From: LDigh...@att.net (Larry Dighera)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.piloting
Subject: GKN and Pratt & Whitney collaborate to develop EWIS for aircraft hybrid demonstrator
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2023 08:36:54 -0700
 by: Larry Dighera - Sat, 23 Sep 2023 15:36 UTC

https://www.aero-mag.com/gkn-and-pratt-whitney-collaborate-to-develop-ewis-for-hybrid-demonstrator

GKN and Pratt & Whitney collaborate to develop EWIS for hybrid demonstrator

The RTX hybrid-electric flight demonstrator

GKN Aerospace has signed an agreement with Pratt & Whitney Canada to
collaborate on the development of the High Voltage High Power electrical
wiring interconnection system (EWIS) for the RTX hybrid-electric flight
demonstrator project.

The agreement involves the development, construction, and installation of
the wiring system of the demonstrator, which is targeting a 30% improvement
in fuel efficiency and reduced CO2 emissions compared to today’s most
advanced regional turboprop aircraft.

The demonstrator’s hybrid-electric propulsion system integrates a highly
efficient Pratt & Whitney fuel-burning engine with a 1 megawatt electric
motor developed by Collins Aerospace. The hybrid-electric system will enable
more efficient engine performance during the different phases of flight,
such as take-off, climb and cruise. Both Pratt & Whitney and Collins
Aerospace are business units of RTX.

GKN Aerospace in the Netherlands will spearhead the development and design
of the High Voltage High Power EWIS for the hybrid-electric propulsion
system. Following the design phase, GKN will assume responsibility for
manufacturing the necessary hardware and installing on the demonstrator
aircraft.

GKN Aerospace is a renowned leader in engine systems and EWIS solutions for
aircraft, with cutting-edge electrical distribution systems powering a
significant number of today’s passenger planes and military aircraft. Its
EWIS centre of excellence in the Netherlands is supported by teams in
locations around the world including in Montreal, Canada, where the
hybrid-electric flight demonstrator project is based.

John Pritchard president civil airframe at GKN Aerospace said: “We are
delighted to collaborate with Pratt & Whitney Canada on this hybrid-electric
flight demonstrator program. This project extends our teamwork in
hybrid-electric propulsion technology, which also encompasses the SWITCH
project, which is backed by the Clean Aviation Joint Undertaking of the
European Union. Pushing the boundaries of technology is in perfect alignment
with our mission to become the most trusted and sustainable partner in the
sky. Companies like Pratt & Whitney will be delivering the solutions that
will enable passengers to travel more sustainably and help deliver net-zero
carbon by 2050.”

Jean Thomassin, executive director new products and services, Pratt &
Whitney Canada said: “Hybrid-electric propulsion technology has the
potential to improve efficiency for a wide range of future aircraft
applications, supporting the industry-wide goal of achieving net-zero CO2
emissions for aviation by 2050. Our collaboration with GKN Aerospace brings
extensive expertise to the project, which will help integrate high voltage
electrical systems on our experimental aircraft, as we target flight testing
to begin in 2024.”

www.gknaerospace.com