Air pollution is really making us pay through the nose.

tech / rec.aviation.piloting / Only a ONE Million Dollar Cleanup

SubjectAuthor
* Only a ONE Million Dollar CleanupGeoff Rove
`* Re: Only a ONE Million Dollar CleanupJim Pennino
 `* Re: Only a ONE Million Dollar CleanupGeoff Rove
  `* Re: Only a ONE Million Dollar CleanupJim Pennino
   `* Re: Only a ONE Million Dollar CleanupDaniel
    `- Re: Only a ONE Million Dollar CleanupGeoff Rove

1
Only a ONE Million Dollar Cleanup

<85d21933-b109-4b36-bebc-67dc879e3031n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=16&group=rec.aviation.piloting#16

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.piloting
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2021 17:32:08 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Only a ONE Million Dollar Cleanup
From: jgrov...@hotmail.com (Geoff Rove)
 by: Geoff Rove - Sat, 24 Apr 2021 00:32 UTC

"

SAN DIEGO — Five people escaped uninjured on Saturday when a corporate jet they were in crashed upon takeoff at the Montgomery-Gibbs Executive Airport in Kearny Mesa, fire officials said.
At 11:47 a.m. Saturday, the jet hit the dirt at the end of the runway and lost its wheels, said Battalion Chief Matt Nilsen of the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department.
The fire department said the private jet was loaded down with 3,400 gallons of fuel when the jet experienced a malfunction causing the pilots to abort the take off.

All five people on board got off the jet with no injuries reported, Nilsen said. Fire units arrived at the airport at 3799 John J. Montgomery Drive at 11:54 a.m. The Chief also told CBS 8 that the plane was headed to Hawaii.
.....and NOW....
April 20, 2021 5:27 PM PT
SAN DIEGO —
A plane crash in February at Montgomery Field requiring nearly $1 million in environmental clean-up efforts forced the San Diego City Council to approve on Tuesday an emergency influx of cash for the city’s airports fund.
The $1.5 million in cash will cover $911,000 for the crash clean-up, $340,000 to upgrade buildings at Montgomery Field in Kearny Mesa for a possible tenant, and $270,000 to analyze proposed upgrades at Brown Field in Otay Mesa. The $340,000 will cover heating and ventilation upgrades to buildings at Montgomery Field that the city acquired when they were abandoned by a former tenant.

The city hopes to get reimbursed for the clean-up costs by the pilot responsible for the Feb. 13 crash or his insurance company, Jorge , the city’s deputy director for airports, told the council’s budget committee in early April.

The plane failed to leave the ground when trying to take off and then crashed into a Federal Aviation Administration navigational aid, ran through an environmentally sensitive vernal pool and then crashed, spilling 3,400 gallons of fuel, Jorge said."

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/politics/story/2021-04-20/crash-at-montgomery-field-requiring-nearly-1m-clean-up-emergency-cash-for-airports-fund

Re: Only a ONE Million Dollar Cleanup

<kcsdlh-8mmh.ln1@gonzo.specsol.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=17&group=rec.aviation.piloting#17

From: jim...@gonzo.specsol.net (Jim Pennino)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.piloting
Subject: Re: Only a ONE Million Dollar Cleanup
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2021 09:08:22 -0700
 by: Jim Pennino - Sat, 24 Apr 2021 16:08 UTC

Geoff Rove <jgrove24@hotmail.com> wrote:
> "
<snip>

> The $1.5 million in cash will cover $911,000 for the crash clean-up, $340,000 to upgrade buildings at Montgomery Field in Kearny Mesa for a possible tenant, and $270,000 to analyze proposed upgrades at Brown Field in Otay Mesa. The $340,000 will cover heating and ventilation upgrades to buildings at Montgomery Field that the city acquired when they were abandoned by a former tenant.

I understand the idea of recovering damages from those that caused the
damage, however $911,000 seems like a bloated number to me and I fail to
see why the pilot/owner/insurance company would be responsible for
paying for upgrades of any kind.

<snip>

Re: Only a ONE Million Dollar Cleanup

<ec924a97-5f16-4fbe-af54-7140cce786f3n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=18&group=rec.aviation.piloting#18

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.piloting
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2021 14:17:29 -0700 (PDT)
From: jgrov...@hotmail.com (Geoff Rove)
 by: Geoff Rove - Sun, 25 Apr 2021 21:17 UTC

On Saturday, April 24, 2021 at 11:16:05 AM UTC-5, Jim Pennino wrote:
> Geoff Rove <jgro...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > "
> <snip>
> >
> > The $1.5 million in cash will cover $911,000 for the crash clean-up, $340,000 to upgrade buildings at Montgomery Field in Kearny Mesa for a possible tenant, and $270,000 to analyze proposed upgrades at Brown Field in Otay Mesa. The $340,000 will cover heating and ventilation upgrades to buildings at Montgomery Field that the city acquired when they were abandoned by a former tenant.
> >
> I understand the idea of recovering damages from those that caused the
> damage, however $911,000 seems like a bloated number to me and I fail to
> see why the pilot/owner/insurance company would be responsible for
> paying for upgrades of any kind.
>
> <snip>

I assume the City of San Diego has invoices for the $911,000 they say the cleanup cost. The other costs aren't being charged to the "pilots" insurance.. Not surprised that an airport tenant would abandon a building.

Re: Only a ONE Million Dollar Cleanup

<ai2jlh-dbal.ln1@gonzo.specsol.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=19&group=rec.aviation.piloting#19

From: jim...@gonzo.specsol.net (Jim Pennino)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.piloting
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2021 08:24:28 -0700
 by: Jim Pennino - Mon, 26 Apr 2021 15:24 UTC

Geoff Rove <jgrove24@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Saturday, April 24, 2021 at 11:16:05 AM UTC-5, Jim Pennino wrote:
>> Geoff Rove <jgro...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> > "
>> <snip>
>> >
>> > The $1.5 million in cash will cover $911,000 for the crash clean-up, $340,000 to upgrade buildings at Montgomery Field in Kearny Mesa for a possible tenant, and $270,000 to analyze proposed upgrades at Brown Field in Otay Mesa. The $340,000 will cover heating and ventilation upgrades to buildings at Montgomery Field that the city acquired when they were abandoned by a former tenant.
>> >
>> I understand the idea of recovering damages from those that caused the
>> damage, however $911,000 seems like a bloated number to me and I fail to
>> see why the pilot/owner/insurance company would be responsible for
>> paying for upgrades of any kind.
>>
>> <snip>
>
> I assume the City of San Diego has invoices for the $911,000 they say the cleanup cost. The other costs aren't being charged to the "pilots" insurance. Not surprised that an airport tenant would abandon a building.

You mean like the invoices hospitals give for $50 aspirin tablets?

Re: Only a ONE Million Dollar Cleanup

<87r1itsy7z.fsf@sci.fi.dan.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=20&group=rec.aviation.piloting#20

From: me...@sci.fi.dan.com (Daniel)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.piloting
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2021 17:58:40 -0700
 by: Daniel - Thu, 29 Apr 2021 00:58 UTC

Jim Pennino <jimp@gonzo.specsol.net> writes:

> Geoff Rove <jgrove24@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>> <snip>

>>> I understand the idea of recovering damages from those that caused the
>>> damage, however $911,000 seems like a bloated number to me and I fail to
>>> see why the pilot/owner/insurance company would be responsible for
>>> paying for upgrades of any kind.
>>>
>>> <snip>
>>
>> I assume the City of San Diego has invoices for the $911,000 they
>> say the cleanup cost. The other costs aren't being charged to the
>> "pilots" insurance. Not surprised that an airport tenant would
>> abandon a building.
>
> You mean like the invoices hospitals give for $50 aspirin tablets?

Lol, the fact that they're going to attempt collecting a million dollars
from a pilot is mindboggling. Did they even get a report from the NTSB
on the cause?

Daniel
Visit me at: gopher://gcpp.world

Re: Only a ONE Million Dollar Cleanup

<96e9da57-3974-4c3f-b61d-432eb74f6bfen@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=23&group=rec.aviation.piloting#23

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.piloting
Date: Wed, 12 May 2021 16:53:55 -0700 (PDT)
From: jgrov...@hotmail.com (Geoff Rove)
 by: Geoff Rove - Wed, 12 May 2021 23:53 UTC

On Wednesday, April 28, 2021 at 7:58:42 PM UTC-5, Daniel wrote:
> Jim Pennino <ji...@gonzo.specsol.net> writes:
>
> > Geoff Rove <jgro...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> >> I assume the City of San Diego has invoices for the $911,000 they
> >> say the cleanup cost. The other costs aren't being charged to the
> >> "pilots" insurance. Not surprised that an airport tenant would
> >> abandon a building.
> >
> > You mean like the invoices hospitals give for $50 aspirin tablets?
> Lol, the fact that they're going to attempt collecting a million dollars
> from a pilot is mindboggling. Did they even get a report from the NTSB
> on the cause?

I'm guessing the jet hitting a dirt berm at the end of the runway upon pilots aborting is the cause. Removing dirt soaked by 3400 gallons of fuel isn't cheap. MCAS El Toro had huge underground clean up costs
after it closed.