From: polco...@gmail.com (olcott)
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Subject: How widely is situational context in discourse analysis accepted?
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 16:09:39 -0500
 by: olcott - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 21:09 UTC

Situational context, or context of situation, refers to the environment,
time and place, etc. in which the discourse occurs, and also the
relationship between the participants. This theory is traditionally
approached through the concept of register, which helps to clarify the
interrelationship of language with context by handling it under three
basic headings: field, tenor, and mode.

https://www.academypublication.com/issues/past/jltr/vol01/06/19.pdf

--
Copyright 2023 Olcott "Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius

Re: How widely is situational context in discourse analysis accepted?

<u8mq0p$3bisq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=16437&group=sci.lang#16437

From: polco...@gmail.com (olcott)
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 13:05:13 -0500
 by: olcott - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 18:05 UTC

On 7/11/2023 4:09 PM, olcott wrote:
> Situational context, or context of situation, refers to the environment,
> time and place, etc. in which the discourse occurs, and also the
> relationship between the participants. This theory is traditionally
> approached through the concept of register, which helps to clarify the
> interrelationship of language with context by handling it under three
> basic headings: field, tenor, and mode.
>
> https://www.academypublication.com/issues/past/jltr/vol01/06/19.pdf

*IS THIS A TRUE STATEMENT*
Within the pragmatics subfield of linguistics it is universally
understood that simply ignoring the situational context of an expression
of language does result in an incorrect interpretation of the meaning of
this expression whenever the meaning derived when the context is ignored
differs from the meaning derived when the context is not ignored.

--
Copyright 2023 Olcott "Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius

Re: How widely is situational context in discourse analysis accepted?

<u8n04m$3c6la$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=16439&group=sci.lang#16439

From: polco...@gmail.com (olcott)
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 14:49:42 -0500
 by: olcott - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 19:49 UTC

On 7/12/2023 1:05 PM, olcott wrote:
> On 7/11/2023 4:09 PM, olcott wrote:
>> Situational context, or context of situation, refers to the
>> environment, time and place, etc. in which the discourse occurs, and
>> also the relationship between the participants. This theory is
>> traditionally approached through the concept of register, which helps
>> to clarify the interrelationship of language with context by handling
>> it under three basic headings: field, tenor, and mode.
>>
>> https://www.academypublication.com/issues/past/jltr/vol01/06/19.pdf
>
> *IS THIS A TRUE STATEMENT*
> Within the pragmatics subfield of linguistics it is universally
> understood that simply ignoring the situational context of an expression
> of language does result in an incorrect interpretation of the meaning of
> this expression whenever the meaning derived when the context is ignored
> differs from the meaning derived when the context is not ignored.

*IS THIS A TRUE STATEMENT* (removed subjectivity from above paragraph)
The pragmatics sub-field of linguistics stipulates that a difference
between the derived meaning from ignoring situational context and not
ignoring it means that situational context cannot be correctly ignored.

--
Copyright 2023 Olcott "Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius