Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Power usage
From: jim...@jimXscott.co.uk (Jim S)
Date: Sun, 23 May 2021 16:28:22 GMT
 by: Jim S - Sun, 23 May 2021 16:28 UTC

There are a lot of websites which can also be accessed by an App.
Those that don't have apps can be accessed from a shortcut on the Home
screen
If I accessed all sites using Home screen links rather than using an app
would I conserve power or does it make no difference?
I hope that is clear.
I tend to use my phone more like a tablet for internet access.
I have lots of memory, but seem to be eating power.
--
Jim S

Re: Power usage

<rhhqnh-7ni3.ln1@hergen.spdns.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16099&group=comp.mobile.android#16099

From: hlehmann...@snafu.de (Hergen Lehmann)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Power usage
Date: Sun, 23 May 2021 19:55:39 +0200
 by: Hergen Lehmann - Sun, 23 May 2021 17:55 UTC

Am 23.05.21 um 18:28 schrieb Jim S:

> There are a lot of websites which can also be accessed by an App.
> Those that don't have apps can be accessed from a shortcut on the Home
> screen
> If I accessed all sites using Home screen links rather than using an app
> would I conserve power or does it make no difference?

There is no universally valid answer to that question.

Some Apps related to websites are little more than a Webview component
hard-wired to show a customized version of said website.

Others implement an extensive set of unique functionality, including
more-or-less sophisticated attempts to reduce data transmission and
power consumption or even the ability to work offline.

It depends on what you are using.

> I tend to use my phone more like a tablet for internet access.
> I have lots of memory, but seem to be eating power.

Yes, using the web browser for an extended period of time tends be quite
power-hungry. But this also goes for embedded web views, as these are
basically the same thing.

computers / comp.mobile.android / Power usage