Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2023 22:51:16 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Paleo anthropology is NOT a real science: Mungo Man
From: jte...@gmail.com (JTEM is so reasonable)
 by: JTEM is so reasonabl - Mon, 30 Jan 2023 06:51 UTC

It's embarrassing but, I'm so brilliant that I sometimes
find myself wishing that I could be me.This is one of
those time...

Mungo Man

Now the true significance to Mungo Man was the finding
of an extinct mtDNA lineage, one that is significantly older
than any "Mitochondrial Eve" lineage, and that this lineage
originates in Eurasia or perhaps Oceania.

Now the odd thing here is that...wait. There's actually two
odd things and even there they are not so much odd as
VERY odd. So let's start over.

Now there are TWO, not one, VERY odd things here. The
first is that Mungo Man's mtDNA is only found today as an
insertion, on chromosome 11, in some billions of people.
And that this insertion, the one found on chromosome 11,
does not match Mungo Man's mtDNA. No. not an exact
match. Which means there are THREE very odd things here,
because there's still one more to go.But, as for these two...

IF Mungo Man's reported mtDNA is accurate, if the results
are real then we would expect his mtDNA to be different from
the mtDNA copied over into Chromosome 11.

Right?

Basically, the only way the couldn't differ is if the Chromosome
11 insert originated with him, which is impossible, so his mom
or a VERY close maternal relative. Separate him from the insertion
event by God-knows-how-many years, and whatever distance, and
mutations would have to crop up. Our mtDNA is not neutral. It was
under significant selective pressure in the past so we can guarantee
that there had to be differences between Mungo Man and the insert
in Chromosome 11. And there are.

Hmm... so it's impossible to be contamination and it's laughable
that some random result would mimmic EXACTLY what we'd need
to see IF it were real.

NOW THE THIRD REALLY ODD POINT:

It's irrelevant. Entirely. Though it is interesting to find the pre Eve
mtDNA line in Mungo Man, he's NOT what makes this line so
significant. Mungo Man was never necessary to establish it's
existence or establish it as a Eurasian line. That much is already
done.

With or without Mungo Man, there is an extremely ancient mtDNA
line, preserved on Chromosome 11 in BILLIONS of people living
today, this line is significantly older than any "Mitochondrial Eve"
and it has an Eurasian origins.

Done.

Mungo Man is a soft target. Attack him, pretend that you defeated
him and you can pretend that you made this Chromosome 11
insert go away. "Pretend."

And Mungo Man is hugely political. People actually claim to be
offended by the idea that the ancestors to modern Australian
Aborigines didn't all arrive at once, exactly as they are right now,
all with the exact same geographic & biological origins...

This is something that is not true anywhere else on the planet,
and accepted as not true, so why we are pretending that it
matters in Australia is anyone's guess. But, attacking Mungo
Man does satisfy both the emotional needs and the political
agendas of everyone from the Aborigine communities to the
Out of Africa purity nutters...

So ignore Mungo Man. Pretend he doesn't exist. This pre
"Eve" mtDNA line still existed, it is of Eurasian origins and
BILLIONS of people do trace their ancestry back to it.

This is a fact.

Is it really less "Racist" too say this line originates in China
or Europe, as opposed to Australia? I have no idea why it's
supposed to be racist at all but I have been assured, on more
than one occasion, that anything other than Out of Africa
purity is racists... including by an Australian P.A. student.

Still, the Chromosome 11 insert hasn't gone away. It's stll
there. It's still Eurasian in origins.

-- --

https://jtem.tumblr.com/post/707828647060471808