The study of non-linear physics is like the study of non-elephant biology.

tech / rec.audio.pro / Re: Mic preamp gain knobs

SubjectAuthor
* Mic preamp gain knobsTobiah
+- Re: Mic preamp gain knobsChris K-Man
+- Re: Mic preamp gain knobsgeoff
+* Re: Mic preamp gain knobsJohn Williamson
|+* Re: Mic preamp gain knobsRalph Barone
||`- Re: Mic preamp gain knobsRalph Barone
|`- Re: Mic preamp gain knobspalli...@gmail.com
+- Re: Mic preamp gain knobsScott Dorsey
`- Re: Mic preamp gain knobsINFOHOU

1
Mic preamp gain knobs

<sumn1q$1lor$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1609&group=rec.audio.pro#1609

From: tob...@tobiah.org (Tobiah)
Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
Subject: Mic preamp gain knobs
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2022 15:51:17 -0800
 by: Tobiah - Thu, 17 Feb 2022 23:51 UTC

My audio interface has one for each mic input.
What would it take for a manufacturer to remove
these knobs from the interface and have that
value be controlled by software instead? What
would the simplest solution be for substituting
digital input for knob twiddling? I guess we're
really tied to the analog world here. Aside from
having a servo turn a pot, how could this be done?

Re: Mic preamp gain knobs

<3314ecb1-b36c-4668-86e2-91bf02554a73n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1612&group=rec.audio.pro#1612

Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2022 17:48:44 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Mic preamp gain knobs
From: thekmanr...@gmail.com (Chris K-Man)
 by: Chris K-Man - Fri, 18 Feb 2022 01:48 UTC

On Thursday, February 17, 2022 at 6:51:28 PM UTC-5, Tobiah wrote:
> My audio interface has one for each mic input.
> What would it take for a manufacturer to remove
> these knobs from the interface and have that
> value be controlled by software instead? What
> would the simplest solution be for substituting
> digital input for knob twiddling? I guess we're
> really tied to the analog world here. Aside from
> having a servo turn a pot, how could this be done?
_____

Well let me akse you this: Are there any issues with continuing
to have a knob representation for input gain adjustment? I
mean, it's what most folks are used to

Re: Mic preamp gain knobs

<WamdnU_nDdEEjJL_nZ2dnUU7-VudnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1613&group=rec.audio.pro#1613

Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2022 16:25:11 +1300
Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
From: geo...@nospamgeoffwood.org (geoff)
 by: geoff - Fri, 18 Feb 2022 03:25 UTC

On 18/02/2022 12:51 pm, Tobiah wrote:
> My audio interface has one for each mic input.
> What would it take for a manufacturer to remove
> these knobs from the interface and have that
> value be controlled by software instead?  What
> would the simplest solution be for substituting
> digital input for knob twiddling?  I guess we're
> really tied to the analog world here.  Aside from
> having a servo turn a pot, how could this be done?

Unlikey - the gain is near the front-end of the analogue circuitry,
before the A-D, and it's purpose is to boost the signal to a level where
the A-D can work optimally.

geoff

Re: Mic preamp gain knobs

<j790lgFslkvU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1615&group=rec.audio.pro#1615

From: johnwill...@btinternet.com (John Williamson)
Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2022 07:37:18 +0000
 by: John Williamson - Fri, 18 Feb 2022 07:37 UTC

On 17/02/2022 23:51, Tobiah wrote:
> My audio interface has one for each mic input.
> What would it take for a manufacturer to remove
> these knobs from the interface and have that
> value be controlled by software instead? What
> would the simplest solution be for substituting
> digital input for knob twiddling? I guess we're
> really tied to the analog world here. Aside from
> having a servo turn a pot, how could this be done?

On a lot of mic preamps, the amplifier runs constantly at full gain,and
the level control limits the level it sees, helping avoid clipping. It
may also actually alter the gain if the first stage. Normal practoce is
to set the gain there at the start of the session, and then use your DAW
to control levels in the mix.

Controlling the preamp digitally adds complexity for no reason.

Some microphones have a 10dB pad on the outpout for the same purpose.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Re: Mic preamp gain knobs

<suofb7$aia$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1617&group=rec.audio.pro#1617

From: ral...@invalid.com (Ralph Barone)
Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2022 15:52:07 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ralph Barone - Fri, 18 Feb 2022 15:52 UTC

John Williamson <johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> wrote:
> On 17/02/2022 23:51, Tobiah wrote:
>> My audio interface has one for each mic input.
>> What would it take for a manufacturer to remove
>> these knobs from the interface and have that
>> value be controlled by software instead? What
>> would the simplest solution be for substituting
>> digital input for knob twiddling? I guess we're
>> really tied to the analog world here. Aside from
>> having a servo turn a pot, how could this be done?
>>
> On a lot of mic preamps, the amplifier runs constantly at full gain,and
> the level control limits the level it sees, helping avoid clipping. It
> may also actually alter the gain if the first stage. Normal practoce is
> to set the gain there at the start of the session, and then use your DAW
> to control levels in the mix.
>
> Controlling the preamp digitally adds complexity for no reason.
>
> Some microphones have a 10dB pad on the outpout for the same purpose.

There might be some ideas here.

https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=113226.0

Re: Mic preamp gain knobs

<suofqb$i2o$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1618&group=rec.audio.pro#1618

From: ral...@invalid.com (Ralph Barone)
Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2022 16:00:11 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ralph Barone - Fri, 18 Feb 2022 16:00 UTC

Ralph Barone <ralph@invalid.com> wrote:
> John Williamson <johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> wrote:
>> On 17/02/2022 23:51, Tobiah wrote:
>>> My audio interface has one for each mic input.
>>> What would it take for a manufacturer to remove
>>> these knobs from the interface and have that
>>> value be controlled by software instead? What
>>> would the simplest solution be for substituting
>>> digital input for knob twiddling? I guess we're
>>> really tied to the analog world here. Aside from
>>> having a servo turn a pot, how could this be done?
>>>
>> On a lot of mic preamps, the amplifier runs constantly at full gain,and
>> the level control limits the level it sees, helping avoid clipping. It
>> may also actually alter the gain if the first stage. Normal practoce is
>> to set the gain there at the start of the session, and then use your DAW
>> to control levels in the mix.
>>
>> Controlling the preamp digitally adds complexity for no reason.
>>
>> Some microphones have a 10dB pad on the outpout for the same purpose.
>>

> There might be some ideas here.
>
> https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=113226.0

And it appears the old XIcor EEPOTs are discontinued, but you can maybe
still buy something similar.

https://www.renesas.com/us/en/products/analog-products/data-converters/digital-controlled-potentiometers-dcp/x9241a-quad-digital-controlled-potentiometers-xdcp-non-volatilelow-power2-wire64-taps

Re: Mic preamp gain knobs

<9c76f86c-9156-4b98-b364-8249baee4129n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1619&group=rec.audio.pro#1619

Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2022 18:30:18 -0800 (PST)
From: palliso...@gmail.com (palli...@gmail.com)
 by: palli...@gmail.com - Sat, 19 Feb 2022 02:30 UTC

John Williamson wrote:
===================

> On a lot of mic preamps, the amplifier runs constantly at full gain,and
> the level control limits the level it sees, helping avoid clipping.

** Horse poo.

Virtually all mic pres have variable gain.
Typically from 5 times to 1000 times ( 14 to 60dB ).

> It may also actually alter the gain if the first stage.

** Noting "may" about it.

Re: Mic preamp gain knobs

<suuk8r$ebc$1@panix2.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1623&group=rec.audio.pro#1623

From: klu...@panix.com (Scott Dorsey)
Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
Date: 20 Feb 2022 23:52:59 -0000
 by: Scott Dorsey - Sun, 20 Feb 2022 23:52 UTC

In article <sumn1q$1lor$1@gioia.aioe.org>, Tobiah <toby@tobiah.org> wrote:
>My audio interface has one for each mic input.
>What would it take for a manufacturer to remove
>these knobs from the interface and have that
>value be controlled by software instead? What
>would the simplest solution be for substituting
>digital input for knob twiddling? I guess we're
>really tied to the analog world here. Aside from
>having a servo turn a pot, how could this be done?

These days most of the kids are working on crazy low voltage rails and
using Maxim digitally-controlled pots. I strongly advise not using them
inside the preamp feedback loop, though.

The THAT 1580 digitally-controlled preamp IC is a very easy all-in-one
solution, though, and cleaner than most of the standalone digitally-controlled
pots.
--scott

Re: Mic preamp gain knobs

<9o-dnYglBLPfkI7_nZ2dnUU7-T_NnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1626&group=rec.audio.pro#1626

From: info...@notgonnatellya.com (INFOHOU)
Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 21:55:46 -0600
 by: INFOHOU - Mon, 21 Feb 2022 03:55 UTC

On Feb 17, 2022 at 17:51:17 CST, "Tobiah" <toby@tobiah.org> wrote:

> My audio interface has one for each mic input.
> What would it take for a manufacturer to remove
> these knobs from the interface and have that
> value be controlled by software instead? What
> would the simplest solution be for substituting
> digital input for knob twiddling? I guess we're
> really tied to the analog world here. Aside from
> having a servo turn a pot, how could this be done?

The Avid Carbon interface has pres that are controlable from withing Pro
Tools. I believe I can do it with my UA Apollo through their Console app. The
Apollo can also imitate various mic pres. However, the Carbon has better
converters. Not sure my old ears can hear it, but the reviewers claim it. I
definately noticed an increase in clarity on my main system (2019 Mac Pro with
Genelec 8010As/sub) going to the Carbon from a MOTU M2, but I digress.

Hope y'all have some fun,
Robert