From: pand...@knoware.nl (Pandora)
Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Subject: The dangers of knapping
Date: Fri, 26 May 2023 15:40:08 +0200
 by: Pandora - Fri, 26 May 2023 13:40 UTC

The Injury Costs of Knapping.

Abstract

For at least three million years, knapping stone has been practiced by
hominin societies large and small, past and present. Thus,
understanding knapping, knappers, and knapping cultures is fundamental
to anthropological research around the world. Although there is a
general sense that stone knapping is inherently dangerous and can lead
to injury, little is formally, specifically, or systematically known
about the frequency, location, or severity of knapping injuries.
Toward this end, we conducted a 31-question survey of modern knappers
to better understand knapping risks. Responses from 173 survey
participants suggest that knapping injuries are a real and persistent
hazard, even though a majority of modern knappers use personal
protective equipment. A variety of injuries (lacerations, punctures,
aches, etc.) can occur on nearly any part of the body. The severity of
injury sustained by some of our participants is shocking, and nearly
one-quarter of respondents reported having sought or received
professional medical attention for a flintknapping-related injury.
Overall, the results of this survey suggest that there would have
likely been serious, even fatal, costs to knappers in past societies.
Such costs may have encouraged the deployment of any social learning
capacities possessed by hominins or delayed the learning or exposure
of young infants or children to knapping.

Open access:
https://doi.org/10.1017/aaq.2023.27

More than half of all injuries to hands and fingers.
Fortunately less than 1% to the family jewels (see fig.1).

Re: The dangers of knapping

<bb171b5b-d610-4ab3-94cb-648ff5e6ccb3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=17229&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#17229

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Sat, 27 May 2023 09:46:26 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: The dangers of knapping
From: jte...@gmail.com (JTEM is so reasonable)
 by: JTEM is so reasonabl - Sat, 27 May 2023 16:46 UTC

Pandora wrote:

> The Injury Costs of Knapping.
>
> Abstract
>
> For at least three million years, knapping stone has been practiced by
> hominin societies large and small, past and present. Thus,
> understanding knapping, knappers, and knapping cultures is fundamental
> to anthropological research around the world. Although there is a
> general sense that stone knapping is inherently dangerous and can lead
> to injury, little is formally, specifically, or systematically known
> about the frequency, location, or severity of knapping injuries.
> Toward this end, we conducted a 31-question survey of modern knappers
> to better understand knapping risks. Responses from 173 survey
> participants suggest that knapping injuries are a real and persistent
> hazard, even though a majority of modern knappers use personal
> protective equipment. A variety of injuries (lacerations, punctures,
> aches, etc.) can occur on nearly any part of the body. The severity of
> injury sustained by some of our participants is shocking, and nearly
> one-quarter of respondents reported having sought or received
> professional medical attention for a flintknapping-related injury.
> Overall, the results of this survey suggest that there would have
> likely been serious, even fatal, costs to knappers in past societies.
> Such costs may have encouraged the deployment of any social learning
> capacities possessed by hominins or delayed the learning or exposure
> of young infants or children to knapping.

Flint is sharp and obsidian is even sharper! I've speculated, here, is
the use of obsidian could be evidence for footwear.

-- --

https://jtem.tumblr.com/post/718317969351000064