e2670bf8bb5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=15329&group=sci.lang#15329

Newsgroups: sci.lang
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2022 23:37:46 -0700 (PDT)
From: daud.de...@gmail.com (Daud Deden)
 by: Daud Deden - Thu, 13 Oct 2022 06:37 UTC

On Wednesday, October 12, 2022 at 11:36:50 PM UTC-4, DKleinecke wrote:
> On Wednesday, October 12, 2022 at 7:38:56 PM UTC-7, daud....@gmail.com wrote:

> > > Bad question. You need to first announce your definition of "character". That is,
> > > your assumed universal phonology. Then you can define "word" within that
> > > phonology. I see no reason for assuming a one-to-one correspondence between
> > > phonological words and semantic objects.
> > The question was first posted/posed by John Smith, I pasted it for Ruud's benefit, to prevent him from going too far off track.
> >
> > My earlier response seems adequate:
> > "A word is merely an utterance with meaning, in Paleo-etymology, from before the era of written character symbols."
> >
> I am beginning to suspect you don't know what phonology means. The
> fact that you refer to characters rather than phonemes makes that
> more likely. You can't discuss words without discussing phonemes and
> the rest of the machinery of phonology. PTD suggests you don't know
> any language except English - somebody adds Malay. You need to learn
> some linguistics to avoid speaking silly things. Isn't all like English.

https://biologydictionary.net/ 'phoneme' term not found.
https://www.biologyonline.com/search/phoneme term not found.
Oxford Medical Dictionary phoneme term not found.

I have no problem discussing words (in a bio- evolutionary context) without discussing phonemes.
Once again, my interest is in primate communication, which includes the human language, which includes "long words".
PTD is not a biologist, nor are you & Ruud.
I speak a local variant of the human language. Most everybody does.

So, then, back to 'long words'.

Re: Long words

<4rgfkht5q4loohldhuv26flv7a6155kpa3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=15330&group=sci.lang#15330

From: rh...@rudhar.com (Ruud Harmsen)
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2022 09:57:10 +0200
 by: Ruud Harmsen - Thu, 13 Oct 2022 07:57 UTC

Wed, 12 Oct 2022 12:47:18 -0700 (PDT): Daud Deden
<daud.deden@gmail.com> scribeva:

>> Wed, 12 Oct 2022 10:01:36 -0700 (PDT): Daud Deden
>> <daud....@gmail.com> scribeva:
>> >What 'language' is *"English"*?
>> Quote of the year.
>> >A tempero-geopolitical dialect of the human language, no?
>> No.
>> >
>> >Rather, it is the study of word evolution, from the perspective of primate communication.
>> No.
>> >Whereas (many) "linguists" appear to prefer to remain focused upon armies & navies and other neo-political shenanigans.
>> No.
>> --
>> Ruud Harmsen, http://rudhar.com
>
>Ruud, you no everything and know nothing about Paleo-etymology, since it is not mentioned in your bible, wikipedia.
>Now just try to answer this question: "What are the linguistic criteria to determine when a string of
>characters is a word?"

See previous contributions by Peter T. Daniels, who pointed out some
possible approaches and some difficulties.

My own practical definition is here:
https://rudhar.com/sfreview/siworin/siworin05.htm
Quote:
"A word is a sequence of alphabetic UTF-8 characters. Dashes (-) and
apostrophes (' or ’) may occur, except at the start and the end, for
English words like ‘don’t’ and ‘isn’t’. "
--
Ruud Harmsen, http://rudhar.com

Re: Long words

<ti8m73$171j$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=15332&group=sci.lang#15332

From: wug...@scrlt.com (wugi)
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2022 11:36:34 +0200
 by: wugi - Thu, 13 Oct 2022 09:36 UTC

Op 13/10/2022 om 9:57 schreef Ruud Harmsen:
> Wed, 12 Oct 2022 12:47:18 -0700 (PDT): Daud Deden
> <daud.deden@gmail.com> scribeva:

>>> Wed, 12 Oct 2022 10:01:36 -0700 (PDT): Daud Deden
>>> <daud....@gmail.com> scribeva:
>>> Quote of the year.
>>> No.

>>> No.
>>> No.
>>> --
>>> Ruud Harmsen, http://rudhar.com
>>
>> Ruud, you no everything and know nothing about Paleo-etymology, since it is not mentioned in your bible, wikipedia.
>> Now just try to answer this question: "What are the linguistic criteria to determine when a string of
>> characters is a word?"
>
> See previous contributions by Peter T. Daniels, who pointed out some
> possible approaches and some difficulties.
>
> My own practical definition is here:
> https://rudhar.com/sfreview/siworin/siworin05.htm
> Quote:
> "A word is a sequence of alphabetic UTF-8 characters. Dashes (-) and
> apostrophes (' or ’) may occur, except at the start and the end, for
> English words like ‘don’t’ and ‘isn’t’. "

Funny you now define a word in writing terms, I thought it ought to be a
semantic thing in the first place?

Anyway, written and spoken words are not per se congruent.

Are methinks, meseems single words?
Are E. lady killer two words and Nl. ladykiller one?
Is F. j' "sh" in j'sais pas a word?
And j't'ai dit: one or three words in one syllable?
And the (in)famous F. liaisons, after a pause or hesitation, what words
have we here:
Le- z'autres. Dan- z'un instant. Tou- t'à fait.
Are Sp. dale, dalo, dáselo single words, and E. give him, give it, give
it to him not? And F. donne-lui, donne-le, donne-le-lui?
Is Nl. inderdaad a single word and D. In der Tat not?

guido wugi

Re: Long words

<ti8mb1$171j$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=15333&group=sci.lang#15333

From: wug...@scrlt.com (wugi)
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2022 11:38:39 +0200
 by: wugi - Thu, 13 Oct 2022 09:38 UTC

Op 13/10/2022 om 11:36 schreef wugi:

> And j't'ai dit: one or three words in one syllable?

J't'l'avais bien dit :)

--
guido wugi

Re: Long words

<4j3gkhhh0iqcr0n8432d2v2usdg9gdi0oo@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=15335&group=sci.lang#15335

From: rh...@rudhar.com (Ruud Harmsen)
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2022 15:17:33 +0200
 by: Ruud Harmsen - Thu, 13 Oct 2022 13:17 UTC

Thu, 13 Oct 2022 11:36:34 +0200: wugi <wugi@scrlt.com> scribeva:
>Funny you now define a word in writing terms, I thought it ought to be a
>semantic thing in the first place?

Not for my practical purpose of extracting words from the HTML of a
website.

>Anyway, written and spoken words are not per se congruent.
>
>Are methinks, meseems single words?

I'd say yes.

>Are E. lady killer two words and Nl. ladykiller one?

Yes.

>Is F. j' "sh" in j'sais pas a word?

According to my algorithm, yes.

>And j't'ai dit: one or three words in one syllable?
>And the (in)famous F. liaisons, after a pause or hesitation, what words
>have we here:
>Le- z'autres. Dan- z'un instant. Tou- t'à fait.
>Are Sp. dale, dalo, dáselo single words, and E. give him, give it, give
>it to him not? And F. donne-lui, donne-le, donne-le-lui?
>Is Nl. inderdaad a single word and D. In der Tat not?

Quite.

My definition, by the way, requires spaces or other punctuation
between words, so it doesn't work for Japanese or Chinese. Before
writing my own search engine, I used Hyper Estraier, written by a
Japanese, and supporting Asian languages by using n-grams. (Whatever
that is, I still don't quite understand.) But it wasn't faultless, and
moreover the software was uncompilable and and unrunnable, and the
developer had been silent for many tears.

Mine does work, without special effort, for languages like Greek,
Arabic, Yiddish, Georgian and Javanese.
--
Ruud Harmsen, http://rudhar.com

Re: Long words

<256399d8-bb74-41b8-b997-bd75732ef2f7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=15336&group=sci.lang#15336

Newsgroups: sci.lang
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2022 06:17:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: gramma...@verizon.net (Peter T. Daniels)
 by: Peter T. Daniels - Thu, 13 Oct 2022 13:17 UTC

On Thursday, October 13, 2022 at 5:36:38 AM UTC-4, wugi wrote:
> Op 13/10/2022 om 9:57 schreef Ruud Harmsen:
> > Wed, 12 Oct 2022 12:47:18 -0700 (PDT): Daud Deden
> > <daud....@gmail.com> scribeva:

> >> Ruud, you no everything and know nothing about Paleo-etymology, since it is not mentioned in your bible, wikipedia.
> >> Now just try to answer this question: "What are the linguistic criteria to determine when a string of
> >> characters is a word?"
> >
> > See previous contributions by Peter T. Daniels, who pointed out some
> > possible approaches and some difficulties.
> >
> > My own practical definition is here:
> > https://rudhar.com/sfreview/siworin/siworin05.htm
> > Quote:
> > "A word is a sequence of alphabetic UTF-8 characters. Dashes (-) and
> > apostrophes (' or ’) may occur, except at the start and the end, for
> > English words like ‘don’t’ and ‘isn’t’. "
> Funny you now define a word in writing terms, I thought it ought to be a
> semantic thing in the first place?
>
> Anyway, written and spoken words are not per se congruent.
>
> Are methinks, meseems single words?
> Are E. lady killer two words and Nl. ladykiller one?
> Is F. j' "sh" in j'sais pas a word?
> And j't'ai dit: one or three words in one syllable?
> And the (in)famous F. liaisons, after a pause or hesitation, what words
> have we here:
> Le- z'autres. Dan- z'un instant. Tou- t'à fait.
> Are Sp. dale, dalo, dáselo single words, and E. give him, give it, give
> it to him not? And F. donne-lui, donne-le, donne-le-lui?
> Is Nl. inderdaad a single word and D. In der Tat not?

In 1948, Robert A. Hall Jr. (who was a teacher of mine later on)
caused a firestorm. among Gallicists at least, when in his *French:
A Structural Sketch* (a supplement to the journal *Language*) he
did away with orthography entirely and with the notion of "word"
and treated the sort of thing wugi mentions as "breath groups" --
rather like Sadock's definition of "word" that I gave earlier.

He didn't do a similar sketch of Spanish, but I think you'll find
that sort of thing about English in C. C. Fries's two books from
the 1930s. At that time there were no oral databases, of course,
so he used as his data the next best thing: letters written to
President FDR from the marginally literate, whose expressions
could be assumed to have barely been tainted by prescriptivism.

Re: Long words

<21e3047a-3757-4cd1-b28e-286522ad6313n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=15338&group=sci.lang#15338

Newsgroups: sci.lang
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2022 06:23:00 -0700 (PDT)
From: gramma...@verizon.net (Peter T. Daniels)
 by: Peter T. Daniels - Thu, 13 Oct 2022 13:23 UTC

On Thursday, October 13, 2022 at 9:17:36 AM UTC-4, Ruud Harmsen wrote:
> >Op 13/10/2022 om 9:57 schreef Ruud Harmsen:

> My definition, by the way, requires spaces or other punctuation
> between words, so it doesn't work for Japanese or Chinese. Before

Virtually every word in Japanese is written with one or two kanji
followed by several hiragana for the inflections (or else entirely
in katakana), so it should be childsplay [the squggler doesn't like
that -- isn't it the name of the first Chucky movie?] to write a
program to chop up a Japanese text into words. Because Japanese
is rigorously suffixing, it's a language where defining "word" is easy.
(Deciding whether some affixes are "suffixes" or "clitics" is a different
question.)

Re: Long words

<slrntkg661.7d3.naddy@lorvorc.mips.inka.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=15341&group=sci.lang#15341

From: nad...@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2022 13:55:13 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Christian Weisgerber - Thu, 13 Oct 2022 13:55 UTC

On 2022-10-10, John Smith <12345@whatismyemailaddress.xyz> wrote:

> What are the linguistic criteria to determine when a string of
> characters is a word?

As others have already mentioned, there is no good linguistic
definition for what constitutes a word. Problems arise when trying
to apply criteria across languages, but even within one language,
criteria for syntactical words, morphological words, phonological
words, etc. may be incompatible.

In fact, the notion of a "phonological word" frequently comes up
in opposition to words defined otherwise, e.g. by orthography.
Take a simple English sentence:

I gave her the book.

For a language like English, it makes sense to require that a
phonological word incorporates a stressed syllable. But in normal,
casual pronunciation, people don't pronounce "gave her" as two
syllables; instead the "her" is unstressed and attached to "gave",
"gave'er" /ˈgeɪvər/. So is "gave her" one word?

> The reason I am asking is because it is often said
> that German has very long words, when in fact what seems to be the case
> that it is several separate words run together, each word having a
> meaning in isolation.

Stop.

Indeed, those long German words are typically noun-based compounds,
frequently (noun-...-)noun-noun compounds. All Germanic languages
form such compounds, including English. The salient difference is
purely orthographic: English separates the components with spaces,
German doesn't. So when discussing this phenomenon, you don't need
to exoticize it by invoking German. English itself shows the same.

My favorite example, because it actually occurs in the wild, is

Abu Dhabi Combat Club Submission Wrestling World Championships
gold medalist

It's so long I had to break the line. Syntactically, that monster
behaves like a single noun. And it's just a fluke of orthography
that English doesn't spell it as

abudhabicombatclubsubmissionwrestlingworldchampionshipsgoldmedalist

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber naddy@mips.inka.de

Re: Long words

<slrntkg6ll.7d3.naddy@lorvorc.mips.inka.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=15342&group=sci.lang#15342

From: nad...@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2022 14:03:33 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Christian Weisgerber - Thu, 13 Oct 2022 14:03 UTC

On 2022-10-11, Peter T. Daniels <grammatim@verizon.net> wrote:

> In French, word spaces clearly do not correspond with the spoken
> language, with both prefixed and suffixed clitics and pronouns and
> such.

It's even worse: syllabification will happily cross "word" boundaries
so that the final consonant of one word and the initial vowel of
the next word form a single syllable ("enchaînement").

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber naddy@mips.inka.de