One way to make your old car run better is to look up the price of a new model.

interests / sci.anthropology.paleo / Re: Acheulian underwater collection of aquati nuts

SubjectAuthor
* Acheulian underwater collection of aquati nutslittor...@gmail.com
`* Re: Acheulian underwater collection of aquati nutsJTEM is so reasonable
 `- Re: Acheulian underwater collection of aquati nutslittor...@gmail.com

1
Acheulian underwater collection of aquati nuts

<95638c7e-7cac-41b7-8119-0f3d50d46d52n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=17811&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#17811

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2023 14:15:58 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Acheulian underwater collection of aquati nuts
From: littoral...@gmail.com (littor...@gmail.com)
 by: littor...@gmail.com - Tue, 3 Oct 2023 21:15 UTC

Beneath Still Waters - Multistage Aquatic Exploitation of Euryale ferox (Salisb.) during the Acheulian
Naama Goren-Inbar, Yoel Melamed, Irit Zohar & Shanti Pappu 2014
Internet Archaeology 37 doi 10.11141/ia.37.1

Remains of the highly nutritious aquatic plant Fox nut (Euryale ferox Salisb., Nymphaeaceae) were found at the Acheulian site of Gesher Benot Ya'aqov, Israel.
Here, we present new evidence for complex cognitive strategies of hominins as seen in their exploitation of E.ferox nuts.
We draw on excavated data & on parallels observed in traditional collecting & processing practices from Bihar, India.
We suggest:
during the early Mid-Pleistocene, hominins implemented multi-stage procedures comprising underwater gathering & subsequent processing: drying, roasting & popping of E.ferox nuts.
Hierarchical processing strategies are observed in the Acheulian lithic reduction sequences & butchering of game at this & other sites, but are poorly understood as regards the exploitation of aquatic plant resources. We highlight the ability of Acheulian hominins to resolve issues related to underwater gathering of E.ferox nuts during the plant's life cycle, and to adopt strategies to enhance their nutritive value.

Re: Acheulian underwater collection of aquati nuts

<6bd74b4d-3828-4b02-b9c4-2509eea9acdbn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=17815&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#17815

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2023 11:00:41 -0700 (PDT)
From: jte...@gmail.com (JTEM is so reasonable)
 by: JTEM is so reasonabl - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 18:00 UTC

littor...@gmail.com wrote:

> We suggest:
> during the early Mid-Pleistocene, hominins implemented multi-stage procedures
> comprising underwater gathering & subsequent processing: drying, roasting &
> popping of E.ferox nuts. Hierarchical processing strategies are observed in the
> Acheulian lithic reduction sequences & butchering of game at this & other sites,
> but are poorly understood as regards the exploitation of aquatic plant resources.
> We highlight the ability of Acheulian hominins to resolve issues related to
> underwater gathering of E.ferox nuts during the plant's life cycle, and to adopt
> strategies to enhance their nutritive value.

If true, this is proto agriculture.

They harvested plants and, according to this, dried them for future use.

And it SIGNIFICANTLY pre dates the first glimpses of agriculture inside the
Holocene.

Like: Göbekli Tepe.

Supposedly, between the end of the last glacial period and the start of the
Younger Dryas cooling, there was a thriving proto agricultural civilization(s)
in the Levant up into Anatolia. But these would be way, Way, WAY younger
than what you cite, if true.

Imagine: Aquatic Ape giving rise to agriculture!

-- --

https://jtem.tumblr.com/post/727701377221083136

Re: Acheulian underwater collection of aquati nuts

<c1f11ea1-aee4-458c-9431-e2905351c801n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=17816&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#17816

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2023 13:34:22 -0700 (PDT)
From: littoral...@gmail.com (littor...@gmail.com)
 by: littor...@gmail.com - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 20:34 UTC

Op woensdag 4 oktober 2023 om 20:00:42 UTC+2 schreef JTEM is so reasonable:

Beneath Still Waters - Multistage Aquatic Exploitation of Euryale ferox (Salisb.) during the Acheulian
Naama Goren-Inbar cs 2014 Internet Archaeology 37 doi 10.11141/ia.37.1
Remains of the highly nutritious aquatic plant Fox nut Euryale ferox (Nymphaeaceae) were found at the Acheulian site of Gesher Benot Ya'aqov, Israel.
Here, we present new evidence for complex cognitive strategies of hominins as seen in their exploitation of E.ferox nuts.
We draw on excavated data & on parallels observed in traditional collecting & processing practices from Bihar, India.
We suggest: early Mid-Pleistocene hominins implemented multi-stage procedures:
underwater gathering & subsequent processing: drying, roasting & popping of E.ferox nuts.
Hierarchical processing strategies are observed in the Acheulian lithic reduction sequences & butchering of game at this & other sites,
but are poorly understood as regards the exploitation of aquatic plant resources.
We highlight the ability of Acheulian hominins
- to resolve issues related to underwater gathering of E.ferox nuts during the plant's life cycle,
- to adopt strategies to enhance their nutritive value.

> If true, this is proto agriculture.
> They harvested plants and, according to this, dried them for future use.
> And it SIGNIFICANTLY pre dates the first glimpses of agriculture inside the
> Holocene.
> Like: Göbekli Tepe.
> Supposedly, between the end of the last glacial period and the start of the
> Younger Dryas cooling, there was a thriving proto agricultural civilization(s)
> in the Levant up into Anatolia. But these would be way, Way, WAY younger
> than what you cite, if true.
> Imagine: Aquatic Ape giving rise to agriculture!

Rice (shallow water plant) is still mankind's most important food?