From: benli...@ihug.co.nz (Ross Clark)
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Subject: Good...uria
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2023 15:33:21 +1200
 by: Ross Clark - Fri, 9 Jun 2023 03:33 UTC

Strange name for a boat, but it does exist:

https://www.booking.com/hotel/it/good-uria.en-gb.html

It turned up in our local paper last Saturday in a story about a boat
mishap on Lago Maggiore in which four people were drowned.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-65788462

I won't go into why this was of more than local interest. But both the
above story and the one I read (from NY Times) explained that the boat's
name was a play on words involving an Italian word for "pleasure".

Sorry, I still don't get it. Can somebody give a better explanation?
Closest I can get to an idea is Italian lussuria 'lust' (according to my
cheap dictionary). Is that it? Why the "good", and why the ellipsis?

Re: Good...uria

<e8ae03e9-9a4b-4e3c-a0bd-bf7a2a7e6a70n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=16322&group=sci.lang#16322

Newsgroups: sci.lang
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2023 13:15:04 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Good...uria
From: henha...@gmail.com (henh...@gmail.com)
 by: henh...@gmail.com - Fri, 9 Jun 2023 20:15 UTC

On Thursday, June 8, 2023 at 8:33:29 PM UTC-7, Ross Clark wrote:
> Strange name for a boat, but it does exist:
>
> https://www.booking.com/hotel/it/good-uria.en-gb.html
>
> It turned up in our local paper last Saturday in a story about a boat
> mishap on Lago Maggiore in which four people were drowned.
>
> https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-65788462
>
> I won't go into why this was of more than local interest. But both the
> above story and the one I read (from NY Times) explained that the boat's
> name was a play on words involving an Italian word for "pleasure".
>
> Sorry, I still don't get it. Can somebody give a better explanation?
> Closest I can get to an idea is Italian lussuria 'lust' (according to my
> cheap dictionary). Is that it? Why the "good", and why the ellipsis?

7 days ago — Theories abounded about what the group was actually doing on the boat, called the “Good…uria,” a pun on the Italian phrase for pleasure.

_______________________________________
A boat is named “Good…uria” (a pun on the Italian phrase for pleasure) -- please explain this! What is the Italian phrase?

AI
Certainly! The Italian phrase for pleasure is "Buon piacere". The boat's name "Good...uria" is a play on words, where "Good" replaces "Buon" and "uria" is added to the end to create a unique and memorable name.

____________________________

i don't get it.... but maybe there is nothing more than that !

all the pleasures of London === tutti i divertimenti di Londra

is this trip for business or pleasure? === è un viaggio d’affari o di piacere?

Re: Good...uria

<b4g88idh6gk5j25bpgbe1opc7boelucppi@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=16324&group=sci.lang#16324

From: rh...@rudhar.com (Ruud Harmsen)
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2023 11:22:06 +0200
 by: Ruud Harmsen - Sat, 10 Jun 2023 09:22 UTC

Fri, 9 Jun 2023 15:33:21 +1200: Ross Clark <benlizro@ihug.co.nz>
scribeva:

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/italian-english/goduria
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/goduria

--
Ruud Harmsen, https://rudhar.com

Re: Good...uria

<u61hha$293ij$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=16325&group=sci.lang#16325

From: benli...@ihug.co.nz (Ross Clark)
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2023 21:58:59 +1200
 by: Ross Clark - Sat, 10 Jun 2023 09:58 UTC

On 10/06/2023 9:22 p.m., Ruud Harmsen wrote:
> Fri, 9 Jun 2023 15:33:21 +1200: Ross Clark <benlizro@ihug.co.nz>
> scribeva:
>
>> Strange name for a boat, but it does exist:
>>
>> https://www.booking.com/hotel/it/good-uria.en-gb.html
>>
>> It turned up in our local paper last Saturday in a story about a boat
>> mishap on Lago Maggiore in which four people were drowned.
>>
>> https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-65788462
>>
>> I won't go into why this was of more than local interest. But both the
>> above story and the one I read (from NY Times) explained that the boat's
>> name was a play on words involving an Italian word for "pleasure".
>>
>> Sorry, I still don't get it. Can somebody give a better explanation?
>> Closest I can get to an idea is Italian lussuria 'lust' (according to my
>> cheap dictionary). Is that it? Why the "good", and why the ellipsis?
>
> https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/italian-english/goduria
> https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/goduria

That's it! Thanks!

My cheap dictionary does not have goduria, but does have the base verb
godere (Lat gaudere, which we were taught to translate as "rejoice").

I see that Wiktionary, in addition to "enjoy, take pleasure (in)" has
sense 4 "(intransitive, slang) to have an orgasm; to cum". I had been
toying with the idea that this might have some connection to Fr
jouissance 'enjoyment, pleasure; (also) orgasm', a term much enjoyed by
some literary theorists. And indeed, jouir < Lat gaudire = gaudere,
though the morphology of the noun is different.

I'm still a bit puzzled by the ...; I think a simple hyphen would be
more suitable for this interlingual play-word.

Re: Good...uria

<ki798ip7v8nmjofdf17nv474f0k64mdlf9@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=16326&group=sci.lang#16326

From: rh...@rudhar.com (Ruud Harmsen)
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2023 18:03:42 +0200
 by: Ruud Harmsen - Sat, 10 Jun 2023 16:03 UTC

Sat, 10 Jun 2023 21:58:59 +1200: Ross Clark <benlizro@ihug.co.nz>
scribeva:

>On 10/06/2023 9:22 p.m., Ruud Harmsen wrote:
>> Fri, 9 Jun 2023 15:33:21 +1200: Ross Clark <benlizro@ihug.co.nz>
>> scribeva:
>>
>>> Strange name for a boat, but it does exist:
>>>
>>> https://www.booking.com/hotel/it/good-uria.en-gb.html
>>>
>>> It turned up in our local paper last Saturday in a story about a boat
>>> mishap on Lago Maggiore in which four people were drowned.
>>>
>>> https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-65788462
>>>
>>> I won't go into why this was of more than local interest. But both the
>>> above story and the one I read (from NY Times) explained that the boat's
>>> name was a play on words involving an Italian word for "pleasure".
>>>
>>> Sorry, I still don't get it. Can somebody give a better explanation?
>>> Closest I can get to an idea is Italian lussuria 'lust' (according to my
>>> cheap dictionary). Is that it? Why the "good", and why the ellipsis?
>>
>> https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/italian-english/goduria
>> https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/goduria

>That's it! Thanks!

I had no idea myself, but I suddenly thought "what if Italian has such
a word?" and googled it.

>My cheap dictionary does not have goduria, but does have the base verb
>godere (Lat gaudere, which we were taught to translate as "rejoice").

Gauder e gaudio anque existe in interlingua, but I didn't find a way
to form a similar word as Italian goduria.

>I see that Wiktionary, in addition to "enjoy, take pleasure (in)" has
>sense 4 "(intransitive, slang) to have an orgasm; to cum". I had been
>toying with the idea that this might have some connection to Fr
>jouissance 'enjoyment, pleasure; (also) orgasm', a term much enjoyed by
>some literary theorists. And indeed, jouir < Lat gaudire = gaudere,
>though the morphology of the noun is different.
>
>I'm still a bit puzzled by the ...; I think a simple hyphen would be
>more suitable for this interlingual play-word.

--
Ruud Harmsen, https://rudhar.com

Re: Good...uria

<53b60912-af48-42c2-b9b4-232d295d6ce9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=16329&group=sci.lang#16329

Newsgroups: sci.lang
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2023 10:39:23 -0700 (PDT)
From: henha...@gmail.com (henh...@gmail.com)
 by: henh...@gmail.com - Sat, 10 Jun 2023 17:39 UTC

On Saturday, June 10, 2023 at 2:59:09 AM UTC-7, Ross Clark wrote:
> On 10/06/2023 9:22 p.m., Ruud Harmsen wrote:
> > Fri, 9 Jun 2023 15:33:21 +1200: Ross Clark <benl...@ihug.co.nz>
> > scribeva:
> >
> >> Strange name for a boat, but it does exist:
> >>
> >> https://www.booking.com/hotel/it/good-uria.en-gb.html
> >>
> >> It turned up in our local paper last Saturday in a story about a boat
> >> mishap on Lago Maggiore in which four people were drowned.
> >>
> >> https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-65788462
> >>
> >> I won't go into why this was of more than local interest. But both the
> >> above story and the one I read (from NY Times) explained that the boat's
> >> name was a play on words involving an Italian word for "pleasure".
> >>
> >> Sorry, I still don't get it. Can somebody give a better explanation?
> >> Closest I can get to an idea is Italian lussuria 'lust' (according to my
> >> cheap dictionary). Is that it? Why the "good", and why the ellipsis?
> >
> > https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/italian-english/goduria
> > https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/goduria
> >
> That's it! Thanks!
>
> My cheap dictionary does not have goduria, but does have the base verb
> godere (Lat gaudere, which we were taught to translate as "rejoice").
>
> I see that Wiktionary, in addition to "enjoy, take pleasure (in)" has
> sense 4 "(intransitive, slang) to have an orgasm; to cum". I had been
> toying with the idea that this might have some connection to Fr
> jouissance 'enjoyment, pleasure; (also) orgasm', a term much enjoyed by
> some literary theorists. And indeed, jouir < Lat gaudire = gaudere,
> though the morphology of the noun is different.
>
> I'm still a bit puzzled by the ...; I think a simple hyphen would be
> more suitable for this interlingual play-word.

Gaudeamus igitur, iuvenes dum sumus.

jouissance -- a Lacanian keyword (cf. Zizek)

jouissance (enjoyment, pleasure; (also) orgasm) -- my 1st guesses involved the word Dildo

Good...uria --- Good-uria -------------- a hyphen is too precise, busness-like , geeky-nerdy

The ellipsis (...) is more playful... much used... in... cartoon bubbles

Gooduria

The ellipsis (...) is ignored, omitted in :
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Maggiore_boat_incident

> On May 28, 2023, houseboat Gooduria capsized in the Northern Italian Lake Maggiore, killing four people amongst the twenty-three on board.[1][2] The incident attracted attention when it became clear that almost all of the people on board were associated with the Italian and Israeli national intelligence agencies.[3][4]

Re: Good...uria

<8dd999f0-977b-463f-9773-34daa6ee95een@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=16330&group=sci.lang#16330

Newsgroups: sci.lang
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2023 11:47:21 -0700 (PDT)
From: henha...@gmail.com (henh...@gmail.com)
 by: henh...@gmail.com - Sat, 10 Jun 2023 18:47 UTC

What's a good expression or proverb (in any language) that contains Urine, Urination, Pissing... ?

........ the suffix "-uria" means "condition of urine" or "intensity of urine." It's often used in medical terminology to describe the color and density of urine. <------------- Is this true???

jouissance (enjoyment, pleasure; orgasm) -- my 1st guesses involved the word Dildo... and Urine -- Urination

(Urea is a major organic component found in human urine, which is a waste product expelled by animals after being excreted from the kidneys. Urea, also known as carbamide, is a waste product after the production of proteins from the breakdown of amino acids.)

What does a doctor hope to gain from a urine test? -----------> Whizdom

I heard a large oil company is making fuel out of bug urine... I think it’s BP.

[Are you the one who signed up for the pee drinking club ? Because if so, urine.]

What do you call a squirt gun with urine in it? --------- A piss-tol !

Son: Dad! Why are you drinking urine ! ?
Dad: It’s not URine it’s MYine!