Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste -- ksh@cis.ufl.edu put this on Tshirts in '93

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: 10 second video clip

SubjectAuthor
* 10 second video clipFromTheRafters
+* Re: 10 second video clipnospam
|`* Re: 10 second video clipFromTheRafters
| `* Re: 10 second video clipnospam
|  +* Re: 10 second video clipFromTheRafters
|  |`* Re: 10 second video clipnospam
|  | `* Re: 10 second video clipFromTheRafters
|  |  `* Re: 10 second video clipCarlos E. R.
|  |   `* Re: 10 second video clipFromTheRafters
|  |    `* Re: 10 second video clipCarlos E. R.
|  |     +* Re: 10 second video clipkelown
|  |     |`- Re: 10 second video clipCarlos E. R.
|  |     `* Re: 10 second video clipFromTheRafters
|  |      `* Re: 10 second video clipCarlos E. R.
|  |       `* Re: 10 second video clipnospam
|  |        `* Re: 10 second video clipCarlos E. R.
|  |         `- Re: 10 second video clipnospam
|  `* Re: 10 second video clipAndy Burns
|   `* Re: 10 second video clipnospam
|    `- Re: 10 second video clipFromTheRafters
+* Re: 10 second video clipVanguardLH
|`* Re: 10 second video clipFromTheRafters
| `* Re: 10 second video clipkelown
|  `* Re: 10 second video clipFromTheRafters
|   +* Re: 10 second video clipnospam
|   |`* Re: 10 second video clipFromTheRafters
|   | `- Re: 10 second video clipCarlos E. R.
|   +- Re: 10 second video clipkelown
|   +* Re: 10 second video clipkelown
|   |`* Re: 10 second video clipFromTheRafters
|   | `* Re: 10 second video clipkelown
|   |  `* Re: 10 second video clipFromTheRafters
|   |   +- Re: 10 second video clipFromTheRafters
|   |   `* Re: 10 second video clipkelown
|   |    `* Re: 10 second video clipFromTheRafters
|   |     `- Re: 10 second video clipFromTheRafters
|   +- Re: 10 second video clipCalum
|   `- Re: 10 second video clipDavid Higton
+- Re: 10 second video clipNY
`- Re: 10 second video clipM.L.

Pages:12
Re: 10 second video clip

<sd9o0o$5gf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17906&group=comp.mobile.android#17906

From: kel...@privacy.invalid (kelown)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: 10 second video clip
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2021 13:11:33 -0500
 by: kelown - Wed, 21 Jul 2021 18:11 UTC

> After I split, I still need to make the 10 second video smaller than 1MB.
> And then I have to make sure the MMS app won't compress that even further.

You're doing the project backwards. I want to stress that you need to
compress the original video first, then losslessly split it. Otherwise
you'll need to compress 6 resulting videos instead of one.

Video Compression:

You want to compress a 60 sec video (you don't mention the container)
from 165MB to 6MB (6 x 10 sec splits at 1MB each).

Video Converter, Compressor is the only Android app that let me adjust
video and audio quality sliders to see the resulting file size in
real-time. I found that the 3gp format gave the smallest file size for
the quality.
https://t.ly/dJqX

Re: 10 second video clip

<tmamshxoic.ln2@minas-tirith.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17909&group=comp.mobile.android#17909

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2021 21:55:41 +0200
 by: Carlos E. R. - Wed, 21 Jul 2021 19:55 UTC

On 20/07/2021 19.37, FromTheRafters wrote:
> Carlos E. R. used his or her keyboard to write :
>> We are telling you NOT to use MMS messaging apps.
>>
>> Use messaging apps that can send videos with no limitations, and for
>> free everywhere.
>
> Every phone has MMS (and all my recipients have free unlimited MMS).

Yes, but you forget that with modern, non MMS messaging applications, we
just send big or small videos, any length and resolution, instantly, at
the tap of a button.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: 10 second video clip

<sda3fs$m3f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17911&group=comp.mobile.android#17911

From: kel...@privacy.invalid (kelown)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2021 16:27:21 -0500
 by: kelown - Wed, 21 Jul 2021 21:27 UTC

:
>>> We are telling you NOT to use MMS messaging apps.
>>>
>>> Use messaging apps that can send videos with no limitations, and for
>>> free everywhere.
>>
>> Every phone has MMS (and all my recipients have free unlimited MMS).
>
> Yes, but you forget that with modern, non MMS messaging applications, we
> just send big or small videos, any length and resolution, instantly, at
> the tap of a button.

Except for relatively rare RCS messaging, that works only if both
participants use the same Internet messaging app.

Re: 10 second video clip

<j4hmshxhef.ln2@minas-tirith.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17912&group=comp.mobile.android#17912

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2021 23:45:23 +0200
 by: Carlos E. R. - Wed, 21 Jul 2021 21:45 UTC

On 21/07/2021 23.27, kelown wrote:
> :

>>> Every phone has MMS (and all my recipients have free unlimited MMS).
>>
>> Yes, but you forget that with modern, non MMS messaging applications, we
>> just send big or small videos, any length and resolution, instantly, at
>> the tap of a button.
>
> Except for relatively rare RCS messaging, that works only if both
> participants use the same Internet messaging app.

Here, everybody does.

Otherwise, no problem, I install all.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: 10 second video clip

<sdaqmt$1k9p$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17917&group=comp.mobile.android#17917

From: erra...@nomail.afraid.org (FromTheRafters)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2021 23:03:54 -0500
 by: FromTheRafters - Thu, 22 Jul 2021 04:03 UTC

kelown used his or her keyboard to write :
>> After I split, I still need to make the 10 second video smaller than 1MB.
>> And then I have to make sure the MMS app won't compress that even further.
>
> You're doing the project backwards.

Thanks for your advice as you're the only one providing useful suggestions.

I'm not at all worried about the order of splitting & compression as that's
a secondary consideration. A primary consideration is being able to do them.

On Windows, this FFMPEG command does the splitting within seconds.
ffmpeg -i in.mp4 -threads 3 -vcodec copy -f segment -segment_time 0:10 out%02d.mp4

On Android, I'm still testing some of the splitters, but yours is nice:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=io.github.videosplitterapp

However the best solution would be one like the ffmpeg solution below that
snips & compresses only the one short-segment section that will be sent.

> I want to stress that you need to compress the original video first,
> then losslessly split it. Otherwise you'll need to compress 6 resulting
> videos instead of one.

The order isn't the problem as I'm only going to send the one cutest snip.

That's why I kind of like this ffmpeg command which does only 1 compression.
ffmpeg -ss 40 -t 10 -i in.mp4 -map_metadata -1 -vf scale="iw/4:-1",fps=10 -vcodec libx265 -crf 35 -ar 12000 out.mp4

That Windows ffmpeg command snips out and then compresses only the single
cutest ten-second section (defined here as from time 40 plus 10 seconds)
compressing that down to 480p correcting the aspect ratio, but reducing the
framerate and downsampling the audio too (perhaps a bit too much though).

I'm simply looking for the exact same functionality as that, on Android.

> Video Compression:
> You want to compress a 60 sec video (you don't mention the container)
> from 165MB to 6MB (6 x 10 sec splits at 1MB each).

Nope. I want to compress only the one cutest short segment.
It doesn't matter if I compress the rest (or not) as they'll be thrown away.

BTW, I said quite a few times what the container & codecs are where I've
found "Media Info" to be a good cross platform app to tell me this data.
https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download/Windows
https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download/Android

> Video Converter, Compressor is the only Android app that let me adjust
> video and audio quality sliders to see the resulting file size in
> real-time. I found that the 3gp format gave the smallest file size for
> the quality.
> https://t.ly/dJqX

Thank you for your advice (which, for example, is far better than the advice
to ditch MMS altogether that the Europeans seem to advocate) to try this
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.inverseai.video_converter

As you seem to be aware, once I tried these tasks, I could see that each app
had a nice way of making it easier for the user to choose the cutest
segment, and then to compress only that cutest segment to a result whose
quality is acceptable for a <1MB MMS video attachment.

I will try out your suggestion above and I should let you know I've been
trying the ones I previously sent you, where I'm aiming for the best ad free
app (if possible) that does the required steps, which seem to me to be
1. Allow you to play the large video to select the cutest short segment
2. Allow you to snip out & compress that one short segment in one step
3. Allow you to send that one segment via MMS without further shrinkage

Having tested at least a dozen apps so far I agree with you that the user
interface makes a huge difference so I will be looking at this Inverse.AI
tool next, even as it has ads and I'm only seeking an ad free solution.

BTW, to repeat, this was my original list of apps to test one by one.

Splitters (none have ads)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.splitit
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.teeco.videosplitter
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.techforia.storyvideosplitter
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.insta.video.trimer.splitter.status
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ishara.software.co.droidsplitter
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.trailblazer.supercut
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.curvegraph.deocut
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vdodev.videosplitter

Compressors (none have ads)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.contentarcadeapps.videoeditor
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sybu.imageresizer
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mycp.videocompress
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.apowersoft.beecut
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fittech.videomusiceditor
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.digipom.easymediaconverter
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.videocompressoractivity
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.snape.shivichu.videocompressor
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=protect.videoeditor
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.impetus.compressvideo
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.coverter.videoconverter.videocutter.videotrim
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.video.compressor.size.reducer
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.longervideos.app

Media Info
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.mediaarea.mediainfo

But I agree with you now, after having tested some of them already, that the
best apps will be ones that do both the selection of the single cutest
segment and the compression in the same user interface sequence of steps.

I'll be testing things so I will report back only when I have something to
say that is of use to you and to me and to anyone doing the same task.

Re: 10 second video clip

<sdar3f$1o3t$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17918&group=comp.mobile.android#17918

From: erra...@nomail.afraid.org (FromTheRafters)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2021 23:10:36 -0500
 by: FromTheRafters - Thu, 22 Jul 2021 04:10 UTC

Carlos E. R. used his or her keyboard to write :
>> Every phone has MMS (and all my recipients have free unlimited MMS).
>
> Yes, but you forget that with modern, non MMS messaging applications, we
> just send big or small videos, any length and resolution, instantly, at
> the tap of a button.

I really appreciate your help as I do want to solve this problem but will
you please stop telling me to do something that makes no sense in the USA.

I heard you the first time when you made that suggestion to do what you
Europeans are forced to do because your MMS is not free & unlimited.

I even heard you the second time, the third time, and the fourth and fifth
times you suggested I ditch using the one common universal protocol that
EVERYONE in the USA has on their phone messaging app.

I understand you want me to call up everyone on my contacts list and
negotiate with each of them for them to ditch their existing MMS app to use
something else which you in Europe are all forced to use - just so that I
can solve this problem of shrinking the cutest 10 section video segment.

OK. I heard you. Now stop saying it as it's an idiotic suggestion.

I saw other people (not just me) telling you it was an idiotic suggestion.
I responded to you a few times and deleted that response as too acrimonious.

But you persist.
So I have to tell you again that we, in the USA, mostly have unlimited MMS.

You don't. I understand that. You're forced to use your idiotic suggestion.
So you need to find some other way to send an MMS than by using MMS.

Which is idiotic but I get it because MMS costs you money.
I'd do the same thing if I were in Europe.

But I'm not.
I'm in the USA where everyone has MMS and it's unlimited for most of us.

So we aren't forced to negotiate with everyone to use some other solution.
We can send MMS to anyone and they will get it and be happy with it.

To the solution itself I've been working on what that is, and I've come very
close to what a working solution should be, which kelown is helping me with.

Essentially there are two different solutions.

The first is to plan ahead and take the video using the special video button
included with the MMS app (which takes reasonably small viewable videos).
When I do that, the results are good but I have to plan ahead to do it.

If I already have the video, then it's almost certainly huge so it must be
decreased in length, size, and quality which kelown and I are working on.

Task 1 is finding the cutest 10 second segment to send.
Task 2 is splitting it off and then resizing it so that it's less than 1MB.
Task 3 is using an MMS agent that won't shrink that any further than that!

I'm working hard with kelown to solve this and I'm even communicating with
the support personnel of the MMS apps I'm using. If only the MMS app did not
shrink the video, I'd be fine with the results kelown & I have for 1 & 2.

I'll discuss more about the solutions kelown and I are working on in a post
to kelown as I'm still testing for the best splitters and shrinkers.

I already have a good solution on Windows so I'm working on a good solution
for Android which does what the Windows solution does, in a single step.

Re: 10 second video clip

<sdb0bs$1abr$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17919&group=comp.mobile.android#17919

From: erra...@nomail.afraid.org (FromTheRafters)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2021 00:40:25 -0500
 by: FromTheRafters - Thu, 22 Jul 2021 05:40 UTC

FromTheRafters used his or her keyboard to write :
> Thank you for your advice (which, for example, is far better than the advice
> to ditch MMS altogether that the Europeans seem to advocate) to try this
> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.inverseai.video_converter

Thank you for those suggestions of compression and splitter Android apps
as I'm very much interested in solving this problem which seems universal.

I installed that Inverse.AI video converter as a test of what it does well.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.inverseai.video_converter

Each time it opens it pops ads on top & then on bottom which is distracting.

I hit the red "video converter" button which brings up a "Browse" button.
I've found a browse button to be essential to bring up my file manager.

If it has its own browser it usually is very hard to view what I want from a
photo/video gallery, which is a mess compared to what a file manager shows.

I liked that I could choose multiple videos but I only selected one video.

When I bring up the source.mp4 it comes up with a very helpful screen
Format = MP4
Resolution = 1080p
Subtitle Tracks = none
Audio Tracks = Audio1(ENG)
Frame Rate = 29.93
Video Codec = H264
Audio Codec = AAC

I can set the output where I ticked 360p out of the resolution choices of
1920x1080p, 960p, 720p, 640p, 480p, 360p, 320p, 240p, 144p

I left the frame rate alone but there were many choices from 300 to 23.
I left the audio codec at AAC but other choices were MP3 & MP2.

Turning on the "Compress" button I was faced with the choice of
Video Bitrate = it defaulted to 3417 KB/S 70% (with a nice slider)
Audio Bitrate = it defaulted to 256 KB/S 100% (with a nice slider)

I pressed the "Convert" button which asked me for conversion speed.
I left the "Conversion Speed" at the default.
I left the "Keep Metadata" checkbox checked.

As an aside, which you will see done differently with the splitter kelown
suggested, a few times I had to "go back" using the back button and each
time the app forced me to start all over again. This is not a big deal but
later on you'll see a better way that the video splitter handled going back.

I liked that it has an "Add to Queue" option but I opted to "Start Now."

It played a loud ad while converting, which pretty much kills it,
but what I'm looking for are the features to seek in a free app.

Killing the loud ad after it was done showed a progress bar which was nice.
Unlike many apps I've tested, it said where it stored the output file
Saved as /storage/emulated/0/videoconverter/videoconverter/source.MP4
Original 163.28MB 1920x1080, Output 34.31MB 640x260

There was a convenient "Play" button which was a nice touch, along with an
equally convenient "Share" button but 34MB is still too big to send via MMS.

To split that file using the splitter earlier recommended by kelown
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=io.github.videosplitterapp
I used the video splitter browse to find the videoconverter results.

I then used the video splitter "Custom" button to set the splits at 10
second intervals and hit the "Split Now" button which ran reasonably fast.

Accidentally I had split at the wrong interval where I was pleasantly
surprised that by hitting the back button, it allowed me to hit a button to
"Start Over With the Same Video" (which was a nice touch considering the
compression program forced me to search for the original file over again).

It then said "Splits Done" and then had an "Open" button which brought me to
the 9 split sections (I set it to 9 seconds each). I could easily click on
each 9-second split to choose manually the cutest one to send via MMS.

By long pressing on the cutest split, I was able to "Share" with my MMS app.
In /storage/emulated/0/Movies/Video Splitter/source/Custom time splits/
with each file being about 1.5MB to 2MB in size, so I need to compress more
or snip to 5 seconds instead of to 10 seconds (which I will try next).

The five second splits were around 800KB to 900KB which is just about
perfect for my AT&T carrier limit of 1MB per each outgoing MMS message.

Unfortunately my default MMS app compressed that 800KB video to 20KB when
sent, so what I need now is an MMS app that won't compress the results!

The ChompSMS app has a setting for 1MB MMS carrier limits but it has ads.
I'm looking for an SMS app that has 1MB MMS video size limits but no ads.

Re: 10 second video clip

<sdb0uv$j58$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17920&group=comp.mobile.android#17920

From: kel...@privacy.invalid (kelown)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2021 00:50:20 -0500
 by: kelown - Thu, 22 Jul 2021 05:50 UTC

, I'm still testing some of the splitters, but yours is nice:
> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=io.github.videosplitterapp
>
> However the best solution would be one like the ffmpeg solution below that
> snips & compresses only the one short-segment section that will be sent.

This is a new requirement not mentioned in your OP. Your OP task was to
simply split a video into 10 sec segments, followed compression to 1MB
for each segment.

You should have been looking for a video editor, not a splitter. None of
the splitters I recommended are suitable for your task unless they also
have splicing capability, which I did not check for.

>> I want to stress that you need to compress the original video first,
>> then losslessly split it. Otherwise you'll need to compress 6
>> resulting videos instead of one.
>
> The order isn't the problem as I'm only going to send the one cutest snip.

I recommended compressing first because it would save you the time of
re-encoding 6 video instead of just one. But now you changed the task to
splicing a video to extract just one segment, not splitting it.

> Nope. I want to compress only the one cutest short segment. > It doesn't matter if I compress the rest (or not) as they'll be thrown
> away.

Again, that's a different requirement from that of your OP.

>> Video Converter, Compressor is the only Android app that let me adjust
>> video and audio quality sliders to see the resulting file size in
>> real-time. I found that the 3gp format gave the smallest file size for
>> the quality.
>> https://t.ly/dJqX
>
> Thank you for your advice (which, for example, is far better than the
> advice
> to ditch MMS altogether that the Europeans seem to advocate) to try this
> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.inverseai.video_converter

> I will try out your suggestion above and I should let you know I've been
> trying the ones I previously sent you, where I'm aiming for the best ad
> free
> app (if possible) that does the required steps, which seem to me to be
> 1. Allow you to play the large video to select the cutest short segment

That's a new task not described in your OP. You originally just wanted
to split the original video into x segments for further compression.

> 2. Allow you to snip out & compress that one short segment in one step
> 3. Allow you to send that one segment via MMS without further shrinkage

Re: 10 second video clip

<sdb58t$13b0$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17922&group=comp.mobile.android#17922

From: erra...@nomail.afraid.org (FromTheRafters)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2021 02:04:10 -0500
 by: FromTheRafters - Thu, 22 Jul 2021 07:04 UTC

kelown used his or her keyboard to write :
> This is a new requirement not mentioned in your OP. Your OP task was to
> simply split a video into 10 sec segments, followed compression to 1MB
> for each segment.

I don't know why you consider it a "new task" since the goal always was the
universal goal of being able to send a short segment of a video over MMS.

While the order of splitting versus compression is meaningless to me, what I
didn't know at first was that my default MMS app is the worse offender in
that it takes the 800KB perfectly reasonable video and destroys it to 25KB.

I tested with the adware ChompSMS which has a setting to not compress a 1MB
video. When I sent the 893.4KB 5-second video over my default MMS app, it
compressed it to 20KB but over ChompSMS it was 909KB in total size, as sent.

I also didn't know at first that most people must be hitting the video
button inside their MMS app which brings up a GUI that takes small usable
video - but you have to plan ahead because this doesn't work on existing
video.

Also, at first, I was unaware that just splitting wasn't enough. I must
compress. A lot.

So what you're calling "new tasks" is simply details on the original goal
which is to be able to send a video segment of the cutest video over MMS.

The actual order (compression & then splitting vs splitting & then
compression) is a meaningless distinction to me as the goal is to be able to
do the job. Over time I can hone which is more efficient to do first.

> You should have been looking for a video editor, not a splitter.

Yes.
I never knew at the beginning that compression was going to be required.
I had thought I only need to split, at the beginning (before I tried it).
If I had known what I know now, I would have asked for a video editor.

> None of
> the splitters I recommended are suitable for your task unless they also
> have splicing capability, which I did not check for.

I think the splitters are fine.
No video is going to be the five to ten seconds that must be sent over MMS.
So in the end, both splitting and compression will be required.

In fact three things are required (the order of the first two won't matter).
Compression and splitting (or splitting & compression)
An SMS app that has a setting for the AT&T limits of 1MB per outgoing MMS

>>> I want to stress that you need to compress the original video first,
>>> then losslessly split it. Otherwise you'll need to compress 6
>>> resulting videos instead of one.
>>
>> The order isn't the problem as I'm only going to send the one cutest snip.
>
> I recommended compressing first because it would save you the time of
> re-encoding 6 video instead of just one. But now you changed the task to
> splicing a video to extract just one segment, not splitting it.

It doesn't matter to me the order.

It could be splitting and then compression or the other way around.
The order doesn't matter to me.

Best, of course is what a video editor does but I didn't know that at first.

Best would be to choose the cutest 10 second segment and then just split and
compress it (or compress and split it) where I don't care about the order.

My problem is easy now that you've found good compression and splitting
tools. I just need to find the ad free equivalents of the tools you provided
(one of which is fine but the other has ads).

Likewise I need to find an ad free equivalent of my default SMS app since
ChompSMS does the job perfectly but it supposedly has ads (although I
haven't seen any ads yet but maybe there's a trial period I'm in).

>> Nope. I want to compress only the one cutest short segment.
> It doesn't matter if I compress the rest (or not) as they'll be thrown
>> away.
>
> Again, that's a different requirement from that of your OP.

Yes. I agree with you that I am no good at this task. I stink at it.
At first I thought I only needed splitting.
Then I realized needed compression.
Then when I had those, I realized I need a better MMS app.

The ChompSMS app works perfectly but eventually it will show ads.
I am working with the developers of my current SMS app to ask them to add
this feature because they're compressing the 900 MB 5-second video to 20KB.

At least ChompSMS sends the 900MB video as is.

> That's a new task not described in your OP. You originally just wanted
> to split the original video into x segments for further compression.

If splitting alone would have set the size to below 1MB I would be fine.
But splitting isn't enough.

I didn't know that in the beginning when I first asked for a solution.
Now I know that.

I can't change the technical problems in sending an MMS video.

The resulting video must be long enough (5 to 10 seconds) to be useful.
And the video has to be below 1MB to keep in terms of AT&T's max limit.
And the SMS app has to not shrink it any further if it's below 1MB.

These are the requirements anyone else would have if they want to do this.
I just didn't know those were the requirements when I first asked for help.

At this point I have a good set of compression & splitters to test.
I will keep testing them until I find the best one and I'll keep that one.

The problem now is finding a good SMS app that won't compress further
if the size of the MMS is already below AT&T's outgoing 1MB max size.

ChompSMS works but it will eventually start throwing ads in my face.
I tried QKSMS but it doesn't even have the option to attach a video.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.moez.QKSMS

QKSMS can attach a photo but it is blind to videos for some reason.
What I need now is an SMS app that can attach <1MB videos.

Meanwhile, I'll continue to test for the best splitters and compressors.

Re: 10 second video clip

<d5ooshxsr4.ln2@minas-tirith.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17933&group=comp.mobile.android#17933

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2021 19:57:33 +0200
 by: Carlos E. R. - Thu, 22 Jul 2021 17:57 UTC

On 22/07/2021 06.10, FromTheRafters wrote:
> Carlos E. R. used his or her keyboard to write :
>>> Every phone has MMS (and all my recipients have free unlimited MMS).
>>
>> Yes, but you forget that with modern, non MMS messaging applications, we
>> just send big or small videos, any length and resolution, instantly, at
>> the tap of a button.
>
> I really appreciate your help as I do want to solve this problem but will
> you please stop telling me to do something that makes no sense in the USA.
>
> I heard you the first time when you made that suggestion to do what you
> Europeans are forced to do because your MMS is not free & unlimited.
>
> I even heard you the second time, the third time, and the fourth and fifth
> times you suggested I ditch using the one common universal protocol that
> EVERYONE in the USA has on their phone messaging app.
>
> I understand you want me to call up everyone on my contacts list and
> negotiate with each of them for them to ditch their existing MMS app to use
> something else which you in Europe are all forced to use - just so that I
> can solve this problem of shrinking the cutest 10 section video segment.
>
> OK. I heard you. Now stop saying it as it's an idiotic suggestion.

There is no need to insult.

But if I were to send a cute video like that, I would prefer to send it
full, it would make no sense to just send a small section because of
stupid software limitations.

At best, I would select myself the start and end points to choose the
best possible section of the video, and I would send that - not generate
a bunch of cuts of ten seconds each and then choose one. I find that
idiotic, sorry.

I am not the only one to think like this.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: 10 second video clip

<220720211438084673%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17936&group=comp.mobile.android#17936

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2021 14:38:08 -0400
References: <scvu2r$1vuk$1@gioia.aioe.org> <170720212055412257%nospam@nospam.invalid> <sd01vj$12h0$1@gioia.aioe.org> <170720212256457349%nospam@nospam.invalid> <sd0cvk$6mv$1@gioia.aioe.org> <180720210508418684%nospam@nospam.invalid> <sd2aq6$17bd$1@gioia.aioe.org> <u03hshx4k6.ln2@minas-tirith.valinor> <sd71l6$kco$1@gioia.aioe.org> <tmamshxoic.ln2@minas-tirith.valinor> <sdar3f$1o3t$1@gioia.aioe.org> <d5ooshxsr4.ln2@minas-tirith.valinor>
 by: nospam - Thu, 22 Jul 2021 18:38 UTC

In article <d5ooshxsr4.ln2@minas-tirith.valinor>, Carlos E. R.
<robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:

> On 22/07/2021 06.10, FromTheRafters wrote:
> > I really appreciate your help as I do want to solve this problem but will
> > you please stop telling me to do something that makes no sense in the USA.
> >
> > I heard you the first time when you made that suggestion to do what you
> > Europeans are forced to do because your MMS is not free & unlimited.
> >
> > I even heard you the second time, the third time, and the fourth and fifth
> > times you suggested I ditch using the one common universal protocol that
> > EVERYONE in the USA has on their phone messaging app.
> >
> > I understand you want me to call up everyone on my contacts list and
> > negotiate with each of them for them to ditch their existing MMS app to use
> > something else which you in Europe are all forced to use - just so that I
> > can solve this problem of shrinking the cutest 10 section video segment.
> >
> > OK. I heard you. Now stop saying it as it's an idiotic suggestion.
>
> There is no need to insult.
>
> But if I were to send a cute video like that, I would prefer to send it
> full, it would make no sense to just send a small section because of
> stupid software limitations.
>
> At best, I would select myself the start and end points to choose the
> best possible section of the video, and I would send that - not generate
> a bunch of cuts of ten seconds each and then choose one. I find that
> idiotic, sorry.
>
> I am not the only one to think like this.

you do realize who this person actually is, right?

it's been obvious for quite some time now.

Re: 10 second video clip

<382aa7b6-663f-4a7b-95db-0e98b7feb541n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17945&group=comp.mobile.android#17945

Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2021 00:11:47 -0700 (PDT)
From: mell...@gmail.com (M.L.)
 by: M.L. - Fri, 23 Jul 2021 07:11 UTC

On Saturday, July 17, 2021 at 7:53:51 PM UTC-5, FromTheRafters wrote:
> I have a 165MB 1 minute mp4-a taken on a smartphone (also copied to Windows)
> I need to send over SMS on a smartphone in probably 10 second intervals.
>
> How would you break a 1 minute m4a into six ten second clips for SMS?

After trialing a lot more Windows video splitters, I found that the previously mentioned Easiest Free Media Splitter (Windows, no ads, portable) app is easier and faster at losslessly splitting a video into a bunch of 10 second (or 1MB) clips. No compression needed if the original video quality is low enough to automatically create a 10 sec video in 1MB chunks. No compression needed if you simply split a 165MB video into 165 1MB parts and choose from those.

The app quickly and losslessly split my 112MB 21:12 minute vid into 129 ten-second clips (1282 secs/10) by simply dropping the renamed file onto the software interface.
This was by far the fastest and easiest way to split a video file into smaller segments. I couldn't find an Android app to match that performance.

https://easiestsoft.com/win/a-free-media-splitter/?free-m-split

Re: 10 second video clip

<ceaqshxb4h.ln2@minas-tirith.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17946&group=comp.mobile.android#17946

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2021 10:15:40 +0200
 by: Carlos E. R. - Fri, 23 Jul 2021 08:15 UTC

On 22/07/2021 20.38, nospam wrote:
> In article <d5ooshxsr4.ln2@minas-tirith.valinor>, Carlos E. R.
> <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On 22/07/2021 06.10, FromTheRafters wrote:
>>> I really appreciate your help as I do want to solve this problem but will
>>> you please stop telling me to do something that makes no sense in the USA.
>>>
>>> I heard you the first time when you made that suggestion to do what you
>>> Europeans are forced to do because your MMS is not free & unlimited.
>>>
>>> I even heard you the second time, the third time, and the fourth and fifth
>>> times you suggested I ditch using the one common universal protocol that
>>> EVERYONE in the USA has on their phone messaging app.
>>>
>>> I understand you want me to call up everyone on my contacts list and
>>> negotiate with each of them for them to ditch their existing MMS app to use
>>> something else which you in Europe are all forced to use - just so that I
>>> can solve this problem of shrinking the cutest 10 section video segment.
>>>
>>> OK. I heard you. Now stop saying it as it's an idiotic suggestion.
>>
>> There is no need to insult.
>>
>> But if I were to send a cute video like that, I would prefer to send it
>> full, it would make no sense to just send a small section because of
>> stupid software limitations.
>>
>> At best, I would select myself the start and end points to choose the
>> best possible section of the video, and I would send that - not generate
>> a bunch of cuts of ten seconds each and then choose one. I find that
>> idiotic, sorry.
>>
>> I am not the only one to think like this.
>
> you do realize who this person actually is, right?
>
> it's been obvious for quite some time now.

No :-?

Surely not Arlen?

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: 10 second video clip

<230720210704362757%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17947&group=comp.mobile.android#17947

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2021 07:04:36 -0400
References: <scvu2r$1vuk$1@gioia.aioe.org> <170720212055412257%nospam@nospam.invalid> <sd01vj$12h0$1@gioia.aioe.org> <170720212256457349%nospam@nospam.invalid> <sd0cvk$6mv$1@gioia.aioe.org> <180720210508418684%nospam@nospam.invalid> <sd2aq6$17bd$1@gioia.aioe.org> <u03hshx4k6.ln2@minas-tirith.valinor> <sd71l6$kco$1@gioia.aioe.org> <tmamshxoic.ln2@minas-tirith.valinor> <sdar3f$1o3t$1@gioia.aioe.org> <d5ooshxsr4.ln2@minas-tirith.valinor> <220720211438084673%nospam@nospam.invalid> <ceaqshxb4h.ln2@minas-tirith.valinor>
 by: nospam - Fri, 23 Jul 2021 11:04 UTC

In article <ceaqshxb4h.ln2@minas-tirith.valinor>, Carlos E. R.
<robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:

> >> There is no need to insult.
> >>
> >> But if I were to send a cute video like that, I would prefer to send it
> >> full, it would make no sense to just send a small section because of
> >> stupid software limitations.
> >>
> >> At best, I would select myself the start and end points to choose the
> >> best possible section of the video, and I would send that - not generate
> >> a bunch of cuts of ten seconds each and then choose one. I find that
> >> idiotic, sorry.
> >>
> >> I am not the only one to think like this.
> >
> > you do realize who this person actually is, right?
> >
> > it's been obvious for quite some time now.
>
> No :-?
>
> Surely not Arlen?

numerous things fit his style, too many to be a coincidence.

Re: 10 second video clip

<sdfp45$1il7$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17954&group=comp.mobile.android#17954

From: erra...@nomail.afraid.org (FromTheRafters)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2021 20:07:31 -0500
 by: FromTheRafters - Sat, 24 Jul 2021 01:07 UTC

> Meanwhile, I'll continue to test for the best splitters and compressors.

I just tested this adware because it ran ffmpeg native on Android.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.silentlexx.ffmpeggui

The log file says the ffmpeg it comes with is version 4.4 20150123.
It can even accept an external FFMPEG build if you put it in the folder
/sdcard/FFMPEG/bin/your-ffmpeg-build

It comes with its own file manager but it's not able to see the sd card.
Using Windows I copied the input.mp4 to the phone's internal storage.
Then the inherent file manager was able to see that input video file.

The original was 1920x1024 but it let me downsize that with a manual
selection where you need to know the 16:9 ratio of 320x180 by heart.

It had "template" choices which included (among many others not listed)
Video MP4 (openh264/aac)
Video MP4 (h264/aac)
Video AVI (MPEG4/Lame)
Video MP4 (h265/aac)
Video AVI (Xvid/Lame)
Video OGV (Theora/Vorbis)
Video MOV (mjpeg/Lame)
Video 3gp (h263/aac)
(and a long list of other options)

What's nice is it said it will run FFMPEG with the options of:
-c:v libopenh264 -q:v 5 -c:a aac -ab 128k -ar 44100
When I pressed the green "Play" arrow, it converted the file.

It's nice that it rings a loud characteristic bell when it's done.

The log said it ran the command
ffmpeg -y -i "/storage/emulated/0/test/input.mpg" -s 320x180
-c:v libopenh264 -q:v 5 -c:a aac -ab 128k -ar 44100
"/storage/emulated/0/DCIM/FFMPEG/input.mp4"

What I don't like about the app is it displays ads but what I like about the
app is it tells me exactly what FFMPEG command it's running under whatever
templates I give it - which will be useful when running FFMPEG on Windows.

The original file was a 10-second 1080p segment which was 20MB in size.
The new file was 1/10th that in size, at 2.4MB (still 2-1/2 times too big).

I changed the template to "Video MP4 (openh264/aac)" and it asked if I
wanted to overwrite the output file, but it was still 2.4MB when done.

When I ran it on the original 165MB 1:20min 1080p source.mp4, it took only a
minute and shrank that down to 19.8MB which, again, is around 90% smaller.

In both cases the results were definitely viewable, but I need to figure out
the options to shrink it down to less than 1MB.

Next I tried 240p which calculates to 240x9/16=135 so that's 240x135.
That shrunk the 165MB 1080p 1:20min long source file to 17 MB.
It shrunk the 20MB 10-second 1080p input file to 1.9 MB.

Then I used the free video splitter & compression tool to cut that further.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=io.github.videosplitterapp

With that video splitter set to cut the file in half and to use "low"
quality the resulting 1.9MB file was chopped to 750KB which is small enough.

The quality suffered of course so I still need to tweak the arguments.

But I think the best part of the "FFmpeg Media Encoder" adware is that it
provides a good set of FFMPEG command option templates for Windows.

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: 10 second video clip