[We] use bad software and bad machines for the wrong things. -- R. W. Hamming

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: Google is moving away from APKs on the Play Store for new apps as AABs starting in Autust 2021

SubjectAuthor
* Google is moving away from APKs on the Play Store for new apps as AABs starting paul
+* Re: Google is moving away from APKs on the Play Store for new apps as AABs startVanguardLH
|+* Re: Google is moving away from APKs on the Play Store for new apps as AABs startpaul
||+* Re: Google is moving away from APKs on the Play Store for new apps as AABs startnospam
|||`* Re: Google is moving away from APKs on the Play Store for new apps as AABs startpaul
||| `* Re: Google is moving away from APKs on the Play Store for new apps as AABs startVanguardLH
|||  `- Re: Google is moving away from APKs on the Play Store for new apps as AABs startpaul
||+* Re: Google is moving away from APKs on the Play Store for new apps as AABs startVanguardLH
|||`- Re: Google is moving away from APKs on the Play Store for new apps as AABs startpaul
||`* Re: Google is moving away from APKs on the Play Store for new apps as AABs startChris Green
|| `- Re: Google is moving away from APKs on the Play Store for new apps as AABs startRJH
|+* Re: Google is moving away from APKs on the Play Store for new apps as AABs startFrank Slootweg
||`- Re: Google is moving away from APKs on the Play Store for new apps as AABs startpaul
|`* Re: Google is moving away from APKs on the Play Store for new apps assms
| `* Re: Google is moving away from APKs on the Play Store for new apps as AABs startMartin Brown
|  `* Re: Google is moving away from APKs on the Play Store for new apps assms
|   `* Re: Google is moving away from APKs on the Play Store for new apps asAndy Burns
|    `* Re: Google is moving away from APKs on the Play Store for new apps as AABs startpaul
|     `- Re: Google is moving away from APKs on the Play Store for new apps asAndy Burns
+* Re: Google is moving away from APKs on the Play Store for new apps asAndy Burns
|`* Re: Google is moving away from APKs on the Play Store for new apps as AABs startpaul
| `* Re: Google is moving away from APKs on the Play Store for new apps asAndy Burns
|  `* Re: Google is moving away from APKs on the Play Store for new apps as AABs startpaul
|   `* Re: Google is moving away from APKs on the Play Store for new apps as AABs startnospam
|    `* Re: Google is moving away from APKs on the Play Store for new apps as AABs startpaul
|     `* Re: Google is moving away from APKs on the Play Store for new apps as AABs startnospam
|      `- Re: Google is moving away from APKs on the Play Store for new apps as AABs startpaul
`* Re: Google is moving away from APKs on the Play Store for new apps as AABs startEli the Bearded
 `* Re: Google is moving away from APKs on the Play Store for new apps as AABs startpaul
  `* Re: Google is moving away from APKs on the Play Store for new apps as AABs startEli the Bearded
   `* Re: Google is moving away from APKs on the Play Store for new apps as AABs startpaul
    +- Re: Google is moving away from APKs on the Play Store for new apps asAlan Baker
    `- Re: Google is moving away from APKs on the Play Store for new apps as AABs startpaul

Pages:12
Re: Google is moving away from APKs on the Play Store for new apps as AABs starting in Autust 2021

<sblhpo$ptc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17349&group=comp.mobile.android#17349

From: notonyou...@no.no.no.no (Alan Baker)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Google is moving away from APKs on the Play Store for new apps as
AABs starting in Autust 2021
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2021 16:06:32 -0700
 by: Alan Baker - Thu, 1 Jul 2021 23:06 UTC

On 2021-07-01 4:01 p.m., paul wrote:
> Eli the Bearded wrote on 01.07.2021 19:16
>> The "MARKET" doesn't understand the difference. Developers and a small
>> percent of power users do, and likely a smaller percent of both care.
>
> The "MARKET" is whomever it is that provides the functionality.
>
> For example, Google YouTube is, to me, an obnoxious assault by ads.
> Luckily, "the MARKET" provided NewPipe, which eliminates those ads.

You mean, you were given a way to cheat to get something for free to
which you were not entitles.

<snip>

Re: Google is moving away from APKs on the Play Store for new apps as AABs starting in Autust 2021

<sbli3l$itf$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17351&group=comp.mobile.android#17351

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (paul)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Google is moving away from APKs on the Play Store for new apps as AABs starting in Autust 2021
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2021 01:11:58 +0200
 by: paul - Thu, 1 Jul 2021 23:11 UTC

paul wrote on 02.07.2021 01:01

Subject: What's the status of AV1 decoding hardware in phones anyway
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2021 01:09:52 +0200
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android

What's the status of AV1 decoding hardware in phones anyway?
--
Android users employ logic while Apple users only seem to rely on emotion.

Re: Google is moving away from APKs on the Play Store for new apps as AABs starting in Autust 2021

<sbnlsd$v3d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17360&group=comp.mobile.android#17360

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
AABs starting in Autust 2021
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2021 11:28:27 -0700
 by: sms - Fri, 2 Jul 2021 18:28 UTC

On 6/30/2021 6:19 PM, VanguardLH wrote:

<snip>

> Whew! I thought for a moment that Google was going to fuck over their
> customers with a new end-device package format that would render all old
> smartphones (which don't get Android updates after a phone gets
> discontinued, which about a year) unusable with a new package format at
> the end device.
>
> AAB, introduced back in May 2018, is a publishing format (app author to
> Play Store), so this has been coming for 3 years, and the hammer comes
> down in August. APK remains the delivery format to the end devices.

As long as other app stores can still distribute apps as APKs that's
fine. But it sounds like users won't necessarily be able to export AAB
format apps from their device. This capability can be useful at times.
But it's not clear from those articles whether or not that capability
will go away.

Re: Google is moving away from APKs on the Play Store for new apps as AABs starting in Autust 2021

<sbnp98$j1k$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17361&group=comp.mobile.android#17361

From: '''newsp...@nezumi.demon.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2021 20:26:41 +0100
 by: Martin Brown - Fri, 2 Jul 2021 19:26 UTC

On 03/07/2021 03:28, sms wrote:
> As long as other app stores can still distribute apps as APKs that's
> fine. But it sounds like users won't necessarily be able to export AAB
> format apps from their device. This capability can be useful at times.
> But it's not clear from those articles whether or not that capability
> will go away.

It seems probably likely that an AAB downloaded off Google Play will never
be able to be exported by the user to a machine portable APK anymore.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Re: Google is moving away from APKs on the Play Store for new apps as AABs starting in Autust 2021

<sbnr46$4cv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17362&group=comp.mobile.android#17362

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
AABs starting in Autust 2021
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2021 12:57:58 -0700
 by: sms - Fri, 2 Jul 2021 19:57 UTC

On 7/2/2021 12:26 PM, Martin Brown wrote:
> On 03/07/2021 03:28, sms wrote:
>> As long as other app stores can still distribute apps as APKs that's
>> fine. But it sounds like users won't necessarily be able to export AAB
>> format apps from their device. This capability can be useful at times.
>> But it's not clear from those articles whether or not that capability
>> will go away.
>
> It seems probably likely that an AAB downloaded off Google Play will never
> be able to be exported by the user to a machine portable APK anymore.

That's too bad, it was useful to be able to backup all your apps, but it
was especially useful to be able to export apps that were no longer
available on the Play Store, and install them onto new devices; this was
not needed often, but it was occasionally useful.

Re: Google is moving away from APKs on the Play Store for new apps as AABs starting in Autust 2021

<ik99ikF3btoU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17363&group=comp.mobile.android#17363

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
AABs starting in Autust 2021
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2021 21:00:19 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 2 Jul 2021 20:00 UTC

sms wrote:

> it was especially useful to be able to export apps that were no longer
> available on the Play Store, and install them onto new devices; this was
> not needed often, but it was occasionally useful.

Will the feature to "beam" an app from one phone to another go away? It
was only recently added ...

Re: Google is moving away from APKs on the Play Store for new apps as AABs starting in Autust 2021

<sbpbpf$1gaq$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17374&group=comp.mobile.android#17374

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (paul)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2021 11:48:40 +0200
 by: paul - Sat, 3 Jul 2021 09:48 UTC

Andy Burns wrote on 02.07.2021 22:00
> Will the feature to "beam" an app from one phone to another go away? It
> was only recently added ...

I can't see how it could work given AABs are crippled (much like Apple IPAs
are crippled) by removing _all_ the portability that was built into the app.
https://gizmodo.com/people-who-hate-walled-gardens-aren-t-going-to-like-whe-1847221570

−− As the name suggests, these "Split APKs" aren't entire apps. They're
parts of an app, each targeting a specific area of change, that combine to
form the final app. With App Bundles, if you have a high-resolution, ARMv8
device with a locale set to English with App Bundles, the Play Store will
spit out a set of Split APKs that supports only that device type. If your
friend has a low-resolution ARM v7 phone set for English and Hindi, they'll
get another set of APK that supports exactly that. Google Play can generate
bespoke APKs for every user, giving them only the code they need and nothing
more.

Re: Google is moving away from APKs on the Play Store for new apps as AABs starting in Autust 2021

<ikas3vFcelrU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17375&group=comp.mobile.android#17375

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
AABs starting in Autust 2021
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2021 11:22:54 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 3 Jul 2021 10:22 UTC

paul wrote:

> these "Split APKs" aren't entire apps. They're
> parts of an app, each targeting a specific area of change, that combine to
> form the final app. With App Bundles, if you have a high-resolution, ARMv8
> device with a locale set to English with App Bundles, the Play Store will
> spit out a set of Split APKs that supports only that device type.

But that's not a new concept, for years I've noticed on sites like
apkmirror, there are numerous variations of some apps e.g. by cpu
architecture and device dpi.