From: inval...@invalid.invalid (Primum Sapienti)
Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Subject: Eighty million years of rapid evolution of the primate Y chromosome
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2023 00:24:12 -0600
 by: Primum Sapienti - Sun, 4 Jun 2023 06:24 UTC

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41559-022-01974-x
Published: 02 June 2023

Abstract
The Y chromosome usually plays a critical role in
determining male sex and comprises sequence classes
that have experienced unique evolutionary
trajectories. Here we generated 19 new primate sex
chromosome assemblies, analysed them with 10
existing assemblies and report rapid evolution of
the Y chromosome across primates. The pseudoautosomal
boundary has shifted at least six times during
primate evolution, leading to the formation of a
Simiiformes-specific evolutionary stratum and to the
independent start of young strata in Catarrhini and
Platyrrhini. Different primate lineages experienced
different rates of gene loss and structural and
chromatin change on their Y chromosomes. Selection
on several Y-linked genes has contributed to the
evolution of male developmental traits across the
primates. Additionally, lineage-specific expansions
of ampliconic regions have further increased the
diversification of the structure and gene
composition of the Y chromosome. Overall, our
comprehensive analysis has broadened our knowledge
of the evolution of the primate Y chromosome.