No, that'd be silly. -- Larry Wall in <199710221710.KAA24242@wall.org>

tech / rec.audio.pro / Re: Multi-track recorders for the blind?

SubjectAuthor
* Multi-track recorders for the blind?Neil
+* Re: Multi-track recorders for the blind?Scott Dorsey
|+* Re: Multi-track recorders for the blind?Roy W. Rising
||`- Re: Multi-track recorders for the blind?Neil
|`- Re: Multi-track recorders for the blind?Neil
`- Re: Multi-track recorders for the blind?Neil

1
Multi-track recorders for the blind?

<srpt6i$ctt$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1560&group=rec.audio.pro#1560

From: nei...@myplaceofwork.com (Neil)
Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
Subject: Multi-track recorders for the blind?
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2022 14:05:52 -0500
 by: Neil - Thu, 13 Jan 2022 19:05 UTC

A friend who is a drummer that lost his sight is interested in doing
multi-track recordings. He is generally aware of the process, since we
owned a couple of recording studios in the '70s. I doubt he could use
any of the various devices and apps that I have because of deep menus,
complex controls and such.

I was thinking along the lines of the hand-held Tascam recorders, since
once they're set up, the controls are fairly simple. Perhaps there are
better alternatives out there, so I thought I'd ask here for some
insights and things to consider.

--
best regards,

Neil

Re: Multi-track recorders for the blind?

<srsdo4$fpn$1@panix2.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1562&group=rec.audio.pro#1562

From: klu...@panix.com (Scott Dorsey)
Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
Subject: Re: Multi-track recorders for the blind?
Date: 14 Jan 2022 18:00:36 -0000
 by: Scott Dorsey - Fri, 14 Jan 2022 18:00 UTC

In article <srpt6i$ctt$1@dont-email.me>, Neil <neil@myplaceofwork.com> wrote:
>A friend who is a drummer that lost his sight is interested in doing
>multi-track recordings. He is generally aware of the process, since we
>owned a couple of recording studios in the '70s. I doubt he could use
>any of the various devices and apps that I have because of deep menus,
>complex controls and such.

What does he want it for? If it's just for songwriting, he might consider
one of those awful-sounding cassette portastudios. You can hear the meters
ping when they are severely overloaded, and there is one function per control.
You can't feel where you are on the tape by feeling the size of the reel pack
though.

I am using the Tascam HS P-82 as well as the Tascam HS-8, and I find them
usable with limited vision but totally inoperable by feel.
--scott

Re: Multi-track recorders for the blind?

<9a607544-d8a6-42ef-b189-5703073ce077n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1563&group=rec.audio.pro#1563

Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2022 10:38:10 -0800 (PST)
From: rwris...@dslextreme.com (Roy W. Rising)
 by: Roy W. Rising - Fri, 14 Jan 2022 18:38 UTC

On Friday, January 14, 2022 at 10:00:40 AM UTC-8, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> In article <srpt6i$ctt$1...@dont-email.me>, Neil <ne...@myplaceofwork.com> wrote:
> >A friend who is a drummer that lost his sight is interested in doing
> >multi-track recordings. He is generally aware of the process, since we
> >owned a couple of recording studios in the '70s. I doubt he could use
> >any of the various devices and apps that I have because of deep menus,
> >complex controls and such.
> What does he want it for? If it's just for songwriting, he might consider
> one of those awful-sounding cassette portastudios. You can hear the meters
> ping when they are severely overloaded, and there is one function per control.
> You can't feel where you are on the tape by feeling the size of the reel pack
> though.
>
> I am using the Tascam HS P-82 as well as the Tascam HS-8, and I find them
> usable with limited vision but totally inoperable by feel.
> --scott
>

> --

Scott asks the key question. Does he want to track various elements and then mix a cut? I can imagine doing that unsighted in the analog world, given I had some help with getting set up. The main obstacle is level setting. I have trouble imagining getting there with digital gear.

Roy W. Rising "If you notice the sound, it's wrong!"

Re: Multi-track recorders for the blind?

<srsust$jc3$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1564&group=rec.audio.pro#1564

From: nei...@myplaceofwork.com (Neil)
Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2022 17:53:12 -0500
 by: Neil - Fri, 14 Jan 2022 22:53 UTC

On 1/14/2022 1:00 PM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> In article <srpt6i$ctt$1@dont-email.me>, Neil <neil@myplaceofwork.com> wrote:
>> A friend who is a drummer that lost his sight is interested in doing
>> multi-track recordings. He is generally aware of the process, since we
>> owned a couple of recording studios in the '70s. I doubt he could use
>> any of the various devices and apps that I have because of deep menus,
>> complex controls and such.
>
> What does he want it for? If it's just for songwriting, he might consider
> one of those awful-sounding cassette portastudios. You can hear the meters
> ping when they are severely overloaded, and there is one function per control.
> You can't feel where you are on the tape by feeling the size of the reel pack
> though.
>
> I am using the Tascam HS P-82 as well as the Tascam HS-8, and I find them
> usable with limited vision but totally inoperable by feel.
> --scott

He wants it primarily for exploring options and composition. He recently
bought an electronic drum set so that he could get back into playing
music. He was exploring apps for his computer that would let him play
on-line with others, and thought he could do the multi-tracking with an
app as well, but I think that would be too complex. I looked at a couple
of units on-line that seemed like they may be workable. But, of course,
the devil is in the details.

The Zoom R20 looked pretty simple, with fewer control options than most
of the others and what looks like a screen that mainly shows tracks that
have been recorded. If hitting rewind takes you back to the beginning,
he wouldn't have to see the tracking info. I don't know what one has to
go through to set up new songs, and that might be a show-stopper.

The Tascam DP-008EX seems to be pretty simple, too. The same set-up
issues apply, adding selecting tracks for its two inputs.

--
best regards,

Neil

Re: Multi-track recorders for the blind?

<srsv5e$klt$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1565&group=rec.audio.pro#1565

From: nei...@myplaceofwork.com (Neil)
Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2022 17:57:47 -0500
 by: Neil - Fri, 14 Jan 2022 22:57 UTC

On 1/14/2022 1:38 PM, Roy W. Rising wrote:
> On Friday, January 14, 2022 at 10:00:40 AM UTC-8, Scott Dorsey wrote:
>> In article <srpt6i$ctt$1...@dont-email.me>, Neil <ne...@myplaceofwork.com> wrote:
>>> A friend who is a drummer that lost his sight is interested in doing
>>> multi-track recordings. He is generally aware of the process, since we
>>> owned a couple of recording studios in the '70s. I doubt he could use
>>> any of the various devices and apps that I have because of deep menus,
>>> complex controls and such.
>> What does he want it for? If it's just for songwriting, he might consider
>> one of those awful-sounding cassette portastudios. You can hear the meters
>> ping when they are severely overloaded, and there is one function per control.
>> You can't feel where you are on the tape by feeling the size of the reel pack
>> though.
>>
>> I am using the Tascam HS P-82 as well as the Tascam HS-8, and I find them
>> usable with limited vision but totally inoperable by feel.
>> --scott
>>

>> --
>> "C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."
>
> Scott asks the key question. Does he want to track various elements and then mix a cut? I can imagine doing that unsighted in the analog world, given I had some help with getting set up. The main obstacle is level setting. I have trouble imagining getting there with digital gear.
>
> Roy W. Rising "If you notice the sound, it's wrong!"

It would have been somewhat easier in the analog studios we owned. We
had some blind customers that liked to participate in the mixes. I don't
think level setting would be much of a problem, since compressors and/or
limiters are commonplace in digital recorders. Jut set it so it doesn't
clip. If he needed more dynamic control, he shouldn't be doing this at
home anyway!

--
best regards,

Neil

Re: Multi-track recorders for the blind?

<ss7gfg$8r7$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1566&group=rec.audio.pro#1566

From: nei...@myplaceofwork.com (Neil)
Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 17:54:40 -0500
 by: Neil - Tue, 18 Jan 2022 22:54 UTC

The recorder that I am recommending to my friend is the Zoom R20 16 track.

<https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/R20--zoom-r20-16-track-recorder-interface-controller-workstations>

Particularly:
"But one of the coolest accommodations of the Zoom R20 is its VoiceOver
Gesture controls. The first multi-track recorder of its kind to do so,
the R20 features an audible assistant that makes using all functions of
the workstation easier for those with visual impairments. Here at
Sweetwater, we love to see companies like Zoom that find ways to build
gear that’s both accessible and easy to use for every music lover."

--
best regards,

Neil