...and scantily clad females, of course. Who cares if it's below zero outside. -- Linus Torvalds

computers / comp.mobile.android / Android Outlook sounds AGAIN

SubjectAuthor
* Android Outlook sounds AGAINJim S
+* Re: Android Outlook sounds AGAINVanguardLH
|`- Re: Android Outlook sounds AGAINJim S
`* Re: Android Outlook sounds AGAINs|b
 +- Re: Android Outlook sounds AGAINJim S
 `* Re: Android Outlook sounds AGAINVanguardLH
  `* Re: Android Outlook sounds AGAINs|b
   `* Re: Android Outlook sounds AGAINVanguardLH
    `* Re: Android Outlook sounds AGAIN [OT]s|b
     `- Re: Android Outlook sounds AGAIN [OT]VanguardLH

1
Android Outlook sounds AGAIN

<9god948lf0gg.auckvtppwxsi$.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17469&group=comp.mobile.android#17469

From: jim...@jimXscott.co.uk (Jim S)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Android Outlook sounds AGAIN
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2021 10:01:49 +0100
 by: Jim S - Thu, 8 Jul 2021 09:01 UTC

I am trying to return to Outlook email on android (v11), but cannot get it
to sound incoming notifications.
Looking through the web I am clearly not alone in this. I have tried all
the solutions suggested to no avail. I contacted Microsoft through the app
and surprisingly they replied, but their suggestion were no different from
the others.
I don't really want to know if your app works well, but would like to hear
from someone who has recovered the notifications from not having them
--
Jim S

Re: Android Outlook sounds AGAIN

<1wfb1w2cp5cae.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17470&group=comp.mobile.android#17470

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Android Outlook sounds AGAIN
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2021 10:21:39 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Thu, 8 Jul 2021 15:21 UTC

Jim S <jim@jimXscott.co.uk> wrote:

> I am trying to return to Outlook email on android (v11), but cannot get it
> to sound incoming notifications.
> Looking through the web I am clearly not alone in this. I have tried all
> the solutions suggested to no avail. I contacted Microsoft through the app
> and surprisingly they replied, but their suggestion were no different from
> the others.
> I don't really want to know if your app works well, but would like to hear
> from someone who has recovered the notifications from not having them

You didn't mention what were the suggestions you found, so expect
duplication in any replies here.

Did you check in Android's settings on the Outlook app to make sure it
has permissions to issue notifications? For me, the nav path is:

Settings -> General -> Apps & Notifications -> Notifications -> Apps.
Pick Outlook.

There's an On/Off slider. If off, all notifications are blocked.

For each account defined in Outlook, there is a separate section for
each account, so you can tweak notifications per account. For me, under
each is Event reminders (enabled) and Mail (enabled), and for each
account defined in Outlook (I have 3 accounts). In addition, there is
an Other section for notification settings on downloads, in-app support,
and Info (all enabled).

I've gone into app notifications several times to silence some rude
apps. An app might have settings (within the app's menu config)
regarding what notifications it will show, but too often I've hit apps
that don't honor those settings, or their settings don't cover some
category of notification, like you try to silence the app, but it still
pukes out their weekly ad. So, I go into the Android settings on the
app and disable notifications there. The app cannot override the
OS-level block. The rude app becomes silent.

After checking the OS-level notifications are enabled for the app, have
you gone into the app's own config (menu -> settings) to check the app
itself has notifications enabled? In Outlook, there are separate
notification settings for Mail and Calender. You didn't mention which
type of notifications you were missing: new mail received, or for a
calendar event.

Re: Android Outlook sounds AGAIN

<237yu9nm2a0k$.cv48nfgn1tgo.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17497&group=comp.mobile.android#17497

From: jim...@jimXscott.co.uk (Jim S)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2021 19:48:31 +0100
 by: Jim S - Thu, 8 Jul 2021 18:48 UTC

On Thu, 8 Jul 2021 10:21:39 -0500, VanguardLH wrote:

> Jim S <jim@jimXscott.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> I am trying to return to Outlook email on android (v11), but cannot get it
>> to sound incoming notifications.
>> Looking through the web I am clearly not alone in this. I have tried all
>> the solutions suggested to no avail. I contacted Microsoft through the app
>> and surprisingly they replied, but their suggestion were no different from
>> the others.
>> I don't really want to know if your app works well, but would like to hear
>> from someone who has recovered the notifications from not having them
>
> You didn't mention what were the suggestions you found, so expect
> duplication in any replies here.
>
> Did you check in Android's settings on the Outlook app to make sure it
> has permissions to issue notifications? For me, the nav path is:
>
> Settings -> General -> Apps & Notifications -> Notifications -> Apps.
> Pick Outlook.
>
> There's an On/Off slider. If off, all notifications are blocked.
>
> For each account defined in Outlook, there is a separate section for
> each account, so you can tweak notifications per account. For me, under
> each is Event reminders (enabled) and Mail (enabled), and for each
> account defined in Outlook (I have 3 accounts). In addition, there is
> an Other section for notification settings on downloads, in-app support,
> and Info (all enabled).
>
> I've gone into app notifications several times to silence some rude
> apps. An app might have settings (within the app's menu config)
> regarding what notifications it will show, but too often I've hit apps
> that don't honor those settings, or their settings don't cover some
> category of notification, like you try to silence the app, but it still
> pukes out their weekly ad. So, I go into the Android settings on the
> app and disable notifications there. The app cannot override the
> OS-level block. The rude app becomes silent.
>
> After checking the OS-level notifications are enabled for the app, have
> you gone into the app's own config (menu -> settings) to check the app
> itself has notifications enabled? In Outlook, there are separate
> notification settings for Mail and Calender. You didn't mention which
> type of notifications you were missing: new mail received, or for a
> calendar event.

Yes, yes, yes and yes. New mail received is the one. I've not used the
Calendar notifier.
It never seemed to be so 'touchy'. Once you have added an account, I see no
way of changing the imap and smtp settings without starting over.
It only applies to my two IMAP accounts. Gmail accounts notify fine.
It's not the greatest client in the world, but most of my emails have photo
attachments and it does that very well even if it won't tell me.
K9 is fine but a mess. I think I will probably forget Outlook for now and
use Edison Email which does all I want with a minor annoyance that I have
contacted the owners about.
--
Jim S

Re: Android Outlook sounds AGAIN

<ikthi0F365U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17593&group=comp.mobile.android#17593

From: me...@privacy.invalid (s|b)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2021 14:19:18 +0200
 by: s|b - Sat, 10 Jul 2021 12:19 UTC

On Thu, 8 Jul 2021 10:01:49 +0100, Jim S wrote:

> I don't really want to know if your app works well, but would like to hear
> from someone who has recovered the notifications from not having them

I use the app for work and notifications work, but not always. They do
*not* when I have filters that move mails to a certain folder. I only
get warned about mails received in the main directory. IMO the app is
crap, but my employer forces me to use it.

--
s|b

Re: Android Outlook sounds AGAIN

<w2mdc6d5ei0g.1tigoffrnpbvl$.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17599&group=comp.mobile.android#17599

From: jim...@jimXscott.co.uk (Jim S)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2021 17:14:45 +0100
 by: Jim S - Sat, 10 Jul 2021 16:14 UTC

On Sat, 10 Jul 2021 14:19:18 +0200, s|b wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Jul 2021 10:01:49 +0100, Jim S wrote:
>
>> I don't really want to know if your app works well, but would like to hear
>> from someone who has recovered the notifications from not having them
>
> I use the app for work and notifications work, but not always. They do
> *not* when I have filters that move mails to a certain folder. I only
> get warned about mails received in the main directory. IMO the app is
> crap, but my employer forces me to use it.

Thanks I've given Outlook up as a bad job.
I am currently comapring K9, Nine, Spark, Samsung, myMail and Enigma to see
how that handle Push Mail with images inline and attached. The others
available I have discarded.
None of them is as good as Thunderbird on my desktop, but Enigma comes
nearest so far.
--
Jim S

Re: Android Outlook sounds AGAIN

<1xb88y5wylr4e$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17601&group=comp.mobile.android#17601

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2021 11:51:38 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Sat, 10 Jul 2021 16:51 UTC

s|b <me@privacy.invalid> wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Jul 2021 10:01:49 +0100, Jim S wrote:
>
>> I don't really want to know if your app works well, but would like to hear
>> from someone who has recovered the notifications from not having them
>
> I use the app for work and notifications work, but not always. They do
> *not* when I have filters that move mails to a certain folder. I only
> get warned about mails received in the main directory. IMO the app is
> crap, but my employer forces me to use it.

That's how the vast majority of e-mail clients work on many platforms,
not just MS Outlook on Android. Notifications appear when new messages
show in the Inbox folder, not when they show up in any other folder.
Server-side user-defined rules and server-side anti-spam filters can
save messages into folders *other* than the Inbox. Clients expect new
messages to show in the Inbox folder, not somewhere else.

If the desktop Outlook program, when you define a filter that moves a
new message out of the Inbox into a different folder, you can add a
clause to the filter to show an alert window. Not available in the
Android version of MS Outlook, because Android apps are diminutive
versions of desktop software. There is no client-side filtering in the
Android MS Outlook app. It will, just like other e-mail clients, look
for new messages to arrive in the Inbox folder; however, if something on
the server end moved the new message into a different folder, well, then
it didn't get put in the Inbox folder.

Re: Android Outlook sounds AGAIN

<il0io7Fhvi0U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17660&group=comp.mobile.android#17660

From: me...@privacy.invalid (s|b)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2021 17:58:00 +0200
 by: s|b - Sun, 11 Jul 2021 15:58 UTC

On Sat, 10 Jul 2021 11:51:38 -0500, VanguardLH wrote:

> That's how the vast majority of e-mail clients work on many platforms,
> not just MS Outlook on Android. Notifications appear when new messages
> show in the Inbox folder, not when they show up in any other folder.

The folders /are/ in the Inbox. AFAIK Thunderbird doesn't show this
behaviour (does it?).

> Server-side user-defined rules and server-side anti-spam filters can
> save messages into folders *other* than the Inbox. Clients expect new
> messages to show in the Inbox folder, not somewhere else.

But the folders are situated in the Inbox.
> If the desktop Outlook program, when you define a filter that moves a
> new message out of the Inbox into a different folder, you can add a
> clause to the filter to show an alert window.

No, I can't. I'm using Outlook through my browser.

> Not available in the
> Android version of MS Outlook, because Android apps are diminutive
> versions of desktop software. There is no client-side filtering in the
> Android MS Outlook app. It will, just like other e-mail clients, look
> for new messages to arrive in the Inbox folder; however, if something on
> the server end moved the new message into a different folder, well, then
> it didn't get put in the Inbox folder.

The way I see it is that mails /always/ arrive in the Inbox. When
there's a rule set to have it moved to a certain folder, it does it
/after/ the mail arrived in the Inbox. Anyway, Outlook is still a POS.

--
s|b

Re: Android Outlook sounds AGAIN

<1xajdkdxj6c4i.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17664&group=comp.mobile.android#17664

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2021 11:39:21 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Sun, 11 Jul 2021 16:39 UTC

s|b <me@privacy.invalid> wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote:
>
>> That's how the vast majority of e-mail clients work on many platforms,
>> not just MS Outlook on Android. Notifications appear when new messages
>> show in the Inbox folder, not when they show up in any other folder.
>
> The folders /are/ in the Inbox. AFAIK Thunderbird doesn't show this
> behaviour (does it?).

The Inbox is a folder (technically it is a mailbox). Don't know what
you mean by "folders are in the Inbox". You can have subfolders to the
Inbox folder, but you cannot have folders inside the Inbox folder.
Sent, Deleted, Junk, Archive, Drafts are *not* subfolders of the Inbox
folder. They are their own root level folders, just like the Inbox
folder.

>> Server-side user-defined rules and server-side anti-spam filters can
>> save messages into folders *other* than the Inbox. Clients expect new
>> messages to show in the Inbox folder, not somewhere else.
>
> But the folders are situated in the Inbox.

Nope. There are folders (mailboxes) under an account. There are no
folders inside of folders. There can be subfolders of folders. Inbox,
Deleted, Trash, Junk are all separate root-level folders, and not inside
or even underneath each other.

>> If the desktop Outlook program, when you define a filter that moves a
>> new message out of the Inbox into a different folder, you can add a
>> clause to the filter to show an alert window.
>
> No, I can't. I'm using Outlook through my browser.

As I said, "In [not if] the *desktop* Outlook program". I did not say
the crippled Android/iOS Outlook app or the deficient Outlook webmail
client had a alert popup feature. The desktop Outlook program can have
alerts added to rules. Well, while the desktop Outlook program is
running then it can popup alert windows.

With the *desktop* Outlook program, and with alerts added to rules you
define in that client, you can have those rules issue an alert when the
rule fires to move a new message into a folder, like when moving some
e-mails to somewhere other than the Inbox folder. You don't get rules
with alerts with the Outlook webmail client or the Android app. Those
mobile/web clients will signal new e-mails that arrive (and stay) in the
Inbox folder.

>> Not available in the
>> Android version of MS Outlook, because Android apps are diminutive
>> versions of desktop software. There is no client-side filtering in the
>> Android MS Outlook app. It will, just like other e-mail clients, look
>> for new messages to arrive in the Inbox folder; however, if something on
>> the server end moved the new message into a different folder, well, then
>> it didn't get put in the Inbox folder.
>
> The way I see it is that mails /always/ arrive in the Inbox.

Again, nope. Anti-spam filtering on the server will move a message to
the Junk folder, and the message never arrived in the Inbox folder. It
didn't go into the Inbox folder to get subsequently moved into the Junk
folder. Anti-spam filters do not behave like user-defined rules. If
flagged by the server-side anti-spam filtering, a new message goes
directly into the Junk filter. Any client (desktop, mobile, webmail)
will not flash a new message showing up in the Inbox only for the new
message to disappear into the Junk folder. Same for user-defined
server-side rules: those get exercised right after spam filtering, and
can move new messages into another folder. The new message didn't
momentarily land in the Inbox folder to immediately get moved elsewhere.

> When there's a rule set to have it moved to a certain folder, it does
> it /after/ the mail arrived in the Inbox. Anyway, Outlook is still a
> POS.

Look at the rules. They don't not say to move from Inbox to other
folder. They just say move to other folder. Anti-spam and user-defined
filters are exercised before depositing the new message. Spam and rules
pre-process the message before deposit, not post-process to rescan the
folders to find which are the new message to then act upon.

Re: Android Outlook sounds AGAIN [OT]

<il3ls3F5nn9U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17685&group=comp.mobile.android#17685

From: me...@privacy.invalid (s|b)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Android Outlook sounds AGAIN [OT]
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 22:09:38 +0200
 by: s|b - Mon, 12 Jul 2021 20:09 UTC

On Sun, 11 Jul 2021 11:39:21 -0500, VanguardLH wrote:

> The Inbox is a folder (technically it is a mailbox). Don't know what
> you mean by "folders are in the Inbox". You can have subfolders to the
> Inbox folder, but you cannot have folders inside the Inbox folder.

<sigh>

In Dutch we call this 'Spijkers zoeken op laag water.', meaning: you're
splitting hairs. You know that's what I meant.

> Nope. There are folders (mailboxes) under an account. There are no
> folders inside of folders. There can be subfolders of folders. Inbox,
> Deleted, Trash, Junk are all separate root-level folders, and not inside
> or even underneath each other.

You know what I meant and you're pedantic.
[not interested in *desktop* Outlook]

> > The way I see it is that mails /always/ arrive in the Inbox.
> Again, nope.

Nope, yes. I said _the way I see it_. Doesn't matter that my point of
view is wrong; I was just stating an opinion. See? I can split hairs
too.

> Look at the rules. They don't not say to move from Inbox to other
> folder. They just say move to other folder. Anti-spam and user-defined
> filters are exercised before depositing the new message. Spam and rules
> pre-process the message before deposit, not post-process to rescan the
> folders to find which are the new message to then act upon.

Yeah, well, it's still a piece of shit.

--
s|b

Re: Android Outlook sounds AGAIN [OT]

<1i88wiy3h2ef9.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17689&group=comp.mobile.android#17689

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 16:21:41 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Mon, 12 Jul 2021 21:21 UTC

s|b <me@privacy.invalid> wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote:
>
>> The Inbox is a folder (technically it is a mailbox). Don't know what
>> you mean by "folders are in the Inbox". You can have subfolders to the
>> Inbox folder, but you cannot have folders inside the Inbox folder.
>
> In Dutch we call this 'Spijkers zoeken op laag water.', meaning: you're
> splitting hairs. You know that's what I meant.
>
>> Nope. There are folders (mailboxes) under an account. There are no
>> folders inside of folders. There can be subfolders of folders. Inbox,
>> Deleted, Trash, Junk are all separate root-level folders, and not inside
>> or even underneath each other.
>
> You know what I meant and you're pedantic.

I can only go by what you say, not what you meant to say.

> Yeah, well, it's still a piece of shit.

The same for any e-mail client or service that provides rules. They
exercise their filters upon arrival of a message, not after deposit into
a mailbox. Must be, then, all e-mail clients are a piece of shit.

computers / comp.mobile.android / Android Outlook sounds AGAIN