Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2023 18:54:16 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Ontogeny and Neoteny
From: jte...@gmail.com (JTEM is so reasonable)
 by: JTEM is so reasonabl - Wed, 1 Feb 2023 02:54 UTC

https://youtu.be/81c5doqGh8A

A fascinating overview, but you'd have to be crazy
to think our brains got bigger BECAUSE we lost the
sagittal crest... Sheesh!

Neonatal traits are heavily selected for in sexually
selected populations. The way it was originally
explained to me was that we don't just find such
traits attractive but they spark some inner nurturing
desire.

We care for our young.

But, sexual partners also benefit from this caring so
hairlessness, for example.

If you look at baby Chimps they have lighter skin and
a lot less hair!

And the internet is loaded with free port: Go look!

The ideal woman is a child with big boobs. The ideal
man is an unusually tall 10 year old with a large penis.
Everyone is into hairlessness (except for the trans men),
smooth bodies -- adult sized children!

And it's not just us. The ancient Romans had a thriving
hair removal industry...

it makes sense for monogamy, doesn't it? Loving and
wanting to nurture your partner, not just bang them &
move on...

And there does seem to be a strong "Sexually selected"
component in human evolution. But not in all populations
and perhaps not in any way we may think of things in
modern society.

As I've often pointed out: A Gorilla style reproductive
strategy with one male and many females qualifies as
"Monogamous" here. There's no sperm competition.

Anyway, watch the video, note the errors and try to
incorporate the concepts into human evolution.

THESE ARE NOT THINGS THAT HAPPENED ONLY ONCE!

-- --

https://jtem.tumblr.com/post/707927089453645825