From: sco...@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Dialer
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2021 21:13:57 +0300
 by: Scott Lurndal - Thu, 10 Jun 2021 18:13 UTC

I'm sick of the dumb dialer that came with the phone.
Sure, it dials and shows me calls and looks up contacts.
But it can't even "copy" the phone number.
And when I try to see more information, it dials the number.
Instead of dealing with the dialer I just want a good one.

Which is a good dialer on the Google Play Store that you like?

Re: Dialer

<75nupttdtdig.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16546&group=comp.mobile.android#16546

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Dialer
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2021 14:20:52 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Thu, 10 Jun 2021 19:20 UTC

Scott Lurndal <scott@slp53.sl.home> wrote:

> I'm sick of the dumb dialer that came with the phone.
> Sure, it dials and shows me calls and looks up contacts.
> But it can't even "copy" the phone number.
> And when I try to see more information, it dials the number.
> Instead of dealing with the dialer I just want a good one.
>
> Which is a good dialer on the Google Play Store that you like?

As for copying the phone number, and for the dialer app bundled on my
phone (LG V20), yes, copying doesn't work if I tap and hold on the
/_displayed_/ phone number (and don't tap on the handset icon since that
obviously means to dial the number). However, if I edit the contact, I
can then tap and hold on a phone number field to get the copy/cut
choices. Copy/cut/paste works only in /_editable_/ fields.

To see more information for a contact from the list of them, I just tap
on the contact name. No, not on the handset icon, because that means to
dial the number. Tap on the contact's *name* to see more info on a
contact (and to edit it).

Don't know with which dialer app your phone was bundled, because you
never identified your phone. If you identified it, someone else with
the same phone, or willing to read its online manual to you (if there is
one), might tell you how to use that dialer app. If the bundled dialer
app isn't from Google, like it is a different one by your phone maker,
have you tried Google's Phone app?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.dialer

Similarly, Google has their own Messages app at:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.messaging

but lots of users prefer the WhatsApp for messaging (and video calls).
First see if correctly using whatever Phone/Contacts app you have now
will show you more info on a contact, and let you copy their phone
number (once you have an editable field from which to copy). If your
real intent is to get recommendations on other phone apps, my suggestion
is to try Google's phone app. Since it is a different app, its GUI,
navigation, and layout will be different, so you'll have to learn how to
use a new app.

Re: Dialer

<eli$2106101925@qaz.wtf>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16553&group=comp.mobile.android#16553

From: *...@eli.users.panix.com (Eli the Bearded)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2021 23:25:18 +0000 (UTC)
 by: Eli the Bearded - Thu, 10 Jun 2021 23:25 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, Scott Lurndal <slp53@pacbell.net> wrote:
> I'm sick of the dumb dialer that came with the phone.
> Sure, it dials and shows me calls and looks up contacts.
> But it can't even "copy" the phone number.
> And when I try to see more information, it dials the number.
> Instead of dealing with the dialer I just want a good one.
>
> Which is a good dialer on the Google Play Store that you like?

I use the one from Simple Mobile Tools, it's in Play Store and in
F-Droid. "Copy number" is there, but hidden in the three dots menu.

https://www.simplemobiletools.com/

Originally the functionality was part of the Contacts tool, but for
reasons I forget Google wanted the functionality split, so now
Contacts and Dialer are separate programs.

Elijah
------
not a fan of all of the SMT apps being orange

Re: Dialer

<s9ufb2$1niq$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16556&group=comp.mobile.android#16556

From: sco...@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2021 04:47:16 +0300
 by: Scott Lurndal - Fri, 11 Jun 2021 01:47 UTC

Eli the Bearded writes:
> I use the one from Simple Mobile Tools, it's in Play Store and in
> F-Droid. "Copy number" is there, but hidden in the three dots menu.

I just installed the SimpleMobileTools Contacts & Dialer from Fdroid.
You're right. Those two SMT phone apps are almost exactly the same.

SMT Contacts has just these 3 tabs at top. People. Favorites. Groups.
The SMT Dialer also has only 3 tabs there. People. Favorites. Calls.

For some reason the contacts is a pro version but it was still free.
Do you know why?

https://f-droid.org/en/packages/com.simplemobiletools.contacts.pro/
https://f-droid.org/en/packages/com.simplemobiletools.dialer/

Anyway with those two tools now I can select any phone call in the SMT
Dialer calls tab & press the 3 dots. Once selected, there is "Block number",
"Send SMS" or what I was missing before which is "Copy number to clipboard."

This is my new Dialer app!
Thank you.

Re: Dialer

<eli$2106111428@qaz.wtf>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16568&group=comp.mobile.android#16568

From: *...@eli.users.panix.com (Eli the Bearded)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2021 18:33:42 +0000 (UTC)
 by: Eli the Bearded - Fri, 11 Jun 2021 18:33 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, Scott Lurndal <slp53@pacbell.net> wrote:
> I just installed the SimpleMobileTools Contacts & Dialer from Fdroid.
> You're right. Those two SMT phone apps are almost exactly the same.
>
> SMT Contacts has just these 3 tabs at top. People. Favorites. Groups.
> The SMT Dialer also has only 3 tabs there. People. Favorites. Calls.
>
> For some reason the contacts is a pro version but it was still free.
> Do you know why?

That was a stepping stone on the way between Contacts does it all and
the split. Contacts Pro had a dialer for a while, then it was fully
separated. I don't know more details than that.

(All of the "pro" ones /might/ be free at F-Droid and paid in Play
store. I paid for a couple of them at one point, but now I have all
F-Droid versions.)

Elijah
------
has six of the Simple Mobile Tools apps installed

Re: Dialer

<sa0f9t$rrt$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16570&group=comp.mobile.android#16570

From: sco...@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2021 22:58:53 +0300
 by: Scott Lurndal - Fri, 11 Jun 2021 19:58 UTC

Eli the Bearded writes:
> (All of the "pro" ones /might/ be free at F-Droid and paid in Play
> store. I paid for a couple of them at one point, but now I have all
> F-Droid versions.)

That may be the difference since I don't know of any FDroid apps which
charge money while many of the FDroid "pro" apps are also on Google Play
where they do charge money for what seems to be the exact same "pro" app.

Who would pay Google when they can get the exact FDroid "pro" app for free?

computers / comp.mobile.android / Dialer