Make it right before you make it faster.

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: Want ssh client recommendations please

SubjectAuthor
* Want ssh client recommendations pleaseChris Green
+* Re: Want ssh client recommendations pleaseAnssi Saari
|+- Re: Want ssh client recommendations pleaseAllodoxaphobia
|`- Re: Want ssh client recommendations pleaseChris Green
`* Re: Want ssh client recommendations pleaseEli the Bearded
 `- Re: Want ssh client recommendations pleaseChris Green

1
Want ssh client recommendations please

<927sph-40pu1.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16921&group=comp.mobile.android#16921

From: cl...@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Want ssh client recommendations please
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2021 16:41:29 +0100
 by: Chris Green - Thu, 17 Jun 2021 15:41 UTC

There are dozens (if not hundreds) of ssh clients for Android and it's
difficult to choose between them.

Does anyone here have any particular recommendations?

--
Chris Green
·

Re: Want ssh client recommendations please

<sm0pmwkie8f.fsf@lakka.kapsi.fi>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16925&group=comp.mobile.android#16925

From: as...@sci.fi (Anssi Saari)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Want ssh client recommendations please
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2021 20:37:52 +0300
sha1:atKOdZ778YSJmev8iVz2eUjpOnA=
 by: Anssi Saari - Thu, 17 Jun 2021 17:37 UTC

Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> writes:

> There are dozens (if not hundreds) of ssh clients for Android and it's
> difficult to choose between them.
>

> Does anyone here have any particular recommendations?

I have used JuiceSSH. Paid version has a handy feature called snippets
which are command sequences that can be launched from a menu.

I remember I had trouble at some point getting passwordless logins to
work but not recently.

Fingerprint-unlocking for keys I looked for in an ssh client at some
point but didn't find it. I felt a lot of ssh clients predate
fingerprint sensors and haven't been updated with that.

Re: Want ssh client recommendations please

<eli$2106171412@qaz.wtf>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16928&group=comp.mobile.android#16928

From: *...@eli.users.panix.com (Eli the Bearded)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2021 18:12:15 +0000 (UTC)
 by: Eli the Bearded - Thu, 17 Jun 2021 18:12 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
> There are dozens (if not hundreds) of ssh clients for Android and it's
> difficult to choose between them.
>
> Does anyone here have any particular recommendations?

I use the ssh tool in the Termux shell regularly. It works exactly like
ssh from a Linux terminal, which is my preference. Keys in $HOME/.ssh/ ,
config in $HOME/.ssh/config , same command line options, scp, sftp, etc.

The up-to-date Termux is available in F-Droid. The Play store version is
a bit outdated.

Elijah
------
finds Termux to be one of the most important apps

Re: Want ssh client recommendations please

<slrnscnmgt.uhu.trepidation@vps.jonz.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16937&group=comp.mobile.android#16937

From: trepidat...@example.net (Allodoxaphobia)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: 17 Jun 2021 23:26:21 GMT
 by: Allodoxaphobia - Thu, 17 Jun 2021 23:26 UTC

On Thu, 17 Jun 2021 20:37:52 +0300, Anssi Saari wrote:
> Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> writes:
>
>> There are dozens (if not hundreds) of ssh clients for Android and
>> it's difficult to choose between them.
>
>> Does anyone here have any particular recommendations?
>
> I have used JuiceSSH.

+1

Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | Marvin | W3DHJ.net | linux
38.238N 104.547W | @ jonz.net | Jonesy | FreeBSD

Re: Want ssh client recommendations please

<7p0uph-59b22.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16949&group=comp.mobile.android#16949

From: cl...@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2021 09:06:31 +0100
 by: Chris Green - Fri, 18 Jun 2021 08:06 UTC

Eli the Bearded <*@eli.users.panix.com> wrote:
> In comp.mobile.android, Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
> > There are dozens (if not hundreds) of ssh clients for Android and it's
> > difficult to choose between them.
> >
> > Does anyone here have any particular recommendations?
>
> I use the ssh tool in the Termux shell regularly. It works exactly like
> ssh from a Linux terminal, which is my preference. Keys in $HOME/.ssh/ ,
> config in $HOME/.ssh/config , same command line options, scp, sftp, etc.
>
> The up-to-date Termux is available in F-Droid. The Play store version is
> a bit outdated.

Ah, that's a second recommendation for Termux, so I'll try that too.
Thank you.

--
Chris Green
·

Re: Want ssh client recommendations please

<6n0uph-59b22.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=16950&group=comp.mobile.android#16950

From: cl...@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2021 09:05:26 +0100
 by: Chris Green - Fri, 18 Jun 2021 08:05 UTC

Anssi Saari <as@sci.fi> wrote:
> Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> writes:
>
> > There are dozens (if not hundreds) of ssh clients for Android and it's
> > difficult to choose between them.
> >

> > Does anyone here have any particular recommendations?
>
> I have used JuiceSSH. Paid version has a handy feature called snippets
> which are command sequences that can be launched from a menu.

A few other people have recommended JuiceSSH so it's certainly worth a
try anyway, thanks. I don't need anything like snippets, I'm just
looking for something that feels as much like a standard Linux/Unix
ssh as possible.

> I remember I had trouble at some point getting passwordless logins to
> work but not recently.

OK, good to know.

> Fingerprint-unlocking for keys I looked for in an ssh client at some
> point but didn't find it. I felt a lot of ssh clients predate
> fingerprint sensors and haven't been updated with that.

Again I don't think I'll want that.

--
Chris Green
·

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: Want ssh client recommendations please