You can't go home again, unless you set $HOME.

tech / sci.lang / in Swedish, the dative case shows up only in old poetry and literature?

SubjectAuthor
* in Swedish, the dative case shows up only in old poetry and literature?henh...@gmail.com
`* Re: in Swedish, the dative case shows up only in old poetry and literature?bruce bowser
 `- Re: in Swedish, the dative case shows up only in old poetry and literature?Ruud Harmsen

1
in Swedish, the dative case shows up only in old poetry and literature?

<36105063-cd6b-4485-b752-3cb2639abbc5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=16560&group=sci.lang#16560

Newsgroups: sci.lang
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2023 09:32:08 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: in Swedish, the dative case shows up only in old poetry and literature?
From: henha...@gmail.com (henh...@gmail.com)
 by: henh...@gmail.com - Mon, 31 Jul 2023 16:32 UTC

in Swedish, the dative case shows up only in old poetry and literature?

That's correct. The dative case is no longer used in modern Swedish, except in some very formal or poetic contexts. In most cases, the accusative case is used instead. For example, the old Swedish sentence "Jag gav boken till läraren" (I gave the book to the teacher) would now be "Jag gav boken till läraren."

-------------------------- omg !

The dative case was used in Swedish until the 18th century, when it began to be gradually replaced by the accusative case. This was due to a number of factors, including the influence of Danish, which does not have a dative case, and the increasing use of prepositions to indicate the indirect object..

Today, the dative case is only used in a few specific contexts in Swedish. For example, it is still used after certain prepositions, such as "till" (to), "med" (with), and "för" (for). It is also used in some set phrases, such as "tack till" (thanks to) and "tro till" (trust in).

However, for the most part, the dative case is no longer used in modern Swedish. If you are learning Swedish, you do not need to worry about learning the dative case. The accusative case will be sufficient for most situations..

_______________________________________

The dative and accusative cases are found in many Indo-European languages, including:

-- Germanic languages: German, Dutch, Afrikaans, Icelandic, Faroese, Old English, Gothic

-- Slavic languages: Russian, Ukrainian, Polish, Czech, Slovak, Bulgarian, Serbian, Croatian, Slovene, Macedonian, Belarusian

-- Baltic languages: Lithuanian, Latvian

-- Indic languages: Hindi, Urdu, Bengali, Punjabi, Gujarati, Marathi, Assamese, Nepali, Sinhala

-- Iranian languages: Persian, Pashto, Kurdish

-- Albanian

In these languages, the dative case is typically used to indicate the indirect object of a verb, while the accusative case is used to indicate the direct object. However, the exact usage of these cases can vary from language to language. For example, in German, the dative case is also used to indicate the prepositional object of certain prepositions, while in Russian, the dative case is used to indicate the goal of motion.

English does not have a dative case in the traditional sense. However, some grammarians argue that the English preposition "to" can be used to mark the dative case. For example, in the sentence "I gave the book to the teacher," the preposition "to" followed by the noun "teacher" is in the dative case.

Re: in Swedish, the dative case shows up only in old poetry and literature?

<7cab7a86-5b68-4006-9c60-f31a0037d035n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=16564&group=sci.lang#16564

Newsgroups: sci.lang
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2023 11:12:26 -0700 (PDT)
From: bruce1.9...@gmail.com (bruce bowser)
 by: bruce bowser - Tue, 1 Aug 2023 18:12 UTC

On Monday, July 31, 2023 at 12:32:10 PM UTC-4, henh...@gmail.com wrote:
> in Swedish, the dative case shows up only in old poetry and literature?
>

> That's correct. The dative case is no longer used in modern Swedish, except in some very formal or poetic contexts. In most cases, the accusative case is used instead. For example, the old Swedish sentence "Jag gav boken till läraren" (I gave the book to the teacher) would now be "Jag gav boken till läraren."
>
> -------------------------- omg !
>

> The dative case was used in Swedish until the 18th century, when it began to be gradually replaced by the accusative case. This was due to a number of factors, including the influence of Danish, which does not have a dative case, and the increasing use of prepositions to indicate the indirect object.
>
> Today, the dative case is only used in a few specific contexts in Swedish.. For example, it is still used after certain prepositions, such as "till" (to), "med" (with), and "för" (for). It is also used in some set phrases, such as "tack till" (thanks to) and "tro till" (trust in).
>
> However, for the most part, the dative case is no longer used in modern Swedish. If you are learning Swedish, you do not need to worry about learning the dative case. The accusative case will be sufficient for most situations.
>
> _______________________________________
>
> The dative and accusative cases are found in many Indo-European languages, including:
>
> -- Germanic languages: German, Dutch, Afrikaans, Icelandic, Faroese, Old English, Gothic

I've never heard of Faroese. Is it a type of Danish?

> -- Slavic languages: Russian, Ukrainian, Polish, Czech, Slovak, Bulgarian, Serbian, Croatian, Slovene, Macedonian, Belarusian
>
> -- Baltic languages: Lithuanian, Latvian
>
> -- Indic languages: Hindi, Urdu, Bengali, Punjabi, Gujarati, Marathi, Assamese, Nepali, Sinhala
>
> -- Iranian languages: Persian, Pashto, Kurdish
>
> -- Albanian
>

> In these languages, the dative case is typically used to indicate the indirect object of a verb, while the accusative case is used to indicate the direct object. However, the exact usage of these cases can vary from language to language. For example, in German, the dative case is also used to indicate the prepositional object of certain prepositions, while in Russian, the dative case is used to indicate the goal of motion.
>
> English does not have a dative case in the traditional sense. However, some grammarians argue that the English preposition "to" can be used to mark the dative case. For example, in the sentence "I gave the book to the teacher," the preposition "to" followed by the noun "teacher" is in the dative case.

Re: in Swedish, the dative case shows up only in old poetry and literature?

<i0tjcidq3q5e648pah511bjuvndcbehsor@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=16568&group=sci.lang#16568

From: rh...@rudhar.com (Ruud Harmsen)
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2023 08:13:59 +0200
 by: Ruud Harmsen - Wed, 2 Aug 2023 06:13 UTC

Tue, 1 Aug 2023 11:12:26 -0700 (PDT): bruce bowser
<bruce1.9bowser@gmail.com> scribeva:

>> -- Germanic languages: German, Dutch, Afrikaans, Icelandic, Faroese, Old English, Gothic
>
>I've never heard of Faroese. Is it a type of Danish?

No. See Wikipedia. More like a type of Icelandic.