From: sco...@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Android 11 versus Android 10
Date: Mon, 3 May 2021 00:06:54 +0300
 by: Scott Lurndal - Sun, 2 May 2021 21:06 UTC

Just moved from Android 10 to Android 11 a couple days ago.
What are your impressions of Android 10?

So far I'm seeing plenty of cosmetic reshuffling but not that much impact.

I most like that I can pin my SMS app to the top of the huge share list
(I used to have to scroll through pages of apps to get to QuickSMS).

And the notifications change with every release but they seem to be getting
more controllable with priority separation of communication notifications
and conversations on the lock screen plus the history of all the
notifications I missed is easier to find now.

While I was already used to in Android 10 to the app drawer being no longer
an app but a swip up from the dock I'm just starting to get used to this new
pinning of "bubbles" where it seems I can do a sort of "picture on top" of
the conversations I'm currently doing and I'm also starting very slowly to
get used to all messaging apps being lumped together in "conversations."

And I didn't know that I was supposed to use the power button for so many
things (other than powering the phone on and off that is).

I don't need the new screen recorder nor Android Auto nor the Ethernet
tethering nor the dynamic metering for 5G nor that intrusive bedtime mode
nor tracking of sleep schedules nor texting across computers nor playing
media across computers nor those so-called smart replies nor home automation
nor voice control of the phone nor the media controls nor the app
suggestions nor smart folders nor all that dark mode "theme" garbage nor the
work profile scheduling.

I've already been the beneficiary of the seamless updates which are now
mandatory on Android 11 and which only show up to me after I boot the phone
(telling me it was doing all that downloading & updating in the background).

I like the new privacy one time permission and expired permissions (which
turn them off over time if you don't use the apps) and I noticed they now
block an app from asking too many times for permissions and I guess I like
that google play does the updating of half the operating system now for
security updates.

I guess the new bluetooth context-aware airplane mode could be useful
(bluetooth stays on if you are connected by headphones when you turn on
airplane mode) and the keyboard autofill seems to be more in your face now.

For whatever reasons known only to Google they reversed what the bottom
three buttons do but they gave me an option to switch it back (thank you).

They also added a 6th icon to the top swipe down bar which allows me to have
my most often used six things there (rotate, locate, data, wifi, bt, &
airplane are my top items in that order) but they made the moving around of
those icons an extra few button presses now as I think they also did with
Android 9 (or was it with Android 10?).

I don't like the scoped storage but maybe I'll get used to it after I
download the latest updated file manager apps that handle it properly.

Other than scoped storage all my old apps seem to be working as they were
(and I turned off all that Cortana-like suggested apps stuff as I don't need
my phone to be suggesting what apps I should be installing on it).

Mostly Android 11 seems the same as Android 10 only with the controls in
different places (which was essentially my experience of Android 9 to 10).

What was your experience in the first few days of using Android 11?

Re: Android 11 versus Android 10

<s77c9f$dmi$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15392&group=comp.mobile.android#15392

From: sco...@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Android 11 versus Android 10
Date: Sun, 9 May 2021 04:01:40 +0300
 by: Scott Lurndal - Sun, 9 May 2021 01:01 UTC

Scott Lurndal writes:
> What was your experience in the first few days of using Android 11?

One other thing that is nice about Android 11 is when you first connect it
to a PC is asks a yes or no question of whether you want to allow access.

There's none of that MTP/PTP stuff we had to mess with in prior settings.

Re: Android 11 versus Android 10

<sm0o8dj7j3y.fsf@lakka.kapsi.fi>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15398&group=comp.mobile.android#15398

From: as...@sci.fi (Anssi Saari)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 09 May 2021 22:57:21 +0300
sha1:BcFJuqiaD57NfyREKaxMe5y3Pz4=
 by: Anssi Saari - Sun, 9 May 2021 19:57 UTC

Scott Lurndal <scott@slp53.sl.home> writes:

> Scott Lurndal writes:
>> What was your experience in the first few days of using Android 11?
>
> One other thing that is nice about Android 11 is when you first connect it
> to a PC is asks a yes or no question of whether you want to allow access.
>
> There's none of that MTP/PTP stuff we had to mess with in prior settings.

I think you mean how some phones pop up a menu on how to talk to the PC?
That's probably a phone specific customization. I don't think any of my
phones have had that. I assume MTP is the default in Android 11 as ever?

Personally I'd really prefer Android would show up as a network share
but Goggle went with a different Microsoft protocol.

Re: Android 11 versus Android 10

<s7bbme$1oi2$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15419&group=comp.mobile.android#15419

From: sco...@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 10 May 2021 16:16:02 +0300
 by: Scott Lurndal - Mon, 10 May 2021 13:16 UTC

Anssi Saari writes:

>> There's none of that MTP/PTP stuff we had to mess with in prior settings.
>
> I think you mean how some phones pop up a menu on how to talk to the PC?
> That's probably a phone specific customization. I don't think any of my
> phones have had that. I assume MTP is the default in Android 11 as ever?

I seem to remember Android used to default to PTP (as I recall anyway) and
if we didn't want PTP we had to dive deep into the end of the settings to
set the MTP/PTP/Camera settings.

Instead the first time I plugged it into the PC by USB it asked how I wanted
to connect so I didn't have to dive deep into the Android settings at all.

> Personally I'd really prefer Android would show up as a network share
> but Goggle went with a different Microsoft protocol.

At this very moment I'm working that angle on the Windows newsgroup.
From: Scott Lurndal <scott@slp53.sl.home>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Windows sync batch command
Date: Sun, 9 May 2021 04:43:42 +0300

What I'm looking for there is a one-way sync mirror of important folders.

I've got the internal & external storage on my Android phone each showing up
as separate Windows 10 drive letter so far but I'm still testing the script.

Re: Android 11 versus Android 10

<ifuoa2F8n05U3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=15457&group=comp.mobile.android#15457

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 07:59:12 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Tue, 11 May 2021 06:59 UTC

Scott Lurndal wrote:

> I seem to remember Android used to default to PTP (as I recall anyway) and
> if we didn't want PTP we had to dive deep into the end of the settings to
> set the MTP/PTP/Camera settings.

I think the default now is "charge only" with an option to "give charge"
if the devices are both PD capable, plus file transfer options ...

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: Android 11 versus Android 10