"Tell the truth and run." -- Yugoslav proverb

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: How to get meaningful results fron Google Play?

SubjectAuthor
* How to get meaningful results fron Google Play?Chris Green
+- Re: How to get meaningful results fron Google Play?Andy Burns
+* Re: How to get meaningful results fron Google Play?Theo
|`* Re: How to get meaningful results fron Google Play?lew
| +* Re: How to get meaningful results fron Google Play?Frank Slootweg
| |+- Re: How to get meaningful results fron Google Play?paul
| |`* Re: How to get meaningful results fron Google Play?lew
| | `* Re: How to get meaningful results fron Google Play?Frank Slootweg
| |  `* Re: How to get meaningful results fron Google Play?lew
| |   +* Re: How to get meaningful results fron Google Play?paul
| |   |`- Re: How to get meaningful results fron Google Play?lew
| |   +- Re: How to get meaningful results fron Google Play?AJL
| |   `* Re: How to get meaningful results fron Google Play?Frank Slootweg
| |    `* Re: How to get meaningful results fron Google Play?AJL
| |     `- Re: How to get meaningful results fron Google Play?paul
| +* Re: How to get meaningful results fron Google Play?paul
| |`* Re: How to get meaningful results fron Google Play?lew
| | `* Re: How to get meaningful results fron Google Play?paul
| |  `* Re: How to get meaningful results fron Google Play?Chris Green
| |   `- Re: How to get meaningful results fron Google Play?paul
| `* Re: How to get meaningful results fron Google Play?nospam
|  `- Re: How to get meaningful results fron Google Play?paul
+- Re: How to get meaningful results fron Google Play?paul
`- Re: How to get meaningful results fron Google Play?John Doe

1
How to get meaningful results fron Google Play?

<qc7orh-s6ih.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17589&group=comp.mobile.android#17589

From: cl...@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: How to get meaningful results fron Google Play?
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2021 10:55:06 +0100
 by: Chris Green - Sat, 10 Jul 2021 09:55 UTC

Is there *any* way to get useful results when searching for apps on
Google Play?

Firstly the search seems to OR all the search terms together which
makes it completely impossible to refine a search by adding more
terms. I'm not actually sure what it does with multiple terms but,
whatever it does, it's not very useful.

Secondly if you search for 'free' apps you get mostly paid for apps
which have a cut down free option which usually means it's not what
you want.

So, is there a better way to search for apps?

At the moment I find the only practical way is to ask friends and
acquaintances what they use.

--
Chris Green
·

Re: How to get meaningful results fron Google Play?

<ikta6sFtba7U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17590&group=comp.mobile.android#17590

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: How to get meaningful results fron Google Play?
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2021 11:13:47 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 10 Jul 2021 10:13 UTC

Chris Green wrote:

> Is there*any* way to get useful results when searching for apps on
> Google Play?
>
> Firstly the search seems to OR all the search terms together which
> makes it completely impossible to refine a search by adding more
> terms. I'm not actually sure what it does with multiple terms but,
> whatever it does, it's not very useful.

Putting words in quotes e.g. "dog cat" seems to work more like an AND,
than looking for the exact two word phrase.

Re: How to get meaningful results fron Google Play?

<vXB*ArMoy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17596&group=comp.mobile.android#17596

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: 10 Jul 2021 13:24:09 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Sat, 10 Jul 2021 12:24 UTC

Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
> So, is there a better way to search for apps?

I just search (in a browser on a computer) for 'app to do X' and there's
usually sites that review the top choices (to some level of superficiality).

The advantage of doing it on a computer is it doesn't immediately punt me
over to the store app when I just want to read the user reviews.

> At the moment I find the only practical way is to ask friends and
> acquaintances what they use.

That isn't a terrible plan.

Also sticking with mainstream apps means you're at slightly less risk of
installing shady apps, and more likely to hear about it if they go bad
later.

Theo

Re: How to get meaningful results fron Google Play?

<scciqu$17au$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17600&group=comp.mobile.android#17600

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (paul)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2021 18:45:32 +0200
 by: paul - Sat, 10 Jul 2021 16:45 UTC

Chris Green wrote on 10.07.2021 05:55
> Is there *any* way to get useful results when searching for apps on
> Google Play?

Yes. Of course.
(See below for an example of what I use every day.)

If I was nospam, I'd stop there, as he's always purposefully unhelpful.
If I was an apologists, I'd blame everyone but Google for these flaws.

But since I'm a purposefully helpful adult, I'll give you what I use.

In my humble opinion, using Google Play is the _worst_ way to search for
apps, but luckily, just as there are plenty of well-known FOSS mail user
agents to replace Google Play, and just as there are well-known FOSS YouTube
clients to replace YouTube, and just as there are well-known FOSS
un-chromium chromium web browsers to replace Chrome, etc., there are
well-known FOSS Google Play search clients to replace Google Play's terrible
search engine.

> Firstly the search seems to OR all the search terms together which
> makes it completely impossible to refine a search by adding more
> terms. I'm not actually sure what it does with multiple terms but,
> whatever it does, it's not very useful.

We might want to check how the booleans are interpreted as I've never had a
need to explicitly name the "and" "or" "not" terms, but it _may_ be possible
using the FOSS Google Play search client I have screenshotted below.

> Secondly if you search for 'free' apps you get mostly paid for apps
> which have a cut down free option which usually means it's not what
> you want.

If you use the FOSS Google Play search engine I suggest you try, it will
_never_ show up with payware if you selected the freeware search option!

> So, is there a better way to search for apps?

Absolutely. There are _many_ ways to search for apps, only _one_ of which is
to choose a FOSS Google Play search engine on your Android phone (as I've
illustrated below).

For example, yet another method I espouse regularly is to search on a PC
using a web browser for the "best" free apps in any category, and then to
list them by decreasing date (as many apps disappear over time) and then to
sort them by best to worst, and then look for the _overlap_ in the results.

I do this all the time whenever I'm writing a tutorial on the best apps in
any given category (so that I don't miss any good ones to test), the point
being there are _many_ good ways to find the best apps.

> At the moment I find the only practical way is to ask friends and
> acquaintances what they use.

I often ask here where I find good apps (such as NetGuard) that I didn't
even know existed, but most of the people on Android don't know of the best
apps (such as NewPipe) even though all of us here use it every day.

Personally, I think my phone is populated with the best apps, where I pretty
much have no problem finding them (as long as I know what to look for).

I'm a purposefully helpful person who can advise the OP on what I think is a
decent answer to the question, but I've explained that decent answer _many_
times, so I don't know what to say other than to suggest people _look_ at
these screenshots & see if what they portray fit their Google Play search
engine needs.
<https://i.postimg.cc/QCQSzH4t/search01.jpg>
<https://i.postimg.cc/fTs89fy0/search02.jpg>
<https://i.postimg.cc/QxWL2Fdd/search03.jpg>
<https://i.postimg.cc/tTmffb06/search04.jpg>
<https://i.postimg.cc/8PWphKW4/search05.jpg>
<https://i.postimg.cc/V6d15Dmj/search06.jpg>
<https://i.postimg.cc/ZKkZK8gd/search07.jpg>
<https://i.postimg.cc/NjDw4W06/search08.jpg>
<https://i.postimg.cc/HxcDTn9z/search09.jpg>

The FOSS Google Play search engine filters in those screenshots are
1. Filter out Google apps = yes/no
2. Filter out F-Droid apps = yes/no
3. Reset filter settings on each search = yes/no
4. Filter out GSF dependent apps = yes/no
5. Filter out payware apps = yes/no
6. Filter out adware apps = yes/no
7. Filter on ratings = all/1+/2+/3+/4+/4.5+/4.7+
8. Filter on downloads = all/100+/1K+/10K+/50K+/100K+/1M+/10M+/50M+/100M+
9. List my apps & my games
10. List all downloaded apps (and save their APKs)
11. Use anonymous account settings = yes/no
12. Show apps currently on sale
13. Maintain a blacklist manager
14. Spoof the device & the Google API level
15. Spoof the language
16. Choose the type of installation method
16. Choose the default tab = apps/games/updates
17. Display "for you pages" on home screen
18. Display "similar & related apps" on app details page
19. Generate GSF ID locally on device = yes/no
20. Save APKs to external sdcard = yes/no
21. Do NOT delete the APK post install = yes/no
22. Number of simultaneous active downloads allowed = 1 to 12
23. Categories to display = for you, top charts, categories
24. Sub categories to display = top free, top grossing, trending, top paid
25. Sub sub categories to display = apps, games, updates
etc.

Please check it out and let the rest of us know what you think of it.
--
This Usenet newsgroup allows intelligent people to share ideas.
--

Re: How to get meaningful results fron Google Play?

<sccl9s$2ne$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17603&group=comp.mobile.android#17603

From: citrustw...@google.mailer.company.invalid (lew)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2021 17:27:24 -0000 (UTC)
 by: lew - Sat, 10 Jul 2021 17:27 UTC

On 2021-07-10, Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
>> So, is there a better way to search for apps?
>
> I just search (in a browser on a computer) for 'app to do X' and there's
> usually sites that review the top choices (to some level of superficiality).
>
> The advantage of doing it on a computer is it doesn't immediately punt me
> over to the store app when I just want to read the user reviews.
>
>> At the moment I find the only practical way is to ask friends and
>> acquaintances what they use.
>
> That isn't a terrible plan.
>
> Also sticking with mainstream apps means you're at slightly less risk of
> installing shady apps, and more likely to hear about it if they go bad
> later.
>
> Theo

Then there are 2 versions of 'google play'; 1 is on an android phone or
tablet; another is via a browser. I read somewhere that the app
retrieved from a browser is a google play for developers(?).

e.g. I tried to get the 'lg thinq' app using a tablet; not found;
lg thinq is a free app for lg devices like washing machines, tv, etc.
Did find the app on apkmirror, strange!

Tried the browser to get into google play & found the 'lg thinq' app!

Did a search on why the 2 versions of google play; haven't checked
on why the lg thinq app does not appear on the tablet's google play.

Re: How to get meaningful results fron Google Play?

<sccu8h.bd8.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17606&group=comp.mobile.android#17606

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: 10 Jul 2021 18:00:31 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Sat, 10 Jul 2021 18:00 UTC

lew <citrustwosac@google.mailer.company.invalid> wrote:
> On 2021-07-10, Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> > Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
> >> So, is there a better way to search for apps?
> >
> > I just search (in a browser on a computer) for 'app to do X' and there's
> > usually sites that review the top choices (to some level of superficiality).
> >
> > The advantage of doing it on a computer is it doesn't immediately punt me
> > over to the store app when I just want to read the user reviews.
> >
> >> At the moment I find the only practical way is to ask friends and
> >> acquaintances what they use.
> >
> > That isn't a terrible plan.
> >
> > Also sticking with mainstream apps means you're at slightly less risk of
> > installing shady apps, and more likely to hear about it if they go bad
> > later.
> >
> > Theo
>
> Then there are 2 versions of 'google play'; 1 is on an android phone or
> tablet; another is via a browser.

Not quite.

'Google Play' is a *website* (<https://play.google.com/store>), which
you access with a web-browser. 'Play Store' is an *app* on your Android
device.

> I read somewhere that the app
> retrieved from a browser is a google play for developers(?).

Sorry, that doesn't make sense to me.

> e.g. I tried to get the 'lg thinq' app using a tablet; not found;
> lg thinq is a free app for lg devices like washing machines, tv, etc.
> Did find the app on apkmirror, strange!
>
> Tried the browser to get into google play & found the 'lg thinq' app!

When you tried the 'Google Play' website, you probably used your
computer, not an Android device. If so, on your computer, you were
probably not logged into your Google Account. If so, that explains the
difference: Because you were not logged into you Google Account, the
Google Play website doesn't know which - if any - Android devices you
have, so it presents *all* search results, not just the search results
which apply to your device(s).

The same - no knowledge about which device(s) you have - applies to
the search on the apkmirror website.

But on the tablet, you were logged into your Google Account, so the
Play Store app presents only results which apply to the device(s) which
use that Google Account.

Elementary, dear Watson! :-)

> Did a search on why the 2 versions of google play; haven't checked
> on why the lg thinq app does not appear on the tablet's google play.

Again, there are no "2 versions of google play". The app on the tablet
is called 'Play Store', not 'Google Play', a small but - as explained
above - very important difference.

Hope this helps.

Re: How to get meaningful results fron Google Play?

<sccnnf$19pu$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17608&group=comp.mobile.android#17608

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (paul)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2021 20:09:01 +0200
 by: paul - Sat, 10 Jul 2021 18:09 UTC

lew wrote on 10.07.2021 17:27
> e.g. I tried to get the 'lg thinq' app using a tablet; not found;
> lg thinq is a free app for lg devices like washing machines, tv, etc.
> Did find the app on apkmirror, strange!

If you understood what I suggested in my prior post in this thread, you'll
have no problems I think, obtaining _any_ app from the Google Play store.
<https://i.postimg.cc/KjzYMNR0/search10.jpg>
<https://i.postimg.cc/3NcxCvGY/search11.jpg>

For example, just moments ago, I had zero issues searching for, downloading,
and installing the LG ThinQ app on my Samsung Galaxy A32 5G (Android 11).

Bear in mind that automatically _saved_ the APK for me, so that I can re-use
it on any Android phone that I like (and so that I can easily back it up).

And bear in mind that I didn't even bother to spoof my device as an LG
device (which I was willing to do if I needed to do it as proof of concept).

It just worked.
--
On this newsgroup there are purposefully helpful people who are irked by
those who are not and by those who prefer to remain ignorant of basic facts.

Re: How to get meaningful results fron Google Play?

<sccobs$1i8m$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17609&group=comp.mobile.android#17609

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (paul)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2021 20:19:54 +0200
 by: paul - Sat, 10 Jul 2021 18:19 UTC

Frank Slootweg wrote on 10.07.2021 20:00
> Again, there are no "2 versions of google play". The app on the tablet
> is called 'Play Store', not 'Google Play', a small but - as explained
> above - very important difference.

I think it's a perfectly valid topic to flesh out what people mean when
people say "Google Play" since those words can mean different things to us.

For _me_, Google Play is simply a repository of apps.
Nothing more. Nothing less.

It's just a database of APKs (and soon to be a db of less useful AABs).

As such, GP is just a repository (just as F-Droid is a repository of apps).
Nothing more, nothing less.

How we _scrape_ that repository is where we can solve the problems that the
OP brings up, which I agree with, which is that the "application" named
"Google Play" (which is a scraper of that Google Play APK database) sucks in
terms of its persistent filtering abilities.

Worse, the "URI" which we call "Google Play" (which is a scraper of that
Google Play APK database) also sucks, when searched in a web browser, in
terms of its persistent filtering abilities.

However, the FOSS "application" which I suggest people try out (which is a
scraper of that Google Play APK database), while not perfect by any means,
is _far better_ at both persistent search filters, and in final results
(e.g., it _saves_ every APK you download, automatically).

Since my credibility on facts is the most important thing I offer here,
below are some screenshots I made to illustrate this point for this thread.
<https://i.postimg.cc/QCQSzH4t/search01.jpg>
<https://i.postimg.cc/fTs89fy0/search02.jpg>
<https://i.postimg.cc/QxWL2Fdd/search03.jpg>
<https://i.postimg.cc/tTmffb06/search04.jpg>
<https://i.postimg.cc/8PWphKW4/search05.jpg>
<https://i.postimg.cc/V6d15Dmj/search06.jpg>
<https://i.postimg.cc/ZKkZK8gd/search07.jpg>
<https://i.postimg.cc/NjDw4W06/search08.jpg>
<https://i.postimg.cc/HxcDTn9z/search09.jpg>
<https://i.postimg.cc/KjzYMNR0/search10.jpg>
<https://i.postimg.cc/3NcxCvGY/search11.jpg>
--
On Usenet we have purposefully helpful Android users who are always trying
to help others be able to do what they can do, and vice versa from them.

Re: How to get meaningful results fron Google Play?

<100720211432289559%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17612&group=comp.mobile.android#17612

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2021 14:32:28 -0400
 by: nospam - Sat, 10 Jul 2021 18:32 UTC

In article <sccl9s$2ne$1@dont-email.me>, lew
<citrustwosac@google.mailer.company.invalid> wrote:

> Then there are 2 versions of 'google play';

no there aren't.

> 1 is on an android phone or
> tablet; another is via a browser.

that's two ways to access the single google play store.

> I read somewhere that the app
> retrieved from a browser is a google play for developers(?).

i don't know what you read, but that is pure rubbish.

> e.g. I tried to get the 'lg thinq' app using a tablet; not found;
> lg thinq is a free app for lg devices like washing machines, tv, etc.
> Did find the app on apkmirror, strange!

that means something about the app is not compatible with your device,
so there's no point in showing it.

> Tried the browser to get into google play & found the 'lg thinq' app!

because it doesn't know what devices you want to install it on.

Re: How to get meaningful results fron Google Play?

<scd0sq$qbh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17619&group=comp.mobile.android#17619

From: citrustw...@google.mailer.company.invalid (lew)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2021 20:45:14 -0000 (UTC)
 by: lew - Sat, 10 Jul 2021 20:45 UTC

On 2021-07-10, paul <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> lew wrote on 10.07.2021 17:27
>> e.g. I tried to get the 'lg thinq' app using a tablet; not found;
>> lg thinq is a free app for lg devices like washing machines, tv, etc.
>> Did find the app on apkmirror, strange!
>
> If you understood what I suggested in my prior post in this thread, you'll
> have no problems I think, obtaining _any_ app from the Google Play store.
> <https://i.postimg.cc/KjzYMNR0/search10.jpg>
> <https://i.postimg.cc/3NcxCvGY/search11.jpg>
>
> For example, just moments ago, I had zero issues searching for, downloading,
> and installing the LG ThinQ app on my Samsung Galaxy A32 5G (Android 11).
>
> Bear in mind that automatically _saved_ the APK for me, so that I can re-use
> it on any Android phone that I like (and so that I can easily back it up).
>
> And bear in mind that I didn't even bother to spoof my device as an LG
> device (which I was willing to do if I needed to do it as proof of concept).
>
> It just worked.

Did you use a browser to do the search in the "google play"? or did
get the app with the icon "play store" on a tablet?

I just did a tablet play store search & the app is still not there;
did a browser general google search for 'lg thinq' & found a version in
'google play' & found the app. then unable to install as already
installed the 'latest version' but can install onto my moto e6.

Checked the tablet's play store & still lg thinq is not found.

I still believe there is a difference as "lg thinq" does not appear
on the tablet's preinstalled "play store" app icon.

I am using android 11 but it was the same problem when running
android 10.

Re: How to get meaningful results fron Google Play?

<scd1o7$qbh$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17622&group=comp.mobile.android#17622

From: citrustw...@google.mailer.company.invalid (lew)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2021 20:59:51 -0000 (UTC)
 by: lew - Sat, 10 Jul 2021 20:59 UTC

On 2021-07-10, Frank Slootweg <this@ddress.is.invalid> wrote:
> lew <citrustwosac@google.mailer.company.invalid> wrote:
>> >
>> > I just search (in a browser on a computer) for 'app to do X' and there's
>> > usually sites that review the top choices (to some level of superficiality).
>> >
>> > The advantage of doing it on a computer is it doesn't immediately punt me
>> > over to the store app when I just want to read the user reviews.

>> > That isn't a terrible plan.
>> >
>> > Also sticking with mainstream apps means you're at slightly less risk of
>> > installing shady apps, and more likely to hear about it if they go bad
>> > later.
>> >
>> > Theo
>>
>> Then there are 2 versions of 'google play'; 1 is on an android phone or
>> tablet; another is via a browser.
>
> Not quite.
>
> 'Google Play' is a *website* (<https://play.google.com/store>), which
> you access with a web-browser. 'Play Store' is an *app* on your Android
> device.
>
>> I read somewhere that the app
>> retrieved from a browser is a google play for developers(?).
>
> Sorry, that doesn't make sense to me.

sort of makes sense for the "not found" by the app.

>> e.g. I tried to get the 'lg thinq' app using a tablet; not found;
>> lg thinq is a free app for lg devices like washing machines, tv, etc.
>> Did find the app on apkmirror, strange!
>>
>> Tried the browser to get into google play & found the 'lg thinq' app!
>
> When you tried the 'Google Play' website, you probably used your
> computer, not an Android device. If so, on your computer, you were
> probably not logged into your Google Account. If so, that explains the
> difference: Because you were not logged into you Google Account, the
> Google Play website doesn't know which - if any - Android devices you
> have, so it presents *all* search results, not just the search results
> which apply to your device(s).

Does not make sense as also used the tablet's browser which found
the app in the website/store.

> The same - no knowledge about which device(s) you have - applies to
> the search on the apkmirror website.
>
> But on the tablet, you were logged into your Google Account, so the
> Play Store app presents only results which apply to the device(s) which
> use that Google Account.
>
> Elementary, dear Watson! :-)

Does not make sense as the app should show up. Your claim that the
results only shows results that apply to my tablet device makes no
sense as the app specifically for the lg wash tower which is an
lg product. I do not believe that google is stupid to do a guessing
game on what products will apply or not apply to various android
devices.

>> Did a search on why the 2 versions of google play; haven't checked
>> on why the lg thinq app does not appear on the tablet's google play.
>
> Again, there are no "2 versions of google play". The app on the tablet
> is called 'Play Store', not 'Google Play', a small but - as explained
> above - very important difference.
>
> Hope this helps.

nope.

Re: How to get meaningful results fron Google Play?

<scdale.5pk.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17625&group=comp.mobile.android#17625

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: 10 Jul 2021 21:32:14 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Sat, 10 Jul 2021 21:32 UTC

lew <citrustwosac@google.mailer.company.invalid> wrote:
> On 2021-07-10, Frank Slootweg <this@ddress.is.invalid> wrote:
> > lew <citrustwosac@google.mailer.company.invalid> wrote:

> >> Then there are 2 versions of 'google play'; 1 is on an android phone or
> >> tablet; another is via a browser.
> >
> > Not quite.
> >
> > 'Google Play' is a *website* (<https://play.google.com/store>), which
> > you access with a web-browser. 'Play Store' is an *app* on your Android
> > device.
> >
> >> I read somewhere that the app
> >> retrieved from a browser is a google play for developers(?).
> >
> > Sorry, that doesn't make sense to me.
>
> sort of makes sense for the "not found" by the app.

I meant that I don't understand what you mean by that sentence.

> >> e.g. I tried to get the 'lg thinq' app using a tablet; not found;
> >> lg thinq is a free app for lg devices like washing machines, tv, etc.
> >> Did find the app on apkmirror, strange!
> >>
> >> Tried the browser to get into google play & found the 'lg thinq' app!
> >
> > When you tried the 'Google Play' website, you probably used your
> > computer, not an Android device. If so, on your computer, you were
> > probably not logged into your Google Account. If so, that explains the
> > difference: Because you were not logged into you Google Account, the
> > Google Play website doesn't know which - if any - Android devices you
> > have, so it presents *all* search results, not just the search results
> > which apply to your device(s).
>
> Does not make sense as also used the tablet's browser which found
> the app in the website/store.

Depends which browser you used and whether or not that browser was
logged into your Google Account. If it was not logged into your Google
Account, that could/would explain the difference.

> > The same - no knowledge about which device(s) you have - applies to
> > the search on the apkmirror website.
> >
> > But on the tablet, you were logged into your Google Account, so the
> > Play Store app presents only results which apply to the device(s) which
> > use that Google Account.
> >
> > Elementary, dear Watson! :-)
>
> Does not make sense as the app should show up. Your claim that the
> results only shows results that apply to my tablet device makes no
> sense as the app specifically for the lg wash tower which is an
> lg product. I do not believe that google is stupid to do a guessing
> game on what products will apply or not apply to various android
> devices.

I thought it was a phone/tablet-related app, i.e. possibly
brand-dependent. Another explanation could be the Android version
required. The Google Play website does not know which Android version
you have, the Play Store app does know.

> >> Did a search on why the 2 versions of google play; haven't checked
> >> on why the lg thinq app does not appear on the tablet's google play.
> >
> > Again, there are no "2 versions of google play". The app on the tablet
> > is called 'Play Store', not 'Google Play', a small but - as explained
> > above - very important difference.
> >
> > Hope this helps.
>
> nope.

A little friendlier would be nice. We're just trying to help. This is
not a paid helpdesk. You didn't know the difference between the 'Google
Play' website and the 'Play Store' app. Now you - hopefully - do know.

Re: How to get meaningful results fron Google Play?

<scd534$ngp$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17631&group=comp.mobile.android#17631

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (paul)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2021 23:57:06 +0200
 by: paul - Sat, 10 Jul 2021 21:57 UTC

lew wrote on 10.07.2021 20:45
> Did you use a browser to do the search in the "google play"? or did
> get the app with the icon "play store" on a tablet?

I used the most common widely known free open source Google Play client.
It's the same Google Play client almost everyone who knows anything uses.
It's free. It's open source. It's well tested. It's well updated.

It does everything the OP asks for (AFAICT), and more.
And it had no problem downloading the app you asked about on my 3 phones.
> I just did a tablet play store search & the app is still not there;
> did a browser general google search for 'lg thinq' & found a version in
> 'google play' & found the app. then unable to install as already
> installed the 'latest version' but can install onto my moto e6.

I have a Moto G7 also, and it downloaded without any problems there also.

> Checked the tablet's play store & still lg thinq is not found.

I also have an LG Stylo 3 Plus, where it downloaded there also, no problem.

> I still believe there is a difference as "lg thinq" does not appear
> on the tablet's preinstalled "play store" app icon.

I think what Frank was trying to explain is apropos.
The method I used adds to everything that Frank explained.

> I am using android 11 but it was the same problem when running
> android 10.

My LG Stylo 3 Plus is on Android 7, while the Moto G7 is Android 10,
so I don't think it's the Android version (my A32 is on Android 11).

I think the _simplest_ way I can explain it is that there's a repository
which we can call "Google Play" but it can be accessed by a variety of
scrapers, only one of which is the "Google Play" app itself.

It's no different than having a Google Account where you can access your
email via any number of scrapers such as Edison Mail (or whatever).

Again, it's no different than having a video database which is accessed by
either the YouTube app or by the NewPipe app or by a web browser.

The concept is the same in all these examples.
1. Google maintains the repository which has an API to access it
2. Any client can be written to access that repository
3. One of those clients is a web browser but others exist

For me, it just worked no matter what phone I tested it on for you.
--
Usenet is where people can help each other by sharing their experiences.

Re: How to get meaningful results fron Google Play?

<scdhnf$l6c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17639&group=comp.mobile.android#17639

From: citrustw...@google.mailer.company.invalid (lew)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2021 01:32:32 -0000 (UTC)
 by: lew - Sun, 11 Jul 2021 01:32 UTC

On 2021-07-10, Frank Slootweg <this@ddress.is.invalid> wrote:
> lew <citrustwosac@google.mailer.company.invalid> wrote:

>> > Not quite.
>> >
>> > 'Google Play' is a *website* (<https://play.google.com/store>), which
>> > you access with a web-browser. 'Play Store' is an *app* on your Android
>> > device.

>> > Sorry, that doesn't make sense to me.
>>
>> sort of makes sense for the "not found" by the app.
>
> I meant that I don't understand what you mean by that sentence.

>> > When you tried the 'Google Play' website, you probably used your
>> > computer, not an Android device. If so, on your computer, you were
>> > probably not logged into your Google Account. If so, that explains the
>> > difference: Because you were not logged into you Google Account, the
>> > Google Play website doesn't know which - if any - Android devices you
>> > have, so it presents *all* search results, not just the search results
>> > which apply to your device(s).
>>
>> Does not make sense as also used the tablet's browser which found
>> the app in the website/store.
>
> Depends which browser you used and whether or not that browser was
> logged into your Google Account. If it was not logged into your Google
> Account, that could/would explain the difference.
>
>> > The same - no knowledge about which device(s) you have - applies to
>> > the search on the apkmirror website.
>> >
>> > But on the tablet, you were logged into your Google Account, so the
>> > Play Store app presents only results which apply to the device(s) which
>> > use that Google Account.
>> >
>> > Elementary, dear Watson! :-)
>>
>> Does not make sense as the app should show up. Your claim that the
>> results only shows results that apply to my tablet device makes no
>> sense as the app specifically for the lg wash tower which is an
>> lg product. I do not believe that google is stupid to do a guessing
>> game on what products will apply or not apply to various android
>> devices.
>
> I thought it was a phone/tablet-related app, i.e. possibly
> brand-dependent. Another explanation could be the Android version
> required. The Google Play website does not know which Android version
> you have, the Play Store app does know.

>> > Again, there are no "2 versions of google play". The app on the tablet
>> > is called 'Play Store', not 'Google Play', a small but - as explained
>> > above - very important difference.
>> >
>> > Hope this helps.
>>
>> nope.
>
> A little friendlier would be nice. We're just trying to help. This is
> not a paid helpdesk. You didn't know the difference between the 'Google
> Play' website and the 'Play Store' app. Now you - hopefully - do know.

I do understand that but the frustration continues as to why the
difference exists. My naiveness shows in when a company says their
app is on google play, I have always gotten the app via the play store
app on the tablet; I have never used a browser to access the google
play to get the app, until now. Now I am aware of the difference
in the name usage & that not everything available on google play
is also on the play store. The widget installed on a tablet is useless
and very misleading. The tablets without the play store are in
much better shape. Wish I had known before going lots of
trouble in getting play store install on the Kindle Fire HDX back
in 2014-15 time frame or even on the fire tv stick more recently.

A short while ago I did a google search using
the criteria "google play vs playstore app" & a result that seems
to be reasonable popped up on the 1st explanation; but without
explanation who did the interpretation.
result:
"Google Play Store is more developers friendly as compared to App Store. Although, App Store is based on quality assurance, Google Play Store is more user-friendly. However, being developers friendly does not assure a better quality."

Still truly doesn't explain why. I did not use a public free google
client but will lookf for it. there is also an icon/widget on the
tablet that says "google" & when clicking on it, it is just a
google search app & so wanted me to decide whether to use
firefox or chrome browser.

Now I find that if I download & install firefox from 'play store' app
I get prompted & forced to enter my password for my google account
before I can use firefox. I have uninstalled firefox & will be
looking for another browser which does not require me to sign on
to google. Looks to be more changes required of apps to be on
play store.

Re: How to get meaningful results fron Google Play?

<scdkae$19v2$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17643&group=comp.mobile.android#17643

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (paul)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2021 04:17:01 +0200
 by: paul - Sun, 11 Jul 2021 02:17 UTC

lew wrote on 11.07.2021 01:32
> I did not use a public free google client but will look for it.

No need to look as it's the most well known FOSS Google Play client which
scrapes apps off Google repositories (& which was shown in my screenshots).

Aurora Store (A Google Playstore Client) <https://auroraoss.com/>
https://f-droid.org/en/packages/com.aurora.store/

Note the Aurora Droid scraper is _also_ better than is the F-Droid app:
<https://auroraoss.com/download/>

Both scrapers can automatically _not delete_ the APK after installing.
--
Android users, together, know more than any one user does alone.

Re: How to get meaningful results fron Google Play?

<scdls7$1n1g$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17644&group=comp.mobile.android#17644

From: noem...@none.com (AJL)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2021 19:43:21 -0700
 by: AJL - Sun, 11 Jul 2021 02:43 UTC

On 7/10/2021 6:32 PM, lew wrote:

> tablets without the play store are in
> much better shape. Wish I had known before going lots of
> trouble in getting play store install on the Kindle Fire HDX back
> in 2014-15 time frame

I installed the Play Store on both my HD10(2019) and HD8+(2020) Fire
tablets and it is a great improvement over the Amazon Appstore alone
IMO. The Appstore has a much poorer selection and is missing some of the
apps I use whereas the Play Store has them (with updates). Many Appstore
apps refuse to open without an internet connection to Amazon, whereas no
such problem with the very same app from the Play Store (or sideloaded).
Many of the apps in the Appstore are several versions behind the same
app in the Play Store.

I am kinda surprised that Amazon allows the installation of the Play
Store (and sideloading) in their otherwise locked down tablets. For the
price they're a relatively good deal. For the curious here's the specs:

Amazon Fire HD 10 (9th Generation-2019) Paid $119 US on sale
Screen 1920x1200 16:10 PPI=224
2GB RAM    32GB Storage

Fire HD8+ (10th Generation-2020) Paid $89 US on sale
Screen 800x1280 16:10 PPI=189
3GB RAM   32GB Storage

And the best part? They both run the Usenet reader Groundhog great
unlike my more expensive Android toys...

Re: How to get meaningful results fron Google Play?

<scdlvc$1niq$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17645&group=comp.mobile.android#17645

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (paul)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2021 04:45:15 +0200
 by: paul - Sun, 11 Jul 2021 02:45 UTC

nospam wrote on 10.07.2021 20:32
>> Then there are 2 versions of 'google play';
> no there aren't.

We have to standardize what we mean by "Google Play" where the way I
understand it is that Google maintains an app repository of APKs.

That Google app repository entails certain APIs which other apps (such as
web browsers) can use to 'scrape' apps off of that Google app repository.

Hence, there can be any number of "clients" (or scrapers) which can download
and install & update (to maintain) apps which the user puts on their phone.

>> 1 is on an android phone or
>> tablet; another is via a browser.
>
> that's two ways to access the single google play store.

Two scrapers that can scrap apps off the Google app repository are
1. Any web browser pointed to <https://play.google.com/store/apps>
2. Any Android Google Play client 'scraper' app such as the Aurora Store
<https://f-droid.org/en/packages/com.aurora.store/>
>> I read somewhere that the app
>> retrieved from a browser is a google play for developers(?).
>
> i don't know what you read, but that is pure rubbish.

In the future, there may be a huge difference in what you get off of the
Google app repository, given the switch from APK to AAB for new apps,
depending on _how_ you obtain the app from that Google repository.
<https://www.huaweicentral.com/aab-android-app-bundle-everything-about-the-future-of-apk/#>

Personally, I see AAB as a bad thing, much like the way IPAs are for iOS
where the user doesn't benefit - but the mother ship does benefit.

>> e.g. I tried to get the 'lg thinq' app using a tablet; not found;
>> lg thinq is a free app for lg devices like washing machines, tv, etc.
>> Did find the app on apkmirror, strange!
>
> that means something about the app is not compatible with your device,
> so there's no point in showing it.

The app downloaded on three of my Android phones but I didn't test further
than to see if the login prompt popped up as I didn't need to test further.

Luckily, with a proper FOSS Google Play client you can spoof _any_ hardware
and you can spoof any location and any language and any Android API level,
etc., if you really want an app that won't download otherwise,

However, _none_ of that spoofing was necessary as I downloaded the app on my
Samsung and it appeared to just work (as far as I tested it for lew today).
<https://i.postimg.cc/KjzYMNR0/search10.jpg>
<https://i.postimg.cc/3NcxCvGY/search11.jpg>

>> Tried the browser to get into google play & found the 'lg thinq' app!
>
> because it doesn't know what devices you want to install it on.

The difference between a purposefully helpful person and you, nospam, who
are a despicable person in almost all ways possible, is that you simply
spout bullshit without ever bothering to test or cite anything.

Your credibility is no better than the result of that of a coin toss.
--
Alan Baker, Alan Browne, Chris, Haemactylus, Joerg Lorenz, Jolly Roger,
Lewis, nospam, Rod Speed, Savageduck, Wade Garrett, Wolffan, Your Name,
et al. all are despicable people who wish to remain ignorant of facts.

Re: How to get meaningful results fron Google Play?

<fpkqrh-nq9m.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17649&group=comp.mobile.android#17649

From: cl...@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2021 08:55:59 +0100
 by: Chris Green - Sun, 11 Jul 2021 07:55 UTC

paul <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> lew wrote on 10.07.2021 20:45
> > Did you use a browser to do the search in the "google play"? or did
> > get the app with the icon "play store" on a tablet?
>
> I used the most common widely known free open source Google Play client.
> It's the same Google Play client almost everyone who knows anything uses.
> It's free. It's open source. It's well tested. It's well updated.
>
> It does everything the OP asks for (AFAICT), and more.
> And it had no problem downloading the app you asked about on my 3 phones.

OP here. So it's Aurora you're referring to? I already have F-Droid,
if Aurora is similar but better then, yes, it may well be what I want,
thank you.

--
Chris Green
·

Re: How to get meaningful results fron Google Play?

<sceb83$43g$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17652&group=comp.mobile.android#17652

From: always.l...@message.header (John Doe)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2021 08:48:03 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Doe - Sun, 11 Jul 2021 08:48 UTC

Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:

> Is there *any* way to get useful results when searching for apps on
> Google Play?

No.

> So, is there a better way to search for apps?

Yes.

Use Google's regular search engine...

allintext:dji "mini 2" site:play.google.com

Re: How to get meaningful results fron Google Play?

<scetv0$17ag$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17659&group=comp.mobile.android#17659

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (paul)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2021 16:07:42 +0200
 by: paul - Sun, 11 Jul 2021 14:07 UTC

Chris Green wrote on 11.07.2021 09:55
> OP here. So it's Aurora you're referring to?

This entire post is a repeat of information I've already provided.
Of course it was the Aurora Store - it was in _all_ the screenshots.

The Aurora Store app is to Google Play what the NewPipe app is to YouTube.
It's _not_ the same as the F-Droid app (they're completely different repos).

> I already have F-Droid, if Aurora is similar but better then, yes, it may
> well be what I want, thank you.

Oh Jesus. It's not so much that you don't know _anything_ but that you don't
bother to even _look_ at the screenshots I so painstakingly provided.

Nor do you even _look_ at the URLs I so painstakingly provided for you.

At the risk of repeating the obvious, what you just said is like saying that
K-9 Mail is the same as GMail simply because they scrape the same database.

They're DIFFERENT apps that scrape the same database.

At the risk of repeating the super obvious, the Aurora Store is a Google
Play database scraper that does what the Google Play app does, but better.

Just like how the NewPipe app is a Google YouTube video database scraper
that does what the Google YouTube app does, but better.

Just like how the K-9 Mail app is a Google email (IMTP/SMTP/POP3) scraper
that does what the Google GMail app does, but better.

Just like how the Aurora Droid app is an F-Droid repository APK scraper that
does what the F-Droid app does, but better.

In summary, and to repeat the obvious, F-Droid is an app and a repository,
whose scrapers include the F-Droid app and the even better Aurora Droid app.

Just as Google Play is an app and a repository whose scrapers include the
Google Play app and the even better Aurora Store app.

Note that the Aurora Store app can _also_ scrape the F-Droid repository.
But the opposite isn't true (AFAIK).
--
On the Android newsgroups, there are far fewer trolls like the Carlos troll.

Re: How to get meaningful results fron Google Play?

<scf62g$r4c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17663&group=comp.mobile.android#17663

From: citrustw...@google.mailer.company.invalid (lew)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2021 16:25:52 -0000 (UTC)
 by: lew - Sun, 11 Jul 2021 16:25 UTC

On 2021-07-11, paul <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> lew wrote on 11.07.2021 01:32
>> I did not use a public free google client but will look for it.
>
> No need to look as it's the most well known FOSS Google Play client which
> scrapes apps off Google repositories (& which was shown in my screenshots).
>
> Aurora Store (A Google Playstore Client) <https://auroraoss.com/>
> https://f-droid.org/en/packages/com.aurora.store/
>
> Note the Aurora Droid scraper is _also_ better than is the F-Droid app:
><https://auroraoss.com/download/>
>
> Both scrapers can automatically _not delete_ the APK after installing.

Thank your. I think I am very outdated, like my computer & body.

Re: How to get meaningful results fron Google Play?

<scfjj1.cdc.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17666&group=comp.mobile.android#17666

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: 11 Jul 2021 18:16:42 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Sun, 11 Jul 2021 18:16 UTC

lew <citrustwosac@google.mailer.company.invalid> wrote:

[All deleted]

> I do understand that but the frustration continues as to why the
> difference exists. My naiveness shows in when a company says their
> app is on google play, I have always gotten the app via the play store
> app on the tablet; I have never used a browser to access the google
> play to get the app, until now. Now I am aware of the difference
> in the name usage & that not everything available on google play
> is also on the play store. The widget installed on a tablet is useless
> and very misleading. The tablets without the play store are in
> much better shape. Wish I had known before going lots of
> trouble in getting play store install on the Kindle Fire HDX back
> in 2014-15 time frame or even on the fire tv stick more recently.

Ah, I see! Your tablet is not a normal Android tablet, but an Amazon
Kindle tablet (e-reader).

I have no experience with such a tablet, but AJL, who responded in
this thread, does.

My little tidbits:

I noted that the Google Play page for the 'LG ThinQ' app [1] only
shows screenshots of a smartphone, not of a tablet. It is quite possible
that this app is not compatible with / designed for a tablet. That would
explain why the Play Store app on the tablet does not present it when
you search for it. (A developer can specify whether or not their app
supports a tablet (or smartphone)).

That an app is not designed for a tablet, does not neccessarily mean
that it does not work on a tablet, it might or it might not.

Since you found the APK of the app on the apkmirror site, I suggest
you download the APK and (try to) install ('sideload') it on you Kindle
tablet. If you don't know how to install/'sideload', probably AJL can
help with that.

Good luck.

[1] <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lgeha.nuts>

[...]

Re: How to get meaningful results fron Google Play?

<scffoq$r22$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17667&group=comp.mobile.android#17667

From: noem...@none.com (AJL)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2021 12:11:24 -0700
 by: AJL - Sun, 11 Jul 2021 19:11 UTC

On 7/11/2021 11:16 AM, Frank Slootweg wrote:
> lew <citrustwosac@google.mailer.company.invalid> wrote:
>
> [All deleted]
>
>> I do understand that but the frustration continues as to why the
>> difference exists. My naiveness shows in when a company says
>> their app is on google play, I have always gotten the app via the
>> play store app on the tablet; I have never used a browser to access
>> the google play to get the app, until now. Now I am aware of the
>> difference in the name usage & that not everything available on
>> google play is also on the play store. The widget installed on a
>> tablet is useless and very misleading. The tablets without the
>> play store are in much better shape. Wish I had known before going
>> lots of trouble in getting play store install on the Kindle Fire
>> HDX back in 2014-15 time frame or even on the fire tv stick more
>> recently.
>
> Ah, I see! Your tablet is not a normal Android tablet,

Both my Fire HD10 and HD8+ tablets run Android 9.0. Course they call it
Fire OS 7.x.x. But you're right, it's definitely not a "normal" Android
tablet and I doubt many normal folks like to play with them as lew and I do.

BTW I'm hoping Amazon won't update it further since Groundhog becomes a
read only newsreader after Android 10 but of course that's unlikely.
They've had several updates since I bought them.

> but an Amazon Kindle tablet (e-reader) > I have no experience with
> such a tablet, but AJL, who responded in this thread, does.
>
> My little tidbits:
>
> I noted that the Google Play page for the 'LG ThinQ' app [1] only
> shows screenshots of a smartphone, not of a tablet. It is quite
> possible that this app is not compatible with / designed for a
> tablet. That would explain why the Play Store app on the tablet does
> not present it when you search for it. (A developer can specify
> whether or not their app supports a tablet (or smartphone)).
>
> That an app is not designed for a tablet, does not neccessarily mean
> that it does not work on a tablet, it might or it might not.
>
> Since you found the APK of the app on the apkmirror site, I suggest
> you download the APK and (try to) install ('sideload') it on you
> Kindle tablet. If you don't know how to install/'sideload', probably
> AJL can help with that.

The easiest way is to stick the apk on an SD card and use the built in
Files app to run it (just like any NORMAL Android tablet :). But
installing the Play Store requires sideloading
and since lew did that earlier he obviously already knows how.

> Good luck.
>
> [1] <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lgeha.nuts>
>
> [...]

Re: How to get meaningful results fron Google Play?

<scfk23$j20$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17670&group=comp.mobile.android#17670

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (paul)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2021 22:24:49 +0200
 by: paul - Sun, 11 Jul 2021 20:24 UTC

AJL wrote on 11.07.2021 21:11
> Both my Fire HD10 and HD8+ tablets run Android 9.0. Course they call it
> Fire OS 7.x.x. But you're right, it's definitely not a "normal" Android
> tablet and I doubt many normal folks like to play with them as lew and I do.

Can those amazon things download & use the FOSS third-party APK scrapers?

Given the search results are super meaningful from non-Google scrapers
Aurora Store === A better, FOSS Google Play repository scraper
<https://files.auroraoss.com/AuroraStore/Stable/>
Aurora Droid === A better, FOSS F-Droid repository scraper
<https://files.auroraoss.com/AuroraDroid/Stable/>

I'm curious whether these Amazon things can load apps from other repos.
<https://auroraoss.com/download/#aurora-store>

Can those tablets also install the Aurora Store Google Play repo scraper?
<https://f-droid.org/en/packages/com.aurora.store/>

Can they install the AuroraDroid F-Droid repository scraper?
<https://files.auroraoss.com/AuroraDroid/Stable/>
--
On the Android newsgroup we can learn about equipment we don't yet have.

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: How to get meaningful results fron Google Play?