From: LDigh...@att.net (Larry Dighera)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.piloting
Subject: Low-emissions flash method upcycles waste plastic into "free" hydrogen
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2023 15:59:55 -0700
 by: Larry Dighera - Mon, 18 Sep 2023 22:59 UTC

https://newatlas.com/energy/low-emissions-flash-method-upcycles-waste-plastic-free-hydrogen/?utm_source=New+Atlas+Subscribers&utm_campaign=af7563ebd4-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2023_09_18_01_34&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_65b67362bd-af7563ebd4-%5BLIST_EMAIL_ID%5Dhttps://newatlas.com/energy/low-emissions-flash-method-upcycles-waste-plastic-free-hydrogen/

Low-emissions flash method upcycles waste plastic into "free" hydrogen

By Paul McClure
September 17, 2023

Researchers have developed a low-emissions method of harvesting hydrogen and
graphene from waste plastics

View 2 Images

Researchers have used a low-emissions method to harvest hydrogen and
graphene from waste plastics. They say it not only solves environmental
problems like plastic pollution and greenhouse gas production, but the value
of the graphene by-product could offset the costs of producing hydrogen.

Hydrogen is used to power vehicles, generate electricity, and heat our homes
and businesses. Hydrogen contains more energy per unit of weight than fossil
fuels, which is important from an environmental standpoint as the main cause
of global greenhouse gas emissions is the release of carbon dioxide from
burning fossil fuels.

More than 95% of hydrogen is synthesized through steam-methane reforming,
which produces 11 tonnes (12 tons) of carbon dioxide for every tonne of
hydrogen, the vast majority of which is gray hydrogen. By comparison, “green
hydrogen” produced using renewable energy sources such as solar, wind, or
hydropower to split water into its component elements, is expensive, costing
around US$5 for just over two pounds (around one kilogram).

Researchers from Rice University have now developed a means of harvesting
valuable hydrogen and graphene from waste plastic using a low-emissions,
catalyst-free method that has the potential to pay for itself.

“In this work, we converted waste plastics – including mixed waste plastics
that don’t have to be sorted by type or washed – into high-yield hydrogen
gas and high-value graphene,” said Kevin Wyss, lead author of the study. “If
the produced graphene is sold at only 5% of current market value – a 95% off
sale! – clean hydrogen could be produced for free.”

In steam-methane reforming, high-temperature steam (1,292 °F to 1,832 °F/700
°C to 1,000 °C) is used to produce hydrogen from a methane source such as
natural gas. Methane reacts with the steam in the presence of a catalyst to
produce hydrogen, carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide.

“The main form of hydrogen used today is ‘gray’ hydrogen, which is produced
through steam-methane reforming, a method that generates a lot of carbon
dioxide,” said James Tour, one of the study’s corresponding authors. “Demand
for hydrogen will likely skyrocket over the next few decades, so we can’t
keep making it the same way we have up until now if we’re serious about
reaching net zero emissions by 2050.”

Waste plastics hang around in the environment for ages, threatening wildlife
and spreading toxins to animals and humans. In the current study, the
researchers exposed plastic waste to rapid flash Joule heating for about
four seconds. Raising the temperature up to 3,100 kelvin vaporizes the
hydrogen present in the plastic, leaving behind graphene, a light, durable
material comprised of a single layer of carbon atoms. Graphene is used in
electronics, energy storage, sensors, coatings, composites, and biomedical
devices, to name but a few of its applications.
Transmission electron microscope (TEM) image of nano-scale flash graphene
sheets formed from waste plastic
Transmission electron microscope (TEM) image of nano-scale flash graphene
sheets formed from waste plasticKevin Wyss/Tour Lab

“When we first discovered flash Joule heating and applied it to upcycle
waste plastic into graphene, we observed a lot of volatile gases being
produced and shooting out of the reactor,” Wyss said. “We wondered what they
were, suspecting a mix of small hydrocarbons and hydrogen, but lacked the
instrumentation to study their exact composition.”

After acquiring the equipment needed to analyze the vaporized contents
thanks to funding from the US Army Corps of Engineers, the researchers found
their suspicions were correct: the process produced hydrogen gas.

“We know that polyethylene, for example, is made of 86% carbon and 14%
hydrogen, and we demonstrated that we are able to recover up to 68% of that
atomic hydrogen as gas with a 94% purity,” said Wyss. “Developing the
methods and expertise to characterize and quantify all the gases, including
hydrogen, produced by this method was a difficult but rewarding process for
me.”

The researchers say that based on life-cycle assessment, their method
produces less emissions than other hydrogen production methods. Life-cycle
assessment is a technique used to analyze the holistic environmental impacts
and resource demands associated with production methods.

“The flash H2 process provides improvements in both cumulative energy demand
(33-95% less energy) and greenhouse gas emissions (65-89% less emissions)
when compared to other waste plastic or biomass deconstruction methods for
H2 production,” said the researchers.

The researchers say that a benefit of their flash Joule heating process is
that the waste plastic doesn’t need to be washed or separated and can be
leveraged to produce negative-cost clean hydrogen from waste materials.

They plan to increase their understanding of the flash Joule heating
mechanism to improve its scalability and optimize hydrogen production.

“I hope that this work will allow for the production of clean hydrogen from
waste plastics, possibly solving major environmental problems like plastic
pollution and the greenhouse gas-intensive production of hydrogen by
steam-methane reforming,” said Wyss.

The study was published in the journal Advanced Materials:
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/adma.202306763

Source: Rice University:
https://news.rice.edu/news/2023/making-hydrogen-waste-plastic-could-pay-itself

3 comments

Paul McClure
Before realizing his writing passion, Paul worked as an intensive care nurse
and a criminal defense lawyer for many years. He has a keen interest in
mental health and addiction, chronic illness, and medical technology. After
graduating with a Bachelor of Arts in journalism and creative writing in
2022, Paul joined New Atlas in 2023. Before starting with New Atlas, Paul
had written for several online publications in the areas of health and
well-being, parenting, entertainment, and popular culture.
Most Viewed

yawood September 17, 2023 09:36 PM
Let's hope it is scalable.
Ric September 18, 2023 04:38 AM
Waiting to find out what the catch is…
oldpistachio September 18, 2023 10:05 AM
I looked up what 3,100 degrees Kelvin is in Fahrenheit: over 5,120 degrees
Fahrenheit. But the process only needs it to be that hot (!) for4 seconds.