She won' go Warp 7, Cap'n! The batteries are dead!

tech / rec.audio.pro / One for Rolling Stones fans:

SubjectAuthor
* One for Rolling Stones fans:palli...@gmail.com
`* Re: One for Rolling Stones fans:geoff
 `* Re: One for Rolling Stones fans:Don Pearce
  `* Re: One for Rolling Stones fans:geoff
   +* Re: One for Rolling Stones fans:geoff
   |+* Re: One for Rolling Stones fans:Chris K-Man
   ||`- Re: One for Rolling Stones fans:geoff
   |`- Re: One for Rolling Stones fans:Don Pearce
   `- Re: One for Rolling Stones fans:palli...@gmail.com

1
One for Rolling Stones fans:

<1f0669d2-f184-46a4-8940-b6f8e186bc15n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1673&group=rec.audio.pro#1673

Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 23:06:40 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: One for Rolling Stones fans:
From: palliso...@gmail.com (palli...@gmail.com)
 by: palli...@gmail.com - Tue, 12 Apr 2022 06:06 UTC

Hi,

see u-tube vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OF5R-4HA2Zk

apologies for all the "in" jokes.

BTW

saw the Stones pay live in Sydney in Feb 1973.
Open air at Randwick Race course in drizzling rain as the light faded.
A couple of "super troopers " made up for that.
I was standing about 7 yards from the stage, dead centre.
Was a big Stones fan at the time, with my own copies of albums Sticky Fingers and Let it Bleed.

All band members were in very fine form.

....... Phil

Re: One for Rolling Stones fans:

<DOydnZvq8KyLk8v_nZ2dnUU7-LXNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1674&group=rec.audio.pro#1674

Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 11:40:58 +1200
Subject: Re: One for Rolling Stones fans:
Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
From: geo...@nospamgeoffwood.org (geoff)
 by: geoff - Tue, 12 Apr 2022 23:40 UTC

On 12/04/2022 6:06 pm, palli...@gmail.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> see u-tube vid:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OF5R-4HA2Zk
>
> apologies for all the "in" jokes.
>
> BTW
>
> saw the Stones pay live in Sydney in Feb 1973.
> Open air at Randwick Race course in drizzling rain as the light faded.
> A couple of "super troopers " made up for that.
> I was standing about 7 yards from the stage, dead centre.
> Was a big Stones fan at the time, with my own copies of albums Sticky Fingers and Let it Bleed.
>
> All band members were in very fine form.
>

> ...... Phil

I saw the Stones in 2006. I too was shocked, *devastated*, that Mick
Taylor wasn't performing ;- O b!

geoff

Re: One for Rolling Stones fans:

<6256c28c.737828@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1675&group=rec.audio.pro#1675

From: spa...@spam.com (Don Pearce)
Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 12:33:58 GMT
 by: Don Pearce - Wed, 13 Apr 2022 12:33 UTC

On Wed, 13 Apr 2022 11:40:58 +1200, geoff <geoff@nospamgeoffwood.org>
wrote:

>On 12/04/2022 6:06 pm, palli...@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> see u-tube vid:
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OF5R-4HA2Zk
>>
>> apologies for all the "in" jokes.
>>
>> BTW
>>
>> saw the Stones pay live in Sydney in Feb 1973.
>> Open air at Randwick Race course in drizzling rain as the light faded.
>> A couple of "super troopers " made up for that.
>> I was standing about 7 yards from the stage, dead centre.
>> Was a big Stones fan at the time, with my own copies of albums Sticky Fingers and Let it Bleed.
>>
>> All band members were in very fine form.
>>

>> ...... Phil
>>

>I saw the Stones in 2006. I too was shocked, *devastated*, that Mick
>Taylor wasn't performing ;- O b!
>
>geoff

Mick was by far the best musician they ever had. I went to see them
just a few years back at their show in Hyde Park. Naturally they
started with "Start Me Up". And naturally Keith started playing it in
the totally wrong key. They redubbed him for the official video, but
there are plenty of private smart phone versions on YouTube that will
let you hear the true horror of what he did.

Re: One for Rolling Stones fans:

<buidnfZATtN3zcr_nZ2dnUU7-evNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1676&group=rec.audio.pro#1676

Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2022 10:38:22 +1200
Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
From: geo...@nospamgeoffwood.org (geoff)
 by: geoff - Wed, 13 Apr 2022 22:38 UTC

On 14/04/2022 12:33 am, Don Pearce wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Apr 2022 11:40:58 +1200, geoff <geoff@nospamgeoffwood.org>
> wrote:
>
>> On 12/04/2022 6:06 pm, palli...@gmail.com wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> see u-tube vid:
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OF5R-4HA2Zk
>>>
>>> apologies for all the "in" jokes.
>>>
>>> BTW
>>>
>>> saw the Stones pay live in Sydney in Feb 1973.
>>> Open air at Randwick Race course in drizzling rain as the light faded.
>>> A couple of "super troopers " made up for that.
>>> I was standing about 7 yards from the stage, dead centre.
>>> Was a big Stones fan at the time, with my own copies of albums Sticky Fingers and Let it Bleed.
>>>
>>> All band members were in very fine form.
>>>

>>> ...... Phil
>>>

>> I saw the Stones in 2006. I too was shocked, *devastated*, that Mick
>> Taylor wasn't performing ;- O b!
>>
>> geoff
>
> Mick was by far the best musician they ever had. I went to see them
> just a few years back at their show in Hyde Park. Naturally they
> started with "Start Me Up". And naturally Keith started playing it in
> the totally wrong key. They redubbed him for the official video, but
> there are plenty of private smart phone versions on YouTube that will
> let you hear the true horror of what he did.

I sure he wouldn't have started *playing* it it the wrong key. He would
have played it exactly the same as he has done hundreds if not thousands
of times.

But the guitar was probably *tuned* to the wrong key. Either by himself
or his guitar 'tech'.

geoff

Re: One for Rolling Stones fans:

<D_ydnSq79Ipgycr_nZ2dnUU7-QXNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1677&group=rec.audio.pro#1677

Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2022 10:55:44 +1200
Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
From: geo...@nospamgeoffwood.org (geoff)
 by: geoff - Wed, 13 Apr 2022 22:55 UTC

On 14/04/2022 10:38 am, geoff wrote:
> On 14/04/2022 12:33 am, Don Pearce wrote:
>> On Wed, 13 Apr 2022 11:40:58 +1200, geoff <geoff@nospamgeoffwood.org>
>> wrote:

>>> I saw the Stones in 2006. I too was shocked, *devastated*, that Mick
>>> Taylor wasn't performing ;- O b!
>>>
>>> geoff
>>
>> Mick was by far the best musician they ever had. I went to see them
>> just a few years back at their show in Hyde Park. Naturally they
>> started with "Start Me Up". And naturally Keith started playing it in
>> the totally wrong key. They redubbed him for the official video, but
>> there are plenty of private smart phone versions on YouTube that will
>> let you hear the true horror of what he did.

> I sure he wouldn't have started *playing* it it the wrong key. He would
> have played it exactly the same as he has done hundreds if not thousands
> of times.
>
> But the guitar was probably *tuned* to the wrong key. Either by himself
> or his guitar 'tech'.
>
> geoff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ja81gO8PJ40

Just looked it up. After a bar or two you can see him looking askance
down at the guitar as if to say "WTF !". Around 03:50 . Then appears to
be working out what's wrong and eventual 'cures' the problem.

Either he was out of his tree and started wrong, or the guitar was tuned
wrong, which after a verse or so he realised and compensated for by
moving up to correct. After a bar or two you can see him looking askance
down at the guitar as if to say "WTF !".

Or the guitar had been tuned standard instead of Open G (some strings do
sound 'in tune', and others don't). Or simply having been given the
wrong guitar for that song. In which case the correction made was
actually good musicianship.

Several possibilities for failure - some being him, some being others.

geoff

Re: One for Rolling Stones fans:

<5d80419d-5c9f-4553-b396-5fac59a281f7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1678&group=rec.audio.pro#1678

Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 16:58:03 -0700 (PDT)
From: thekmanr...@gmail.com (Chris K-Man)
 by: Chris K-Man - Wed, 13 Apr 2022 23:58 UTC

On Wednesday, April 13, 2022 at 6:56:06 PM UTC-4, geoff wrote:
> On 14/04/2022 10:38 am, geoff wrote:
> > On 14/04/2022 12:33 am, Don Pearce wrote:

> >> Mick was by far the best musician they ever had. I went to see them
> >> just a few years back at their show in Hyde Park. Naturally they
> >> started with "Start Me Up". And naturally Keith started playing it in
> >> the totally wrong key. They redubbed him for the official video, but
> >> there are plenty of private smart phone versions on YouTube that will
> >> let you hear the true horror of what he did.

> > I sure he wouldn't have started *playing* it it the wrong key. He would
> > have played it exactly the same as he has done hundreds if not thousands
> > of times.
> >
> > But the guitar was probably *tuned* to the wrong key. Either by himself
> > or his guitar 'tech'.
> >
> > geoff
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ja81gO8PJ40
>
> Just looked it up. After a bar or two you can see him looking askance
> down at the guitar as if to say "WTF !". Around 03:50 . Then appears to
> be working out what's wrong and eventual 'cures' the problem.
>
> Either he was out of his tree and started wrong, or the guitar was tuned
> wrong, which after a verse or so he realised and compensated for by
> moving up to correct. After a bar or two you can see him looking askance
> down at the guitar as if to say "WTF !".
>
> Or the guitar had been tuned standard instead of Open G (some strings do
> sound 'in tune', and others don't). Or simply having been given the
> wrong guitar for that song. In which case the correction made was
> actually good musicianship.
>
> Several possibilities for failure - some being him, some being others.
>
> geoff
_________

For those who don't want to wade through three minutes of....

whatever... to find it: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ja81gO8PJ40&t=216s

Re: One for Rolling Stones fans:

<r5ydnbVkytCW98r_nZ2dnUU7-KOdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1679&group=rec.audio.pro#1679

Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2022 12:25:37 +1200
Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
From: geo...@nospamgeoffwood.org (geoff)
 by: geoff - Thu, 14 Apr 2022 00:25 UTC

On 14/04/2022 11:58 am, Chris K-Man wrote:
> On Wednesday, April 13, 2022 at 6:56:06 PM UTC-4, geoff wrote:

>>> I sure he wouldn't have started *playing* it it the wrong key. He would
>>> have played it exactly the same as he has done hundreds if not thousands
>>> of times.
>>>
>>> But the guitar was probably *tuned* to the wrong key. Either by himself
>>> or his guitar 'tech'.
>>>
>>> geoff
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ja81gO8PJ40
>>
>> Just looked it up. After a bar or two you can see him looking askance
>> down at the guitar as if to say "WTF !". Around 03:50 . Then appears to
>> be working out what's wrong and eventual 'cures' the problem.
>>
>> Either he was out of his tree and started wrong, or the guitar was tuned
>> wrong, which after a verse or so he realised and compensated for by
>> moving up to correct. After a bar or two you can see him looking askance
>> down at the guitar as if to say "WTF !".
>>
>> Or the guitar had been tuned standard instead of Open G (some strings do
>> sound 'in tune', and others don't). Or simply having been given the
>> wrong guitar for that song. In which case the correction made was
>> actually good musicianship.
>>
>> Several possibilities for failure - some being him, some being others.
>>
>> geoff
> _________
>
> For those who don't want to wade through three minutes of....
>
> whatever... to find it: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ja81gO8PJ40&t=216s

Um doh, you can simply drag the time-line slider to 03:50 ...

geoff

Re: One for Rolling Stones fans:

<92ff54c5-1f8f-4539-9e04-374d0770a60bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1680&group=rec.audio.pro#1680

Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 21:21:42 -0700 (PDT)
From: palliso...@gmail.com (palli...@gmail.com)
 by: palli...@gmail.com - Thu, 14 Apr 2022 04:21 UTC

geoff wrote:

==============

> > Mick was by far the best musician they ever had. I went to see them
> > just a few years back at their show in Hyde Park. Naturally they
> > started with "Start Me Up". And naturally Keith started playing it in
> > the totally wrong key. They redubbed him for the official video, but
> > there are plenty of private smart phone versions on YouTube that will
> > let you hear the true horror of what he did.

> I sure he wouldn't have started *playing* it it the wrong key. He would
> have played it exactly the same as he has done hundreds if not thousands
> of times.
>
> But the guitar was probably *tuned* to the wrong key. Either by himself
> or his guitar 'tech'.

** In the concert I saw in Sydney is 1973, Keith was handed a different guitar for nearly every song.
There were no obvious mistakes.

...... Phil

Re: One for Rolling Stones fans:

<62585ad3.13833734@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1681&group=rec.audio.pro#1681

From: spa...@spam.com (Don Pearce)
Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2022 17:33:29 GMT
 by: Don Pearce - Thu, 14 Apr 2022 17:33 UTC

I'm going with the tree theory.