From: tob...@tobiah.org (Tobiah)
Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
Subject: [OT] 5.1 receiver with great 'night mode'
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 08:57:40 -0700
 by: Tobiah - Mon, 28 Mar 2022 15:57 UTC

I have roommates, so when I watch TV with a surround
sound receiver, I have to keep the remote in hand with
my thumb poised over the volume button. I crank it up
so I can hear the close, quiet dialog, then crush it down
when the gunshots and explosions come around.

My Android TV has something called 'Night mode', but it
seems to have little or no effect. My receiver didn't
have that feature, and it recently pooped the bed so
I'm looking to replace it. I don't really care about
any of the other features as long as it can do 5.1, and hopefully
has a great night mode. It would be great if it had
adjustable levels of compression. I'm looking to spend
$300-$400, preferably closer to the $300 mark.

Failing that, is there a device that I could put
in the HDMI chain that would do the same thing?

Re: [OT] 5.1 receiver with great 'night mode'

<MPG.3ccb53a815252c29897c5@News.Individual.NET>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1682&group=rec.audio.pro#1682

From: unsteady...@gmail.com (Unsteadyken)
Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
Subject: Re: [OT] 5.1 receiver with great 'night mode'
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 12:43:09 +0100
 by: Unsteadyken - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 11:43 UTC

In article <t1sltl$clr$1@gioia.aioe.org>,
Tobiah says...

> My Android TV has something called 'Night mode'

It is more properly known as Dynamic Range Control = DRC.

Most AV receivers I've come across have such a function.

--
Ken