Don't panic.

tech / rec.audio.pro / Re: shipping a heavy Fender Deluxe 85

SubjectAuthor
* shipping a heavy Fender Deluxe 85Bill Saunders
+* Re: shipping a heavy Fender Deluxe 85Scott Dorsey
|`* Re: shipping a heavy Fender Deluxe 85Bill Saunders
| +- Re: shipping a heavy Fender Deluxe 85John Williamson
| `- Re: shipping a heavy Fender Deluxe 85geoff
+- Re: shipping a heavy Fender Deluxe 85Tobiah
+* Re: shipping a heavy Fender Deluxe 85palli...@gmail.com
|`- Re: shipping a heavy Fender Deluxe 85geoff
`* Re: shipping a heavy Fender Deluxe 85Les Cargill
 `* Re: shipping a heavy Fender Deluxe 85palli...@gmail.com
  `* Re: shipping a heavy Fender Deluxe 85geoff
   `* Re: shipping a heavy Fender Deluxe 85Les Cargill
    +* Re: shipping a heavy Fender Deluxe 85geoff
    |`- Re: shipping a heavy Fender Deluxe 85Les Cargill
    `- Re: shipping a heavy Fender Deluxe 85palli...@gmail.com

1
shipping a heavy Fender Deluxe 85

<svnvtm$7oi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1645&group=rec.audio.pro#1645

From: bs1...@aolspam.net (Bill Saunders)
Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
Subject: shipping a heavy Fender Deluxe 85
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2022 09:45:09 -0500
 by: Bill Saunders - Wed, 2 Mar 2022 14:45 UTC

Hi,

I thought that since this an audio group, perhaps you'd be able to
answer this question. I have a heavy, Fender Deluxe 85 guitar amp that
I'd like to sell on eBay. As you know, the dimensions are large as
well. How would I go about shipping this? I am a DIYer, so prefer to
go at it from that angle to save shipping materials cost.

Thank you in advance,
Bill

Re: shipping a heavy Fender Deluxe 85

<svo2u0$4gl$1@panix2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1646&group=rec.audio.pro#1646

From: klu...@panix.com (Scott Dorsey)
Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
Subject: Re: shipping a heavy Fender Deluxe 85
Date: 2 Mar 2022 15:36:32 -0000
 by: Scott Dorsey - Wed, 2 Mar 2022 15:36 UTC

Bill Saunders <bs1094@aolspam.net> wrote:
>I thought that since this an audio group, perhaps you'd be able to
>answer this question. I have a heavy, Fender Deluxe 85 guitar amp that
>I'd like to sell on eBay. As you know, the dimensions are large as
>well. How would I go about shipping this? I am a DIYer, so prefer to
>go at it from that angle to save shipping materials cost.

Crate it.

https://www.instructables.com/Need-to-ship-something-safely-How-to-build-a-custo/

This website uses much more expensive wood than you really need, although
you probably won't find unplaned rough crating stock at one of the big box
stores. You can reuse old crate and pallet wood, though.
--scott

Re: shipping a heavy Fender Deluxe 85

<svo4ma$glr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1647&group=rec.audio.pro#1647

From: bs1...@aolspam.net (Bill Saunders)
Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2022 11:06:33 -0500
 by: Bill Saunders - Wed, 2 Mar 2022 16:06 UTC

On 3/2/22 10:36, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> Bill Saunders <bs1094@aolspam.net> wrote:
>> I thought that since this an audio group, perhaps you'd be able to
>> answer this question. I have a heavy, Fender Deluxe 85 guitar amp that
>> I'd like to sell on eBay. As you know, the dimensions are large as
>> well. How would I go about shipping this? I am a DIYer, so prefer to
>> go at it from that angle to save shipping materials cost.
>
> Crate it.
>
> https://www.instructables.com/Need-to-ship-something-safely-How-to-build-a-custo/
>
> This website uses much more expensive wood than you really need, although
> you probably won't find unplaned rough crating stock at one of the big box
> stores. You can reuse old crate and pallet wood, though.
> --scott

Thanks for the info. Wow, I would imagine it would cost more to crate
and ship than it's worth. They don't seem to be either top or high
priced sellers on eBay, so I might be forced to do pick up only. If it
were a tube model, it might be worth the extra effort but solid state I
doubt it.

Only other option I came across was finding a double walled cardboard
box large enough, then meticulously bubble wrapping it a couple of
inches on all sides, then fill the space between the amp and box with
generous amounts of crumpled craft paper, but even that's going to use
up a lot of $ just to get it ready!

Of course, I suppose I could try the UPS Store nearby, have them give me
an estimate for their wrapping and packing.....

Re: shipping a heavy Fender Deluxe 85

<j89tlgF8herU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1648&group=rec.audio.pro#1648

From: johnwill...@btinternet.com (John Williamson)
Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2022 19:08:31 +0000
 by: John Williamson - Wed, 2 Mar 2022 19:08 UTC

On 02/03/2022 16:06, Bill Saunders wrote:

> Of course, I suppose I could try the UPS Store nearby, have them give me
> an estimate for their wrapping and packing.....

If you use them end to end, their insurance should cover any damage.

They may just put it in the back of their van with a "fragile" label on it.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Re: shipping a heavy Fender Deluxe 85

<svokeg$1dfe$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1649&group=rec.audio.pro#1649

From: tob...@tobiah.org (Tobiah)
Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2022 12:35:28 -0800
 by: Tobiah - Wed, 2 Mar 2022 20:35 UTC

On 3/2/22 06:45, Bill Saunders wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I thought that since this an audio group, perhaps you'd be able to
> answer this question. I have a heavy, Fender Deluxe 85 guitar amp
> that I'd like to sell on eBay. As you know, the dimensions are large
> as well. How would I go about shipping this? I am a DIYer, so
> prefer to go at it from that angle to save shipping materials cost.
>
> Thank you in advance, Bill

I would consider marking your eBay auction as "local pickup only",
and advertise on Craigslist at the same time.

You will have less audience, sure, but the total price of the item
will be far more attractive.

Toby

Re: shipping a heavy Fender Deluxe 85

<TPqdnYhu_8-kSIL_nZ2dnUU7-c2dnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1650&group=rec.audio.pro#1650

Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2022 09:36:08 +1300
Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
From: geo...@nospamgeoffwood.org (geoff)
 by: geoff - Wed, 2 Mar 2022 20:36 UTC

On 3/03/2022 5:06 am, Bill Saunders wrote:

> Only other option I came across was finding a double walled cardboard
> box large enough, then meticulously bubble wrapping it a couple of
> inches on all sides, then fill the space between the amp and box with
> generous amounts of crumpled craft paper, but even that's going to use
> up a lot of $ just to get it ready!

Well, that's how they are delivered in the first place, so why not !

geoff

Re: shipping a heavy Fender Deluxe 85

<033a1f65-4f01-46b8-9987-19786600bb98n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1651&group=rec.audio.pro#1651

Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2022 22:21:22 -0800 (PST)
From: palliso...@gmail.com (palli...@gmail.com)
 by: palli...@gmail.com - Thu, 3 Mar 2022 06:21 UTC

Bill Saunders wrote:
===============

> I thought that since this an audio group, perhaps you'd be able to
> answer this question. I have a heavy, Fender Deluxe 85 guitar amp

** The Deluxe 85 is a small amp - as guitar amps go.
Transistor with 1 x 12 inch speaker, weighs just 32 pounds.
A sturdy cardboard box with *plenty* of newspaper and/ or polystyrene packing would be fine.
The risk with such amps is if it is dropped hard, the magnet assembly could detach from the frame of the speaker.

...... Phil

Re: shipping a heavy Fender Deluxe 85

<3v-dnaZREJpQrrz_nZ2dnUU7-WWdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1652&group=rec.audio.pro#1652

Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2022 10:31:55 +1300
Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
From: geo...@nospamgeoffwood.org (geoff)
 by: geoff - Thu, 3 Mar 2022 21:31 UTC

On 3/03/2022 7:21 pm, palli...@gmail.com wrote:
> Bill Saunders wrote:
> ===============
>>
>> I thought that since this an audio group, perhaps you'd be able to
>> answer this question. I have a heavy, Fender Deluxe 85 guitar amp
>
> ** The Deluxe 85 is a small amp - as guitar amps go.
> Transistor with 1 x 12 inch speaker, weighs just 32 pounds.
> A sturdy cardboard box with *plenty* of newspaper and/ or polystyrene packing would be fine.
> The risk with such amps is if it is dropped hard, the magnet assembly could detach from the frame of the speaker.
>

> ..... Phil

True of the magnet thing. But such amps are shipped all the time, often
in a single carton with appropriate spacing/packing.

Surprised it's even a question.

geoff

Re: shipping a heavy Fender Deluxe 85

<t0gp2g$qqq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1655&group=rec.audio.pro#1655

From: lcargi...@gmail.com (Les Cargill)
Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2022 18:21:34 -0600
 by: Les Cargill - Sat, 12 Mar 2022 00:21 UTC

Bill Saunders wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I thought that since this an audio group, perhaps you'd be able to
> answer this question.  I have a heavy, Fender Deluxe 85 guitar amp that
> I'd like to sell on eBay.  As you know, the dimensions are large as
> well.  How would I go about shipping this?  I am a DIYer, so prefer to
> go at it from that angle to save shipping materials cost.
>
> Thank you in advance,
> Bill

First, take it apart. Box each piece separately. If it's convenient, put
the boxes in another box. You don't have to worry about pulling tubes
in this case.

Uncle Doug on YouTube is a connoisseur of fine amp packing techniques.
You don't have to watch the whole video, just the first part.

--
Les Cargill

Re: shipping a heavy Fender Deluxe 85

<c4ad13df-e8ab-435a-9c3c-b9e3901330ebn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1656&group=rec.audio.pro#1656

Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2022 22:48:35 -0800 (PST)
From: palliso...@gmail.com (palli...@gmail.com)
 by: palli...@gmail.com - Sat, 12 Mar 2022 06:48 UTC

Les Chargrill wrote:

==================

> First, take it apart. Box each piece separately.

** ROTFLMAO !!

Total half witted INSANITY !!!!

...... Phil

Re: shipping a heavy Fender Deluxe 85

<87-dnbMYMuODHLH_nZ2dnUU7-I3NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1657&group=rec.audio.pro#1657

Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2022 00:16:43 +1300
Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
From: geo...@nospamgeoffwood.org (geoff)
 by: geoff - Sat, 12 Mar 2022 11:16 UTC

On 12/03/2022 7:48 pm, palli...@gmail.com wrote:
> Les Chargrill wrote:
>
> ==================
>>
>> First, take it apart. Box each piece separately.
>
> ** ROTFLMAO !!
>
> Total half witted INSANITY !!!!
>

> ..... Phil

Absolutely.

Just carton it up and send it, like the way it came. Or get a slightly
bigger carton (or corrugated cardboard wrap) and line it with packing
(EPS, bubble, foam, whatever), or simply double-wrap it in
corri-cardboard.

It's hardly rocket surgery !

geoff

Re: shipping a heavy Fender Deluxe 85

<t0ne8h$cd2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1658&group=rec.audio.pro#1658

From: lcargi...@gmail.com (Les Cargill)
Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2022 08:00:00 -0500
 by: Les Cargill - Mon, 14 Mar 2022 13:00 UTC

geoff wrote:
> On 12/03/2022 7:48 pm, palli...@gmail.com wrote:
>> Les Chargrill wrote:
>>
>> ==================
>>>
>>> First, take it apart. Box each piece separately.
>>
>> **    ROTFLMAO  !!
>>
>>    Total  half witted  INSANITY  !!!!
>>

>> .....  Phil
>>

> Absolutely.
>
> Just carton it up and send it, like the way it came. Or get a slightly
> bigger carton (or corrugated cardboard wrap) and line it with packing
> (EPS, bubble, foam, whatever), or simply double-wrap it in corri-cardboard.
>
> It's hardly rocket surgery !
>
> geoff

Ship a lot of amps, Geoff? It's four screws in most cases to remove the
electronics.

UPS and the like now seem to have "package destruction specialists" on
staff. Figure on tolerating a four to six foot drop.

If you have the staff to design a package as the amp manufacturers do,
do it your way. Otherwise...

--
Les Cargill

Re: shipping a heavy Fender Deluxe 85

<8eSdnZMkgtVbPbL_nZ2dnUU7-LvNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1659&group=rec.audio.pro#1659

Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2022 09:08:33 +1300
Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
From: geo...@nospamgeoffwood.org (geoff)
 by: geoff - Mon, 14 Mar 2022 20:08 UTC

On 15/03/2022 2:00 am, Les Cargill wrote:
> geoff wrote:
>> On 12/03/2022 7:48 pm, palli...@gmail.com wrote:
>>> Les Chargrill wrote:
>>>
>>> ==================

>>> **    ROTFLMAO  !!
>>>
>>>    Total  half witted  INSANITY  !!!!
>>>

>>> .....  Phil
>>>

>> Absolutely.
>>
>> Just carton it up and send it, like the way it came. Or get a slightly
>> bigger carton (or corrugated cardboard wrap) and line it with packing
>> (EPS, bubble, foam, whatever), or simply double-wrap it in
>> corri-cardboard.
>>
>> It's hardly rocket surgery !
>>
>> geoff
>

> Ship a lot of amps, Geoff? It's four screws in most cases to remove the
> electronics.

Yeah but why.

> UPS and the like now seem to have "package destruction specialists" on
> staff. Figure on tolerating a four to six foot drop.

The stop at the bottom would likely rearrange the tube internals to some
degree however packed !

> If you have the staff to design a package as the amp manufacturers do,
> do it your way. Otherwise...

Yep, have shipped (to me) that would make an '85 like childs-play:
- VOXAC30
- Fender Twin Reverb
- Roland JC120
- Peavey Classic 50
..... amongst others. Each in either a single-layer non-original carton,
with and without a layer or two of bubble-wrap, and one just in a wrap
of corrugated cardboard. No issues.

Also regularly ship out repaired items up to similar size/weight,
usually in used cartons with bubble wrap or recycled poly packing.

geoff

Re: shipping a heavy Fender Deluxe 85

<7964876d-0ca0-4424-93c0-1cc9563fe432n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1660&group=rec.audio.pro#1660

Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2022 14:55:28 -0700 (PDT)
From: palliso...@gmail.com (palli...@gmail.com)
 by: palli...@gmail.com - Mon, 14 Mar 2022 21:55 UTC

Less Cargill the Better wrote:

=========================
> Ship a lot of amps, Geoff? It's four screws in most cases to remove the
> electronics.

** The aluminium chassis of a Deluxe 85 can be particularly difficult to remove and replace.
Not a job for owners and there is zero point to the idea.
Like all you mad ideas.

..... Phil

Re: shipping a heavy Fender Deluxe 85

<t2qu9p$cu8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1672&group=rec.audio.pro#1672

From: lcargi...@gmail.com (Les Cargill)
Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2022 22:24:39 -0500
 by: Les Cargill - Sat, 9 Apr 2022 03:24 UTC

geoff wrote:
> On 15/03/2022 2:00 am, Les Cargill wrote:
>> geoff wrote:

>>> Absolutely.
>>>
>>> Just carton it up and send it, like the way it came. Or get a
>>> slightly bigger carton (or corrugated cardboard wrap) and line it
>>> with packing (EPS, bubble, foam, whatever), or simply double-wrap it
>>> in corri-cardboard.
>>>
>>> It's hardly rocket surgery !
>>>
>>> geoff
>>

>> Ship a lot of amps, Geoff? It's four screws in most cases to remove
>> the electronics.
>
> Yeah but why.

Because there are a couple of seriously dense spots in the transformers.

>> UPS and the like now seem to have "package destruction specialists" on
>> staff. Figure on tolerating a four to six foot drop.
>
> The stop at the bottom would likely rearrange the tube internals to some
> degree however packed !

Absolutely. But I don't want the heavy things to control where the lever
arms in the present arrangements are.

I kinda visualize the sress on the mounting screws and think that's an
opportunity for breakage.

>> If you have the staff to design a package as the amp manufacturers do,
>> do it your way. Otherwise...
>>

> Yep, have shipped (to me) that would make an '85 like childs-play:
> - VOXAC30
> - Fender Twin Reverb
> - Roland JC120
> - Peavey Classic 50
> .... amongst others. Each in either a single-layer non-original carton,
> with and without a layer or two of bubble-wrap, and one just in a wrap
> of corrugated cardboard. No issues.
>
> Also regularly ship out repaired items up to similar size/weight,
> usually in used cartons with bubble wrap or recycled poly packing.

Well, there you go. It'll all work out fine I'm sure.

--
Les Cargill