From: jaketb...@steak.com (Jake T)
Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
Subject: tidbits
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2022 08:46:52 -0500
 by: Jake T - Mon, 21 Feb 2022 13:46 UTC

No coyotes postings, I promise, but just a note. They hadn't sounded
off for several days, but finally did last night. Still using the H2 as
the H5 doesn't arrive until tomorrow, but decided to try recording with
the compressor off (I think it's called compressor 1 for general use).
Kept the gain around 110. I did enable the general limiter just in case
something got too close, but that was all. Set up an all nighter as
usual in 24 bit/ 44 Khz format.

Well, I really don't see any difference in quality versus using the
compressor. I had to use normalize a few more times than normal in
Audition, but that was about all. None of the coyote soundings were any
threat to 0 dB and mostly lied far below it as usual.

In conclusion, I doubt the H5 is going to make much difference at all
under these conditions. The neighborhood and just general background
noise is above the noise threshold of both units. I suppose I'll find
out pretty soon for sure.

Re: tidbits

<sv1aso$g09$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1633&group=rec.audio.pro#1633

From: jaketb...@steak.com (Jake T)
Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
Subject: Re: tidbits
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2022 19:31:19 -0500
 by: Jake T - Tue, 22 Feb 2022 00:31 UTC

On 2/21/22 08:46, Jake T wrote:
> No coyotes postings, I promise, but just a note.  They hadn't sounded
> off for several days, but finally did last night.  Still using the H2 as
> the H5 doesn't arrive until tomorrow, but decided to try recording with
> the compressor off (I think it's called compressor 1 for general use).
> Kept the gain around 110.  I did enable the general limiter just in case
> something got too close, but that was all.  Set up an all nighter as
> usual in 24 bit/ 44 Khz format.
>
> Well, I really don't see any difference in quality versus using the
> compressor.  I had to use normalize a few more times than normal in
> Audition, but that was about all.  None of the coyote soundings were any
> threat to 0 dB and mostly lied far below it as usual.
>
> In conclusion, I doubt the H5 is going to make much difference at all
> under these conditions.  The neighborhood and just general background
> noise is above the noise threshold of both units.  I suppose I'll find
> out pretty soon for sure.
Well, it's out at the remote spot and running now. Looks like I'm going
to have to make a few changes should I continue using it nightly.
Having a horizontal instead of vertical orientation like the H2 had
means I need to better separate the unit and tripod quick slider bracket
distance, otherwise it's going to be more difficult to install the
deadcat and heater tape than with the H2. Also, I'm going to have to
look for a way to better secure the deadcat. If there's a more robust
wind, I can see the wind taking it off and it ending up behind the
locked gate, access of which I might not easily have. I may have to put
stretch ties around it and the unit or something similar.
Recording at near max gain, comp1 engaged, but also making a no
treatment back up file. In the morning, we'll see how everything went.
I'm curious to see if in fact its lower noise threshold than the H2
will make any difference.