It is Fortune, not Wisdom, that rules man's life.

interests / sci.anthropology.paleo / Super important point about evidence

SubjectAuthor
* Super important point about evidenceJTEM is so reasonable
`- Re: Super important point about evidencelittor...@gmail.com

1
Super important point about evidence

<25ec91c2-c1a5-4a80-99f3-1c64dd40e5e2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=17190&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#17190

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Sat, 13 May 2023 00:59:42 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Super important point about evidence
From: jte...@gmail.com (JTEM is so reasonable)
 by: JTEM is so reasonabl - Sat, 13 May 2023 07:59 UTC

Seemingly unrelated to human origins but
actually very important to the topic:

There are two popular schools of thoughts
in physics, and they are the Copenhagen
Interpretation and the Multiverse.

The Copenhagen Interpretation says that
the a photon is in a state of flux, of sorts.
It's everywhere and nowhere, right up until
you take a measurement. THEN, because
you measured it (observed it), the quantum
state collapses and it's in a definitive state
or position.

The Multiverse says that there's a version
of the photon in every POTENTIAL state, in
every POTENTIAL location, and when you
take your measurement (make your
observation) you effectively are selecting
a specific version of the photon, a specific
version of the universe that corresponds
with your measurement/observation.

Weird. But, here's the thing: The observations
are the same!

Whether you pick the Copenhagen Interpretation
or the Multiverse as your view of the universe,
the observations are the same. You and I are
always making the exact same measurement
or observation, but depending upon what idea
we subscribe to we see an extremely different
result.

The same is true for Out of Africa vs Out of
Asia.

It's not like if you favor one idea over the other,
half the fossils ever found suddenly dissolve.

All the evidence is still there. For everyone.

HOW you see that evidence changes radically,
from one hypothesis to the next. Your preferred
hypothesis frames the evidence. It restricts or
controls how you look at it.

Aquatic Ape proponents, almost to the man (and
woman) were spoon fed the exact same Out of
Africa purity as anyone else. We were all raised
on it, we probably all believed it.

I know I did.

We saw everything through the filter of Out of
Africa purity, and we know what it looks like to
the purists. We looked at things that way. We
applied the bias of the purists to everything.

And then we expanded our views.

Aquatic Ape advocates aren't people who never
had out of Africa purity rammed down their throats.
It's not that it was never explained to us or that we
somehow didn't understand it. We did. We do.

Out of Africa purists can't say the same of Aquatic
Ape though...

-- --

https://jtem.tumblr.com/post/716364343858561024

Re: Super important point about evidence

<4e82c34f-7027-459b-ae9e-3162e07ffecdn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=17192&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#17192

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Sat, 13 May 2023 03:43:48 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Super important point about evidence
From: littoral...@gmail.com (littor...@gmail.com)
 by: littor...@gmail.com - Sat, 13 May 2023 10:43 UTC

Well-said, JTEM!

Traditional paleo-anthropology is *incredibly* wrong in *at least* 4 instances:
- early-Miocene Hominoidea were already "bipedal" sensu "aquarboreal",
- S.Afr.australopiths = fossil relatives of Pan, E-Afr.apiths of Gorilla, not Homo,
- it was not "out of Africa", but "out of southern-Asia" & "out of the Red Sea",
- Plio-Pleistocene Homo were no savanna hunters, but followed coasts & rivers.

Google e.g.
– aquarboreal
– GondwanaTalks verhaegen
– WHATtalk verhaegen