From: benli...@ihug.co.nz (Ross Clark)
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Subject: Benjamin Franklin born (17-1-1706)
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2024 11:41:13 +1300
 by: Ross Clark - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 22:41 UTC

A Scheme for a new Alphabet and a Reformed Mode of Spelling, with
Remarks and Examples (1768)

Yes, among a hundred other things, Franklin was interested in, and wrote
about, improving English spelling.

His proposal involved eliminating six letters (CJQWXY) and adding new
understanding of phonetics for his time (says Crystal).

Unsurprisingly, his ideas attracted little interest, though apparently
they had some influence on Noah Webster.

Re: Benjamin Franklin born (17-1-1706)

<87le8nun7t.fsf@parhasard.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=17939&group=sci.lang#17939

From: keh...@parhasard.net (Aidan Kehoe)
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Subject: Re: Benjamin Franklin born (17-1-1706)
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2024 07:15:02 +0000
 by: Aidan Kehoe - Thu, 18 Jan 2024 07:15 UTC

Ar an t-ochtú lá déag de mí Eanair, scríobh Ross Clark:

> A Scheme for a new Alphabet and a Reformed Mode of Spelling, with Remarks and
> Examples (1768)
>
> Yes, among a hundred other things, Franklin was interested in, and wrote
> about, improving English spelling.
>
> His proposal involved eliminating six letters (CJQWXY) and adding new letters
> phonetics for his time (says Crystal).
>
> Unsurprisingly, his ideas attracted little interest, though apparently they
> had some influence on Noah Webster.

There’s a new motivation out there for a possible actual improvement of English
spelling; ChatGPT. If the publishers can all settle on a new spelling (whether
it is actually improved or not), that may make the output of ChatGPT obsolete,
given its training data would reflect the existing spelling. And it’s only
really the publishers that *can* enforce a standard spelling.

I suppose the counterpoint is the next iteration of ChatGPT could have an
output filter that transformed to the new spelling without too much fuss. Oh
well.

--
‘As I sat looking up at the Guinness ad, I could never figure out /
How your man stayed up on the surfboard after fourteen pints of stout’