From: inval...@invalid.invalid (Primum Sapienti)
Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Subject: Mobility_of_the_human_foot’s_medial_arch_helps_en
able_upright_bipedal_locomotion
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2023 22:43:22 -0600
 by: Primum Sapienti - Mon, 12 Jun 2023 04:43 UTC

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fbioe.2023.1155439/full
Mobility of the human foot’s medial arch helps enable upright
bipedal locomotion
Front. Bioeng. Biotechnol., 30 May 2023

Developing the ability to habitually walk and run upright
on two feet is one of the most significant transformations
to have occurred in human evolution. Many musculoskeletal
adaptations enabled bipedal locomotion, including dramatic
structural changes to the foot and, in particular, the
evolution of an elevated medial arch. The foot’s arched
structure has previously been assumed to play a central
role in directly propelling the center of mass forward and
upward through leverage about the toes and a spring-like
energy recoil. However, it is unclear whether or how the
plantarflexion mobility and height of the medial arch
support its propulsive lever function. We use high-speed
biplanar x-ray measurements of foot bone motion on seven
participants while walking and running and compare their
motion to a subject-specific model without arch recoil. We
show that regardless of intraspecific differences in medial
arch height, arch recoil enables a longer contact time and
favorable propulsive conditions at the ankle for walking
upright on an extended leg. The generally overlooked
navicular-medial cuneiform joint is primarily responsible
for arch recoil in human arches. The mechanism through
which arch recoil enables an upright ankle posture may have
helped drive the evolution of the longitudinal arch after
our last common ancestor with chimpanzees, who lack arch
plantarflexion mobility during push-off. Future
morphological investigations of the navicular-medial
cuneiform joint will likely provide new interpretations of
the fossil record. Our work further suggests that enabling
medial arch recoil in footwear and surgical interventions
may be critical for maintaining the ankle’s natural
propulsive ability.

Re: Mobility of the human foot’s medial arch helps enable upright bipedal locomotion

<a2a5975d-b06a-45ca-99b5-5ff73ea109d9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=17287&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#17287

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2023 07:29:13 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re:_Mobility_of_the_human_foot’s_medial_arch_helps
_enable_upright_bipedal_locomotion
From: littoral...@gmail.com (littor...@gmail.com)
 by: littor...@gmail.com - Mon, 12 Jun 2023 14:29 UTC

Op maandag 12 juni 2023 om 06:43:27 UTC+2 schreef Primum Sapienti:
> https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fbioe.2023.1155439/full
> Mobility of the human foot’s medial arch helps enable upright
> bipedal locomotion
> Front. Bioeng. Biotechnol., 30 May 2023

I thought I had already answered this (becoming a bit old?):
this paper is a *perfect* confirmation of what we're saying :-)
Homo evolution:
-- Pliocene ancestors, google "aquarboreal": wading+climbing
-- H.erectus, google "pachyosteosclerosis": wading+diving,
-- late-Pleist.H.sapiens "coastal dispersal": wading+walking.

IOW, only *incredible* imbeciles still assume their Pleist.ancestors with big noses & poor olfactions ran after antelopes over Afr.savannas...
:-DDD

____

> Developing the ability to habitually walk and run upright
> on two feet is one of the most significant transformations
> to have occurred in human evolution. Many musculoskeletal
> adaptations enabled bipedal locomotion, including dramatic
> structural changes to the foot and, in particular, the
> evolution of an elevated medial arch. The foot’s arched
> structure has previously been assumed to play a central
> role in directly propelling the center of mass forward and
> upward through leverage about the toes and a spring-like
> energy recoil. However, it is unclear whether or how the
> plantarflexion mobility and height of the medial arch
> support its propulsive lever function. We use high-speed
> biplanar x-ray measurements of foot bone motion on seven
> participants while walking and running and compare their
> motion to a subject-specific model without arch recoil. We
> show that regardless of intraspecific differences in medial
> arch height, arch recoil enables a longer contact time and
> favorable propulsive conditions at the ankle for walking
> upright on an extended leg. The generally overlooked
> navicular-medial cuneiform joint is primarily responsible
> for arch recoil in human arches. The mechanism through
> which arch recoil enables an upright ankle posture may have
> helped drive the evolution of the longitudinal arch after
> our last common ancestor with chimpanzees, who lack arch
> plantarflexion mobility during push-off. Future
> morphological investigations of the navicular-medial
> cuneiform joint will likely provide new interpretations of
> the fossil record. Our work further suggests that enabling
> medial arch recoil in footwear and surgical interventions
> may be critical for maintaining the ankle’s natural
> propulsive ability.

Re: Mobility of the human foot’s medial arch helps enable upright bipedal locomotion

<5480f803-e668-44b2-acb8-573070be6820n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=17324&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#17324

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2023 18:55:18 -0700 (PDT)
_enable_upright_bipedal_locomotion
From: peter2ny...@gmail.com (Peter Nyikos)
 by: Peter Nyikos - Sat, 17 Jun 2023 01:55 UTC

On Monday, June 12, 2023 at 10:29:15 AM UTC-4, littor...@gmail.com wrote:
> Op maandag 12 juni 2023 om 06:43:27 UTC+2 schreef Primum Sapienti:

> > https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fbioe.2023.1155439/full
> > Mobility of the human foot’s medial arch helps enable upright
> > bipedal locomotion
> > Front. Bioeng. Biotechnol., 30 May 2023
> I thought I had already answered this (becoming a bit old?):
> this paper is a *perfect* confirmation of what we're saying :-)

I see no connection whatsoever with what is quoted below.
You did this once before, and despite your MD degree,
you never explained why the arch has anything to do with
what you write next:

> Homo evolution:
> -- Pliocene ancestors, google "aquarboreal": wading+climbing
> -- H.erectus, google "pachyosteosclerosis": wading+diving,
> -- late-Pleist.H.sapiens "coastal dispersal": wading+walking.

<snip your favorite straw man, repeated ad infinitum with
no connection to what is below>.

> ____
> > Developing the ability to habitually walk and run upright
> > on two feet is one of the most significant transformations
> > to have occurred in human evolution. Many musculoskeletal
> > adaptations enabled bipedal locomotion, including dramatic
> > structural changes to the foot and, in particular, the
> > evolution of an elevated medial arch. The foot’s arched
> > structure has previously been assumed to play a central
> > role in directly propelling the center of mass forward and
> > upward through leverage about the toes and a spring-like
> > energy recoil. However, it is unclear whether or how the
> > plantarflexion mobility and height of the medial arch
> > support its propulsive lever function. We use high-speed
> > biplanar x-ray measurements of foot bone motion on seven
> > participants while walking and running and compare their
> > motion to a subject-specific model without arch recoil. We
> > show that regardless of intraspecific differences in medial
> > arch height, arch recoil enables a longer contact time and
> > favorable propulsive conditions at the ankle for walking
> > upright on an extended leg. The generally overlooked
> > navicular-medial cuneiform joint is primarily responsible
> > for arch recoil in human arches. The mechanism through
> > which arch recoil enables an upright ankle posture may have
> > helped drive the evolution of the longitudinal arch after
> > our last common ancestor with chimpanzees, who lack arch
> > plantarflexion mobility during push-off. Future
> > morphological investigations of the navicular-medial
> > cuneiform joint will likely provide new interpretations of
> > the fossil record. Our work further suggests that enabling
> > medial arch recoil in footwear and surgical interventions
> > may be critical for maintaining the ankle’s natural
> > propulsive ability.

This sounds a lot more helpful than your endless self-advertisement.

Peter Nyikos
Professor, Dept. of Mathematics -- standard disclaimer--
University of South Carolina
http://people.math.sc.edu/nyikos

Re: Mobility of the human foot’s medial arch helps enable upright bipedal locomotion

<8bd0c174-b049-44fd-af86-41ccc1f51724n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=17326&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#17326

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2023 02:32:10 -0700 (PDT)
_enable_upright_bipedal_locomotion
From: littoral...@gmail.com (littor...@gmail.com)
 by: littor...@gmail.com - Sat, 17 Jun 2023 09:32 UTC

Op zaterdag 17 juni 2023 om 03:55:19 UTC+2 schreef Peter Nyikos:

nothing of interest:

> > > https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fbioe.2023.1155439/full
> > > Mobility of the human foot’s medial arch helps enable upright
> > > bipedal locomotion
> > > Front. Bioeng. Biotechnol., 30 May 2023
> > I thought I had already answered this (becoming a bit old?):
> > this paper is a *perfect* confirmation of what we're saying :-)
> > Homo evolution:
> > -- Pliocene ancestors, google "aquarboreal": wading+climbing
> > -- H.erectus, google "pachyosteosclerosis": wading+diving,
> > -- late-Pleist.H.sapiens "coastal dispersal": wading+walking.

> > > Developing the ability to habitually walk and run upright
> > > on 2 feet is one of the most significant transformations
> > > to have occurred in human evolution.

"human"??? :-DDD

The earliest Hominoidea (already (late-)Oligocene?) were already BP:
google "aquarboreal":
- hylobatids & humans still are BP,
- Pongo -> fist-walk,
- Pan // Gorilla -> knuckle-walk.

> > > Many musculoskeletal
> > > adaptations enabled bipedal locomotion, including dramatic
> > > structural changes to the foot and, in particular, the
> > > evolution of an elevated medial arch. ...

:-DDD
Ridiculous just-so blabla: see ostrich & any bird, kangaroo etc.
They reason: humans have flat feet, humans are BP, so we need flat feet to walk BPly.
They've never never heard of logica.

Our flat feet are explained by our evolution:
-wading-climbing Pliocene Homo S.Asian coasts, google "aquarboreal",
-wading-diving early-Pleist.H.erectus, google "pachyosteosclerosis",
-wading-walking late-Pleist.humans, google "gondwanatalks verhaegen bonne".