Laugh, and the world ignores you. Crying doesn't help either.

interests / sci.anthropology.paleo / Re: bipedal=aquarboreal

SubjectAuthor
* bipedal=aquarboreallittor...@gmail.com
`* Re: bipedal=aquarborealJTEM is so reasonable
 `* Re: bipedal=aquarborealDD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves
  `- Re: bipedal=aquarboreallittor...@gmail.com

1
bipedal=aquarboreal

<fc464bb4-913f-490b-a4d3-a9f4e66192d7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=15571&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#15571

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2022 06:19:58 -0800 (PST)
Subject: bipedal=aquarboreal
From: littoral...@gmail.com (littor...@gmail.com)
 by: littor...@gmail.com - Mon, 28 Nov 2022 14:19 UTC

People who don't see this are no paleo- or other anthropologists.
The early Hominoidea already became BP,
- not for running after antelopes of course,
- but simply for wading in swamp forests
+ for climbing arms overhead in the branches above.

All locomotions of extant Hominoidea are easily derivable from this ancestral BP wading-climbing locomotion (but not from any other early-hominoid locomotion):
-hylobatid vertical brachiation,
-orang below-branch hanging,
-gorilla knuckle-walking,
-human BP walking,
-chimp knuckle-walking.

Google:
-gorilla wading,
-bonobo wading,
-orangutan wading.

I had already proposed this locomotion a few years before the wading gorilla of Ndoki were discovered.

Only incredible imbeciles don't see this.

Re: bipedal=aquarboreal

<c0c4aa5e-8176-4a7a-b5cb-8672b63a6253n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=15578&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#15578

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2022 11:56:36 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: bipedal=aquarboreal
From: jte...@gmail.com (JTEM is so reasonable)
 by: JTEM is so reasonabl - Mon, 28 Nov 2022 19:56 UTC

littor...@gmail.com wrote:

> People who don't see this are no paleo- or other anthropologists.
> The early Hominoidea already became BP,
> - not for running after antelopes of course,
> - but simply for wading in swamp forests
> + for climbing arms overhead in the branches above.

I agree that it's most likely that so called "Apes" began with the
exploitation of aquatic resources, I'm none too sure that it was
swamps. Could've been swamps, could've been tidal estuaries,
could have been a beach front.. I don't know.

The Red Sea... what is today the Persian Gulf... the
Mediterranean coast... what is today Yemen or Oman... all prime
for our first "Ape."

If we're going to go with swamp lands, I'd think that we'd have to
widen our view to southeast Asia...

I don't know the answer. I agree that it's relevant because it
illustrates just how far back we're starting. This wasn't a race
with a specified goal. They were simply living.

-- --

https://jtem.tumblr.com/post/701970720341770240

Re: bipedal=aquarboreal

<69c445d8-1376-427e-a6b1-af254f03a139n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=15590&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#15590

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2022 23:13:45 -0800 (PST)
From: daud.de...@gmail.com (DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves)
 by: DD'eDeN aka not - Tue, 29 Nov 2022 07:13 UTC

On Monday, November 28, 2022 at 2:56:37 PM UTC-5, JTEM is so reasonable wrote:
> littor...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > People who don't see this are no paleo- or other anthropologists.
> > The early Hominoidea already became BP,
> > - not for running after antelopes of course,
> > - but simply for wading in swamp forests
> > + for climbing arms overhead in the branches above.
> I agree that it's most likely that so called "Apes" began with the
> exploitation of aquatic resources, I'm none too sure that it was
> swamps. Could've been swamps, could've been tidal estuaries,
> could have been a beach front.. I don't know.
>
> The Red Sea... what is today the Persian Gulf... the
> Mediterranean coast... what is today Yemen or Oman... all prime
> for our first "Ape."
>
> If we're going to go with swamp lands, I'd think that we'd have to
> widen our view to southeast Asia...
>
> I don't know the answer. I agree that it's relevant because it
> illustrates just how far back we're starting. This wasn't a race
> with a specified goal. They were simply living.
>

> -- --
>
> https://jtem.tumblr.com/post/701970720341770240

Duboisia santeng or Dubois' antelope is an extinct antelope-like bovid that was endemic to Indonesia during the Pleistocene. It went extinct during the Ionian stage of the Pleistocene, about 750.000 years ago. Duboisia santeng was first described by the Dutch paleoanthropologist and geologist Eugène Dubois in 1891.

Journal of Human Evolution
Volume 90, January 2016, Pages 120-134
Cranial vault thickness in primates: Homo erectus does not have uniquely thick vault bones
Author links open overlay panelLynn E.Copes1William H.Kimbel
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhevol.2015.08.008
Get rights and content
Abstract
Extremely thick cranial vaults have been noted as a diagnostic characteristic of Homo erectus since the first fossil of the species was identified, but relatively little work has been done on elucidating its etiology or variation across fossils, living humans, or extant non-human primates. Cranial vault thickness (CVT) is not a monolithic trait, and the responsiveness of its layers to environmental stimuli is unknown.

We obtained measurements of cranial vault thickness in fossil hominins from the literature and supplemented those data with additional measurements taken on African fossil specimens. Total CVT and the thickness of the cortical and diploë layers individually were compared to measures of CVT in extant species measured from more than 500 CT scans of human and non-human primates.

Frontal and parietal CVT in fossil primates was compared to a regression of CVT on cranial capacity calculated for extant species. Even after controlling for cranial capacity, African and Asian H. erectus do not have uniquely high frontal or parietal thickness residuals, either among hominins or extant primates. Extant primates with residual CVT thickness similar to or exceeding H. erectus (depending on the sex and bone analyzed) include Nycticebus coucang, Perodicticus potto, Alouatta caraya, Lophocebus albigena, Galago alleni, Mandrillus sphinx, and Propithecus diadema. However, the especially thick vaults of extant non-human primates that overlap with H. erectus values are composed primarily of cortical bone, while H. erectus and other hominins have diploë-dominated vault bones. Thus, the combination of thick vaults comprised of a thickened diploë layer may be a reliable autapomorphy for members of the genus Homo.

Introduction
In 1891, Eugene Dubois discovered, near the village of Trinil on the island of Java, the first specimen, a calotte, of the extinct hominin species that would come to be known as Homo erectus. Among the characters often used to diagnose the species is a thickened cranial vault (Dubois, 1937, Weidenreich, 1943, Andrews, 1984, Bilsborough and Wood, 1988, Antón, 2002, Antón, 2003), which has been considered unique among primates and even mammals (Weidenreich, 1943, Kennedy, 1991). In fact, however, because cranial vault thickness (CVT) is a composite of the thickness of each layer of vault bone (inner and outer cortical tables, sandwiching the spongy diploë), and vault bone composition across extant and extinct primates has never been thoroughly investigated,

Re: bipedal=aquarboreal

<c14771a8-56f0-4a5d-a961-b9748b21c38cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=15600&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#15600

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2022 09:21:53 -0800 (PST)
From: littoral...@gmail.com (littor...@gmail.com)
 by: littor...@gmail.com - Tue, 29 Nov 2022 17:21 UTC

Op dinsdag 29 november 2022 om 08:13:47 UTC+1 schreef DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves:
> On Monday, November 28, 2022 at 2:56:37 PM UTC-5, JTEM is so reasonable wrote:
> > littor...@gmail.com wrote:

> > > People who don't see this are no paleo- or other anthropologists.
> > > The early Hominoidea already became BP,
> > > - not for running after antelopes of course,
> > > - but simply for wading in swamp forests
> > > + for climbing arms overhead in the branches above.

> > I agree that it's most likely that so called "Apes" began with the
> > exploitation of aquatic resources, I'm none too sure that it was
> > swamps. Could've been swamps, could've been tidal estuaries,
> > could have been a beach front.. I don't know.
> > The Red Sea... what is today the Persian Gulf... the
> > Mediterranean coast... what is today Yemen or Oman... all prime
> > for our first "Ape."
> > If we're going to go with swamp lands, I'd think that we'd have to
> > widen our view to southeast Asia...
> > I don't know the answer. I agree that it's relevant because it
> > illustrates just how far back we're starting. This wasn't a race
> > with a specified goal. They were simply living.

Hypothetically FWIW (as described in my book):
did early apes adapt to incipient coastal forests?
Hominoid splittings & plate tectonics:
-- 40-30 Ma? India approaching Eurasia: archipelago fm split cercopiths (Eurasia) & hominoids (island coastal forests),
-- 30-20 Ma? India further underneath Eurasia split lesser (E) & great apes (W) along Tethys Ocean,
-- 15 Ma the Mesopotamian Seaway Closure split pongids (E -> Ind.Ocean coastal forests) & hominids (W -> Med+Red Sea),
-- c 8 Ma the N-side of the Rift fm split G (incipient Rift) & HP (still in Red Sea) ->afarensis -> boisei,
-- 5.4 Ma Zanclean mega-flood & Red Sea opening into the Gulf split H (left) & P (right):
-P along E.Afr.coasts entered the S-side of the Rift c 3 Ma -> africanus -> robustus // G ->afarensis -> boisei,
-H along S.Asian coasts reached Java at least c 2 Ma?

> Duboisia santeng or Dubois' antelope is an extinct antelope-like bovid that was endemic to Indonesia during the Pleistocene. It went extinct c 750 ka(Ionian stage of Pleistocene). D.santeng was first described by the Dutch PA & geologist Eugène Dubois in 1891.
> Lynn E Copes cs 2016 JHE 90:120-134 doi org/10.1016/j.jhevol.2015.08.008
> Cranial vault thickness in primates: Homo erectus does not have uniquely thick vault bones
> Extremely thick cranial vaults have been noted as a diagnostic characteristic of H.erectus since its first fossil was identified, but rel.little work has been done on elucidating its etiology or variation across fossils, living humans, or extant non-human primates. CVT is not a monolithic trait, and the responsiveness of its layers to environmental stimuli is unknown. ....

Yes, unknown to kudu runners... :-DDD