From: jbee...@invalid.net.invalid (Joy Beeson)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.misc
Subject: Today's ride
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2022 22:07:33 -0500
 by: Joy Beeson - Sun, 27 Feb 2022 03:07 UTC

Sunday, 20 February 2022

"Today" must have been last Tuesday. I've been a bit busy this week.

When making my tea, I decided to go traditional and use molasses and
vinegar brine instead of honey and citrus juice.

"Switchel" originally meant water sweetened with molasses, then
vinegar was added to make it taste better, then other complications
were added as the drink spread to other cultures and cooks got bored.

Perhaps it was because switchel is a hot-weather drink and it was
freezing cold out there, but I concluded that I don't like molasses in
my tea.

This was partly because I used vineager brine left over from making
sour pickles, and I couldn't make the drink sour enough without
putting in too much salt. A half teaspoon of ascorbic acid and a
squirt of bottled lemon juice didn't help much. When I put ascorbic
acid in, I should use a whole teaspoon, the way it says on the
package. A teaspoon in a serving ordinarily makes a drink too sour,
but boiled-bitter tea requires strong measures.

By the way, a packet of seasonings that I didn't put into the corned
beef (I prefer whole spices that don't grit up the broth) seasons up
tea nicely when boiled with the leaves. I've been using home-dried
oregano of late.

It was a quick trip downtown to buy six yards of quilt lining, which
is as close to sheeting as one can buy these days.

On the way out, I took a lap around the comic-book shop and stopped at
Carneceria San Jose` -- I'm pretty sure that "carneceria" means
"butcher shop", but I can't buy meat there because I don't speak
Spanish, but they have a full (if small) grocery and a lunch counter.
I also can't eat at the lunch counter because I can't read the menu,
but I frequently buy canned goods and produce -- no produce today on
account of the valve freezing in my water bottle -- and they sell
wonderful peanuts in the shell over in the dry-bean department.

Stopped at Dollar General on the way back, but didn't see anything
interesting.

Thence to Kroger, where I spent an hour and filled up my other
pannier, but forgot the coffee creamer I'd come in for.

Somewhere along the way, I noted one of the "[bicycle logo] MAY USE
ENTIRE LANE" signs, an made a note that I must write a post about
"may" is not "must".

A shocking number of people, including our beloved mayor, believe that
bicycles ride by different rules than all the other vehicles on the
road. He hasn't come out in favor of riding south in the northbound
lane yet, but he's a firm believer in putting straight-through lanes
to the right of right-turn lanes.

I chickened out of yesterday's Saturday ride because Boy's City Drive
was white, and I wanted to *finally* start making up the sheets I
bought on Tuesday. Got two edges pressed and one edge pinned; there
were lots of distractions. Including shovelling through a drift that
had closed off the walk I'd shoveled after the snowstorm. The drift
wasn't very wide, and the rest of the walk had been blown clean to the
layer of ice left by the rain the storm had begun with. Then I
emptied the cat box of corncobs onto the frozen puddle in front of the
outdoor fireplace. Covered surprisingly little area. (I've also been
throwing peanut shells around.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at centurylink dot net

Note: My Web-page updating computer died at the beginning of
February, and we are still trying to figure out what to do about it. I
have managed to load the February Banner into DOSBOX, and will
probably be able to mail it on time. I may even be able to learn how
to make Filezilla upload it to the Web so that I can validate it.

If I can assemble a few contiguous minutes to work on it.

I really, really hope that the new system can run WS-FTP; using
Filezilla to upload a single file is like planting tulips with a
backhoe.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at centurylink dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/

Re: Today's ride

<sveuck$njc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=155&group=rec.bicycles.misc#155

From: wNOSP...@gmail.org (pH)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.misc
Subject: Re: Today's ride
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2022 04:23:49 -0000 (UTC)
 by: pH - Sun, 27 Feb 2022 04:23 UTC

On 2022-02-27, Joy Beeson <jbeeson@invalid.net.invalid> wrote:

> Sunday, 20 February 2022
>

> "Today" must have been last Tuesday. I've been a bit busy this week.
>
> When making my tea, I decided to go traditional and use molasses and
> vinegar brine instead of honey and citrus juice.
>
> "Switchel" originally meant water sweetened with molasses, then
> vinegar was added to make it taste better, then other complications
> were added as the drink spread to other cultures and cooks got bored.
>
> Perhaps it was because switchel is a hot-weather drink and it was
> freezing cold out there, but I concluded that I don't like molasses in
> my tea.
>
> This was partly because I used vineager brine left over from making
> sour pickles, and I couldn't make the drink sour enough without
> putting in too much salt. A half teaspoon of ascorbic acid and a
> squirt of bottled lemon juice didn't help much. When I put ascorbic
> acid in, I should use a whole teaspoon, the way it says on the
> package. A teaspoon in a serving ordinarily makes a drink too sour,
> but boiled-bitter tea requires strong measures.

Of late I have been using date syrup or agave syrup which is found at the
local Grocery Outlet chain of stores.
Don't know if you have that near you.

It's a chain that sells "factory seconds". So if you like what you find,
buy all you can, it may not be there next time!

> By the way, a packet of seasonings that I didn't put into the corned
> beef (I prefer whole spices that don't grit up the broth) seasons up
> tea nicely when boiled with the leaves. I've been using home-dried
> oregano of late.
>
> It was a quick trip downtown to buy six yards of quilt lining, which
> is as close to sheeting as one can buy these days.
>
> On the way out, I took a lap around the comic-book shop and stopped at
> Carneceria San Jose` -- I'm pretty sure that "carneceria" means
> "butcher shop", but I can't buy meat there because I don't speak
> Spanish, but they have a full (if small) grocery and a lunch counter.
> I also can't eat at the lunch counter because I can't read the menu,
> but I frequently buy canned goods and produce -- no produce today on
> account of the valve freezing in my water bottle -- and they sell
> wonderful peanuts in the shell over in the dry-bean department.

Gee, are you sure you're not in California? There's butcher shop near here
that caters to the Mexican clientele, I can ususally do fine by pointing at
what I want and they all speak english besides...good quality meats there.

> Stopped at Dollar General on the way back, but didn't see anything
> interesting.
>
> Thence to Kroger, where I spent an hour and filled up my other
> pannier, but forgot the coffee creamer I'd come in for.
>
> Somewhere along the way, I noted one of the "[bicycle logo] MAY USE
> ENTIRE LANE" signs, an made a note that I must write a post about
> "may" is not "must".
>
> A shocking number of people, including our beloved mayor, believe that
> bicycles ride by different rules than all the other vehicles on the
> road. He hasn't come out in favor of riding south in the northbound
> lane yet, but he's a firm believer in putting straight-through lanes
> to the right of right-turn lanes.
>
> I chickened out of yesterday's Saturday ride because Boy's City Drive
> was white, and I wanted to *finally* start making up the sheets I
> bought on Tuesday. Got two edges pressed and one edge pinned; there
> were lots of distractions. Including shovelling through a drift that
> had closed off the walk I'd shoveled after the snowstorm. The drift
> wasn't very wide, and the rest of the walk had been blown clean to the
> layer of ice left by the rain the storm had begun with. Then I
> emptied the cat box of corncobs onto the frozen puddle in front of the
> outdoor fireplace. Covered surprisingly little area. (I've also been
> throwing peanut shells around.

Glad there's no snow here...thanks for the great ride report.

pH

> --
> Joy Beeson
> joy beeson at centurylink dot net
> http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/
>
> Note: My Web-page updating computer died at the beginning of
> February, and we are still trying to figure out what to do about it. I
> have managed to load the February Banner into DOSBOX, and will
> probably be able to mail it on time. I may even be able to learn how
> to make Filezilla upload it to the Web so that I can validate it.
>
> If I can assemble a few contiguous minutes to work on it.
>
> I really, really hope that the new system can run WS-FTP; using
> Filezilla to upload a single file is like planting tulips with a
> backhoe.

Re: Today's ride

<svf2jj$n3d$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=156&group=rec.bicycles.misc#156

From: ema...@example.com (meff)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.misc
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2022 05:35:47 -0000 (UTC)
 by: meff - Sun, 27 Feb 2022 05:35 UTC

On 2022-02-27, Joy Beeson <jbeeson@invalid.net.invalid> wrote:
> Somewhere along the way, I noted one of the "[bicycle logo] MAY USE
> ENTIRE LANE" signs, an made a note that I must write a post about
> "may" is not "must".
>
> A shocking number of people, including our beloved mayor, believe that
> bicycles ride by different rules than all the other vehicles on the
> road.

Given that most automobiles have a top speed in the 100+ miles per
hour, have 4 wheels, and can have people hold a drink in one hand
while driving, I would think that bicycles are different than
automobiles and should be judged differently. The fact that they
aren't is a testament to our disregard for the climate and our ability
to roll over the moment Detroit tells us to. (Good thing Detroit is
broken now, maybe we'll learn to ride a bus before gas gets to $20/gal.)

Re: Today's ride

<ap7m1hd7ne3b8v2jtfoe3el97uto08dh4v@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=157&group=rec.bicycles.misc#157

From: slocom...@gmail.com (John B.)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.misc
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2022 13:59:40 +0700
 by: John B. - Sun, 27 Feb 2022 06:59 UTC

On Sun, 27 Feb 2022 05:35:47 -0000 (UTC), meff <email@example.com>
wrote:

>On 2022-02-27, Joy Beeson <jbeeson@invalid.net.invalid> wrote:
>> Somewhere along the way, I noted one of the "[bicycle logo] MAY USE
>> ENTIRE LANE" signs, an made a note that I must write a post about
>> "may" is not "must".
>>
>> A shocking number of people, including our beloved mayor, believe that
>> bicycles ride by different rules than all the other vehicles on the
>> road.
>
>Given that most automobiles have a top speed in the 100+ miles per
>hour, have 4 wheels, and can have people hold a drink in one hand
>while driving, I would think that bicycles are different than
>automobiles and should be judged differently. The fact that they
>aren't is a testament to our disregard for the climate and our ability
>to roll over the moment Detroit tells us to. (Good thing Detroit is
>broken now, maybe we'll learn to ride a bus before gas gets to $20/gal.)

Well... I've lived in a number of foreign countries and so far, I
haven't seen one that makes any different or special accommodation for
bicycles... NO, take that back, Singapore, recently ordered bicycles
to travel on pedestrian sidewalks provoking, I've read, a rather large
outcry from the pedestrians about them "damned bicycles" on our
walkway. (:-)

--
Cheers,

John B.

Re: Today's ride

<3a5r1h53k6v6t8adllvcgcfqsqslob9v99@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=158&group=rec.bicycles.misc#158

From: jbee...@invalid.net.invalid (Joy Beeson)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.misc
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2022 22:42:43 -0500
 by: Joy Beeson - Tue, 1 Mar 2022 03:42 UTC

On Sun, 27 Feb 2022 04:23:49 -0000 (UTC), pH <wNOSPAMp@gmail.org>
wrote:

> Of late I have been using date syrup or agave syrup which is found at the
> local Grocery Outlet chain of stores.
> Don't know if you have that near you.
>
> It's a chain that sells "factory seconds". So if you like what you find,
> buy all you can, it may not be there next time!

Sherman & Lin's sold whatever other stores had left over, and there
was a large display of Red Gold factory seconds at the back of the
store during their going-out-of-business sale. I still have rather a
lot of canned tomatoes.

I think I saw some of the stuff I passed over at the sale in the
free-grocery aisle of Our Father's House, a charity second-hand shop
in nearby Lake View Plaza.

I used to find all kinds of interesting stuff at Sherman & Lin's, and
was upset when the supply line broke and they had to go out of
business. I wasn't as upset as the people in the housing development
between the store and the lake; being able to walk to the store had
been so convenient!

They had a small cooler of perishable staples, presumably bought
retail; I never thought to compare the prices since I didn't need that
service.

Aunt Millie's Outlet had interesting breads until the supply lines
broke. One day I was passing by on my way back from Indiana
Restaurant Supply and saw a bunch of trucks parked around it, so I
climbed up to the parking lot and peeked in the window. The front
part was furnished as an office. The trucks suggest that the back
room is being used as a warehouse or distribution center.

********

I'm pretty sure that I've seen agave syrup at Kroger. Meijer also has
an aisle of exotic foods.

I should check for sweeteners the next time I'm in the carneceria.
They have cone-shaped loaves of brown sugar and many kinds of wierd
candy.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at centurylink dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/

Re: Today's ride

<008d3396-9524-49db-8e9a-4b0bc99af710n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=159&group=rec.bicycles.misc#159

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.misc
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2022 08:27:52 -0800 (PST)
From: luodean...@gmail.com (Antti Luode)
 by: Antti Luode - Wed, 2 Mar 2022 16:27 UTC

On Tuesday, March 1, 2022 at 5:42:48 AM UTC+2, Joy Beeson wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Feb 2022 04:23:49 -0000 (UTC), pH <wNOS...@gmail.org>
> wrote:
> > Of late I have been using date syrup or agave syrup which is found at the
> > local Grocery Outlet chain of stores.
> > Don't know if you have that near you.
> >
> > It's a chain that sells "factory seconds". So if you like what you find,
> > buy all you can, it may not be there next time!
> Sherman & Lin's sold whatever other stores had left over, and there
> was a large display of Red Gold factory seconds at the back of the
> store during their going-out-of-business sale. I still have rather a
> lot of canned tomatoes.
>
> I think I saw some of the stuff I passed over at the sale in the
> free-grocery aisle of Our Father's House, a charity second-hand shop
> in nearby Lake View Plaza.
>
> I used to find all kinds of interesting stuff at Sherman & Lin's, and
> was upset when the supply line broke and they had to go out of
> business. I wasn't as upset as the people in the housing development
> between the store and the lake; being able to walk to the store had
> been so convenient!
>
> They had a small cooler of perishable staples, presumably bought
> retail; I never thought to compare the prices since I didn't need that
> service.
>
> Aunt Millie's Outlet had interesting breads until the supply lines
> broke. One day I was passing by on my way back from Indiana
> Restaurant Supply and saw a bunch of trucks parked around it, so I
> climbed up to the parking lot and peeked in the window. The front
> part was furnished as an office. The trucks suggest that the back
> room is being used as a warehouse or distribution center.
>
> ********
>
> I'm pretty sure that I've seen agave syrup at Kroger. Meijer also has
> an aisle of exotic foods.
>
> I should check for sweeteners the next time I'm in the carneceria.
> They have cone-shaped loaves of brown sugar and many kinds of wierd
> candy.
> --
> Joy Beeson
> joy beeson at centurylink dot net
> http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/

Hi Joy!

I am trying to avoid any news so I am surfing obscure usenet forums as
I am Finnish and we have been threatened by our neighbor to the east.
So I went to your webpage and noticed you said you had trip reports from
Warsaw. Well, to make a long story short, the families of my ex were from Warsaw.
(Kneppers / Enyarts) lol Small world.

Your web page has very retro - small town USA charm to it.

Antti
(Fond of biking too)

Re: Today's ride

<kci22hdkthvhedsba2be9jmchbtcjm0fmf@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=161&group=rec.bicycles.misc#161

From: jbee...@invalid.net.invalid (Joy Beeson)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.misc
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2022 18:16:20 -0500
 by: Joy Beeson - Thu, 3 Mar 2022 23:16 UTC

On Wed, 2 Mar 2022 08:27:52 -0800 (PST), Antti Luode
<luodeantti@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am trying to avoid any news so I am surfing obscure usenet forums as
> I am Finnish and we have been threatened by our neighbor to the east.
> So I went to your webpage and noticed you said you had trip reports from
> Warsaw. Well, to make a long story short, the families of my ex were from Warsaw.
> (Kneppers / Enyarts) lol Small world.

I'll bet that your Warsaw isn't in Kosciusko County, Indiana!

My website should be alive again soon. The computer that uploaded
updates died of a fried power supply, but my spouse managed to copy
the hard disk onto a thumb drive (three hours!), so I can retrieve and
edit the files -- I already have three on my back-up computer: my
diary (Beeson Banner), my sewing diary (2021SEW), and the weblog of
changes to the sewing site. There are at least sixty files in the
text-file subdirectory of PAGESEW alone, and I doubt that that many
would fit into DOSBOX.

First, I've got to have my spouse take me through FileZilla for
Dummies again. It's supposed to be very easy -- if you have some
faint clue as to which button to push. I suspect that using it for
maintenance, rather than for massive transfers of data, will leave me
feeling as though I had a half-dozen tulip bulbs and a backhoe.

I, too, avoid the news. It's not concievable that it could be either
good or something I could do anything about. If it isn't on the front
page of the Warsaw Times-Union, I don't know about it. And the front
page is entirely the minutes of local-government meetings.