linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste (ksh@cis.ufl.edu put this on Tshirts in '93)

tech / rec.audio.pro / Re: Surround-sound/stereo question

SubjectAuthor
* Surround-sound/stereo questionsuper70s
+- Re: Surround-sound/stereo questionDon Pearce
+- Re: Surround-sound/stereo questionTrevor Wilson
+* Re: Surround-sound/stereo questionScott Dorsey
|+- Re: Surround-sound/stereo questionJohn Williamson
|`* Re: Surround-sound/stereo questionsuper70s
| +- Re: Surround-sound/stereo questionDon Pearce
| +- Re: Surround-sound/stereo questiongeoff
| `* Re: Surround-sound/stereo questionScott Dorsey
|  `* Re: Surround-sound/stereo questionsuper70s
|   +* Re: Surround-sound/stereo questiongeoff
|   |`- Re: Surround-sound/stereo questionsuper70s
|   `- Re: Surround-sound/stereo questionScott Dorsey
`- Re: Surround-sound/stereo questionChuck

1
Surround-sound/stereo question

<super70s-7CBD8B.12123212062022@reader.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1745&group=rec.audio.pro#1745

From: super...@super70s.invalid (super70s)
Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Subject: Surround-sound/stereo question
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2022 12:12:32 -0500
 by: super70s - Sun, 12 Jun 2022 17:12 UTC

I'm getting ready to set up a surround-sound system for watching my DVDs
and Blu-rays, for the first time. According to the receiver manual the
normal procedure is hook up the front speakers from the "A" terminal on
the receiver, then hook up the rear speakers using the "surround-sound"
terminals on the receiver.

However since I don't particularly want to listen to my CDs and LPs in
surround-sound, I was wondering if it would hurt anything to run another
set of wires from the "B" terminals on the receiver to the same front
speakers, then activate that using the "B" speakers button on the front
of the receiver. Of course you wouldn't want to have the "A" and "B"
buttons activated at the same time.

I've never tried to run two sets of wires to the same speaker(s) before
and thought I'd check in here before I experimented and screwed up
something bigtime.

I suppose I could always diminish the sound to the rear speakers using
the "A" setup while listening to CDs and LPs using the "+" and "-"
controls on the front of the receiver but this seems like it would be a
big hassle since (according to the manual anyway) you have to kind of
work at it to strike the perfect balance between the front and rear
speakers for the surround-sound effect.

Hope I explained myself clearly and TIA.

Re: Surround-sound/stereo question

<62a63bf2.34609875@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1746&group=rec.audio.pro#1746

From: spa...@spam.com (Don Pearce)
Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Subject: Re: Surround-sound/stereo question
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2022 19:19:53 GMT
 by: Don Pearce - Sun, 12 Jun 2022 19:19 UTC

On Sun, 12 Jun 2022 12:12:32 -0500, super70s
<super70s@super70s.invalid> wrote:

>I'm getting ready to set up a surround-sound system for watching my DVDs
>and Blu-rays, for the first time. According to the receiver manual the
>normal procedure is hook up the front speakers from the "A" terminal on
>the receiver, then hook up the rear speakers using the "surround-sound"
>terminals on the receiver.
>
>However since I don't particularly want to listen to my CDs and LPs in
>surround-sound, I was wondering if it would hurt anything to run another
>set of wires from the "B" terminals on the receiver to the same front
>speakers, then activate that using the "B" speakers button on the front
>of the receiver. Of course you wouldn't want to have the "A" and "B"
>buttons activated at the same time.
>
>I've never tried to run two sets of wires to the same speaker(s) before
>and thought I'd check in here before I experimented and screwed up
>something bigtime.
>
>I suppose I could always diminish the sound to the rear speakers using
>the "A" setup while listening to CDs and LPs using the "+" and "-"
>controls on the front of the receiver but this seems like it would be a
>big hassle since (according to the manual anyway) you have to kind of
>work at it to strike the perfect balance between the front and rear
>speakers for the surround-sound effect.
>
>Hope I explained myself clearly and TIA.

Messing with the wiring this way is certain to release the magic
smoke. Wire it up the way they say and rest assured that neither your
CDs nor your vinyl will be reproduced in surround. They will play
perfectly normally in stereo through the front left and right
speakers.

Re: Surround-sound/stereo question

<jgn0j9F3uqcU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1747&group=rec.audio.pro#1747

From: tre...@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2022 06:28:26 +1000
 by: Trevor Wilson - Sun, 12 Jun 2022 20:28 UTC

On 13/06/2022 3:12 am, super70s wrote:
> I'm getting ready to set up a surround-sound system for watching my DVDs
> and Blu-rays, for the first time. According to the receiver manual the
> normal procedure is hook up the front speakers from the "A" terminal on
> the receiver, then hook up the rear speakers using the "surround-sound"
> terminals on the receiver.
>
> However since I don't particularly want to listen to my CDs and LPs in
> surround-sound, I was wondering if it would hurt anything to run another
> set of wires from the "B" terminals on the receiver to the same front
> speakers, then activate that using the "B" speakers button on the front
> of the receiver. Of course you wouldn't want to have the "A" and "B"
> buttons activated at the same time.
>
> I've never tried to run two sets of wires to the same speaker(s) before
> and thought I'd check in here before I experimented and screwed up
> something bigtime.
>
> I suppose I could always diminish the sound to the rear speakers using
> the "A" setup while listening to CDs and LPs using the "+" and "-"
> controls on the front of the receiver but this seems like it would be a
> big hassle since (according to the manual anyway) you have to kind of
> work at it to strike the perfect balance between the front and rear
> speakers for the surround-sound effect.
>
> Hope I explained myself clearly and TIA.

**Yes, you did. DO NOT DO IT! You will, almost certainly, destroy your
amplifier.

Read the book and follow the instructions contained within. Do not
deviate from those instructions.

Re: Surround-sound/stereo question

<t8602b$db7$1@panix2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1749&group=rec.audio.pro#1749

From: klu...@panix.com (Scott Dorsey)
Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Date: 13 Jun 2022 00:23:39 -0000
 by: Scott Dorsey - Mon, 13 Jun 2022 00:23 UTC

super70s <super70s@super70s.invalid> wrote:

>However since I don't particularly want to listen to my CDs and LPs in
>surround-sound, I was wondering if it would hurt anything to run another
>set of wires from the "B" terminals on the receiver to the same front
>speakers, then activate that using the "B" speakers button on the front
>of the receiver. Of course you wouldn't want to have the "A" and "B"
>buttons activated at the same time.

Why would you expect the CD and phono inputs would be decoded into surround?
I think you are trying to solve a problem that does not exist.
--scott

Re: Surround-sound/stereo question

<jgngm1F6g60U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1750&group=rec.audio.pro#1750

From: johnwill...@btinternet.com (John Williamson)
Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2022 02:02:55 +0100
 by: John Williamson - Mon, 13 Jun 2022 01:02 UTC

On 13/06/2022 01:23, Scott Dorsey wrote:

> Why would you expect the CD and phono inputs would be decoded into surround?
> I think you are trying to solve a problem that does not exist.

Confusing using a modern 5.1 system with the trick we used to use of
connecting the two rear speakers in series between the two positive
connection on the front ones to extract the out of phase reverb?

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Re: Surround-sound/stereo question

<super70s-88D7BD.23535512062022@reader.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1751&group=rec.audio.pro#1751

From: super...@super70s.invalid (super70s)
Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2022 23:53:56 -0500
 by: super70s - Mon, 13 Jun 2022 04:53 UTC

In article <t8602b$db7$1@panix2.panix.com>,
kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

> super70s <super70s@super70s.invalid> wrote:
> >
> >However since I don't particularly want to listen to my CDs and LPs in
> >surround-sound, I was wondering if it would hurt anything to run another
> >set of wires from the "B" terminals on the receiver to the same front
> >speakers, then activate that using the "B" speakers button on the front
> >of the receiver. Of course you wouldn't want to have the "A" and "B"
> >buttons activated at the same time.
>
> Why would you expect the CD and phono inputs would be decoded into surround?
> I think you are trying to solve a problem that does not exist.
> --scott

I didn't expect them to be reproduced in true surround, I just wanted
listen to them only from the front speakers.

I have two other complete (non-surround) stereo systems in my home so I
guess I'll just listen to my CDs and LPs on them.

Or maybe I can just use the "+" and "-" center and rear level controls
in the front of the surround-sound receiver, it would be helpful if
there was some kind of graphic indicator for those on the front but it's
just the four buttons. Then you're supposed to run some test with a
sequence of beeps coming from each of the four speakers to get the
optimum balance from the front and rear.

BTW this receiver I'm using isn't even a more modern "5.1" surround
type, it's an old "Dolby Surround Pro-Logic" from early in the century.
I have HDMI running from the Blu-ray player to the TV but for the TV's
audio out to the receiver I use the old RCA jacks (the only kind the
receiver will accept).

Re: Surround-sound/stereo question

<62a70162.660750@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1752&group=rec.audio.pro#1752

From: spa...@spam.com (Don Pearce)
Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2022 09:22:09 GMT
 by: Don Pearce - Mon, 13 Jun 2022 09:22 UTC

On Sun, 12 Jun 2022 23:53:56 -0500, super70s
<super70s@super70s.invalid> wrote:

>In article <t8602b$db7$1@panix2.panix.com>,
> kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
>
>> super70s <super70s@super70s.invalid> wrote:
>> >
>> >However since I don't particularly want to listen to my CDs and LPs in
>> >surround-sound, I was wondering if it would hurt anything to run another
>> >set of wires from the "B" terminals on the receiver to the same front
>> >speakers, then activate that using the "B" speakers button on the front
>> >of the receiver. Of course you wouldn't want to have the "A" and "B"
>> >buttons activated at the same time.
>>
>> Why would you expect the CD and phono inputs would be decoded into surround?
>> I think you are trying to solve a problem that does not exist.
>> --scott
>
>I didn't expect them to be reproduced in true surround, I just wanted
>listen to them only from the front speakers.
>
>I have two other complete (non-surround) stereo systems in my home so I
>guess I'll just listen to my CDs and LPs on them.
>
>Or maybe I can just use the "+" and "-" center and rear level controls
>in the front of the surround-sound receiver, it would be helpful if
>there was some kind of graphic indicator for those on the front but it's
>just the four buttons. Then you're supposed to run some test with a
>sequence of beeps coming from each of the four speakers to get the
>optimum balance from the front and rear.
>
>BTW this receiver I'm using isn't even a more modern "5.1" surround
>type, it's an old "Dolby Surround Pro-Logic" from early in the century.
>I have HDMI running from the Blu-ray player to the TV but for the TV's
>audio out to the receiver I use the old RCA jacks (the only kind the
>receiver will accept).

Please stop. Just put it together exactly as recommended. Stereo
sources will produce stereo sound from the front speakers. If you hear
stuff from rear speakers you have turned on Pro Logic. Turn that off.

You are simply inventing problems for your self.

Re: Surround-sound/stereo question

<MuSdnS7A4-AIjzr_nZ2dnUU7-fmdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1753&group=rec.audio.pro#1753

Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2022 22:33:55 +1200
Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
From: geo...@nospamgeoffwood.org (geoff)
 by: geoff - Mon, 13 Jun 2022 10:33 UTC

On 13/06/2022 4:53 pm, super70s wrote:
> In article <t8602b$db7$1@panix2.panix.com>,
> kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
>
>> super70s <super70s@super70s.invalid> wrote:
>>>
>>> However since I don't particularly want to listen to my CDs and LPs in
>>> surround-sound, I was wondering if it would hurt anything to run another
>>> set of wires from the "B" terminals on the receiver to the same front
>>> speakers, then activate that using the "B" speakers button on the front
>>> of the receiver. Of course you wouldn't want to have the "A" and "B"
>>> buttons activated at the same time.
>>
>> Why would you expect the CD and phono inputs would be decoded into surround?
>> I think you are trying to solve a problem that does not exist.
>> --scott
>
> I didn't expect them to be reproduced in true surround, I just wanted
> listen to them only from the front speakers.
>
> I have two other complete (non-surround) stereo systems in my home so I
> guess I'll just listen to my CDs and LPs on them.

Read what people said.

If you play a stereo (2 -channel) CD on your system, only the front 2
channels will play anything.

It can't (and won't) magic up stuff to come from the rear speakers.

geoff

Re: Surround-sound/stereo question

<t87feo$skt$1@panix2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1754&group=rec.audio.pro#1754

From: klu...@panix.com (Scott Dorsey)
Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Date: 13 Jun 2022 13:52:24 -0000
 by: Scott Dorsey - Mon, 13 Jun 2022 13:52 UTC

super70s <super70s@super70s.invalid> wrote:

>BTW this receiver I'm using isn't even a more modern "5.1" surround
>type, it's an old "Dolby Surround Pro-Logic" from early in the century.
>I have HDMI running from the Blu-ray player to the TV but for the TV's
>audio out to the receiver I use the old RCA jacks (the only kind the
>receiver will accept).

Okay, so THIS is the first important piece of information that you left off
of your question.

Even so... what makes you think going through the CD input will go through
the pro-logic decoder? The center and surround channels should be silent.
If they are not, you have the receiver configured incorrectly.
--scott

Re: Surround-sound/stereo question

<3pqnYt0S5Expt1+XxJJ59rnndR0z@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1755&group=rec.audio.pro#1755

From: chuc...@dejanews.net (Chuck)
Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2022 15:16:30 -0500
 by: Chuck - Mon, 13 Jun 2022 20:16 UTC

On Sun, 12 Jun 2022 12:12:32 -0500, super70s
<super70s@super70s.invalid> wrote:

>I'm getting ready to set up a surround-sound system for watching my DVDs
>and Blu-rays, for the first time. According to the receiver manual the
>normal procedure is hook up the front speakers from the "A" terminal on
>the receiver, then hook up the rear speakers using the "surround-sound"
>terminals on the receiver.
>
>However since I don't particularly want to listen to my CDs and LPs in
>surround-sound, I was wondering if it would hurt anything to run another
>set of wires from the "B" terminals on the receiver to the same front
>speakers, then activate that using the "B" speakers button on the front
>of the receiver. Of course you wouldn't want to have the "A" and "B"
>buttons activated at the same time.
>
>I've never tried to run two sets of wires to the same speaker(s) before
>and thought I'd check in here before I experimented and screwed up
>something bigtime.
>
>I suppose I could always diminish the sound to the rear speakers using
>the "A" setup while listening to CDs and LPs using the "+" and "-"
>controls on the front of the receiver but this seems like it would be a
>big hassle since (according to the manual anyway) you have to kind of
>work at it to strike the perfect balance between the front and rear
>speakers for the surround-sound effect.
>
>Hope I explained myself clearly and TIA.
Your receiver's remote probably has a stereo button. Push it.

Re: Surround-sound/stereo question

<super70s-4740A0.21245013062022@reader.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1757&group=rec.audio.pro#1757

From: super...@super70s.invalid (super70s)
Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2022 21:24:50 -0500
 by: super70s - Tue, 14 Jun 2022 02:24 UTC

In article <t87feo$skt$1@panix2.panix.com>,
kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

> super70s <super70s@super70s.invalid> wrote:
> >
> >BTW this receiver I'm using isn't even a more modern "5.1" surround
> >type, it's an old "Dolby Surround Pro-Logic" from early in the century.
> >I have HDMI running from the Blu-ray player to the TV but for the TV's
> >audio out to the receiver I use the old RCA jacks (the only kind the
> >receiver will accept).
>
> Okay, so THIS is the first important piece of information that you left off
> of your question.
>
> Even so... what makes you think going through the CD input will go through
> the pro-logic decoder?
> The center and surround channels should be silent.
> If they are not, you have the receiver configured incorrectly.
> --scott

I've never used a true surround sound receiver until now (it's still in
transit) and I assumed (wrongly I guess) all four speakers would be
activated even when using the CD or phono modes.

I was just interested in hearing CDs and LPs from the front speakers
only with a surround set up, the way I've been listening to music for 50
years.

With my previous straight stereo receiver I just had the front speakers
hooked up to "A" and the rear speakers hooked up to "B" and I could turn
the rear speakers on and off when watching video or listening to CDs
accordingly.

Re: Surround-sound/stereo question

<Jf2dndWNPMMLkjX_nZ2dnUU7-UHNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1758&group=rec.audio.pro#1758

Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 16:33:22 +1200
Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
From: geo...@nospamgeoffwood.org (geoff)
 by: geoff - Tue, 14 Jun 2022 04:33 UTC

On 14/06/2022 2:24 pm, super70s wrote:
> In article <t87feo$skt$1@panix2.panix.com>,
> kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
>
>> super70s <super70s@super70s.invalid> wrote:
>>>
>>> BTW this receiver I'm using isn't even a more modern "5.1" surround
>>> type, it's an old "Dolby Surround Pro-Logic" from early in the century.
>>> I have HDMI running from the Blu-ray player to the TV but for the TV's
>>> audio out to the receiver I use the old RCA jacks (the only kind the
>>> receiver will accept).
>>
>> Okay, so THIS is the first important piece of information that you left off
>> of your question.
>>
>> Even so... what makes you think going through the CD input will go through
>> the pro-logic decoder?
>> The center and surround channels should be silent.
>> If they are not, you have the receiver configured incorrectly.
>> --scott
>
> I've never used a true surround sound receiver until now (it's still in
> transit) and I assumed (wrongly I guess) all four speakers would be
> activated even when using the CD or phono modes.
>
> I was just interested in hearing CDs and LPs from the front speakers
> only with a surround set up, the way I've been listening to music for 50
> years.
>
> With my previous straight stereo receiver I just had the front speakers
> hooked up to "A" and the rear speakers hooked up to "B" and I could turn
> the rear speakers on and off when watching video or listening to CDs
> accordingly.

Well it wasn't a 'straight stereo receiver' then !

geoff

Re: Surround-sound/stereo question

<super70s-232CC2.03451415062022@reader01.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1759&group=rec.audio.pro#1759

From: super...@super70s.invalid (super70s)
Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2022 03:45:14 -0500
 by: super70s - Wed, 15 Jun 2022 08:45 UTC

In article <Jf2dndWNPMMLkjX_nZ2dnUU7-UHNnZ2d@giganews.com>,
geoff <geoff@nospamgeoffwood.org> wrote:

> On 14/06/2022 2:24 pm, super70s wrote:
> > In article <t87feo$skt$1@panix2.panix.com>,
> > kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

> >> Okay, so THIS is the first important piece of information that you left off
> >> of your question.
> >>
> >> Even so... what makes you think going through the CD input will go through
> >> the pro-logic decoder?
> >> The center and surround channels should be silent.
> >> If they are not, you have the receiver configured incorrectly.
> >> --scott
> >
> > I've never used a true surround sound receiver until now (it's still in
> > transit) and I assumed (wrongly I guess) all four speakers would be
> > activated even when using the CD or phono modes.
> >
> > I was just interested in hearing CDs and LPs from the front speakers
> > only with a surround set up, the way I've been listening to music for 50
> > years.
> >
> > With my previous straight stereo receiver I just had the front speakers
> > hooked up to "A" and the rear speakers hooked up to "B" and I could turn
> > the rear speakers on and off when watching video or listening to CDs
> > accordingly.
>

> Well it wasn't a 'straight stereo receiver' then !
>
> geoff

I don't think I've ever owned a receiver that didn't have A and B
speaker terminals, even my two almost 50-year-old Marantzes from the
1970s.

Right now I have all the audio from the TV (which includes the Blu-ray
as well as an old VCR) going into one source on the receiver. With the
surround sound receiver I think I'm going to try to hook the audio from
the Blu-ray directly into the receiver (in addition to the HDMI) and
also run the VCR audio into its own source on the receiver. I guess that
would be the better set up.

Re: Surround-sound/stereo question

<ta6lre$58c$1@panix2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1800&group=rec.audio.pro#1800

From: klu...@panix.com (Scott Dorsey)
Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Date: 7 Jul 2022 13:07:58 -0000
 by: Scott Dorsey - Thu, 7 Jul 2022 13:07 UTC

super70s <super70s@super70s.invalid> wrote:
>I've never used a true surround sound receiver until now (it's still in
>transit) and I assumed (wrongly I guess) all four speakers would be
>activated even when using the CD or phono modes.

No. When it is going through the surround decoder, it will route the
appropriate dematrixed signals to the center and surround channel. The
dialogue will be in the center, the ambient rear sounds will be in the
surround just the way it was mixed.

>I was just interested in hearing CDs and LPs from the front speakers
>only with a surround set up, the way I've been listening to music for 50
>years.

I am not sure what you mean by this. Those recordings are not recorded in
surround. If you were to run them through a surround decoder the effect
would be unpredictable with the stereo image constantly moving around.

>With my previous straight stereo receiver I just had the front speakers
>hooked up to "A" and the rear speakers hooked up to "B" and I could turn
>the rear speakers on and off when watching video or listening to CDs
>accordingly.

That would give you the same signals in the front and rear, and no surround
effects of any sort. No center channel either, which is really annoying if
you aren't sitting on the center line of the room.
--scott