Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 19:56:14 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Cantor's perpetual fallacy
From: ross.a.f...@gmail.com (Ross Finlayson)
 by: Ross Finlayson - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 03:56 UTC

On Wednesday, December 8, 1999 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-8, Virgil wrote:
> In article <82kddc$dv3$1...@fir.prod.itd.earthlink.net>, "Tralfaz"
> <tra...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> >Thanks. That is what I was looking for. All I saw in this thread were
> >statements that amounted to, "It's obvious!", or "Because I said so!"
> >
> >So assuming that an integer has a finite number of digits and a real can
> >have an infinite number . . .
> >
> >Let M map a real to an integer as follows: The digit in the 10^-k place
> >of
> >the real maps to the 10^(k-1) of the integer. The intended effect is to
> >"flip" the real around the decimal point.
> >E.g. 0.1234... => ...4321
> >
> >Where would the above mapping break down? Please no begging the question
> >by
> >saying the map is not surjective since the real is infinite and the
> >integer
> >is finite.
> The decimal for 1/3 would map into an integer with infinitely many
> non-zero digits. Since integers with infinitely many non-zero digits
> cannot exist, your mapping breaks down. In fact, such a mapping could
> only have a domain of proper *terminating* decimals, which leaves out
> "most" decimals.
> --
> Virgil
> vm...@frii.com

"The goal of every art work is emotion,
whose strength is greater in proportion
to the immediacy of the reality represented in the work.
The lack of the problematic, of a continued search within the picture,
is the major prerequisite for penetrating to direct reality within an art work.
The intercession of intellect,
in order to either pose problems or give explanations,
weakens the emotions and makes them indirect, or even excludes their possibility.
Thus a direct work free of problems will be more perfect
and its emotions stronger and more direct.
It contains a new reality which has an immediacy
and thus a genuinely new and liberating outlook on the visual arts."
-- Unknown