From: nos...@example.invalid (tb)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Search Engine
Date: Thu, 27 May 2021 18:51:51 -0000 (UTC)
 by: tb - Thu, 27 May 2021 18:51 UTC

What is your favorite online search engine for researching the
availability of Android cell phones? I mean a search engine that would
let me enter the hardware/software specs about the kind of cell phone
that I want to buy, and out comes a list of what is available on the
U.S. market.

--
tb

Re: Search Engine

<fseuz1ll664.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16289&group=comp.mobile.android#16289

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Search Engine
Date: Thu, 27 May 2021 14:59:53 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Thu, 27 May 2021 19:59 UTC

tb <nospam@example.invalid> wrote:

> What is your favorite online search engine for researching the
> availability of Android cell phones? I mean a search engine that would
> let me enter the hardware/software specs about the kind of cell phone
> that I want to buy, and out comes a list of what is available on the
> U.S. market.

I just do an online search, usually with Google, and often I get hits at
gsmarena (https://www.gsmarena.com/). Try GSMarena to see if their
search gets what you want.

Re: Search Engine

<eli$2105271611@qaz.wtf>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16290&group=comp.mobile.android#16290

From: *...@eli.users.panix.com (Eli the Bearded)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 27 May 2021 20:11:32 +0000 (UTC)
 by: Eli the Bearded - Thu, 27 May 2021 20:11 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, tb <nospam@example.invalid> wrote:
> What is your favorite online search engine for researching the
> availability of Android cell phones? I mean a search engine that would
> let me enter the hardware/software specs about the kind of cell phone
> that I want to buy, and out comes a list of what is available on the
> U.S. market.

I don't think any such thing exists. There are too many choices out
there. I spent a long time researching my current phone because I
couldn't find any single location that had everything I wanted to know.

In particular, for me, I want extreme ruggedness. Falls on concrete
shouldn't harm the phone and use (at least for photos) underwater, in
salt water, should be completely harmless. I'm not a diver, so I'm not
in deep water, but a regular shallow soak needs to be expected. Dust
protection is nice, but I'm not regularly exposed to nasty dust. I don't
like any of the waterproof phone cases I've seen, so I stick to devices
that provide it unassisted. These requirements come from a couple of
decades of devices (cameras, PDAs, etc) that I've used as everyday
carries. Twenty years ago I couldn't take photos underwater at the
beach, but then I could and I'm not willing to go back to carrying an
everyday camera that can't do that.

But any time I've seen a way to compare features of phones, there's
been so few models or so much detail about the models omitted that it's
been useless to me. In particular, rugged phones are too niche to make
most Android comparision tools.

I'd welcome being proven wrong, but I'm not expecting it.

Elijah
------
also wants to know "ease of rooting" but doesn't care about headphone jacks

Re: Search Engine

<18w6lcjvrh1h7$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16291&group=comp.mobile.android#16291

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 27 May 2021 15:30:19 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Thu, 27 May 2021 20:30 UTC

VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:

> tb <nospam@example.invalid> wrote:
>
>> What is your favorite online search engine for researching the
>> availability of Android cell phones? I mean a search engine that would
>> let me enter the hardware/software specs about the kind of cell phone
>> that I want to buy, and out comes a list of what is available on the
>> U.S. market.
>
> I just do an online search, usually with Google, and often I get hits at
> gsmarena (https://www.gsmarena.com/). Try GSMarena to see if their
> search gets what you want.

To update, I've used GSMarena to tell me about a phone where I already
know the brand and model. I haven't bothered doing the search the other
way around, especially since such a matrix of features across all past
and current models would be far too huge for me to view and use.

computers / comp.mobile.android / Search Engine