Intellect annuls Fate. So far as a man thinks, he is free. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

interests / sci.anthropology.paleo / Hypersalinity drives convergent bone mass increases

SubjectAuthor
* Hypersalinity drives convergent bone mass increaseslittor...@gmail.com
`* Re: Hypersalinity drives convergent bone mass increasesPandora
 +- Re: Hypersalinity drives convergent bone mass increasesJTEM is so reasonable
 `* Re: Hypersalinity drives convergent bone mass increaseslittor...@gmail.com
  `* Re: Hypersalinity drives convergent bone mass increasesPandora
   `* Re: Hypersalinity drives convergent bone mass increaseslittor...@gmail.com
    `* Re: Hypersalinity drives convergent bone mass increasesPandora
     `* Re: Hypersalinity drives convergent bone mass increaseslittor...@gmail.com
      `* Re: Hypersalinity drives convergent bone mass increasesPandora
       `- Re: Hypersalinity drives convergent bone mass increaseslittor...@gmail.com

1
Hypersalinity drives convergent bone mass increases

<d0e38fa4-f030-4462-9885-a204da0393abn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=16424&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#16424

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2023 06:22:51 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Hypersalinity drives convergent bone mass increases
From: littoral...@gmail.com (littor...@gmail.com)
 by: littor...@gmail.com - Sun, 5 Mar 2023 14:22 UTC

Hypersalinity drives convergent bone mass increases in Miocene marine mammals from the Paratethys
Alexandra Houssaye cs 2022 Curr.Biol.32:R42-R44
doi org/10.1016/j.cub.2021.10.065

• Miocene marine mammals from the Para-tethys Sea often have highly compact bones.
• Dense bones evolved independently in Para-tethyan whales, dolphins & seals.
• Bone mass increase may have begun as an adaptation to regional hyper-salinity.
• Para-tethyan marine mammals persisted, despite being isolated from the world ocean.

Pachy-osteo-sclerosis (POS creates dense, bulky bones) often characterizes the early evolution of secondarily aquatic tetrapods (whales, dolphins), but then usu.fades away, as swimming efficiency increases.
Here, we document a remarkable reversal of this pattern: the convergent re-emergence of bone densification in Miocene seals, dolphins & whales from the epi-continental Paratethys Sea (E-Europe, C-Asia).
This phenomenon was driven by imbalanced remodeling & inhibited resorption of primary trabeculae,
it coincided with hyper-saline conditions (the Badenian salinity crisis) that affected the C-Paratethys 13.8-13.4 Ma.
Dense bones acting as ballast would have facilitated efficient swimming in the denser & more buoyant water, and hence were likely adaptive in this setting.
From the C-Paratethys, POS subsequently spread E.ward, where it became a defining feature of the endemic late-Miocene whale assemblage.

Pleistocene H.erectus also evolved POS: apparently, they were slow+shallow divers for sessile seafoods, probably mostly shellfish:
- DHA & larger brain,
- stone tool use,
- shellfish engravings google "Joordens Munro".

Re: Hypersalinity drives convergent bone mass increases

<i5e90itmidup4benn54v540vks4a05c8em@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=16425&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#16425

From: pand...@knoware.nl (Pandora)
Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2023 16:43:50 +0100
 by: Pandora - Sun, 5 Mar 2023 15:43 UTC

On Sun, 5 Mar 2023 06:22:51 -0800 (PST), "littor...@gmail.com"
<littoral.homo@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hypersalinity drives convergent bone mass increases in Miocene marine mammals from the Paratethys
>Alexandra Houssaye cs 2022 Curr.Biol.32:R42-R44
>doi org/10.1016/j.cub.2021.10.065
>
>• Miocene marine mammals from the Para-tethys Sea often have highly compact bones.
>• Dense bones evolved independently in Para-tethyan whales, dolphins & seals.
>• Bone mass increase may have begun as an adaptation to regional hyper-salinity.
>• Para-tethyan marine mammals persisted, despite being isolated from the world ocean.
>
>Pachy-osteo-sclerosis (POS creates dense, bulky bones) often characterizes the early evolution of secondarily aquatic tetrapods (whales, dolphins), but then usu.fades away, as swimming efficiency increases.
>Here, we document a remarkable reversal of this pattern: the convergent re-emergence of bone densification in Miocene seals, dolphins & whales from the epi-continental Paratethys Sea (E-Europe, C-Asia).
>This phenomenon was driven by imbalanced remodeling & inhibited resorption of primary trabeculae,
>it coincided with hyper-saline conditions (the Badenian salinity crisis) that affected the C-Paratethys 13.8-13.4 Ma.
>Dense bones acting as ballast would have facilitated efficient swimming in the denser & more buoyant water, and hence were likely adaptive in this setting.
>From the C-Paratethys, POS subsequently spread E.ward, where it became a defining feature of the endemic late-Miocene whale assemblage.

So there is a correlation between hypersalinity and POS in known
marine mammals, cetaceans and pinnipeds.
So far so good.

>Pleistocene H.erectus also evolved POS: apparently, they were slow+shallow divers for sessile seafoods, probably mostly shellfish:

No Homo erectus fossil has ever been recovered from sediments that
indicate hypersaline marine conditions.

>- DHA & larger brain,
>- stone tool use,

I don't recall that stone tools are exclusive to marine exploitation.
Early Oldowan tools suggest animal butchery in a freshwater
environment:
https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.abo7452

>- shellfish engravings google "Joordens Munro".

"we found evidence for freshwater shellfish consumption by hominins"
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/269102248_Homo_Erectus_at_Trinil_on_Java_Used_Shells_for_Tool_Production_and_Engraving

That's not sea food.

Re: Hypersalinity drives convergent bone mass increases

<a999e087-ebb5-468b-9799-8e7722367d48n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=16430&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#16430

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2023 16:46:18 -0800 (PST)
From: jte...@gmail.com (JTEM is so reasonable)
 by: JTEM is so reasonabl - Mon, 6 Mar 2023 00:46 UTC

Pandora wrote:

> No Homo erectus fossil has ever been recovered from sediments that
> indicate hypersaline marine conditions.

So what you're saying is that it's no coincidence what so ever that putting
"Paleo" before "Anthropology" has the same result as putting "Biblical"
before "Archaeology."

Good. This is good. You're recognizing one of the key issues here, what
excludes paleo anthropology from ever being considered a real science:

The Sample/Selection/Preservation bias.

> >- DHA & larger brain,
> >- stone tool use,

> I don't recall that stone tools are exclusive to marine exploitation.

You're an obstructionist. You're not here to discuss ideas but to stop
discussion.

This is a trait of narcissists, btw. They tend to try to end -- obstruct --
any exchange they can't control. This is something that should worry
you.

Because it's not about what you recall, it's about a culmination of
evidence. It's not where you can find any one piece of the puzzle, it's
where the pieces come together.

The DHA thing is complete. It's done. We need DHA in our model.

Without DHA we don't have our ancestors growing bigger & smarter
brains...

-- --

https://jtem.tumblr.com/post/710425976700649472

Re: Hypersalinity drives convergent bone mass increases

<d9335a64-b48e-4911-bb09-2f61af046678n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=16432&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#16432

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2023 04:00:01 -0800 (PST)
From: littoral...@gmail.com (littor...@gmail.com)
 by: littor...@gmail.com - Mon, 6 Mar 2023 12:00 UTC

> >Hypersalinity drives convergent bone mass increases in Miocene marine mammals from the Paratethys
> >Alexandra Houssaye cs 2022 Curr.Biol.32:R42-R44
> >doi org/10.1016/j.cub.2021.10.065
> >• Miocene marine mammals from the Para-tethys Sea often have highly compact bones.
> >• Dense bones evolved independently in Para-tethyan whales, dolphins & seals.
> >• Bone mass increase may have begun as an adaptation to regional hyper-salinity.
> >• Para-tethyan marine mammals persisted, despite being isolated from the world ocean.
> >Pachy-osteo-sclerosis (POS creates dense, bulky bones) often characterizes the early evolution of secondarily aquatic tetrapods (whales, dolphins), but then usu.fades away, as swimming efficiency increases.
> >Here, we document a remarkable reversal of this pattern: the convergent re-emergence of bone densification in Miocene seals, dolphins & whales from the epi-continental Paratethys Sea (E-Europe, C-Asia).
> >This phenomenon was driven by imbalanced remodeling & inhibited resorption of primary trabeculae,
> >it coincided with hyper-saline conditions (Badenian salinity crisis, C-Paratethys 13.8-13.4 Ma).
> >Dense bones acting as ballast would have facilitated efficient swimming in the denser & more buoyant water, and hence were likely adaptive in this setting.
> >From the C-Paratethys, POS subsequently spread E.ward, where it became a defining feature of the endemic late-Miocene whale assemblage.

Kudu runner:

> So there is a correlation between hypersalinity and POS in known
> marine mammals, cetaceans and pinnipeds. So far so good.

Good boy, you're improving... :-)

> >Pleistocene H.erectus also evolved POS: apparently, they were slow+shallow divers for sessile seafoods, probably mostly shellfish:

> No Homo erectus fossil has ever been recovered from sediments that
> indicate hypersaline marine conditions.

:-D Making up your own nonsense, my little boy?? <inform a bit before speaking,
e.g. José Joordens 2011 "The power of place" Free Univ.A'dam.

> >- DHA & larger brain,
> >- stone tool use,

> I don't recall that stone tools are exclusive to marine exploitation.
> Early Oldowan tools suggest animal butchery in a freshwater
> environment:
> https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.abo7452

Yes, thanks, my little boy, again:
we're saying:
our ancestors spread along the seas & from the coasts followed therviers inlands.
Perhaps too difficult for ouw boy?

> >- shellfish engravings google "Joordens Munro".
> "we found evidence for freshwater shellfish consumption by hominins"
> https://www.researchgate.net/publication/269102248_Homo_Erectus_at_Trinil_on_Java_Used_Shells_for_Tool_Production_and_Engraving

> That's not sea food.

:-DDD
Now the kudu runner want us to believe shells grow in his savanna... :-DDD
Grow up, my little little boy.

Re: Hypersalinity drives convergent bone mass increases

<mt0c0i5a1uq6991bjc9ugv5qnvgt90pihc@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=16437&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#16437

From: pand...@knoware.nl (Pandora)
Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2023 16:16:10 +0100
 by: Pandora - Mon, 6 Mar 2023 15:16 UTC

On Mon, 6 Mar 2023 04:00:01 -0800 (PST), "littor...@gmail.com"
<littoral.homo@gmail.com> wrote:

>> >Hypersalinity drives convergent bone mass increases in Miocene marine mammals from the Paratethys
>> >Alexandra Houssaye cs 2022 Curr.Biol.32:R42-R44
>> >doi org/10.1016/j.cub.2021.10.065
>> >• Miocene marine mammals from the Para-tethys Sea often have highly compact bones.
>> >• Dense bones evolved independently in Para-tethyan whales, dolphins & seals.
>> >• Bone mass increase may have begun as an adaptation to regional hyper-salinity.
>> >• Para-tethyan marine mammals persisted, despite being isolated from the world ocean.
>> >Pachy-osteo-sclerosis (POS creates dense, bulky bones) often characterizes the early evolution of secondarily aquatic tetrapods (whales, dolphins), but then usu.fades away, as swimming efficiency increases.
>> >Here, we document a remarkable reversal of this pattern: the convergent re-emergence of bone densification in Miocene seals, dolphins & whales from the epi-continental Paratethys Sea (E-Europe, C-Asia).
>> >This phenomenon was driven by imbalanced remodeling & inhibited resorption of primary trabeculae,
>> >it coincided with hyper-saline conditions (Badenian salinity crisis, C-Paratethys 13.8-13.4 Ma).
>> >Dense bones acting as ballast would have facilitated efficient swimming in the denser & more buoyant water, and hence were likely adaptive in this setting.
>> >From the C-Paratethys, POS subsequently spread E.ward, where it became a defining feature of the endemic late-Miocene whale assemblage.
>
>> So there is a correlation between hypersalinity and POS in known
>> marine mammals, cetaceans and pinnipeds. So far so good.
>
>Good boy, you're improving... :-)

Of course cetaceans and pinnipeds also show a lot of other distinctly
aquatic adaptations that makes them immediately recognizable as such.
Pleistocene Homo erectus didn't have flippers.

>> >Pleistocene H.erectus also evolved POS: apparently, they were slow+shallow divers for sessile seafoods, probably mostly shellfish:
>
>> No Homo erectus fossil has ever been recovered from sediments that
>> indicate hypersaline marine conditions.
>
>:-D Making up your own nonsense, my little boy?? <inform a bit before speaking,
>e.g. José Joordens 2011 "The power of place" Free Univ.A'dam.

Name one specimen of Homo erectus/ergaster that was recovered from
marine sediments.

>> >- DHA & larger brain,
>> >- stone tool use,
>
>> I don't recall that stone tools are exclusive to marine exploitation.
>> Early Oldowan tools suggest animal butchery in a freshwater
>> environment:
>> https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.abo7452
>
>Yes, thanks, my little boy, again:
>we're saying:
>our ancestors spread along the seas & from the coasts followed therviers inlands.
>Perhaps too difficult for ouw boy?

Too speculative.

>> >- shellfish engravings google "Joordens Munro".
>> "we found evidence for freshwater shellfish consumption by hominins"
>> https://www.researchgate.net/publication/269102248_Homo_Erectus_at_Trinil_on_Java_Used_Shells_for_Tool_Production_and_Engraving
>
>> That's not sea food.
>
>:-DDD
>Now the kudu runner want us to believe shells grow in his savanna... :-DDD

See the Mara River Biodiversity Report:
https://www.wwfkenya.org/mara_river_biodiversity_report/

The Mara River is the main water channel in the Serengeti-Mara savanna
ecosystem. It has several species of river mussels.

Re: Hypersalinity drives convergent bone mass increases

<25575973-af12-4c0a-aa2e-76e65dd269d3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=16438&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#16438

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2023 09:58:58 -0800 (PST)
From: littoral...@gmail.com (littor...@gmail.com)
 by: littor...@gmail.com - Mon, 6 Mar 2023 17:58 UTC

Kudu runner:

> >> So there is a correlation between hypersalinity and POS in known
> >> marine mammals, cetaceans and pinnipeds. So far so good.

> >Good boy, you're improving... :-)

> Of course cetaceans and pinnipeds also show a lot of other distinctly
> aquatic adaptations that makes them immediately recognizable as such.
> Pleistocene Homo erectus didn't have flippers.

Only incredible imbeciles believe flat feet are for running.
Aquarboreal, my little boy!

> >> No Homo erectus fossil has ever been recovered from sediments that
> >> indicate hypersaline marine conditions.

> >:-D Making up your own nonsense, my little boy?? Inform a bit before speaking,
> >e.g. José Joordens 2011 "The power of place" Free Univ.A'dam.

> Name one specimen of Homo erectus/ergaster that was recovered from
> marine sediments.

Too lazy to look it, my little boy?
It's your problem, not mine:
e.g. José Joordens 2011 "The power of place" Free Univ.A'dam.
Never heard of Mojokerto, my little boy?? ever heard of barnacles?? corals??
Never heard of Sangiran (skull 17)??

> >> I don't recall that stone tools are exclusive to marine exploitation.
> >> Early Oldowan tools suggest animal butchery in a freshwater
> >> environment:
> >> https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.abo7452

> >Yes, thanks, my little boy, again:
> >we're saying:
> >our ancestors spread along the seas & from the coasts followed therviers inlands.
> >Perhaps too difficult for our boy?

> Too speculative.

said the kudu runner... :-DDD
Waste your own time, my boy.

Re: Hypersalinity drives convergent bone mass increases

<dv2e0ih3ir5kej5f93pocab2qhfkfgcgpd@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=16444&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#16444

From: pand...@knoware.nl (Pandora)
Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2023 11:04:05 +0100
 by: Pandora - Tue, 7 Mar 2023 10:04 UTC

On Mon, 6 Mar 2023 09:58:58 -0800 (PST), "littor...@gmail.com"

>> >Good boy, you're improving... :-)
>
>> Of course cetaceans and pinnipeds also show a lot of other distinctly
>> aquatic adaptations that makes them immediately recognizable as such.
>> Pleistocene Homo erectus didn't have flippers.
>
>Only incredible imbeciles believe flat feet are for running.

Again, the human foot is not flat, it's arched (flatfoot is a
pathological condition), and as such it is a marvel of spring-lever
engineering. See for example:
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/19354007_The_spring_in_the_arch_of_the_human_foot

Now all you have to do is attach this structure to long legs to
increase stride length.

>Aquarboreal, my little boy!

>> >:-D Making up your own nonsense, my little boy?? Inform a bit before speaking,
>> >e.g. José Joordens 2011 "The power of place" Free Univ.A'dam.
>
>> Name one specimen of Homo erectus/ergaster that was recovered from
>> marine sediments.
>
>Too lazy to look it, my little boy?
>It's your problem, not mine:
>e.g. José Joordens 2011 "The power of place" Free Univ.A'dam.
>Never heard of Mojokerto, my little boy?? ever heard of barnacles?? corals??

"The relocated discovery bed is ~3.3 m of fossiliferous pebbly
sandstone, a river-channel deposit cut into tuffaceous mudstone. The
sandstone and mudstone beds correspond to original site descriptions.
Pebbly sandstone is also found within the skull.
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhevol.2005.11.002

No barnacles, no corals.

>Never heard of Sangiran (skull 17)??

Sangiran 17 derives from fluvial deposits of the Bapang Formation:
https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.081077298

For reconstruction of Sangiran paleoenvironments see:
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/23472350

"By 1.5 Ma, large streams filled the lake and the landscape became
more riverine in nature, with riparian forests, savanna, and open
woodland."

Obviously not marine.

Re: Hypersalinity drives convergent bone mass increases

<4338f16b-75b9-42db-83a7-b46f5048b252n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=16448&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#16448

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2023 03:24:14 -0800 (PST)
From: littoral...@gmail.com (littor...@gmail.com)
 by: littor...@gmail.com - Tue, 7 Mar 2023 11:24 UTC

Kudu runner:
> Again, the human foot is not flat,

:-DDD
The savanna fantasts become more+more ridiculous:
Ever seen a horse or dog foot, my little boy?
Ever heard of digitigrady?? unguligrady?? plantigrady??

Sigh.
Waste your own time, e.g. keep running after your kudu...

Re: Hypersalinity drives convergent bone mass increases

<g1je0i5ffr5jq7qljha2ff2dv6tlh7gpon@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=16449&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#16449

From: pand...@knoware.nl (Pandora)
Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2023 15:37:56 +0100
 by: Pandora - Tue, 7 Mar 2023 14:37 UTC

On Tue, 7 Mar 2023 03:24:14 -0800 (PST), "littor...@gmail.com"
<littoral.homo@gmail.com> wrote:

>Kudu runner:
>> Again, the human foot is not flat,
>
>:-DDD
>The savanna fantasts become more+more ridiculous:
>Ever seen a horse or dog foot, my little boy?

Are they bipedal primates?
Mind historical/phylogenetic constraints.

>Ever heard of digitigrady?? unguligrady?? plantigrady??

Sure, I have a copy of "Analysis of Vertebrate Structure" by
Hildebrand and Goslow. See fig. 24.5 in that book:
https://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/2000-03/953863144.Zo.1.gif

Now, watch plantigrade vs unguligrade:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUkB_yKvBHQ

Re: Hypersalinity drives convergent bone mass increases

<d5f7a013-2b9c-436f-bb36-255555d2ccban@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=16453&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#16453

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2023 12:52:25 -0800 (PST)
From: littoral...@gmail.com (littor...@gmail.com)
 by: littor...@gmail.com - Tue, 7 Mar 2023 20:52 UTC

Kudu runner:

> >> Again, the human foot is not flat,

> >:-DDD The savanna fantasts become more+more ridiculous:
> >Ever seen a horse or dog foot, my little boy?

> Are they bipedal primates?

??? Waste your own time, my boy.