Statistics are no substitute for judgement. -- Henry Clay

computers / comp.mobile.android / Google off-line maps expiration?

SubjectAuthor
* Google off-line maps expiration?The Real Bev
+* Re: Google off-line maps expiration?nospam
|+* Re: Google off-line maps expiration?NY
||+* Re: Google off-line maps expiration?The Real Bev
|||+* Re: Google off-line maps expiration?NY
|||+* Re: Google off-line maps expiration?Tony Mountifield
|||`* Re: Google off-line maps expiration?The Real Bev
||| +- Re: Google off-line maps expiration?AJL
||| `- Re: Google off-line maps expiration?Carlos E. R.
||+* Re: Google off-line maps expiration?nospam
|||`- Re: Google off-line maps expiration?paul
||`- Re: Google off-line maps expiration?Frank Slootweg
|`- Re: Google off-line maps expiration?Tony Mountifield
`* Re: Google off-line maps expiration?VanguardLH
 `* Re: Google off-line maps expiration?The Real Bev
  `* Re: Google off-line maps expiration?VanguardLH
   +- Re: Google off-line maps expiration?paul
   +* Re: Google off-line maps expiration?nospam
   |`* Re: Google off-line maps expiration?NY
   | `- Re: Google off-line maps expiration?nospam
   `* Re: Google off-line maps expiration?The Real Bev
    +* Re: Google off-line maps expiration?Ken Blake
    |+* Re: Google off-line maps expiration?Frank Slootweg
    ||`* Re: Google off-line maps expiration?The Real Bev
    || `* Re: Google off-line maps expiration?Frank Slootweg
    ||  +- Re: Google off-line maps expiration?The Real Bev
    ||  `* Re: Google off-line maps expiration?VanguardLH
    ||   +* Re: Google off-line maps expiration?The Real Bev
    ||   |`- Re: Google off-line maps expiration?VanguardLH
    ||   `- Re: Google off-line maps expiration?Frank Slootweg
    |+* Re: Google off-line maps expiration?The Real Bev
    ||`- Re: Google off-line maps expiration?Ken Blake
    |`* Re: Google off-line maps expiration?VanguardLH
    | +- Re: Google off-line maps expiration?The Real Bev
    | `* Re: Google off-line maps expiration?Ken Blake
    |  `* Re: Google off-line maps expiration?The Real Bev
    |   +* Re: Google off-line maps expiration?VanguardLH
    |   |`* Re: Google off-line maps expiration?The Real Bev
    |   | `- Re: Google off-line maps expiration?nospam
    |   +- Re: Google off-line maps expiration?Ken Blake
    |   `* Re: Google off-line maps expiration?Frank Slootweg
    |    `- Re: Google off-line maps expiration?VanguardLH
    `* Re: Google off-line maps expiration?VanguardLH
     +* Re: Google off-line maps expiration?The Real Bev
     |`* Re: Google off-line maps expiration?VanguardLH
     | `- Re: Google off-line maps expiration?The Real Bev
     `* Re: Google off-line maps expiration?Kees Nuyt
      +* Re: Google off-line maps expiration?nospam
      |`* Re: Google off-line maps expiration?Dean Hoffman
      | `- Re: Google off-line maps expiration?nospam
      `* Re: Google off-line maps expiration?VanguardLH
       `* Re: Google off-line maps expiration?Piet
        +* Re: Google off-line maps expiration?NY
        |`- Re: Google off-line maps expiration?nospam
        `* Re: Google off-line maps expiration?VanguardLH
         `- Re: Google off-line maps expiration?VanguardLH

Pages:123
Google off-line maps expiration?

<s791ke$sbg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15395&group=comp.mobile.android#15395

From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Google off-line maps expiration?
Date: Sun, 9 May 2021 09:11:56 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Sun, 9 May 2021 16:11 UTC

No data plan.

When I update them at home over wifi it says they're good for a year.
BUT they seem to go haywire if you don't update within some much shorter
period -- like a month. WTF?

Especially annoying if you're trusting it to tell you about traffic in
an intricate 20-mile route through Los Angeles/Beverly Hills on surface
streets because that's just what you have to do and it takes you in a
circle...

--
Cheers, Bev
I've enjoyed just about as much of this as I can stand.

Re: Google off-line maps expiration?

<090520211459239530%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15396&group=comp.mobile.android#15396

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Google off-line maps expiration?
Date: Sun, 09 May 2021 14:59:23 -0400
 by: nospam - Sun, 9 May 2021 18:59 UTC

In article <s791ke$sbg$1@dont-email.me>, The Real Bev
<bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:

> No data plan.

that's why.

> When I update them at home over wifi it says they're good for a year.
> BUT they seem to go haywire if you don't update within some much shorter
> period -- like a month. WTF?

they expire in 15 days, at the most:

<https://support.google.com/maps/answer/6291838?hl=en>
Offline maps that you downloaded on your phone or tablet need to be
updated before they expire. When your offline maps expire in 15 days
or less, Google Maps will try to update the area automatically when
you're connected to Wi-Fi.

> Especially annoying if you're trusting it to tell you about traffic in
> an intricate 20-mile route through Los Angeles/Beverly Hills on surface
> streets because that's just what you have to do and it takes you in a
> circle...

traffic can change at any time and requires a data plan for real-time
information.

Re: Google off-line maps expiration?

<s79fjd$cfq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15397&group=comp.mobile.android#15397

From: me...@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 9 May 2021 21:10:17 +0100
 by: NY - Sun, 9 May 2021 20:10 UTC

"nospam" <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
> In article <s791ke$sbg$1@dont-email.me>, The Real Bev
> <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> No data plan.
>
> that's why.
>
>> When I update them at home over wifi it says they're good for a year.
>> BUT they seem to go haywire if you don't update within some much shorter
>> period -- like a month. WTF?
>
> they expire in 15 days, at the most:
>
> <https://support.google.com/maps/answer/6291838?hl=en>
> Offline maps that you downloaded on your phone or tablet need to be
> updated before they expire. When your offline maps expire in 15 days
> or less, Google Maps will try to update the area automatically when
> you're connected to Wi-Fi.
>
>> Especially annoying if you're trusting it to tell you about traffic in
>> an intricate 20-mile route through Los Angeles/Beverly Hills on surface
>> streets because that's just what you have to do and it takes you in a
>> circle...
>
> traffic can change at any time and requires a data plan for real-time
> information.

Maps are not traffic information. In the past I've downloaded Google map
tiles of places that I've been going to, and I've been able to access them
offline at any time before the stated expiry date which is around a year. I
know it's been offline because I've been able to do so on a cruise ship
where I'm not connected to the ship's rip-off-rate wifi and I've turned off
mobile data to avoid being charged for that, at even more extortionate
rates.

When I'm in port, I tend to have mobile data turned on, and this has (in the
past) been charged at normal UK rate (ie included in my monthly data limit)
for places in Europe - both in EU, such as Belgium/Germany/Netherlands,
Sweden, Denmark; and outside EU, such as Norway. But that's not been
necessary for the maps to work.

Obviously traffic changes minute by minute, so I don't get that offline, but
streets remain the same for months if not years.

Nowadays I tend to use Open Streetmaps more than Google Maps, and OSM *does*
need online access. But that's because I prefer the level of detail on OSM
that is missing on Google Maps.

I'm puzzled by the OP's reference to "trusting it to tell you about traffic
in an intricate 20-mile route through Los Angeles/Beverly Hills on surface
streets" - that word "traffic" makes my wonder how he expects transient
information like traffic jams to be available offline. But for
route-planning, ignoring traffic, offline maps should be fine.

There are also Android apps such as Here Maps which have an offline mode and
require you to download a map of a whole country in advance, but that
(AFAIK) *never* expires, even if its info becomes "stale" when a new road
opens or an existing road is diverted. I use it a lot as a satnav in the UK
because mobile reception can be patchy.

Re: Google off-line maps expiration?

<s79h5h$66i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15399&group=comp.mobile.android#15399

From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 9 May 2021 13:37:03 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Sun, 9 May 2021 20:37 UTC

On 05/09/2021 01:10 PM, NY wrote:
> "nospam" <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
>> In article <s791ke$sbg$1@dont-email.me>, The Real Bev
>> <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> No data plan.
>>
>> that's why.
>>
>>> When I update them at home over wifi it says they're good for a year.
>>> BUT they seem to go haywire if you don't update within some much shorter
>>> period -- like a month. WTF?
>>
>> they expire in 15 days, at the most:
>>
>> <https://support.google.com/maps/answer/6291838?hl=en>
>> Offline maps that you downloaded on your phone or tablet need to be
>> updated before they expire. When your offline maps expire in 15 days
>> or less, Google Maps will try to update the area automatically when
>> you're connected to Wi-Fi.

So why does it give a 1-year expiration date? Would Google actually LIE
to us?

>>> Especially annoying if you're trusting it to tell you about traffic in
>>> an intricate 20-mile route through Los Angeles/Beverly Hills on surface
>>> streets because that's just what you have to do and it takes you in a
>>> circle...
>>
>> traffic can change at any time and requires a data plan for real-time
>> information.

I understand that. BUT I'm confused when The Nice Lady tells me that
she's rerouting me to save two minutes. This makes no sense unless,
like the Garmin, it gets traffic info via RF. Or if I somehow
automatically connected momentarily using somebody's open wifi
connection, which seems unlikely.

> Maps are not traffic information. In the past I've downloaded Google map
> tiles of places that I've been going to, and I've been able to access them
> offline at any time before the stated expiry date which is around a year. I
> know it's been offline because I've been able to do so on a cruise ship
> where I'm not connected to the ship's rip-off-rate wifi and I've turned off
> mobile data to avoid being charged for that, at even more extortionate
> rates.

15 days. 1 year. Somebody is lying.

> When I'm in port, I tend to have mobile data turned on, and this has (in the
> past) been charged at normal UK rate (ie included in my monthly data limit)
> for places in Europe - both in EU, such as Belgium/Germany/Netherlands,
> Sweden, Denmark; and outside EU, such as Norway. But that's not been
> necessary for the maps to work.
>
> Obviously traffic changes minute by minute, so I don't get that offline, but
> streets remain the same for months if not years.

Another interesting factoid: the route chosen by my linux desktop was
different from that chosen by the Pixel2 app. I liked the one from the
computer better, so I went that way. The app kept trying to force me
back to ITS preference rather than adjust. At one point it ran me up a
steep hill and down the other side, demanded a left turn and then put me
back on the street I was on before it took me up the hill.

I can only attribute this to vindictiveness.

> Nowadays I tend to use Open Streetmaps more than Google Maps, and OSM *does*
> need online access. But that's because I prefer the level of detail on OSM
> that is missing on Google Maps.

I liked the OSMand display better, but it was REALLY battery-hungry.
CoPilot was better, but I got tired of learning new GUIs.

> I'm puzzled by the OP's reference to "trusting it to tell you about traffic
> in an intricate 20-mile route through Los Angeles/Beverly Hills on surface
> streets" - that word "traffic" makes my wonder how he expects transient
> information like traffic jams to be available offline. But for
> route-planning, ignoring traffic, offline maps should be fine.

You'd think. At one point it said it couldn't connect to the map and
just shut down. When it came back it was strange. I had it plugged
into the charger all the time I was driving...

> There are also Android apps such as Here Maps

"Here We Go" with a blue W logo?" Downloading a few maps even as we
speak...

> which have an offline mode and
> require you to download a map of a whole country in advance, but that
> (AFAIK) *never* expires, even if its info becomes "stale" when a new road
> opens or an existing road is diverted. I use it a lot as a satnav in the UK
> because mobile reception can be patchy.

Onward and upward!

--
Cheers, Bev
"No matter how cynical I get, it's just never enough to keep up."

Re: Google off-line maps expiration?

<090520211704440859%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15400&group=comp.mobile.android#15400

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 09 May 2021 17:04:44 -0400
 by: nospam - Sun, 9 May 2021 21:04 UTC

In article <s79fjd$cfq$1@dont-email.me>, NY <me@privacy.invalid> wrote:

> There are also Android apps such as Here Maps which have an offline mode and
> require you to download a map of a whole country in advance, but that
> (AFAIK) *never* expires, even if its info becomes "stale" when a new road
> opens or an existing road is diverted. I use it a lot as a satnav in the UK
> because mobile reception can be patchy.

that's the best solution for those who do not have a data plan or are
in an area where there is no service.

Re: Google off-line maps expiration?

<s79od0$toe$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15403&group=comp.mobile.android#15403

From: me...@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 9 May 2021 23:39:55 +0100
 by: NY - Sun, 9 May 2021 22:39 UTC

"The Real Bev" <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Another interesting factoid: the route chosen by my linux desktop was
> different from that chosen by the Pixel2 app. I liked the one from the
> computer better, so I went that way. The app kept trying to force me back
> to ITS preference rather than adjust. At one point it ran me up a steep
> hill and down the other side, demanded a left turn and then put me back on
> the street I was on before it took me up the hill.
>
> I can only attribute this to vindictiveness.

The satnav in our Honda (which uses Garmin) has a strange tendency to become
fixated with a route and tried to get me back onto it even when that is
longer (time and distance) than the route that we are actually taking.

A classic case is the route from the M69 to York. It wants to take me up the
M1. Fair enough except that I know this route will be slow because of a)
traffic, and b) those interminable stretches of roadworks where the subject
20 miles to a 50 limit but are only working on one small section.

So I take the A42/A1 route. It tries at every junction to get me back to the
M1. Fine to begin with. But eventually it becomes silly to backtrack to the
M1 or to take minor roads to head to an M1 junction further north. But we
have to go a long way on the A42 route - I think we got almost to Newark/A1
on one occasion - before it finally recalculates and notices that the A1
route is shorter/quicker. I've seen the ETA drop by 30-45 minutes once it
finally realises. That's being very stubborn - "I'll take you on the M1 if
it kills me" ;-)

You'd think that at every junction it will evaluate and rank the various
routes for the remaining bit of the journey.

Re: Google off-line maps expiration?

<w4dh9zsw8t2s$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15404&group=comp.mobile.android#15404

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 9 May 2021 22:43:11 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Mon, 10 May 2021 03:43 UTC

The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:

> No data plan.
>
> When I update them at home over wifi it says they're good for a year.
> BUT they seem to go haywire if you don't update within some much shorter
> period -- like a month. WTF?

https://www.androidauthority.com/google-maps-offline-android-637359/
"It’s also important to note these offline maps expire after about 15
days unless you connect to a data connection. The world changes pretty
much daily. Maps are dynamic and require updating. Google wants you to
have an updated version of your maps even when you’re offline, which is
the reason behind the time limit."

Did you configure the Maps app to automatically update (when you have a
wifi connection, like at home)? If you don't have a data plan, all you
have is auto-updating over wifi. The updates are via Internet, and you
need data or wifi for that.

Just what is "haywire"? Rather than guess what you meant to describe,
actually describe what happens. Maps have a 1-year expiration, but
Google wants to update them much sooner since roads, attractions,
locations, and other map data changes often. While you may get prompted
that an offline map is out of date, are you actually prevented from
viewing it? When you are travelling and have no wifi connection (and
because you have no data plan) which means no Internet access to update
the maps, does the Google Map not load an offline map to show you the
roads (about the only in offline maps)?

Where are you storing the maps? On internal memory (storage) or on an
SD card? Are you using any cleanup apps?

Google Maps lets you select a region to save. You zoom in/out to select
the region you want to save offline. The larger the region, the more
storage space gets consumed. Instead of selecting by some arbitrary
region, I save maps based on city, state, country, or continent using
the Here![WeGo] map app. Right now, I have all of North America
downloaded. Just as with offline maps in the Google Map, the offline
maps in Here! will be absent of stores, post offices, restaurants, and
other such data. Here! offline maps don't expire, but obviously the
longer a stored map then the more inaccurate it becomes.

> Especially annoying if you're trusting it to tell you about traffic in
> an intricate 20-mile route through Los Angeles/Beverly Hills on surface
> streets because that's just what you have to do and it takes you in a
> circle...

How could any app tell you about traffic conditions NOW when it is
offline? Are you using wifi from home when checking the app's maps?
That would only work when connected to a wifi hotspot, like at home with
a wifi cable modem. Wifi hotspots are not usable when moving, like
travelling in a car, since connection distance is too short, and you
would be disconnecting from a hotspot about as soon as you found one.
If you want to be using maps while moving, you need a data plan.

Re: Google off-line maps expiration?

<s7ai4j$hc7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15405&group=comp.mobile.android#15405

From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 9 May 2021 22:59:45 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Mon, 10 May 2021 05:59 UTC

On 05/09/2021 08:43 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
> The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> No data plan.
>>
>> When I update them at home over wifi it says they're good for a year.
>> BUT they seem to go haywire if you don't update within some much shorter
>> period -- like a month. WTF?
>
> https://www.androidauthority.com/google-maps-offline-android-637359/
> "It’s also important to note these offline maps expire after about 15
> days unless you connect to a data connection. The world changes pretty
> much daily. Maps are dynamic and require updating. Google wants you to
> have an updated version of your maps even when you’re offline, which is
> the reason behind the time limit."
>
> Did you configure the Maps app to automatically update (when you have a
> wifi connection, like at home)? If you don't have a data plan, all you
> have is auto-updating over wifi. The updates are via Internet, and you
> need data or wifi for that.
>
> Just what is "haywire"? Rather than guess what you meant to describe,
> actually describe what happens.

One shot, 3 days ago. As I recall, it showed my current location
nowhere near where I actually was and seemed to have forgotten the
actual destination.

> Maps have a 1-year expiration, but
> Google wants to update them much sooner since roads, attractions,
> locations, and other map data changes often.

Then what is the value of the 1-year "expiration" and why was I not
warned that the map needed updating -- last time I updated seemed to be
March 22 -- at least the expiration date was March 22 2022. I just set
it to auto-update. I NEVER want to do that because things always seem
to update at inconvenient times. ALWAYS.

Is there any way to see the area that a given map covers? If 'help'
explains that, I must have missed it.

> While you may get prompted
> that an offline map is out of date, are you actually prevented from
> viewing it?

No prompt. Just "haywire".

> When you are travelling and have no wifi connection (and
> because you have no data plan) which means no Internet access to update
> the maps, does the Google Map not load an offline map to show you the
> roads (about the only in offline maps)?

It had previously loaded the map when I had a wifi connection. It gave
me correct instructions for a while. And then perhaps 5 miles later it
threw its apron over its head and started crying -- or GPS equivalent.

> Where are you storing the maps? On internal memory (storage) or on an
> SD card? Are you using any cleanup apps?

Pixel2 has no external card, so yes -- internal memory. No cleanup apps
-- I used to have one on a different phone but it was a piece of crap.

> Google Maps lets you select a region to save. You zoom in/out to select
> the region you want to save offline. The larger the region, the more
> storage space gets consumed. Instead of selecting by some arbitrary
> region, I save maps based on city, state, country, or continent using
> the Here![WeGo] map app.

I've got 4 maps. Not sure about the 'local' area, but it's certainly at
least 20 miles in diameter.

> Right now, I have all of North America
> downloaded. Just as with offline maps in the Google Map, the offline
> maps in Here! will be absent of stores, post offices, restaurants, and
> other such data.

For the most part I don't care about that, although I have wanted to
know where the closest Costco with a gas station is.

> Here! offline maps don't expire, but obviously the
> longer a stored map then the more inaccurate it becomes.
>
>> Especially annoying if you're trusting it to tell you about traffic in
>> an intricate 20-mile route through Los Angeles/Beverly Hills on surface
>> streets because that's just what you have to do and it takes you in a
>> circle...
>
> How could any app tell you about traffic conditions NOW when it is
> offline? Are you using wifi from home when checking the app's maps?

Of course.

> That would only work when connected to a wifi hotspot, like at home with
> a wifi cable modem. Wifi hotspots are not usable when moving, like
> travelling in a car, since connection distance is too short, and you
> would be disconnecting from a hotspot about as soon as you found one.
> If you want to be using maps while moving, you need a data plan.

Indeed. That's why I'm mystified about the traffic-avoidance message.

The area I ski at has free wifi, but the mountains get in the way
sometimes. While I'm skiing (yes, actually moving) I get the
'connected' tone every once in a while. I don't dig my phone out so I
have no idea what can actually be done while "connected", but it happens.

--
Cheers, Bev
I've enjoyed just about as much of this as I can stand.

Re: Google off-line maps expiration?

<1rs0dyv550ipq.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15407&group=comp.mobile.android#15407

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 10 May 2021 03:23:15 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Mon, 10 May 2021 08:23 UTC

The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:

> One shot, 3 days ago. As I recall, it showed my current location
> nowhere near where I actually was and seemed to have forgotten the
> actual destination.

Do you have any other apps that show your current location using GPS?
For example, I have the GPS Status app:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.eclipsim.gpsstatus2

Besides GPS data, it shows a compass (if your phone has a magnometer).
The app can't get connects to GPS satellites when I'm in my basement at
home, in parking garages, some places in hospitals, and other locations
where the GPS radio cannot penetrate beyond barriers to reach the
satellites. Usually the compass is not pointing north. To correct, I
do the 3D figure 8 trick: rotate the phone in a figure eight while also
rotating the in the other plane (you swing the phone in a figure eight
while rotating your wrist not only sideways, but also up and down, so
the phone rates through each of its 3 axes). That recalibrates the
compass, and often lets the app connect to GPS satellites (if the
connection was merely weak before, not if blocked since your phone is
still using a radio to connect to satellites).

If GPS location isn't working, especially if way off in computing where
you are, it could be due to corrupted or inaccurate A-GPS data (Assisted
GPS data) which is GPS from satellites augmented with positional info
from cell towers (for those that carry your cellular provider). A-GPS
make GPS computation faster and more accurate. Sometimes you have to
flush this locally cached data, but need an app that will do that. The
GPS Status, and other GPS apps, can reset (flush) the locally cached
A-GPS data, and recreate the table.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assisted_GNSS

A-GPS is needed because non-military users of GPS are not granted the
same accuracy as military users. A-GPS employs positional info from
cell towers to increase GPS accuracy, along with the rate of GPS
computations, especially if you are moving, like driving in a car. I
haven't bothered to research just why the locally A-GPS data gets
corrupted, invalid, or out of date or out of sync other than finding out
it can happen. You have to flush the data to rebuild it to get accurate
positional data again. Android does not come bundled with a GPS app
that will reset the A-GPS data, so you need to get a 3rd party app.

I have the ParKing app that records where I parked my car (by triggering
on a disconnect from Bluetooth in my car, like when I turn it off when
parking). However, I noticed that sometimes it was off by as far as I
could hurl a stone, or farther, but became accurate again after
resetting the A-GPS data. ParKing was recording the GPS location of my
car when it got parked, so if the data were off then so, too, was where
the app said I parked.

"Nowhere near where I was" doesn't say how far off was the location the
app showed for you. A block away, a city away, a state away, what?
Civilian usage of GPS satellites doesn't provide accuracy better than
within 10 to 33 feet.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/tech/2018/12/16/gps-satellite-accuracy/38749583/

That's why A-GPS is needed for more accurate positioning. Cell towers
know where they are, and can provide that positional info to smartphones
provided the smartphones are configured for high accuracy to use both
GPS and mobile location data. However, you might be out of range of any
cell tower (so you cannot make any calls), but GPS is still usable, but
without the assistance of A-GPS data for better accuracy. Newer
satellites will eventually provide more accurate positioning to within
3-10 feet for civilian use, but A-GPS and mobile triangulation, where
cell towers are available, are more accurate.

In the USA, its gov't claims 4 meter RMS (7.8 meter, 95% confidence)
accuracy for civilian use of the GPS satellites. Some places get 3
meter accuracy. However, bad A-GPS data can throw that way off, and why
you occasionally have to reset the locally cached A-GPS database. The
GPS Status app gives you a choice: reset the A-GPS data (flush it) for a
cold start and rebuild the database anew, or download A-GPS data from
the Internet (don't know where they get the data).

Just to check, is the GPS radio in your smartphone enabled? Some users
have no need for GPS-capable apps, so they disable the GPS radio (which
would otherwise always be on to connect to satellites and receive GPS
data) to save on battery power; i.e., they turn off GPS to have longer
battery run time. On my LG V20 phone:

Settings -> General -> Lock screen & security -> Location -> Mode
(navigation varies on different brands and models of smartphones)

There may be choices under there, like "Use GPS satellites" which, if
disabled, blocks use of GPS on your phone (the GPS radio turns off).
Mine doesn't have that, but on a battery saving mode that only uses wifi
and mobile networks for location (no GPS data, so no GPS radio).
Currently I have it set to high accuracy: GPS + mobile networks.

Also, do you even have Location turned on? Drag down to see the status
screen, and check if the Location icon is enabled. If disabled, no app
can use location data.

> Then what is the value of the 1-year "expiration" and why was I not
> warned that the map needed updating -- last time I updated seemed to be
> March 22 -- at least the expiration date was March 22 2022. I just set
> it to auto-update. I NEVER want to do that because things always seem
> to update at inconvenient times. ALWAYS.

If the auto-update option is disabled (which is what you implied) then
you won't get any automatic updating. Since there is no auto-update
check, how would the app know there was updated map data for the region
you specified for the offline map? You said not to auto-update, it
obeyed, so it didn't check thereafter, and you won't find out there are
updates until you manually update the offline maps.

Make sure the Maps app is configured to auto-update *only* over wifi
since you have no data plan.

It has been so long (many years) since I had no Internet connection on
my phone via wifi (only usable with stationary hotspots) or cellular
data service that I cannot recall the last time the Maps app had to
resort to using the offline map. I haven't had the need to test "what
if" scenarios that I haven't encountered. That also means I cannot
assure you that voice directions are available when using an offline
map. Back when I was setting all this up years ago, my recollection is
there were no voice prompts for real-time navigation when using an
offline map, but that might've changed since then. To me, it is more
dangerous having to peer at my phone to see when the next turn or other
navigational change will come up than listening for voice prompt telling
me how to navigate. I'd rather keep my eyes on the road than looking at
a smartphone (even a large one) or head unit in a car.

> Is there any way to see the area that a given map covers? If 'help'
> explains that, I must have missed it.

The map size was dictated by you when you zoomed in/out on a map to pick
the size of the offline map. There is a limit of max region size, but
it seems more dependent on how much data the offline map would need
rather than the diameter of the circle you draw. Alas, the Maps app
will not redisplay the area you selected before to show you how big it
is for its coverage. You get to delete the offline map, or update it.
If you delete the offline map and recreate it, you pick how big is the
selection. I usually pick the city that I will travel to, or visit
often, zoom out until the rectangle starts to reduce in size
representing the max region size has been selected, center the city in
the middle of the rectangle unless I bias its position because I'll be
travelling more in one direction than others, and download that map data
(and also rename the offline map to something memorable to me rather
than a datestamp).

The only way to see how big is the region of map data to save is when
you create the offline map. When you look at the list of offline maps
and pick one, there is a preview of the saved map, but it is so small
with so little detail with no labels that you only get a very rough idea
of the size of the offline map. I save large offline maps, so the
preview is too small to show any detail. Maybe if the region was much
smaller some details would show in the map preview.

> Of course [you are using wifi at home to see traffic conditions].

Then you won't be using the offline map, because the Maps app has an
Internet connection via wi-fi. Then when you leave from home and no
longer have the wifi connection, you are using the offline map, and you
cannot get any additional map data, like traffic volume, accidents, road
work, etc. You only have the offline map when travelling, and it is
devoid of all that extra map data you want.

>> That would only work when connected to a wifi hotspot, like at home with
>> a wifi cable modem. Wifi hotspots are not usable when moving, like
>> travelling in a car, since connection distance is too short, and you
>> would be disconnecting from a hotspot about as soon as you found one.
>> If you want to be using maps while moving, you need a data plan.
>
> Indeed. That's why I'm mystified about the traffic-avoidance message.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Google off-line maps expiration?

<s7asc8$goa$1@softins.softins.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15408&group=comp.mobile.android#15408

From: ton...@mountifield.org (Tony Mountifield)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 10 May 2021 08:54:32 +0000 (UTC)
 by: Tony Mountifield - Mon, 10 May 2021 08:54 UTC

In article <090520211459239530%nospam@nospam.invalid>,
nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> In article <s791ke$sbg$1@dont-email.me>, The Real Bev
> <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > When I update them at home over wifi it says they're good for a year.
> > BUT they seem to go haywire if you don't update within some much shorter
> > period -- like a month. WTF?
>
> they expire in 15 days, at the most:
>
> <https://support.google.com/maps/answer/6291838?hl=en>
> Offline maps that you downloaded on your phone or tablet need to be
> updated before they expire. When your offline maps expire in 15 days
> or less, Google Maps will try to update the area automatically when
> you're connected to Wi-Fi.

Nope, that's not what it says. It's clumsily worded, but it is saying that
it will automatically try to update on wifi WHEN the expiry date is less
than 15 days away. i.e. during the last 15 days of the 1 year period.

Cheers
Tony
--
Tony Mountifield
Work: tony@softins.co.uk - http://www.softins.co.uk

Re: Google off-line maps expiration?

<s7asg2$goa$2@softins.softins.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15409&group=comp.mobile.android#15409

From: ton...@mountifield.org (Tony Mountifield)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 10 May 2021 08:56:34 +0000 (UTC)
 by: Tony Mountifield - Mon, 10 May 2021 08:56 UTC

In article <s79h5h$66i$1@dont-email.me>,
The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 05/09/2021 01:10 PM, NY wrote:
> > "nospam" <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote in message

> >> they expire in 15 days, at the most:
> >>
> >> <https://support.google.com/maps/answer/6291838?hl=en>
> >> Offline maps that you downloaded on your phone or tablet need to be
> >> updated before they expire. When your offline maps expire in 15 days
> >> or less, Google Maps will try to update the area automatically when
> >> you're connected to Wi-Fi.
>
> So why does it give a 1-year expiration date? Would Google actually LIE
> to us?

Nope, that's a misunderstanding of what is said. It actually means the maps
are good for 1 year, but 15 days before the 1 year is up, it will start trying
to update them automatically over wifi.

Cheers
Tony
--
Tony Mountifield
Work: tony@softins.co.uk - http://www.softins.co.uk
Play: tony@mountifield.org - http://tony.mountifield.org

Re: Google off-line maps expiration?

<s7at85$6f4$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15410&group=comp.mobile.android#15410

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (paul)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 10 May 2021 11:09:28 +0200
 by: paul - Mon, 10 May 2021 09:09 UTC

VanguardLH wrote on 10.05.2021 08:23

> Do you have any other apps that show your current location using GPS?
> For example, I have the GPS Status app:
> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.eclipsim.gpsstatus2

I've noticed in the past that many of the principal open source apps are
shamelessly copied by others who then add advertisements & purchases as an
added insult to injury.
https://play.google.com/store/search?q=satstat&c=apps

Given that long standing observation I wonder how those apps differ from
https://www.f-droid.org/en/packages/com.vonglasow.michael.satstat/

> Besides GPS data, it shows a compass (if your phone has a magnometer).

I don't see SatStat on Google Play but these are on Play & don't have ads.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.android.gpstest
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pierwiastek.gpsdataplus

With caveats this one is supposedly "by Google" (or developed "with Google")
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.location.gps.gnsslogger

And this has inapp purchases so I wouldn't recommend it unless it's better
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.chartcross.gpstest

I only use SatStat but I would recommend others always compare with the
original source apps when those open source apps are shamelessly copied on
Google Play (some even add the insult of advertisements & at cost add ons).

Re: Google off-line maps expiration?

<s7atvj$iv5$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15411&group=comp.mobile.android#15411

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (paul)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 10 May 2021 11:21:58 +0200
 by: paul - Mon, 10 May 2021 09:21 UTC

Tony Mountifield wrote on 10.05.2021 10:56

>> So why does it give a 1-year expiration date? Would Google actually LIE
>> to us?
>
> Nope, that's a misunderstanding of what is said. It actually means the maps
> are good for 1 year, but 15 days before the 1 year is up, it will start trying
> to update them automatically over wifi.

That makes much more sense given that in mature areas (which is most of the
USA nowadays) almost all of the roads are static (and have been for decades)
such that a yearly update could be considered too frequent for some people.

I always thought the 30-day monthly map cache time limit was too short.

Do they still have that monthly cache limit (or is that the year now too)?

Re: Google off-line maps expiration?

<100520210611046091%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15414&group=comp.mobile.android#15414

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 10 May 2021 06:11:04 -0400
 by: nospam - Mon, 10 May 2021 10:11 UTC

In article <1rs0dyv550ipq.dlg@v.nguard.lh>, VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH>
wrote:

> If GPS location isn't working, especially if way off in computing where
> you are, it could be due to corrupted or inaccurate A-GPS data (Assisted
> GPS data) which is GPS from satellites augmented with positional info
> from cell towers (for those that carry your cellular provider). A-GPS
> make GPS computation faster and more accurate. Sometimes you have to
> flush this locally cached data, but need an app that will do that. The
> GPS Status, and other GPS apps, can reset (flush) the locally cached
> A-GPS data, and recreate the table.

there is no need to flush data, nor is a-gps data any different than
what's obtained directly from the gps satellites.

if it's stale, it's automatically replaced, by design.

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assisted_GNSS
>
> A-GPS is needed because non-military users of GPS are not granted the
> same accuracy as military users.

false.

a-gps is needed so that the time to an initial fix is quick (seconds
versus several minutes) and everyone has had the same gps accuracy for
the past 21 years, ever since selective availability was disabled in
may, 2000.

> A-GPS employs positional info from
> cell towers to increase GPS accuracy, along with the rate of GPS
> computations, especially if you are moving, like driving in a car.

no it doesn't. it's simply to speed up the time for an initial fix.

> I haven't bothered to research just why the locally A-GPS data gets
> corrupted, invalid, or out of date or out of sync other than finding out
> it can happen. You have to flush the data to rebuild it to get accurate
> positional data again. Android does not come bundled with a GPS app
> that will reset the A-GPS data, so you need to get a 3rd party app.

there is no need to do so. if it's stale, it's replaced, either via
cell/wifi (a-gps) or directly from the gps satellites (non-a).

> I have the ParKing app that records where I parked my car (by triggering
> on a disconnect from Bluetooth in my car, like when I turn it off when
> parking). However, I noticed that sometimes it was off by as far as I
> could hurl a stone, or farther, but became accurate again after
> resetting the A-GPS data. ParKing was recording the GPS location of my
> car when it got parked, so if the data were off then so, too, was where
> the app said I parked.
>
> "Nowhere near where I was" doesn't say how far off was the location the
> app showed for you. A block away, a city away, a state away, what?
> Civilian usage of GPS satellites doesn't provide accuracy better than
> within 10 to 33 feet.

yes they can, depending on various factors.

> https://www.detroitnews.com/story/tech/2018/12/16/gps-satellite-accuracy/38749
> 583/

> That's why A-GPS is needed for more accurate positioning.

nope. that's not why.

a-gps simply speeds up the time to get an initial fix.

> Cell towers
> know where they are, and can provide that positional info to smartphones
> provided the smartphones are configured for high accuracy to use both
> GPS and mobile location data. However, you might be out of range of any
> cell tower (so you cannot make any calls), but GPS is still usable, but
> without the assistance of A-GPS data for better accuracy. Newer
> satellites will eventually provide more accurate positioning to within
> 3-10 feet for civilian use, but A-GPS and mobile triangulation, where
> cell towers are available, are more accurate.

cell towers can be used for a rough location, which in some cases is
sufficient (e.g., weather conditions), and avoid enabling the gps radio
to conserve battery.

a-gps has no effect on accuracy.

> In the USA, its gov't claims 4 meter RMS (7.8 meter, 95% confidence)
> accuracy for civilian use of the GPS satellites. Some places get 3
> meter accuracy. However, bad A-GPS data can throw that way off, and why
> you occasionally have to reset the locally cached A-GPS database.

nope. if it's stale, it's discarded.

> The
> GPS Status app gives you a choice: reset the A-GPS data (flush it) for a
> cold start and rebuild the database anew, or download A-GPS data from
> the Internet (don't know where they get the data).

they get it from the gps satellites.

> Just to check, is the GPS radio in your smartphone enabled? Some users
> have no need for GPS-capable apps, so they disable the GPS radio (which
> would otherwise always be on to connect to satellites and receive GPS
> data) to save on battery power; i.e., they turn off GPS to have longer
> battery run time. On my LG V20 phone:

apps can turn on gps as needed.

> >> That would only work when connected to a wifi hotspot, like at home with
> >> a wifi cable modem. Wifi hotspots are not usable when moving, like
> >> travelling in a car, since connection distance is too short, and you
> >> would be disconnecting from a hotspot about as soon as you found one.
> >> If you want to be using maps while moving, you need a data plan.
> >
> > Indeed. That's why I'm mystified about the traffic-avoidance message.
>
> Google acquired Waze, and Waze had that feature. When you download an
> offline map, maybe it has some traffic data, but it will be outdated the
> moment you disconnect from your wifi home connect and go travelling.

waze did not have that feature because such a feature makes no sense.

Re: Google off-line maps expiration?

<s7b7u6$9ra$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15416&group=comp.mobile.android#15416

From: me...@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 10 May 2021 13:11:34 +0100
 by: NY - Mon, 10 May 2021 12:11 UTC

> a-gps is needed so that the time to an initial fix is quick (seconds
> versus several minutes) and everyone has had the same gps accuracy for
> the past 21 years, ever since selective availability was disabled in
> may, 2000.

Is it true that everyone has the same GPS accuracy? The best accuracy that
my phone reports is about 5 m (ie the location is somewhere within a circle
of radius 5 m), but I've heard of specialist devices used in surveying etc
which achieve accuracy to with a radius of less than 1 cm. Is that
differential GPS, where the extra precision comes by measuring the offset
from a fixed ground-based station whose location is known accurately.

A-GPS is great as a way of avoiding the long delay to update a stale
almanac/ephemeris - eg when first calling for a location fix after the
device has been moved since the last time GPS was on. I discovered something
interesting when I was on a cruise ship. I didn't have a data plan to use
the ship's wifi: you can connect but web and POP/SMTP access is blocked. But
they don't block the A-GPS traffic ;-) So my "GPS Status" app can still
download the almanac. In port (or near land) the mobile internet would
supply it, but I wasn't hopeful of it working over wifi when I wasn't
prepared to pay the extortionate fees for the very slow wifi (the wifi is
fast enough, but the backhaul by satellite is painfully, almost unusably
slow.

As regards Google Maps going out of date... I've just opened the Maps app,
clicked on the icon representing my Google account and then Offline Maps. It
lists various maps that I downloaded a couple of years ago, and they have
various expiry dates of the form "Expires 7 May 2022 unless updated". Given
today's date of 10 May 2021, that suggests that maps continuously update
every few days, so as always to give you 1 year of usage from the date of
last update. No mention of the 15 days. And if this shorter time is in fact
enforced, then it is *very* misleading quoting an expiry date of 1 year from
now.

Re: Google off-line maps expiration?

<100520210824376880%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15417&group=comp.mobile.android#15417

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 10 May 2021 08:24:37 -0400
 by: nospam - Mon, 10 May 2021 12:24 UTC

In article <s7b7u6$9ra$1@dont-email.me>, NY <me@privacy.invalid> wrote:

> Is it true that everyone has the same GPS accuracy?

if they all had the same device, yes, but they don't.

dedicated gps devices are generally more accurate than phones, for
example.

Re: Google off-line maps expiration?

<s7b8pv$gdb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15418&group=comp.mobile.android#15418

From: me...@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 10 May 2021 13:26:20 +0100
 by: NY - Mon, 10 May 2021 12:26 UTC

"paul" <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
> Tony Mountifield wrote on 10.05.2021 10:56
>
>>> So why does it give a 1-year expiration date? Would Google actually LIE
>>> to us?
>>
>> Nope, that's a misunderstanding of what is said. It actually means the
>> maps
>> are good for 1 year, but 15 days before the 1 year is up, it will start
>> trying
>> to update them automatically over wifi.
>
> That makes much more sense given that in mature areas (which is most of
> the
> USA nowadays) almost all of the roads are static (and have been for
> decades)
> such that a yearly update could be considered too frequent for some
> people.

It's a shame that satnav manufacturers' maps are updated so infrequently. A
new bypass road opened near where we used to live, but the satnav didn't
know about it. This wasn't a problem except that when my wife was coming
home from work, the display of ETA and distance to destination was wrong by
about 15 minutes or 10 miles, because it tried to take a completely
different route to avoid the town centre that the bypass bypassed. This was
about 2 years after the road had opened. Over the painfully slow ADSL (*)
that we had at that house, I downloaded the 4 GB Garmin map database - only
to find at the end that although the map I'd now got had a more recent
version number and fairly recent revision date, this road *still* hadn't
appeared (**). It finally made it 4 years after the road was opened, when I
did another update just before the expiry of the Garmin update subscription
that came with the car.

In contrast, the maps that Here Maps use, and the pictorial BMP overlay of
Ordnance Survey maps that Viewranger uses, were both updated (when I
manually downloaded them) within a very short time.

(*) About 200 kbps, compared with the 8 Mbps that ADSL is capable of in
ideal conditions - because the house was a long way from the exchange and
was too sparsely populated for VDSL (fibre to the cabinet) to be
costs-effective for BT Openreach to install. It was my parents' holiday
cottage where we were living for the 18 months between selling our old house
and finding and moving into a new one - so tolerable for a short time ;-)

(**) I tend to assume that if a revision date (eg a year before today's
date) is quoted, the database will include all roads known about at that
date. Not true :-(

Re: Google off-line maps expiration?

<s7bo2q$a0k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15421&group=comp.mobile.android#15421

From: noem...@none.com (AJL)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 10 May 2021 09:47:20 -0700
 by: AJL - Mon, 10 May 2021 16:47 UTC

paul wrote:
> Tony Mountifield wrote on 10.05.2021 10:56
>
>>> So why does it give a 1-year expiration date? Would Google
>>> actually LIE to us?
>>
>> Nope, that's a misunderstanding of what is said. It actually means
>> the maps are good for 1 year, but 15 days before the 1 year is up,
>> it will start trying to update them automatically over wifi.
>
> That makes much more sense given that in mature areas (which is most
> of the USA nowadays)

Amazon is now invading my area and the new employees need houses. So
there are many new housing developments (and roads) being built here.

> almost all of the roads are static (and have been for decades) such
> that a yearly update could be considered too frequent for some
> people.

A grandaughter bought one of those new houses recently (Yup, hubby works
for Amazon) and I went to see it about a month ago. Google showed
nothing but open fields but fortunately there was an iPhone in the car
and it took me right there.

I went back yesterday and the the Google map was now up to date. But
Street View still showed open dirt fields...

Re: Google off-line maps expiration?

<s7bpe3$kku$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15422&group=comp.mobile.android#15422

From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 10 May 2021 10:10:26 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Mon, 10 May 2021 17:10 UTC

On 05/10/2021 01:23 AM, VanguardLH wrote:
> The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> One shot, 3 days ago. As I recall, it showed my current location
>> nowhere near where I actually was and seemed to have forgotten the
>> actual destination.
>
> Do you have any other apps that show your current location using GPS?
> For example, I have the GPS Status app:

A number of them. My favorite .gpx-file-saving one is Ski Tracks. It
tries to force any trip into a ski-run matrix, but the .gpx file it
generates can be fed into google earth.

> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.eclipsim.gpsstatus2
>
> Besides GPS data, it shows a compass (if your phone has a magnometer).
> The app can't get connects to GPS satellites when I'm in my basement at
> home, in parking garages, some places in hospitals, and other locations
> where the GPS radio cannot penetrate beyond barriers to reach the
> satellites. Usually the compass is not pointing north.

Yeah I have that one. The not-north thing is annoying.

> To correct, I
> do the 3D figure 8 trick: rotate the phone in a figure eight while also
> rotating the in the other plane (you swing the phone in a figure eight
> while rotating your wrist not only sideways, but also up and down, so
> the phone rates through each of its 3 axes). That recalibrates the
> compass, and often lets the app connect to GPS satellites (if the
> connection was merely weak before, not if blocked since your phone is
> still using a radio to connect to satellites).

What, RF?

> If GPS location isn't working, especially if way off in computing where
> you are, it could be due to corrupted or inaccurate A-GPS data (Assisted
> GPS data) which is GPS from satellites augmented with positional info
> from cell towers (for those that carry your cellular provider). A-GPS
> make GPS computation faster and more accurate. Sometimes you have to
> flush this locally cached data, but need an app that will do that. The
> GPS Status, and other GPS apps, can reset (flush) the locally cached
> A-GPS data, and recreate the table.

In the recent situation, it guided me properly from home to destination.
After I told it to go home it behaved properly for perhaps five miles
and then lost its mind :-(

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assisted_GNSS
>
> A-GPS is needed because non-military users of GPS are not granted the
> same accuracy as military users. A-GPS employs positional info from
> cell towers to increase GPS accuracy, along with the rate of GPS
> computations, especially if you are moving, like driving in a car. I
> haven't bothered to research just why the locally A-GPS data gets
> corrupted, invalid, or out of date or out of sync other than finding out
> it can happen. You have to flush the data to rebuild it to get accurate
> positional data again. Android does not come bundled with a GPS app
> that will reset the A-GPS data, so you need to get a 3rd party app.
>
> I have the ParKing app that records where I parked my car (by triggering
> on a disconnect from Bluetooth in my car, like when I turn it off when
> parking). However, I noticed that sometimes it was off by as far as I
> could hurl a stone, or farther, but became accurate again after
> resetting the A-GPS data. ParKing was recording the GPS location of my
> car when it got parked, so if the data were off then so, too, was where
> the app said I parked.

I thought that

> "Nowhere near where I was" doesn't say how far off was the location the
> app showed for you. A block away, a city away, a state away, what?

Miles.

> Civilian usage of GPS satellites doesn't provide accuracy better than
> within 10 to 33 feet.

When I worked at Magellan in 1990 SA was operating. You could buy two
units ($2K each) and somehow gang them together to get 2-foot accuracy.
I can't remember what the accuracy was supposed to be then when SA was
off.

> https://www.detroitnews.com/story/tech/2018/12/16/gps-satellite-accuracy/38749583/
>
> That's why A-GPS is needed for more accurate positioning. Cell towers
> know where they are, and can provide that positional info to smartphones
> provided the smartphones are configured for high accuracy to use both
> GPS and mobile location data. However, you might be out of range of any
> cell tower (so you cannot make any calls), but GPS is still usable, but
> without the assistance of A-GPS data for better accuracy. Newer
> satellites will eventually provide more accurate positioning to within
> 3-10 feet for civilian use, but A-GPS and mobile triangulation, where
> cell towers are available, are more accurate.
>
> In the USA, its gov't claims 4 meter RMS (7.8 meter, 95% confidence)
> accuracy for civilian use of the GPS satellites. Some places get 3
> meter accuracy. However, bad A-GPS data can throw that way off, and why
> you occasionally have to reset the locally cached A-GPS database. The
> GPS Status app gives you a choice: reset the A-GPS data (flush it) for a
> cold start and rebuild the database anew, or download A-GPS data from
> the Internet (don't know where they get the data).
>
> Just to check, is the GPS radio in your smartphone enabled? Some users
> have no need for GPS-capable apps, so they disable the GPS radio (which
> would otherwise always be on to connect to satellites and receive GPS
> data) to save on battery power; i.e., they turn off GPS to have longer
> battery run time. On my LG V20 phone:
>
> Settings -> General -> Lock screen & security -> Location -> Mode
> (navigation varies on different brands and models of smartphones)
>
> There may be choices under there, like "Use GPS satellites" which, if
> disabled, blocks use of GPS on your phone (the GPS radio turns off).
> Mine doesn't have that, but on a battery saving mode that only uses wifi
> and mobile networks for location (no GPS data, so no GPS radio).
> Currently I have it set to high accuracy: GPS + mobile networks.

The Pixel2 says it may use various sources of location info but doesn't
allow choices. I guess it knows what's best for me. Like my mom.

> Also, do you even have Location turned on? Drag down to see the status
> screen, and check if the Location icon is enabled. If disabled, no app
> can use location data.

I'm going to pretend that you didn't ask that :-) Granted, "Is it
plugged in?" is a common solution to problems, but still...

>> Then what is the value of the 1-year "expiration" and why was I not
>> warned that the map needed updating -- last time I updated seemed to be
>> March 22 -- at least the expiration date was March 22 2022. I just set
>> it to auto-update. I NEVER want to do that because things always seem
>> to update at inconvenient times. ALWAYS.
>
> If the auto-update option is disabled (which is what you implied) then

It was. I just enabled it. We'll see what happens now.

> you won't get any automatic updating. Since there is no auto-update
> check, how would the app know there was updated map data for the region
> you specified for the offline map?

It just said "auto-update", not "check for new maps". I'm generally
willing to check for new stuff, provided I can download it and install
it at MY convenience.

> You said not to auto-update, it
> obeyed, so it didn't check thereafter, and you won't find out there are
> updates until you manually update the offline maps.
>
> Make sure the Maps app is configured to auto-update *only* over wifi
> since you have no data plan.

Yes.

> It has been so long (many years) since I had no Internet connection on
> my phone via wifi (only usable with stationary hotspots) or cellular
> data service that I cannot recall the last time the Maps app had to
> resort to using the offline map.

I have a dirtbag $10/year T-Mobile plan which no longer exists. This
gives me ~30 new minutes/year and rolls over all unused minutes. Given
my rare phone usage this plan is perfect for me. Until they killed it,
I had a Freedompop SIM which gave me 20 MB/month of free data, which I
pretty much never needed to use. They've burned me three times so far.
Not going for a fourth.

> I haven't had the need to test "what
> if" scenarios that I haven't encountered. That also means I cannot
> assure you that voice directions are available when using an offline
> map. Back when I was setting all this up years ago, my recollection is
> there were no voice prompts for real-time navigation when using an
> offline map, but that might've changed since then.

Nope, there's voice direction. She used to say "Recalculating" in a
slightly petulant voice, but now she just gives a new instruction.

> To me, it is more
> dangerous having to peer at my phone to see when the next turn or other
> navigational change will come up than listening for voice prompt telling
> me how to navigate. I'd rather keep my eyes on the road than looking at
> a smartphone (even a large one) or head unit in a car.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Google off-line maps expiration?

<ift9b6Fak9U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15424&group=comp.mobile.android#15424

From: ken...@invalidemail.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 10 May 2021 10:37:38 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Mon, 10 May 2021 17:37 UTC

On 5/10/2021 10:10 AM, The Real Bev wrote:

> I have a dirtbag $10/year T-Mobile plan which no longer exists. This
> gives me ~30 new minutes/year and rolls over all unused minutes.

That's what I used to have and my wife still has. It no longer exists
for new customers, but it's grandfathered in for existing customers who
use it.

I now use a smart phone with very inexpensive service from Mint. I've
several times offered to get my wife a smart phone and smart phone data
service, but she always turns me down.

--
Ken

Re: Google off-line maps expiration?

<s7c4gg.cbo.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15425&group=comp.mobile.android#15425

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: 10 May 2021 18:28:32 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Mon, 10 May 2021 18:28 UTC

NY <me@privacy.invalid> wrote:
[...]

> Nowadays I tend to use Open Streetmaps more than Google Maps, and OSM *does*
> need online access. But that's because I prefer the level of detail on OSM
> that is missing on Google Maps.

You're probably aware of that, but just in case you're not:

There are several Android navigation apps which use OSM (Open
Streetmaps) maps in *offline* mode (with full detail).

I prefer OSMAnd+ [1] but there are several others. Just search the
Play Store or the Google Play website on 'OSM' or/and 'OpenStreetMap'.

We need detailed offline maps because - when things were/will_be
normal - we travel in rural/Outback/remote areas of Australia where
there is no mobile coverage and where we travel on back-roads/unsealed
roads, which often are not on the Google Maps maps.

Hope this helps.

[...]

[1] 'OsmAnd+ Offline Maps, Travel & Navigation'
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.osmand.plus>

Free version: Full functionality, but limited downloads:
'OsmAnd Offline Maps, Travel & Navigation'
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.osmand>

Re: Google off-line maps expiration?

<s7c50g.cbo.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15426&group=comp.mobile.android#15426

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: 10 May 2021 18:28:32 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Mon, 10 May 2021 18:28 UTC

Ken Blake <ken@invalidemail.com> wrote:
[...]

> I now use a smart phone with very inexpensive service from Mint. I've
> several times offered to get my wife a smart phone and smart phone data
> service, but she always turns me down.

So you don't only have a smartphone, but also a smartwife! :-)

But seriously, I got my wife a smartphone, about seven years after I
got my first. So there's hope - or dispair? :-) - for you yet!

Re: Google off-line maps expiration?

<s7c39d$5ka$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15430&group=comp.mobile.android#15430

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (paul)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 10 May 2021 21:58:42 +0200
 by: paul - Mon, 10 May 2021 19:58 UTC

nospam wrote on 09.05.2021 23:04

> that's the best solution for those who do not have a data plan or are
> in an area where there is no service.

Below is a plan for accurate routing & timely traffic using little data
(and providing as much privacy and offline routing capability as possible).

Nowadays in the US the main carriers provide all you can eat service
(unlimited calls, texting, and data) but in the days when I had to limit my
data use I had a trick that works well while traveling by auto in the USA
(which also worked for when traveling in areas with spotty coverage).

Basic assumptions
1...You need traffic (usually from Google but you can get it elsewhere)
2...You need accurate address lookup (usually Google's is the best)
3...Once you have traffic & address lookup - you don't need Google routing
4...You also always want privacy (if possible)

The trick is to think about what you need that must come from the Internet.
A... Once you have accurate address lookup almost any routing map will do
B... Once you have accurate traffic lookup it usually doesn't change fast
(it could - but it usually doesn't - at least in your immediate area)

To get all four things using the least amount of data - a web page link to a
maps.google.com of your vicinity provides that with almost no data use.
1. You get real time traffic (which doesn't change all that quickly)
2. You get accurate address lookup (easily copied as GPS coordinates)
3. You get to use offline routing in almost any map (that accepts waypoints)
4. You get privacy in that Google only knows what the web page figured out

Before anyone goes bonkers on me for suggesting this method to limit both
the amount of data used and to limit what Google knows about your travel,
bear in mind this plan of attack was designed to limit data use to the
minimum and still get accurate address lookup & accurate real time traffic.

Nowadays with excellent coverage coupled with unlimited data plans using
this method of offline map routing with real time traffic and accurate
address lookup isn't as necessary anymore - because cellular coverage is
better than it was and your need to limit your data use has disappeared.

But it still provides more privacy than does using Google Maps fulltime
particularly becuase you don't need any account on the Google servers
(so they can't save directly your actions into an account of your name).

(I must add though that Google routing is the best of all - bar none.)

Re: Google off-line maps expiration?

<r9qpv3e7erv5$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15431&group=comp.mobile.android#15431

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 10 May 2021 15:10:48 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Mon, 10 May 2021 20:10 UTC

The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm going to pretend that you didn't ask that [to check if Location
> was enabled].

It's software, so strange things happen sometimes. I turned on Airplane
mode when I was at the doctor's office, and then turned it off when
leaving. A few days later, I noticed the Location icon in the status
screen was greyed out. I had to tap it to reenable the Location
feature. Until I actually *checked*, I didn't know Location was off.

> What, RF [for GPS]?

Yep, you have 3 radios in your phone: cellular, wifi, and GPS.

> The Pixel2 says it may use various sources of location info but doesn't
> allow choices.

From searching online, one fix for GPS is to turn it off, wait 5
seconds, and turn it back on. Settings -> Location, toggle the Location
switch to disable GPS, wait 5 seconds, re-enable it.

I already mentioned resetting the locally cached A-GPS database.

> The Garmin with lifetime traffic is very good about telling me about
> traffic jams after I'm in one. It's done really weird stuff too, some
> of it actually dangerous. Like telling me REPEATEDLY to make a left
> turn off a mountain road. OFF a mountain road. It also told me to get
> out of the diamond lane, cross three lanes of traffic to an off-ramp,
> but then quickly go straight on the freeway I was already on.

I had Google Maps give me directions to a library. As I approached a
4-way intersection, it told me to turn left which I did. While making
the left turn, it told me to make a U-turn. So, why didn't it tell me
to take a right-turn in the first place. Directions from homw are
always screwed up despite I've reported the issue several times. Going
anywhere westward from home has Maps tell me to go south on a street,
turn to go a couple blocks west, hit a highway, and go north. Instead I
go north on that street, turn left to go westward, and catch the
highway. That lets me skip the stoplights at that intersection. Going
south hits the stoplight. Going north lets me make a right turn on red.
I've had Maps tell me a business was on one side of the road when in
fact it was many blocks further on the other side of the road.

The map apps are far from fallible. Worse are those that rely on
OpenStreets where users send updates ... any user. You get places and
roads reported by users. If there are no users in an area that are
willing to send periodic updates, an area gets stagnant with outdated
map data.

> Indeed. Still doesn't explain how I got the 'rerouting' message.

In the Maps app? I've had that happen when I use a different route than
what the app's directions say to use. I gave an example where the Maps
app told me to go south and west to get onto the highway, but I go north
and west so I can skip those stoplights with a right turn on red. Once
I start northward, the app does its auto-correct thing to recompute a
new routing path.

Re: Google off-line maps expiration?

<s7c67a$n1b$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15432&group=comp.mobile.android#15432

From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 10 May 2021 13:48:41 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Mon, 10 May 2021 20:48 UTC

On 05/10/2021 10:37 AM, Ken Blake wrote:
> On 5/10/2021 10:10 AM, The Real Bev wrote:
>
>> I have a dirtbag $10/year T-Mobile plan which no longer exists. This
>> gives me ~30 new minutes/year and rolls over all unused minutes.
>
> That's what I used to have and my wife still has. It no longer exists
> for new customers, but it's grandfathered in for existing customers who
> use it.
>
> I now use a smart phone with very inexpensive service from Mint. I've
> several times offered to get my wife a smart phone and smart phone data
> service, but she always turns me down.

Big difference between $10/year and $15/month for service I rarely need.
I can see her point about the plan, but not about the phone. Except
for its heavy battery usage, my little pocket computer/camera is perfect.

--
Cheers, Bev
"By the time they had diminished from 50 to 8, the other

computers / comp.mobile.android / Google off-line maps expiration?