If we don't survive, we don't do anything else. -- John Sinclair

interests / sci.anthropology.paleo / Homo tooth wear: sand & molluscs

SubjectAuthor
* Homo tooth wear: sand & molluscslittor...@gmail.com
`* Re: Homo tooth wear: sand & molluscsMario Petrinovic
 `* Re: Homo tooth wear: sand & molluscslittor...@gmail.com
  `* Re: Homo tooth wear: sand & molluscsMario Petrinovic
   `* Re: Homo tooth wear: sand & molluscslittor...@gmail.com
    `* Re: Homo tooth wear: sand & molluscsMario Petrinovic
     `* Re: Homo tooth wear: sand & molluscslittor...@gmail.com
      `* Re: Homo tooth wear: sand & molluscsJTEM is so reasonable
       `- Re: Homo tooth wear: sand & molluscslittor...@gmail.com

1
Homo tooth wear: sand & molluscs

<c7527fb3-7d0b-473c-b934-d48a16468965n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=17645&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#17645

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2023 06:50:40 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Homo tooth wear: sand & molluscs
From: littoral...@gmail.com (littor...@gmail.com)
 by: littor...@gmail.com - Wed, 30 Aug 2023 13:50 UTC

Atypical tooth wear found in fossil hominins also present in a Japanese macaque population
Ian Towle cs 2022 doi org/10.1002/ajpa.24500

Atypical tooth-wear incl. macroscopically visible striations on anterior teeth & within root grooves on posterior teeth are often regarded as evidence of non-masticatory, tool-use behavior in fossil hominins.
Both these types of dental tissue loss are often
- considered unique to the genus Homo,
- suggested to be the earliest evidence of human cultural habits.
We aim to
- describe similar tooth-wear found in a wild primate population,
- conduct a differential diagnosis of this atypical tissue loss.

Wild Jap.macaques (Koshima Island) were provisioned regularly on the beach (part of one of the longest-running primate field-sites).
Tooth-wear & -fractures in this group were compared to 2 other non-provisioned populations.
Infm on diet & behavior were obtained from extensive literature & on-going field-observations.
Results:
All Koshima Island individuals analyzed showed atypical tooth-wear:
- Large macroscopic striations were visible on many teeth,
sub-vertical striations were prominent on the labial surfaces of incisors.
- Root grooves on posterior teeth were observed in half of the individuals,
some showed clear directional striations similar to “tooth-pick” grooves in fossil hominins.
- Tool-use & the habitual insertion of non-masticatory items in the mouth has not been observed in this population.
Concl.
Accidental ingestion of sand & oral processing of marine mollusks likely creates these atypical wear patterns.
Implications for similar wear that has been ass.x tool-use in fossil hominin samples were discussed.

Re: Homo tooth wear: sand & molluscs

<ucqo2i$2q7$1@sunce.iskon.hr>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=17646&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#17646

From: mario.pe...@zg.htnet.hr (Mario Petrinovic)
Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Subject: Re: Homo tooth wear: sand & molluscs
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 21:01:38 +0200
 by: Mario Petrinovic - Thu, 31 Aug 2023 19:01 UTC

On 30.8.2023. 15:50, littor...@gmail.com wrote:
> Atypical tooth wear found in fossil hominins also present in a Japanese macaque population
> Ian Towle cs 2022 doi org/10.1002/ajpa.24500
>
> Atypical tooth-wear incl. macroscopically visible striations on anterior teeth & within root grooves on posterior teeth are often regarded as evidence of non-masticatory, tool-use behavior in fossil hominins.
> Both these types of dental tissue loss are often
> - considered unique to the genus Homo,
> - suggested to be the earliest evidence of human cultural habits.
> We aim to
> - describe similar tooth-wear found in a wild primate population,
> - conduct a differential diagnosis of this atypical tissue loss.
>
> Wild Jap.macaques (Koshima Island) were provisioned regularly on the beach (part of one of the longest-running primate field-sites).
> Tooth-wear & -fractures in this group were compared to 2 other non-provisioned populations.
> Infm on diet & behavior were obtained from extensive literature & on-going field-observations.
> Results:
> All Koshima Island individuals analyzed showed atypical tooth-wear:
> - Large macroscopic striations were visible on many teeth,
> sub-vertical striations were prominent on the labial surfaces of incisors.
> - Root grooves on posterior teeth were observed in half of the individuals,
> some showed clear directional striations similar to “tooth-pick” grooves in fossil hominins.
> - Tool-use & the habitual insertion of non-masticatory items in the mouth has not been observed in this population.
> Concl.
> Accidental ingestion of sand & oral processing of marine mollusks likely creates these atypical wear patterns.
> Implications for similar wear that has been ass.x tool-use in fossil hominin samples were discussed.

Well, what can I say, finally. Thanks Marc.
I would laugh uncontrollably, but recently I heard about Victorian
etiquette, so I will just chuckle ...heh...heh...heh.

Re: Homo tooth wear: sand & molluscs

<f2a53228-7073-4938-9286-cef24f750c72n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=17647&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#17647

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 14:09:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: littoral...@gmail.com (littor...@gmail.com)
 by: littor...@gmail.com - Thu, 31 Aug 2023 21:09 UTC

Op donderdag 31 augustus 2023 om 21:01:40 UTC+2 schreef Mario Petrinovic:
Thanks, Mario, at least 8 independent facts indicate that Indonesian erectus frequently dived or shellfish:
• Archaic Homo's atypical tooth-wear was caused by "sand & oral processing of marine mollusks", Towle cs 2022 https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ajpa.24500
•H.erectus s.s. fossilized typically (always?) in coastal sediments, e.g. Mojokerto amid barnacles & corals, Trinil amid Pseudodon & Elongaria, Sangiran-17 in "brackish marsh near the coast".
•Stephen Munro discovered sea-shell engravings made by H.erectus, Joordens cs 2015 Nature 518:228–231 https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25470048/
•Ear exostoses (H.erectus & H.neand.) develop after years of cold(er) water irrigation https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5696936/
•Pachyosteosclerosis is typically & exclusively seen in slow+shallow-diving tetrapods (de Buffrénil cs 2010 J.Mamm.Evol.17:101-120), e.g. erectus’ parietal bone is 2x as thick as in gorillas.
•Brain size in erectus (2x apes & australopiths) is facilitated by sea-food, e.g. DHA docosahexaenoic acid in shellfish etc., e.g. Odontocetes, Pinnipedia.
•Pleistocene Homo even colonized overseas islands (Flores & later even Luzon) https://www.academia.edu/36193382/Coastal_Dispersal_of_Pleistocene_Homo_2018
•Homo’s stone tool use & dexterity is typical for molluscivores, cf. sea-otters etc.

Only complete idiots still belieeve their Pleistocene ancestors ran over Afr.savannas after antelopes...

> > Atypical tooth wear found in fossil hominins also present in a Japanese macaque population
> > Ian Towle cs 2022 doi org/10.1002/ajpa.24500
> > Atypical tooth-wear incl. macroscopically visible striations on anterior teeth & within root grooves on posterior teeth are often regarded as evidence of non-masticatory, tool-use behavior in fossil hominins.
> > Both these types of dental tissue loss are often
> > - considered unique to the genus Homo,
> > - suggested to be the earliest evidence of human cultural habits.
> > We aim to
> > - describe similar tooth-wear found in a wild primate population,
> > - conduct a differential diagnosis of this atypical tissue loss.
> > Wild Jap.macaques (Koshima Island) were provisioned regularly on the beach (part of one of the longest-running primate field-sites).
> > Tooth-wear & -fractures in this group were compared to 2 other non-provisioned populations.
> > Infm on diet & behavior were obtained from extensive literature & on-going field-observations.
> > Results:
> > All Koshima Island individuals analyzed showed atypical tooth-wear:
> > - Large macroscopic striations were visible on many teeth,
> > sub-vertical striations were prominent on the labial surfaces of incisors.
> > - Root grooves on posterior teeth were observed in half of the individuals,
> > some showed clear directional striations similar to “tooth-pick” grooves in fossil hominins.
> > - Tool-use & the habitual insertion of non-masticatory items in the mouth has not been observed in this population.
> > Concl.
> > Accidental ingestion of sand & oral processing of marine mollusks likely creates these atypical wear patterns.
> > Implications for similar wear that has been ass.x tool-use in fossil hominin samples were discussed.

> Well, what can I say, finally. Thanks Marc.
> I would laugh uncontrollably, but recently I heard about Victorian
> etiquette, so I will just chuckle ...heh...heh...heh.

Re: Homo tooth wear: sand & molluscs

<ucr423$bgb$1@sunce.iskon.hr>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=17649&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#17649

From: mario.pe...@zg.htnet.hr (Mario Petrinovic)
Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2023 00:26:11 +0200
 by: Mario Petrinovic - Thu, 31 Aug 2023 22:26 UTC

On 31.8.2023. 23:09, littor...@gmail.com wrote:
> [...]
>>> - Large macroscopic striations were visible on many teeth,
>>> sub-vertical striations were prominent on the labial surfaces of incisors.
>>> - Root grooves on posterior teeth were observed in half of the individuals,
>>> some showed clear directional striations similar to “tooth-pick” grooves in fossil hominins.
>>> - Tool-use & the habitual insertion of non-masticatory items in the mouth has not been observed in this population.
>>> Concl.
>>> Accidental ingestion of sand & oral processing of marine mollusks likely creates these atypical wear patterns.
>>> Implications for similar wear that has been ass.x tool-use in fossil hominin samples were discussed.
>
>> Well, what can I say, finally. Thanks Marc.
>> I would laugh uncontrollably, but recently I heard about Victorian
>> etiquette, so I will just chuckle ...heh...heh...heh.

H. floresiensis has small brain.

Re: Homo tooth wear: sand & molluscs

<2196dd98-39fc-4d05-9d92-0ac7814394d6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=17650&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#17650

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2023 07:10:33 -0700 (PDT)
From: littoral...@gmail.com (littor...@gmail.com)
 by: littor...@gmail.com - Fri, 1 Sep 2023 14:10 UTC

Op vrijdag 1 september 2023 om 00:26:13 UTC+2 schreef Mario Petrinovic:

> > Thanks, Mario, at least 8 independent facts indicate that Indonesian erectus frequently dived or shellfish:

> > • Archaic Homo's atypical tooth-wear was caused by "sand & oral processing of marine mollusks", Towle cs 2022 https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ajpa.24500
> > •H.erectus s.s. fossilized typically (always?) in coastal sediments, e.g. Mojokerto amid barnacles & corals, Trinil amid Pseudodon & Elongaria, Sangiran-17 in "brackish marsh near the coast".
> > •Stephen Munro discovered sea-shell engravings made by H.erectus, Joordens cs 2015 Nature 518:228–231 https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25470048/
> > •Ear exostoses (H.erectus & H.neand.) develop after years of cold(er) water irrigation https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5696936/
> > •Pachyosteosclerosis is typically & exclusively seen in slow+shallow-diving tetrapods (de Buffrénil cs 2010 J.Mamm.Evol.17:101-120), e.g. erectus’ parietal bone is 2x as thick as in gorillas.
> > •Brain size in erectus (2x apes & australopiths) is facilitated by sea-food, e.g. DHA docosahexaenoic acid in shellfish etc., e.g. Odontocetes, Pinnipedia.
> > •Pleistocene Homo even colonized overseas islands (Flores & later even Luzon) https://www.academia.edu/36193382/Coastal_Dispersal_of_Pleistocene_Homo_2018
> > •Homo’s stone tool use & dexterity is typical for molluscivores, cf. sea-otters etc.
> > Only complete idiots still belieeve their Pleistocene ancestors ran over Afr.savannas after antelopes...

> >> Well, what can I say, finally. Thanks Marc.
> >> I would laugh uncontrollably, but recently I heard about Victorian
> >> etiquette, so I will just chuckle ...heh...heh...heh.

> H. floresiensis has small brain.

Yes.
Island dwarfism??

Brain size of Homo floresiensis and its evolutionary implications
Daisuke Kubo cs 2013 doi org/10.1098/rspb.2013.0338
The extremely small endocranial volume ECV of LB1 (Hf type-spm) poses a challenge in our understanding of human brain evolution:
- some hypothesize dramatic dwarfing of rel.ECV from He, presumably without significant decrease in intellectual function,
- others expect a lesser degree of brain diminution from a more primitive, small-brained form of hominin, currently undocumented in E-Asia.
But uncertainties are, e.g.
-inconsistency in the published ECVs for LB1 (380–430 cc),
-unclear human intra-specific brain–body size scaling.
We accurately determine the ECV of LB1, using high-resolution micro-CT scan..
The ECV (426 cc) is larger than the commonly cited figure in previous studies (400 cc).
Coupled with Hs brain–body size correlation (calculated based on a sample from 20 worldwide modern populations), we construct new models of the ECV reduction in Hf evolution.
Result: a more significant contribution of scaling effect than previously claimed.

Re: Homo tooth wear: sand & molluscs

<ucsvmu$mrb$1@sunce.iskon.hr>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=17651&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#17651

From: mario.pe...@zg.htnet.hr (Mario Petrinovic)
Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2023 17:24:15 +0200
 by: Mario Petrinovic - Fri, 1 Sep 2023 15:24 UTC

On 1.9.2023. 16:10, littor...@gmail.com wrote:
> Op vrijdag 1 september 2023 om 00:26:13 UTC+2 schreef Mario Petrinovic:
>
>>> Thanks, Mario, at least 8 independent facts indicate that Indonesian erectus frequently dived or shellfish:
>
>>> • Archaic Homo's atypical tooth-wear was caused by "sand & oral processing of marine mollusks", Towle cs 2022 https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ajpa.24500
>>> •H.erectus s.s. fossilized typically (always?) in coastal sediments, e.g. Mojokerto amid barnacles & corals, Trinil amid Pseudodon & Elongaria, Sangiran-17 in "brackish marsh near the coast".
>>> •Stephen Munro discovered sea-shell engravings made by H.erectus, Joordens cs 2015 Nature 518:228–231 https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25470048/
>>> •Ear exostoses (H.erectus & H.neand.) develop after years of cold(er) water irrigation https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5696936/
>>> •Pachyosteosclerosis is typically & exclusively seen in slow+shallow-diving tetrapods (de Buffrénil cs 2010 J.Mamm.Evol.17:101-120), e.g. erectus’ parietal bone is 2x as thick as in gorillas.
>>> •Brain size in erectus (2x apes & australopiths) is facilitated by sea-food, e.g. DHA docosahexaenoic acid in shellfish etc., e.g. Odontocetes, Pinnipedia.
>>> •Pleistocene Homo even colonized overseas islands (Flores & later even Luzon) https://www.academia.edu/36193382/Coastal_Dispersal_of_Pleistocene_Homo_2018
>>> •Homo’s stone tool use & dexterity is typical for molluscivores, cf. sea-otters etc.
>>> Only complete idiots still belieeve their Pleistocene ancestors ran over Afr.savannas after antelopes...

>> H. floresiensis has small brain.
>
> Yes.
> Island dwarfism??
>
> Brain size of Homo floresiensis and its evolutionary implications
> Daisuke Kubo cs 2013 doi org/10.1098/rspb.2013.0338
> The extremely small endocranial volume ECV of LB1 (Hf type-spm) poses a challenge in our understanding of human brain evolution:
> - some hypothesize dramatic dwarfing of rel.ECV from He, presumably without significant decrease in intellectual function,
> - others expect a lesser degree of brain diminution from a more primitive, small-brained form of hominin, currently undocumented in E-Asia.
> But uncertainties are, e.g.
> -inconsistency in the published ECVs for LB1 (380–430 cc),
> -unclear human intra-specific brain–body size scaling.
> We accurately determine the ECV of LB1, using high-resolution micro-CT scan.
> The ECV (426 cc) is larger than the commonly cited figure in previous studies (400 cc).
> Coupled with Hs brain–body size correlation (calculated based on a sample from 20 worldwide modern populations), we construct new models of the ECV reduction in Hf evolution.
> Result: a more significant contribution of scaling effect than previously claimed.

In my view, it is obvious that those guys are more primitive (so, no
island dwarfing), yet equally intelligent as we are. And thye are not
the only ones, we also have H.naledi (if I got it right). They are both
on southern edges of human range.
Simply, Marc, your thesis of pumping human brain by sea food is wrong.
It is the thermoregulatory thing.

Re: Homo tooth wear: sand & molluscs

<f0af8384-cd55-48ce-b5d3-27671cf9713en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=17653&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#17653

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2023 11:05:28 -0700 (PDT)
From: littoral...@gmail.com (littor...@gmail.com)
 by: littor...@gmail.com - Fri, 1 Sep 2023 18:05 UTC

Op vrijdag 1 september 2023 om 17:24:17 UTC+2 schreef Mario Petrinovic:

"Homo naledi" was not Homo, of course, but Pan or Australopith.naledi,
google e.g. "australopithecus naledi verhaegen".

> >> H. floresiensis has small brain.

> > Yes. > Island dwarfism??
> > Brain size of Homo floresiensis and its evolutionary implications
> > Daisuke Kubo cs 2013 doi org/10.1098/rspb.2013.0338
> > The extremely small endocranial volume ECV of LB1 (Hf type-spm) poses a challenge in our understanding of human brain evolution:
> > - some hypothesize dramatic dwarfing of rel.ECV from He, presumably without significant decrease in intellectual function,
> > - others expect a lesser degree of brain diminution from a more primitive, small-brained form of hominin, currently undocumented in E-Asia.
> > But uncertainties are, e.g.
> > -inconsistency in the published ECVs for LB1 (380–430 cc),
> > -unclear human intra-specific brain–body size scaling.
> > We accurately determine the ECV of LB1, using high-resolution micro-CT scan.
> > The ECV (426 cc) is larger than the commonly cited figure in previous studies (400 cc).
> > Coupled with Hs brain–body size correlation (calculated based on a sample from 20 worldwide modern populations), we construct new models of the ECV reduction in Hf evolution.
> > Result: a more significant contribution of scaling effect than previously claimed.

> In my view, it is obvious that those guys are more primitive (so, no
> island dwarfing), yet equally intelligent as we are. And thye are not
> the only ones, we also have H.naledi (if I got it right). They are both
> on southern edges of human range.

> Simply, Marc, your thesis of pumping human brain by sea food is wrong.

*My* thesis??
I only see a correlation between aq.mammals & larger brains,
but why exactly why is still not fully understood AFAICS.

> It is the thermoregulatory thing.

Who knows?

Re: Homo tooth wear: sand & molluscs

<7b289d07-0041-4698-b7eb-d7f65fde260en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=17654&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#17654

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2023 16:02:23 -0700 (PDT)
From: jte...@gmail.com (JTEM is so reasonable)
 by: JTEM is so reasonabl - Fri, 1 Sep 2023 23:02 UTC

littor...@gmail.com wrote:

> "Homo naledi" was not Homo, of course, but Pan or Australopith.naledi,

I immediately thought so myself.

I'm not even sure there's that massive a difference between
Pan and Australopithecus. I mean, look how close we are to
Pan NOW! Some argue that "Pan" doesn't even exist, and we
should be classifying them as Homo. A different species of
Homo but still Homo.

Anyway, erase millions of years of evolving apart and one
would presume that Pan and Australopithecus were a good
deal closer than we are to Pan...

Actually: I would suspect that Pan is Australopithecus after
expanding greatly -- it was a VERY successful genus, last I
heard -- only to become cut off, or isolated... last man standing,
so to speak.

https://groups.google.com/g/sci.anthropology.paleo/c/VE486A_o7n4/m/KeOE4L9cBQAJ

> > Simply, Marc, your thesis of pumping human brain by sea food is wrong.
> *My* thesis??

> I only see a correlation between aq.mammals & larger brains,
> but why exactly why is still not fully understood AFAICS.

Oh, it's a done deal. Our species is hooked on DHA, and that
could never have happened absent a diet very rich in DHA.

We need it. Period. And we're supposedly way better at synthesizing
it than any archaic ancestor was...

DHA is brain food.

Think of it like this: DHA doesn't magic into bigger brains. You
need selective pressures to grow bigger brains. But our
ancestors built those bigger brains in a large part with DHA,
so we were never going to get big brains without it.

DHA all by itself is proof of Aquatic Ape.

So isn't "Coastal Dispersal."

At this point all we're arguing about is WHEN it started, how
long it went on for and what exactly it contributed to human
evolution.

-- --

https://jtem.tumblr.com/post/726650431983468546

Re: Homo tooth wear: sand & molluscs

<57af1060-fd64-4389-b012-9332ebecde2bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=17659&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#17659

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2023 10:00:56 -0700 (PDT)
From: littoral...@gmail.com (littor...@gmail.com)
 by: littor...@gmail.com - Sun, 3 Sep 2023 17:00 UTC

Op zaterdag 2 september 2023 om 01:02:25 UTC+2 schreef JTEM is so reasonable:
> littor...@gmail.com wrote:

> > "Homo naledi" was not Homo, of course, but Pan or Australopith.naledi,

Google "verhaegen naledi" :-)

> I immediately thought so myself.
> I'm not even sure there's that massive a difference between
> Pan and Australopithecus. I mean, look how close we are to
> Pan NOW! Some argue that "Pan" doesn't even exist, and we
> should be classifying them as Homo. A different species of
> Homo but still Homo.
> Anyway, erase millions of years of evolving apart and one
> would presume that Pan and Australopithecus were a good
> deal closer than we are to Pan...
> Actually: I would suspect that Pan is Australopithecus after
> expanding greatly -- it was a VERY successful genus, last I
> heard -- only to become cut off, or isolated... last man standing,
> so to speak.
> https://groups.google.com/g/sci.anthropology.paleo/c/VE486A_o7n4/m/KeOE4L9cBQAJ

Mario Petrinovic:
> > > Simply, Marc, your thesis of pumping human brain by sea food is wrong..

> > *My* thesis??
> > I only see a correlation between aq.mammals & larger brains,
> > but why exactly why is still not fully understood AFAICS.

> Oh, it's a done deal. Our species is hooked on DHA, and that
> could never have happened absent a diet very rich in DHA.
> We need it. Period. And we're supposedly way better at synthesizing
> it than any archaic ancestor was...
> DHA is brain food.
> Think of it like this: DHA doesn't magic into bigger brains. You
> need selective pressures to grow bigger brains. But our
> ancestors built those bigger brains in a large part with DHA,
> so we were never going to get big brains without it.
> DHA all by itself is proof of Aquatic Ape.
> So isn't "Coastal Dispersal."
> At this point all we're arguing about is WHEN it started, how
> long it went on for and what exactly it contributed to human
> evolution.

Yes.
Very likely IMO, Pliocene Homo (no fossils!) followed S.Asian coasts (still aquarboreal initially):
humans & orangs etc. (vs Pan, Gorilla Afr.monkeys...) lack Pliocene African retroviral DNA.
In iSEA (island SE.Asia) begin-Pleist., Homo began diving more+more for shellfish? but why exactly?
Ice Ages = more?different shellfish spp?? sea-level changes?? ...??

In any case: there's no doubt early-Pleist.H.erectus (had?) evolved from "aquarboreal" to predom."shallow-diving":
• their atypical tooth-wear was caused by "sand & oral processing of marine mollusks" https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ajpa.24500
• H.erectus s.s. fossilized in Mojokerto amid barnacles & corals, in Trinil amid Pseudodon & Elongaria (edible shellfish), in Sangiran-17 in "brackish marsh near the coast" etc.
• Stephen Munro discovered sea-shell engravings made by H.erectus (Dubois collection Leiden NL), see Joordens cs 2015 Nature 518:228 https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25470048/
• ear exostoses (H.erectus, H.neand.) develop after years of cold(er) water irrigation https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5696936/
• pachy-osteo-sclerosis is only seen in slow+shallow-diving tetrapods (de Buffrénil cs 2010 J.Mamm.Evol.17:101-120), e.g. erectus’ parietal bone is 2x as thick as in gorillas.
• brain size in erectus (2x apes=australopiths) is facilitated by sea-food, e.g. DHA docosahexaenoic acid in shellfish etc. cf. Odontocetes, Pinnipedia (but Sirenia have rel.much smaller brains than elephants).
• late-Pleist.descendants or relatives of H.erectus colonized islands far oversea (fossils Flores 100–50 ka, Luzon 67 ka) https://www.academia.edu/36193382/Coastal_Dispersal_of_Pleistocene_Homo_2018
• Homo’s stone tool use & dexterity is typical for molluscivores, cf. sea-otters.
https://www.gondwanatalks.com/l/the-waterside-hypothesis-wading-led-to-upright-walking-in-early-humans/