Necessity hath no law. -- Oliver Cromwell

interests / sci.anthropology.paleo / Homo medicus :-DDD

SubjectAuthor
* Homo medicus :-DDDlittor...@gmail.com
`- Re: Homo medicus :-DDDJTEM is so reasonable

1
Homo medicus :-DDD

<a28edf0b-0170-4b22-813e-a93730b3737cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=16404&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#16404

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2023 06:37:29 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Homo medicus :-DDD
From: littoral...@gmail.com (littor...@gmail.com)
 by: littor...@gmail.com - Fri, 3 Mar 2023 14:37 UTC

Recent paper doi org/10.1002/ajpa.24718:
"Homo medicus: the transition to meat eating increased pathogen pressure and the use of pharmacological plants in Homo"
The human lineage transitioned to a more carnivorous niche 2.6 Ma (:-DDD What idiot believes this fantasy?? --mv) and evolved a large body size (gorilla=meat-eater?? --mv) & slower life history(??? --mv), which likely(??? --mv) increased zoonotic pathogen pressure. Evidence(??? --mv) for this increase includes increased zoonotic infections in modern(late-Pleist. --mv) hunter-gatherers & bushmeat hunters,(recent --mv) exceptionally low stomach pH vs other primates, and divergence in immune-related genes. These all point to change, and probably intensification, in the infectious disease environment of Homo(late-Pleist.H.sapiens --mv) vs earlier hominins & other apes. At the same time, the brain, an organ in which immune responses are constrained, began to triple in size.(began?? 2 Ma! =seafood+DHA --mv) We propose(??? :-DDD --mv): the combination of increased zoonotic pathogen pressure + the challenges of defending a large brain & body from pathogens in a long-lived mammal selected for intensification of the plant-based self-medication strategies already in place in apes & other primates. In support, there is evidence of medicinal plant use by mid-Paleolithic hominins, all cultures today have sophisticated plant-based medical systems, add spices to food, and regularly consume psycho-active plant substances harmful to helminths & other pathogens.(of course: post-aquatic --mv) We propose(:-DDD --mv): the computational challenges of discovering effective plant-based treatments, the consequent ability to consume more energy-rich animal foods, and the reduced reliance on energetically-costly immune responses helped select for increased cognitive abilities & unique exchange relationships in Homo. In the story of human evolution, which has long emphasized(yes, there are a lotof idiots who emphasize that... :-DDD --mv) hunting skills, medical skills had an equal role to play.

:-DDD
How can self-declared 'scientists" remain so stupid stupid stupid???

Re: Homo medicus :-DDD

<c78f4317-56dc-4073-99a6-473c58a55d9bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=16405&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#16405

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2023 07:02:38 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Homo medicus :-DDD
From: jte...@gmail.com (JTEM is so reasonable)
 by: JTEM is so reasonabl - Fri, 3 Mar 2023 15:02 UTC

littor...@gmail.com wrote:
> Recent paper doi org/10.1002/ajpa.24718:
> "Homo medicus: the transition to meat eating increased pathogen pressure and the use of pharmacological plants in Homo"
> The human lineage transitioned to a more carnivorous niche 2.6 Ma (:-DDD What idiot believes this fantasy?? --mv) and evolved a large body size (gorilla=meat-eater?? --mv)

Elephants, Girafes...

When I went to school we were taught that "Size is a defense." That, you
get big enough and you write off a slew of species from preying on you.

But...

Size can also be an indication of a species that is in competition with itself.

Gorilla males "Rule the roost," so to speak, until they are knocked off by
larger/stronger Gorilla. So selective pressures are on larger and stronger.

A high protein diet is going to allow Aquatic Ape to grow just as large as
genetics will allow but where's the selective pressure coming from?

can see an argument for taller. The taller you are the further out from shore
you can wade without having to dive under. This leaves your hands free, like
to carry things... babies, spears, anything you want to keep...

So it could be as simple as that: The taller they got, the more efficiently they
could exploit a stretch of coast... or move across water barriers.

-- --

https://jtem.tumblr.com/post/64981705691